Rugby World Cup

Posted by: redeye on 05 October 2003

Less than a week to go Smile

This thread should give the English members of the forum a chance to 'bang on' about how wonderful their team is before the All Blacks have to burst the bubble by soundly kicking England's bum Wink

Any Australians on this forum??

red
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by redeye
Who would've guessed it'd be this easy winding up England rugby supporters?

Seriously Chaps, I think you have a wonderful team there. Simply wonderful

Clive Woodward is God etc etc..

red
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by redeye
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick Dixon:

Even the French might fancy their chances Wink

QUOTE]

"Even the French"??

I actually have a nasty feeling those guys might ruin everybodys party. They've looked very slick at times and very few pundits are actually picking them. Watch out!

red
Posted on: 04 November 2003 by andy c
quote:
Who would've guessed it'd be this easy winding up England rugby supporters?

redeye
and.... your point is? well? WELL? Big Grin
I'm only jealous 'cos your mob has won it and we ain't yet!

xx
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by andy c
Well,
Richard Hill being doubtful v Wales is no doubt a blow, but England should see them off ok.
They will have to play as well as they did in the 2nd half against SA the whole game v France to beat the French tho....
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
My predictions.

Scotland embarrassed.

NZ stretched but SA do not have the back line wit to turn pressure into enough points.

Ireland to beat France by raining high balls on a dodgy defence. May be best game of the quarters, lots of points scored?

England stifle Wales with low scoring win.

Bruce
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by redeye
It still worries me that we have no Tana in midfield, South Africa must be delighted with that. Pound for pound our best player no question.

This could be a real nail-biter

red
Posted on: 08 November 2003 by Minky
NZ 29, RSA 9

I hate to say "I told you so" because I didn't, so I won't.

Yeeeeehaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by andy c
Mmm not convincing - but England still won... grinding it back in the 2nd half.
The sweat continues...
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by Two-Sheds
quote:
Mmm not convincing - but England still won... grinding it back in the 2nd half.
The sweat continues...

You can only beat what is put in front of you. I'm not as confident of success as I was before the tournament, but so far England have done just enough to win, I'll be happy enough if they can do that for another two games
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by redeye
Its kinda starting to look like a NZ v France final isn't it?

Thought the French loose forwards were brilliant at times. This side seems very focused compared to a lot of the French teams in the past. I'll pick them to beat England.

AB's should put the Wallabies away without too many dramas. No disrespect to the Aussies but apart from a couple of huge wins against very weak opposition they've been pretty poor. Some of their standout players of the past simply aren't performing and the league recruits aren't quite up to this level (yet).

I'm with Richie on wanting a NZ/Eng final though, simply because at the moment I think we stand a better chance of beating Eng than France.

What a difference a month can make.

red
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by long-time-dead
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Woodhouse:
My predictions.

Scotland embarrassed.

Beaten - YES
Embarrassed - NO

There's no disgrace losing to a better team !
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by MichaelC
Well, the performance today does not leave me with a great deal of confidence for the game against France. If France are on song I have a horrible feeling England will be on a plane back home.

Back to today's game - I thought Mike Catt's second half appearance was somewhat timely. I am concerned though that the indiscipline cannot be reigned in. Shaky stuff.

The Welsh can return with their heads held high - I didn't think I would be saying that before the tournament.

Regards

Mike
Posted on: 09 November 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
The only person embarrassed in the Scotland game was the referee, who was awful! Frankly neither side looked very inspired. So many errors by Austrlia it is hard to see them putting one over NZ, even if they continue to get away with their usual tactics of feigned injuries and deliberate obstruction. Scotland won enough ball to have won if only they had some wit and invention out wide. Townsend was totally invisible (again).

France were on fire. France/NZ final must be the neutrals choice and unless it all 'clicks' England will not change that. At least they started to use Robinson better, he gets more room and opportunities at full back and should stay there IMHO.

Bruce
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by Dave J
Poor ref'ing nonwithstanding, Scotland played a poor game. The handling was awful and Townsend had bugger all impact on the game. It was a shame because Australia didn't look particularly impressive. The All Blacks should comfortably beat them.

What about Wales, though? What a dramatic improvement.
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by matthewr
I must admit to watching my first game of the Egg Chasing World Cup this weekend and quite enjoying the Welsh performance. A bit sad they got knocked out but hopefully the French will do a number on the English this weekend.

