ND5 XS 2 user review

Posted by: snowfoxx on 18 September 2018

Can't find any user review so far.

Any user care to share? Much appreciated! 

Posted on: 20 September 2018 by Bob the Builder
Dan.S posted:

I think SN2 + ND5XS2 will become very popular.

And ND5XS2/NAITXS2 Which is it's natural partner.

Posted on: 20 September 2018 by Christopher_M
Bob the Builder posted:
Dan.S posted:

I think SN2 + ND5XS2 will become very popular.

And ND5XS2/NAITXS2 Which is it's natural partner.

Honestly, a newbie would think that the NAIT XS2 is the only game in town, amplification-wise, from the XS range

Oh, wait a minute...

Posted on: 20 September 2018 by Claus-Thoegersen

Without knowing the prices of these combinations it seems that Nova in terms of price would be about the same, but of course only SQ and upgrade plans will decide what is the best route.

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Judge

I’m using ND5XS with Nait XS2 + Flatcap XS.  I have been wondering about SN2 after spending quite a bit on an LP12, with a view to then maybe go with NDX2. But I have to say that sat here listening to Rickie Lee Jones via Tidal, it would have to be a pretty darn good improvement!  

Plus I’d end up thinking “speakers..?”.  

So I imagine the ND5XS2 would be interesting to listen to in an XS system at least.  It could also be a nice simple access route to your digital music if you are mainly focussed on analogue and have Classic range amp(s), but have some ripped CDs and would like Tidal as a resource to try other stuff.

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Any updates on a release date or reviews? I’d be interested in a comparison of the ND5 XS2/NAIT XS2 versus the Nova, given the near exact price.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Japtimscarlet

Just heard it at the audio east show today

By it..I mean the ND5 Xs2 though supernait 2 and I thought it was a pale shadow of the NDX 2 

Just no comparison ...and that was a naim demo with nice focal speakers

Just my opinion obviously..

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Gazza

Yes I would agree, spent yesterday and today.....the NDX2 is worth saving up for, and gives future worthwhile upgrades.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by ChrisSU
Japtimscarlet posted:

By it..I mean the ND5 Xs2 though supernait 2 and I thought it was a pale shadow of the NDX 2 

Just no comparison ...and that was a naim demo with nice focal speakers

Just my opinion obviously..

Interesting, my impression of the original ND5XS vs NDX was much the same. There was some optimism that the ND5XS2, streamlined with lack of screen, remote, PSU upgrade options etc. would make it attractive for those looking for a single box source, but maybe not? Will still be interesting to see if it will be a viable option for anyone wanting a Naim transport into a separate DAC. 

But it is half the price of a NDX2.....you might expect a big uplift for £2.5 k, and that’s what you get. In the right system, the ND5xs2 will be just fine.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by james n
Gazza posted:

In the right system, the ND5xs2 will be just fine.

Exactly. Fronting its ideal partner, a Nait XS2, it would make a fine two box system that would keep someone very happy without constantly worrying about upgrading. Add a Flatcap XS if you want a bit more.

It certainly didn't disgrace itself when i heard it at Naim HQ earlier this year. 

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by marcusman

Maybe the new ND5xs2/XS2 will partner well with the new Focal Kanta 1

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by james n

Yes, that could be a fun combination. I like the look of the Kanta series and the Kanta 1 looks to be a fine entry point to the range. 

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Stephen Tate
Japtimscarlet posted:

Surely this is verging into 'mullet' territory and is therefore an unfair comparison, though considering the price difference, one would expect the NDX2 to be superior.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Eoink
Stephen Tate posted:
Japtimscarlet posted:

Surely this is verging into 'mullet' territory and is therefore an unfair comparison.

I think that’s the point Stephen. With the ND5XS2 being stripped down to the basics of a streamer, no screen, no PSU options, so all the money spent on music playing and no complex design work needed to avoid negative impact from the screen, there was a hope that it might turn out to be the super-VFM option in the new range, offering SQ very close to the NDX2 at a very substantial discount. Had that been the case it wouldn’t have been a mullet in quality terms, just in price terms, sadly it sounds as though it’s a fine product for the money rather than being a massive bargain.

Well; when I get my hands on one I will be comparing it to my CD5si and if it beats that I will be a very happy bunny indeed - the CD5si being almost perfect as is to these ears, feet tapping on a daily.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Timo
Stephen Tate posted:

Well; when I get my hands on one I will be comparing it to my CD5si and if it beats that I will be a very happy bunny indeed - the CD5si being almost perfect as is to these ears, feet tapping on a daily.

Stephen, I would have thought an ND5XS2 was already sitting in your lounge — after you were running a streaming thread that was nearly as long as the System Picture thread... 

Timo posted:
Stephen Tate posted:

Well; when I get my hands on one I will be comparing it to my CD5si and if it beats that I will be a very happy bunny indeed - the CD5si being almost perfect as is to these ears, feet tapping on a daily.

Stephen, I would have thought an ND5XS2 was already sitting in your lounge — after you were running a streaming thread that was nearly as long as the System Picture thread... 

I have just visited the Audio t website and had a look and came across this - Naim ND5 XS 2 Network Player - Coming Soon

I reckon the clue could 'May' well lay in my answer above. 

My dealer has had it on demo for several weeks.....heard it yesterday and today. Great kit at it’s price point, Naim taking dealer orders!

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Like Gaza I heard it today paired with the SN2 and Focals - excellent.  

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by marcusman

Were the Focal speakers the Kanta's or something else?  

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Gazza

The new Kanta 3, they sounded really good on the end of ND5 XS2 or NDX2 with Supernait.

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Mike1951

I daresay there’s more to the ND5XS2 performance improvements other than just the lack of ‘SQ-sapping display’...

The previous version did respond to the handset ‘disp’ toggle after all!

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by marcusman

Thanks Gazza! I'm looking forward to hearing the new ND5XS2.  

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by FelipeCG

Hello all. I would like  to hear your opinions about the following configurations I am thinking about. I’m about buying one of the new streamers but I can’t hear them first because in my country it’s not possible:

1: ND5 XS2 > Naim Dac (the big one) > SN2 > PMC 25.24

2: NDX2 > SN2 > PMC 25.24

I wonder how is the Dac section of the new NDX2 compare with the traditional Naim Dac. If I chose the second configuration I would have one box less (better WAF) and would sell the Naim Dac.

My actual configuration is Unitiserve > Naim Dac > SN2 > PMC25.24

Thanks

Felipe

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by bongoman
FelipeCG posted:

Hello all. I would like  to hear your opinions about the following configurations I am thinking about. I’m about buying one of the new streamers but I can’t hear them first because in my country it’s not possible:

1: ND5 XS2 > Naim Dac (the big one) > SN2 > PMC 25.24

2: NDX2 > SN2 > PMC 25.24

I wonder how is the Dac section of the new NDX2 compare with the traditional Naim Dac. If I chose the second configuration I would have one box less (better WAF) and would sell the Naim Dac.

My actual configuration is Unitiserve > Naim Dac > SN2 > PMC25.24

Thanks

Felipe

Hi Felipe,

i have only compared nDAC and NDX2 both with PSU added (555PSDR). Both are fine DACs but with my 282/HCDR/250DR I prefer the NDX2. After swapping between the two I felt the nDAC wasn’t adding anything and the NDX2 really shines with the PSU added. I have now sold on my nDAC. If you’re considering the NDX2 with SN2 I suggest adding a HCDR. I’ve used HCDR with my old SN2 and it really improves the bass handling.