ND5 XS 2 user review

Posted by: snowfoxx on 18 September 2018

Can't find any user review so far.

Any user care to share? Much appreciated! 

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by Gazza

I heard the ND5xS2 and NDX2, SN2, hicap thru Focal Kanta 3 speakers at Audio show east. Yes, the NDX2 was better, but in this combination they were both so musical the absolute Hifi differences was not that important. After sort of Hifi listening in other rooms it was really nice just to enjoy music from a well set up system. So by all means listen to your combo,s, but don,t write off either of the two streamers bare. I would be tempted to just enjoy either for quite a while and then making an informed upgrade later.

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by John L F

I attended the Audio East demonstration and thought both were impressive but the NDX2 was well worth the additional cost.

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Gazza

Sorry we did not meet, so many people I managed to miss. Perhaps we all need to wear billboards next time. Agree it’s worth the extra, but both enjoyable.

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by FelipeCG

Hi:

Thanks for your answers and your help.

My doubts are related to the Dac section of the NDX2. For what I've been able to dig on internet, the ND555 uses the same DAC of the NDac (BB 1704K), which is, as I understand, a Multi Bit chip, and the NDX2 uses another (1792A) which I believe is an Hybrid chip, in part a Multibit and in part a Delta Sigma Chip. I'm far from being an expert in this matter, or even uderstand whow this things work, but I've been told that the 1704K is far better Dac (and that's why Naim uses it in the ND555). If this is the case, if I change the dac section of my chain from Ndac to the internal dac in the NDX2, I will be doing a downgrade, I think. Giving that I'm thinking that the best option is to keep the Ndac and incorporate the ND5xS2 as transport. This way I keep a separate dac and have more flexibility for the future to come in order to be able to change only the Dac if I find another one that blows my mind or sort. Actually I saw on Naim web page  that the Ndac is discontinue, and this make me think that they are, maybe, working in a new Dac. 

I don't know how importance is the chip in the final SQ that you can get from you chain, including the Dac section, and how much the other factors that might include the new NDX2. What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks

Felipe

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by bongoman
FelipeCG posted:

Hi:

Thanks for your answers and your help.

My doubts are related to the Dac section of the NDX2. For what I've been able to dig on internet, the ND555 uses the same DAC of the NDac (BB 1704K), which is, as I understand, a Multi Bit chip, and the NDX2 uses another (1792A) which I believe is an Hybrid chip, in part a Multibit and in part a Delta Sigma Chip. I'm far from being an expert in this matter, or even uderstand whow this things work, but I've been told that the 1704K is far better Dac (and that's why Naim uses it in the ND555). If this is the case, if I change the dac section of my chain from Ndac to the internal dac in the NDX2, I will be doing a downgrade, I think. Giving that I'm thinking that the best option is to keep the Ndac and incorporate the ND5xS2 as transport. This way I keep a separate dac and have more flexibility for the future to come in order to be able to change only the Dac if I find another one that blows my mind or sort. Actually I saw on Naim web page  that the Ndac is discontinue, and this make me think that they are, maybe, working in a new Dac. 

I don't know how importance is the chip in the final SQ that you can get from you chain, including the Dac section, and how much the other factors that might include the new NDX2. What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks

Felipe

Hi Felipe,

As I replied previously, I have owned the nDAC and more recently NDX2 and I’ve compared the SQ of both DACs, albeit with PSU added on both. I suggest trying a demo of both streamers with/without nDAC if you can before deciding. Your ears will be the best judge!

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Gazza

I was a little shocked when Naim said the ND555 woulduse obsolete DAC chipsets. But, I was wrong they brought to bear their knowledge in doing a superb implementation. The same can b said for the other streamers as bongoman said, you got to listen with an open mind.

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by OuYang

I am also waiting ND5XS2 to compare with Roon Bridge + nDAC. My amp is Nait XS and source is Roon. I actually don't need full function network player like ND5XS2/NDX2, but Naim seems not to release new pure DAC anymore.

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Chag...
OuYang posted:

I am also waiting ND5XS2 to compare with Roon Bridge + nDAC. My amp is Nait XS and source is Roon. I actually don't need full function network player like ND5XS2/NDX2, but Naim seems not to release new pure DAC anymore.

While I haven't listened to ND5XS2 or NDX2 for that matter (but I did listen to ND555), I would probably go S/H ND5 and nDAC instead of brand new ND5XS2. 

Chag - 

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Jonners
Chag... posted:
OuYang posted:

While I haven't listened to ND5XS2 or NDX2 for that matter (but I did listen to ND555), I would probably go S/H ND5 and nDAC instead of brand new ND5XS2. 

Chag - 

I'm demoing an ND5XS2 and Innuous box on Monday, I can report back though I've only the NDX-2 as comparison from a previous demo a couple of months ago to go on.

Posted on: 10 November 2018 by Massimo Bertola
Chag... posted:
OuYang posted:

Chag - 

This will make the day for the R&D department.

Posted on: 10 November 2018 by MangoMonkey

Lol. And I replace my 272 for a AlloDigiOne/NaimDac/Olive Nac72/HicapDR. Big improvement all around.

Posted on: 10 November 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
Chag... posted:
OuYang posted:

Fascinating, in the Ethernet interfacing and SPDIF transport precision layer there have been significant  changes in terms of functionality, isolation and robustness compared to the older streamers.. and the original ND5XS really is rather constrained by comparison.. but each to their own.. 

