Introducing myself

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 23 November 2018

Good morning everyone!
I wanted  to introduce myself to you all.

My name is Charlie Henderson, and I have just taken on one of the most exciting roles of my life, and a role that I feel privileged to hold, as the new Managing Director of Naim Audio.

I've been an admirer of Naim Audio since my teenage years (which is too many years ago now to think about!) and hold our obsession for producing the very finest in audio quality very close to my heart.

In a world where too many companies are busying themselves with dumbing down sound quality and compromising at every step, we continue to hold true to the values of our founder Julian Vereker all those years ago... that music should be heard as the artist intended. Not compromised, not fast tracked through like it is audio wallpaper, but appreciated like the joy that it is, a moment to stop, to reflect, to consider, to immerse yourself in the sheer delight of sound.

I've been with the team in Salisbury for the last couple of weeks, learning my way around, getting to meet the experts who make everything happen, and being able to see how the most stunning of audio equipment is produced, by hand and with absolute love, by the team here.

I look forward to getting to know, and to meet, many of you over the coming weeks, months and years.

Cheers

Charlie

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by nigelb

Charlie, welcome.

(My shortest ever post)

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Charlie Henderson
Gazza posted:

Hi Charlie, welcome to your new role. I hope you manage to get out and meet some of your great dealers, who I think deserve to give  you an insight into the business of selling Naim kit. Its probably not easy getting people to part with thousands of pounds on a daily basis. Good to see you have taken to communicating on the forum, keep it up, it has been missed.

Gazza

Hi, couldn't agree more. Our dealer network is at the heart of our community,.. and I'm already planning my visits. Can't wait!

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

Charlie, welcome to Naim, and of course this wonderful Forum.

Four suggestions from me, if I may:

1. Sort out customer support, which has gone from being brilliant to being dreadful,

2. Replace failing OLED displays on the streamers for a sensible price, not £350,

3. Introduce a streaming preamp with no built in power supply and the ability to use both power feeds from a 555PS - not everyone wants a huge heap of black boxes in their room,

4. Last but not least, have fun and keep making great hifi. 

Kevin-W posted:
Charlie Henderson posted:

Momentary Lapse of Reason (although I own ten albums by Pink Floyd!)
(and the album photo with the beds lined up off in to the distance was also taken on Saunton Sands in Devon, near where I spent my holidays as a kid)

Hi again Charlie. Small point: A Momentary Lapse of Reason isn't a Pink Floyd album. But the cover is great - and I, too spent my hols as a kid in Dorth Devon and have many happy memories of getting sunburned on Saunton Sands.

On another note, what's your system at home? Are you a vinyl/analogue guy? Or a streaming kind of chap?

I've ended up giving in a lot to streaming, and kicking myself for having shifted the bulk of my CD collection before I got a Uniti Star, but still hold on to my treasured vinyl (and my ageing Pro-ject Perspective turntable)...

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by David Hendon

Welcome and congratulations on your new job Charlie. It’s great to see you posting here. Even if you don’t always have time to post in the future, just looking in on us from time to time will give you a free insight into how your company and it’s products are doing with some of your greatest supporters. I’m sure we all wish you well in the challenges ahead.

best

David

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Bailyhill

Welcome Chairlie

Let me be the first to welcome you from across the Pond and Happy Thanksgiving (realize not a big thing in UK).  Took a 34 year sabbatical from audio until this year.  Evolved into Unity Core and NDX streaming only system.  This is the most musical system I have ever heard.  Lots of improvements over the years.  Based substantially on the feedback on this forum, I have an ND555/PS555 on order, thou I have not heard one,  from my great Sales Advisor, Roni, and Dealer OvertureAV in Willimington, Delaware.  I am located on Cape Cod Massachusetts.  Are you planning on making a tour of the US?

Bailyhill

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by TOBYJUG

Congratulations, best wishes and best of luck.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Tabby cat

Congratulations Charlie on your appointment .So nice that you where an admirer of Naim as a teenager and now the Managing Director.I have never visited the factory but have gone to quite a few Naim dealer events and Naim rooms at Audio shows and always found Naim personal a very cordial bunch.

Good luck with in the future

Cheers Ian

hungryhalibut posted:

Charlie, welcome to Naim, and of course this wonderful Forum.

Four suggestions from me, if I may:

1. Sort out customer support, which has gone from being brilliant to being dreadful,

2. Replace failing OLED displays on the streamers for a sensible price, not £350,

3. Introduce a streaming preamp with no built in power supply and the ability to use both power feeds from a 555PS - not everyone wants a huge heap of black boxes in their room,

4. Last but not least, have fun and keep making great hifi. 

Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated. And absolutely agree about keeping it fun!

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by nigelb

Oh, BTW, the one thing you will never be short of in a job surrounded by passionate staff, dealers and customers, is advice. The tricky thing is deciding which to accept and which to reject, but you already know that!