Normally I admire and even have a grudging aftection for Aussie sports teams -- in the way one really admires a perfectly deigned and built BMW even if one would never do anything as tasteless as to actually own one -- but their Rugby Union team is still blighted by its association with the most hateful man in all of sport David Campese so I shall be cheering on NZ in the other semi.

Matthew
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by matthewr
Patrick,

I would have thought it obvious that such comments were not meant to be taken literally.

Matthew
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by John Channing
The point about Campese is that no-one likes him, not even his former teammates and definitely no-one associated with the current Australian team which he has done nothing but whinge about.
John
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by redeye
Yeah, that was pretty funny. A total Campo moment Big Grin

red
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by Dave J
quote:
but hopefully the French will do a number on the English this weekend.

Why, Matthew?
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by matthewr
Dave,

Because I don't like the England Rugby Union team. I have no particular love of Rugby or cultural connection to the game so tend to approach it as more or less a neutral. As England have consistently been among the least entertaining sides to watch and have often had some very annoying players (Will Carling runs David Campese a close second in the annoying stakes) I can find little reason to support them. Supporting them just beuase they are English would seem odd to me. I think I'd support them over Austrailia but that's about it.

Having said that if they suddenly come over all entertaining and exciting I'd be happy to change my mind. But I think dullness is pretty much engrained in the English Rugby psyche. They are sort of the Rugby equivalent of Germany in football.

Matthew
Matthew, I find your position on this very odd. I thought you professed little knowledge of the game.

Are you basing your views upon the one England game you say you've seen or have you been reading Campese's bigotted rants?

Other than Will Carling, who else - particularly in the current line up - has annoyed you?
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
In the build up to the RWC England had played some excellent rugby and shown attacking adventure and enterprise. The misfiring in this tournament has partly been because of an apparent desire to play fast and attacking rugby without quite getting the basics right. If England play to form they are not dull or boring to watch anymore.

Bruce
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by matthewr
Dave,

I'm not sure why find my attitude odd unless you think that I should support England simply becuase I am English? As long as I can remember England have been boring to watch (Johnny W., Rob Andrew, Dusty Hare... Has there ever been a time when England haven't based their game around having a much better goalkicker than the opposition?) and my experiences of this go all the way back to my childhood when I really cheered on the blokes in red shirts because they were really exciting and yet I couldn't be bothered to watch if the team in the white shirts was playing as nothing much ever seemed to happen. Oddly for someone who has rarely watched a game since I was about 10 and started going to football matches, JPR Williams was one of my favourite sportsmen as a 7 year-old (although partly this was a deep fascination with his sideburns). I suppose if I'd known someone who liked rugby at the time I might have been "corrected" into cheering for England but I didn't know a single person growing up who had the slightest interest in it so I just went with what I liked rather than who.

The other problem with England has been their conspicuous lack of success over many, many years despite having many more players to choose from than the other nations. Consistently blowing Grand Slams at Murrayfield or in Dublin against teams with far fewer resources makes it difficult to admire them. As does their (generally speaking) complete lack of humility in face of this abject record.

So a boring, under-achieving bunch with a tendecny to arrogance. I can't imagine why anyone essentially neutral on the sport like myself would like them or even wish them anyhing other than the most appalling bad luck.

Matthew
Well, Matthew, you're obviously entitled to your view although your incomplete knowledge of what's been happening in the game since JPR's days is clear.

Nevertheless, given your supposed refusal to support "boring underachieving" teams, do you support England when it comes to football? And in the same vein, why do you bother with West Ham?

Dave
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by John Channing
So a boring, under-achieving bunch with a tendecny to arrogance.

Matthew,
You could have a glittering career in the Australian sports media with an attitude like that.

Speaking as someone who has taken a life long interest in rugby I am utterly baffled by this accusation of English arrogance - and I have heard it from people of various nationalities (French, Irish, Australian). When and how, precisely, has this arrogance manifested itself? Other than that we have beaten your team and you didn't like it?

Given that England defeated every credible contender for the WC at least twice in the run up to the tournament and were ranked number 1 in the World going into it, I'd say we have been very modest and realistic about our chances of winning it.
John