The Naim DAC  needs a top flight transport to really sing.. otherwise I’d be tempted not to bother and look at alternatives..

Posted on: 12 November 2018 by Massimo Bertola

So, still no news of someone who has actually heard an ND5 XS2?

Posted on: 12 November 2018 by Gazza

Massimo, yes many heard it at Audio show east with sn2 and Focal Kanta3, great piece of kit at its price point.

Posted on: 12 November 2018 by Matteo

Are also important for the new streamers to stay always powered on, considering the new standby mode?

Posted on: 12 November 2018 by David Hendon

I believe the new standby mode has to be there to meet modern environmental standards but serious listeners will probably find they leave the unit powered on, as per the original Unitis.

best

David

Posted on: 13 November 2018 by living in lancs yearning for yorks

Heard nd5xs2, ndx, ndx2 (all bare) and nd555 (w single 555) in Chester  on Saturday, all running through same 252/300/atc50 speakers. 

I have an nds powered by 555 (non dr) at home so I may be spoiled but I didn’t like the nd5xs2 at all. (I did have an nd5xs for a few years before the nds). The ndx2 was impressive - hugely better than the nd5xs2.

Although there wasn’t an nds there so I could not compare directly (too many variables to do everything) I would (a) not be surprised by an nds being better than ndx2 (nds pretty good value used at the moment) but (b) I could understand how there isn’t much space left for nds between ndx2 and nd555

i do like the nd555 but apparently I should get a 552 before getting one. Eek. Better get saving

Posted on: 13 November 2018 by ChrisSU
living in lancs yearning for yorks posted:

Heard nd5xs2, ndx, ndx2 (all bare) and nd555 (w single 555) in Chester  on Saturday, all running through same 252/300/atc50 speakers. 

I have an nds powered by 555 (non dr) at home so I may be spoiled but I didn’t like the nd5xs2 at all. (I did have an nd5xs for a few years before the nds). The ndx2 was impressive - hugely better than the nd5xs2.

That was a flawed way to demo the ND5XS2 in my view. I hardly think anyone would be likely to buy such an unbalanced system, and even the NDX/NDX2 without PSU is arguably a bit of a  weak source for such a system. 

I think they should have used XS level amplification for the ND5XS2 and maybe demo’d it against the old model to give it a fair assessment. 

Posted on: 13 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

The purpose of these demos is to show the differences in the streamers. If you start changing amps and speakers at the same time, nobody can judge what is doing what. Of course the ND5 and NDX are out of their depth, but hopefully prospective purchasers will have more meaningful demonstrations at their leisure. 

As far as I’m concerned, all it showed was the difference between a balanced system and a mullet, but perhaps that’s not a bad lesson to learn! I wouldn’t be surprised if the ND5XS2 sounded great in the right system, but a demo like that just puts people off. 

Posted on: 13 November 2018 by Crispy
ChrisSU posted:

As far as I’m concerned, all it showed was the difference between a balanced system and a mullet, but perhaps that’s not a bad lesson to learn! I wouldn’t be surprised if the ND5XS2 sounded great in the right system, but a demo like that just puts people off. 

Would disagree with this assessment, surely the other elements of the set up are to provide a neutral base from which to present each source with minimal impact from 252 etc. All the new streamers are likely to share the Naim family sound to varying degrees and there will be strengths and weaknesses to each that the set up will highlight. For me this helps me to go in with my eyes open for what a product can and cannot do. 

Posted on: 13 November 2018 by Gazza

Oh dear, I needed a preamp before listening to the new streamers, I was at Nova/300 at the time. Several months before the streamers came out I did a preamp demo, chose a 252 over a 282. The streamer domo,s were then with 252/300, I chose the nd555 over the NDX2 . You do not need the 552, even if it’s a better preamp. You need a home demo with your system.

Crispy posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Would disagree with this assessment, surely the other elements of the set up are to provide a neutral base from which to present each source with minimal impact from 252 etc. All the new streamers are likely to share the Naim family sound to varying degrees and there will be strengths and weaknesses to each that the set up will highlight. For me this helps me to go in with my eyes open for what a product can and cannot do. 

The universal opinion of those who heard the ND5XS2 in this system seems, unsurprisingly, to have been ‘OK, can we listen to something else now, please?’ What is the point of a demo that nobody is going to like? Better to leave it out and play the systems people enjoy. 

Or, to put it another way, it is not a ‘neutral base’, it is a very revealing amp and speaker combination, and what it revealed was the relative weaknesses of the ND5XS2. 

Posted on: 13 November 2018 by Crispy
ChrisSU posted:
Crispy posted:
ChrisSU posted:

The universal opinion of those who heard the ND5XS2 in this system seems, unsurprisingly, to have been ‘OK, can we listen to something else now, please?’ What is the point of a demo that nobody is going to like? Better to leave it out and play the systems people enjoy. 

Or, to put it another way, it is not a ‘neutral base’, it is a very revealing amp and speaker combination, and what it revealed was the relative weaknesses of the ND5XS2. 

Revealing is exactly what you want in an amplifier. By neutral I mean that you do not want it to colour the source in any way, like many products do, and simply pass the music through. I for one am surprised at the weakness of the ND5XS2 that has been highlighted by this demo. 

Posted on: 13 November 2018 by Stephen Tate
Crispy posted: I for one am surprised at the weakness of the ND5XS2 that has been highlighted by this demo. 

Would this be from your own actual experience from the same or similar demo or from your own assessment of someone else's reply from their experiences?