ND5 XS 2 user review

Posted by: snowfoxx on 18 September 2018

Can't find any user review so far.

Any user care to share? Much appreciated! 

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Matteo
charnik posted:

So with the new streamers there is no need for a wired network and server (NAS or other)? Now you can attach a usb disk and control streamer  with wifi? Is this right?

If you do not use Tidal, yes.

The only limitation seems, like Uniti, 20,000 tracks stored on the attached usb disk.

The further question is: which usb disk is better?

M.

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by charnik

[@mention:36201736949470193]

Why you need a network connection? If i understand well, music is served from a usb drive connected to  streamer/server 's usb port. In this case network usage is limited to just control the device through naim app, so, i think ethernet will give no advantage.

charnik posted:

Why you need a network connection? If i understand well, music is served from a usb drive connected to  streamer/server 's usb port. In this case network usage is limited to just control the device through naim app, so, i think ethernet will give no advantage.

If you want to use Tidal, I guess that it is still better via ethernet than wi-fi

M.

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by charnik

[@mention:1566878603935180]

I can understand for Tidal, but for enjoying your already ripped collection should be no advantage using ethernet. The question is: is this enclosed server  top quality?  or a classic scheme (external server/ethernet) will give the best performance?

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by ChrisSU
charnik posted:

[@mention:36201736949470193]

You will need a network connection to use the iOS or Android app, as well as for updates, iRadio and web streaming. That coyld be WiFi or wired Ethernet, but either way, you need a connection. 

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Antonio1
wrc posted:

I would love to know the logic behind making the ND5 XS 2 non-PSU-upgrade-able.  My ND5 XS benefited hugely from a PSU upgrade so it would have be nice to also have this option on the ND5 XS 2.

Reminds me a bit of the 172 XS which from what I gather was not a very popular product.

Quite obvious as I imagined the very first time, to make an entry level product ,a stripped down version, not expandable to complement the entry line.

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Christopher_M
Antonio1 posted:
[ND5 XS 2] ......to complement the entry line.

To compliment the XS line, surely.

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

Complement is correct. 

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Stephen Tate

"make this versatile player the ideal partner for one of our integrated amplifiers."

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Christopher_M
hungryhalibut posted:

Complement is correct. 

Not in the sense that I had intended which is that the ND5 XS2 may be good enough to pay a compliment to the the fabulous XS line that, frankly, we don't hear enough about in this place. (Despite my best efforts).

Christopher_M posted:

the fabulous XS line that, frankly, we don't hear enough about in this place. (Despite my best efforts).

XS line is too cheap ...

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Matteo
Matteo posted:
The further question is: which usb disk is better?

Samsung T5 SSD portable USB not self powered?

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Antonio1

The real xs line has always been expandable to fulfill its potential.

So far Naim have not succeed buiding a streamer for its entry line ,that would have required too much a compromised product (see the 172, shortly discontinued). Easier to make a chepaer unit with no upgrade itch and better sounding than an entry level cd player. How can’t you see this as the strategy that  will make  people eithe happy to pay the  premium or converted to the streamers?

That’s marketing folks.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Jonners

Folks - just left a short NDX5XS2 demo review on the Streaming Audio Forum if anyone's interested following a session this morning. I was comparing to an NDX2 which I heard a month or so ago, but also a Core v Innuous Zen.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Stephen Tate

I had a demo today - ND5 XS 2 - NAC272 - XPS - 250DR - Dynaudio Emit 20.  I listened to a few tracks and everything to me sounded lovely, crisp, dynamic and tonally spot on. In no way did i think the ND5 XS 2 was out of it's depth although it would of been interesting to swap it out for a NDX2 but unfortunately my dealer had sold theirs to a very demanding customer. My dealer reckoned if I put an order in now there would be a good chance that I may have one by early/mid December (in time for Chrimbo). I have now decided to wait until after Christmas as I just won't have the time to properly enjoy it as i'll be too busy with family and friends. Needless to say it far exceeded my expectations and to throw a curve ball in, my dealer is selling a ex-demo NDX for £100 more and was willing to set that up but unfortunately I was pushed for time...i'll pop in again next week on the hop to give that ago if possible, with my dealer giving the ok.

All I can say is that I will be definitely purchasing one and i'm sure that I will have that matching XS2 amp itch to scratch as well not too long after. Oh well i best get ready for a few changes come 2019!

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Matteo
Matteo posted:

Can the ND5 XS 2 be used as uPnP server, as the ND555 and the new Uniti range?

I wrote an e-mail to the Naim support a week ago ...  no answer so far

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by NaimAudio
Matteo posted:
Matteo posted:

Hi Matteo, we are struggling to find your ticket number. Are you able to send a new one in quoting your old ticket number please? Many thanks

NaimAudio posted:

Hi Matteo, we are struggling to find your ticket number. Are you able to send a new one in quoting your old ticket number please? Many thanks

Done

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Pcd
Matteo posted:
Matteo posted:

According to the Naim website the answer is yes.

Pcd posted:

According to the Naim website the answer is yes.

Hi PCD

May you post a link? I'm not able to find this information (apart for the ND555 on its white paper).

M.

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Matteo
NaimAudio posted:
Matteo posted:
Matteo posted:

Two weeks without an answer ...

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Matteo

Just confirmed via mail by Naim Support:

“Yes - during the ND5XS 2 setup procedure you can chose to set the product up as a UPNP server. By doing this, you will be able to set up a USB drive as a network share via the ND5XS 2 USB port”

M

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Matteo
Matteo posted:

Samsung T5 SSD portable USB not self powered?

While I'm waiting for my new ND5 XS 2, in the last few days, I did some comparisons (with my Cambridge CXN) between some files stored on a Samsung T5 via USB and the same files on my Win10 laptop, used as a NAS with MinimServer.

I found that the files stored on the laptop sound slightly better.

The T5 runs quite cool.

M.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by JitterFree

Greetings,

I’m in the market for a streamer, and seriously considering the ND5 XS 2, due to Naim reputation but more so thanks to the Chromecast Built-in, which opens up many important services.

Does anyone run the streamer exclusively over SPIDF?
How is the sound quality? I have no need for the DAC,  so low SPDIF jitter is super important for me.

I currently use Allo DigitOne Signature and the sound is amazing; but too many gliches and a lousy UI is making me return it.

Lastly, do you think the NDX 2 will have less jitter over SPDIF, or the difference too minute to count?

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by JitterFree

For posterity's sake: Naim came back to me. The jitter on the XD5 XS-2 and DX 2 is identical.