Rugby World Cup

Posted by: redeye on 05 October 2003

Less than a week to go Smile

This thread should give the English members of the forum a chance to 'bang on' about how wonderful their team is before the All Blacks have to burst the bubble by soundly kicking England's bum Wink

Any Australians on this forum??

red
Posted on: 23 November 2003 by Berlin Fritz
I hear Westminster Council (Such Nice People) have given the go ahead for a Victory March in Whitehall upon the boys return. They obviously deserve all the praise and honour the Country can muster, so let's hope at the Downing St reception the PM doesn't take over the show and make it into a Political smartie point Circus excercise, "Political Free Sport", is the way ahead innit. This new era in British Rugby will hopefully bring many new youngsters into the game, the real prize of winning it seems to me.

Fritz.

Graham Ricketts
Posted on: 23 November 2003 by Peter C
This weekend was definitely a weekend to remember.

Jonny Wilkinson cool under pressure, kicking England into the record books.

Credit to Australia for their second half performance.

However, it feels good to see England win another World Cup.

1966 was a long time ago, and it feels good to see

ENGLAND WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS

again.
Posted on: 23 November 2003 by redeye
Well said Richie.

The world rankings are obvious..

1 England
2 Aust
3 NZ
4 France
5 who cares?

The English are happy. Who can blame them, its been aeons since they even had a sniff of winning anything (esp against Australia).

Unfortunately they will spend the next 4 years telling anyone who will listen that they're champions. That'll wear thin pretty fast.

The good news is that this will be a tremendous fillip for Southern Hemisphere rugby. We now have something foreign and irritating to take aim at Wink

I'll long range pick England to finish 4th at the next World Cup. I say this as a half English, half Welsh Kiwi btw.

red
Posted on: 23 November 2003 by Jonathan Hales
Agree totally and dont think it has eluded anyone that we (All Blacks) were actually spared the ignominy of a final drubbing that would have made the hatred of messrs Mitchell, Deans and Thorne back here even more vitrolic.

We were instead given a final treat that did the great game enormous credit and will undoubtedly result in scores of 5 year old English school boys tearing down their Beckham bedroom posters and replacing them with Wilkinson in squatting position before potting yet another impossible penalty or conversion.

As the saying goes, Rugby was the winner.

Roll on 2007.
Posted on: 24 November 2003 by Simon Matthews
Fantastic.
Such a long wait.
Such a good feeling.
Such a brilliant ending.
Posted on: 24 November 2003 by John C
For the first time in my life I didnt watch an England rugby match cheering their every mistake and fumble and urging the other team to crush them. I think this means that this particular team have won over even the most biased of hearts. I give them my grudging admiration and think they thoroughly deserved the title. I trace the key moment when they became a truly winning team back to last years 6 nations decider when they could have easily slipped up against Ireland but instead calmly stuffed us out of sight. Roll on six nations for us and the Welsh to punish the English hangover!

John

ps Considering what an absolute **** Will carling is, I felt he was quite an astute tv pundit?
Posted on: 24 November 2003 by redeye
Been watching too many X-Files by any chance?

Of course you're dead right. If we'd had that lot fit/picked we would've steamrolled over England in the final by at least 50 points!. I wish..

If Graham Henry doesn't pick Merhts I'm gonna start watching the Kingz Frown
Posted on: 24 November 2003 by Jonathan Hales
Now Nic,

Lets not get too hasty.

At least our footy team have played in every World cup whereas the all Whites have only played in the pattercake world finals once in 1982
Posted on: 24 November 2003 by redeye
Mr Hales...

Call me Nic again and I give you a slap Cool

Check yer PTs ferchrissake

red (not Nickers)
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by BigH47
My daughter has just sent this over from OZ.
My daughter has just sent this from OZ:-
My daughter has just sent this from Oz:-

Howard Wink Big Grin