Good luck and all the very best.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by ChrisH

Welcome Charlie, nice of you to post here in the Forum, and nice to hear your back story and connection to Naim - its refreshing to hear.

Congratulations on the new position and good luck!

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by JimDog

hey Kevin - 'When I Was Young' Genesis P-Orridge of Throbbing Gristle went to the same school as I did - also, later, Stuart Lee...amidst the sea of 'rugger buggers'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa0XECkYLnk

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by TallGuy

Well it looks as though you've passed the music tests   And there's nothing wrong with A Momentary Lapse of Reason, except that it's a "bit eighties" Last album I bought before going to university.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know you're here/there and entering into conversation with the forum. Welcome.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Hélène

Hi Charlie and welcome to Naim,

I am from Montreal, Canada and 4 years ago I knew nothing about sound systems and Naim. Went to a dealer to buy a TV who was selling Naim products. Started with a DAC and now I am in the 500 series, with amp, preamp ect. Got hooked very early and very fast. Now, I read a lot about the 555 streamer ( I have an NDS with a 555PS on it) but just cannot imagine how it could be so much better, waiting for a sample to come in the store to listen to it. Can this prodcut really be NIrvana vs an NDS??  thanks for your feedback

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Eoink
TallGuy posted:

Well it looks as though you've passed the music tests   And there's nothing wrong with A Momentary Lapse of Reason, except that it's a "bit eighties" Last album I bought before going to university.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know you're here/there and entering into conversation with the forum. Welcome.

There is a subtle bit of age-checking here, Kevin-W has been known to claim Ummagumma and the '68-'71 era as Floyd's best work, being a few years younger than Kev I challenge him on behalf of Wish You Were Here and that era, AMLOR is for the next generation again. 

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Mercky

Hi Charlie and welcome from Ireland, thanks for the intro! 

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by al9315

Hi Charlie

Welcome to your new post, look forward to hearing from you on here once you have settled in, this is a great forum !

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Mulberry

Hi Charlie,

I really appreciate the fact that you did much more than inserting a few pre written words as an introduction. To enter the dialogue with the forum members the way you did makes me feel like the future of Naim is in good hand.

Talk Talk as one of your favorites groups adds to this .

Greetings from Germany!

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Welcome Charlie,

i once ended up by mistake at a Throbbing Gristle gig at a private house in Camden. You’re right to steer clear!

Regards,

Lindsay

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Stephen Tate

Hi Charlie,

Thankyou for a very nice introduction.

All the very best in your new role as Managing Director for Naim Audio.

PS love your taste in music!

Hélène posted:

Hi Charlie and welcome to Naim,

I am from Montreal, Canada and 4 years ago I knew nothing about sound systems and Naim. Went to a dealer to buy a TV who was selling Naim products. Started with a DAC and now I am in the 500 series, with amp, preamp ect. Got hooked very early and very fast. Now, I read a lot about the 555 streamer ( I have an NDS with a 555PS on it) but just cannot imagine how it could be so much better, waiting for a sample to come in the store to listen to it. Can this prodcut really be NIrvana vs an NDS??  thanks for your feedback

Bonjour Hélène, what a great story! I'm going to be biased but I know the R&D team worked fanatically to create an even more musical streamer than the NDS, with advances like putting digital circuits within their own Faraday cage, fine tuning the precise timing accuracy of the digital audio entering the DAC chip, the use of numerous ultra quiet DR regulators, optimising wiring, and then months of tuning work in our listening room. I think you'll like it!

Worth a read of what others here think perhaps too: https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/nd555-impressions

Cheers
Charlie

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by petzhou

Hi Charlie

Just in case you missed it - there was a competition for a full statement system (and cables of course.)This was just before you started. Could you get it to Northern Ireland by Christmas please!!

Good luck with the new job.

Many thanks

Peter

petzhou posted:

Hi Charlie

Just in case you missed it - there was a competition for a full statement system (and cables of course.)This was just before you started. Could you get it to Northern Ireland by Christmas please!!

Good luck with the new job.

Many thanks

Peter

nice try

thanks for the welcome

charlie

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Kevin-W
Eoink posted:

There is a subtle bit of age-checking here, Kevin-W has been known to claim Ummagumma and the '68-'71 era as Floyd's best work, being a few years younger than Kev I challenge him on behalf of Wish You Were Here and that era, AMLOR is for the next generation again. 

Cheek! I am only 56 - the first PF album I had was WYWH (Xmas 1976, when I was 14). The first one I bought was DSOTM in about February '77. As pocket money was scarce in them days, my mate Chris bought Animals at the same time, then we swapped.

Ummagumma still rules though.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by RaceTripper

Welcome [@mention:77737380917463397]

I'm a long time U.S. fan since the 80s when I worked for a Linn/Naim dealer (as bookkeeper & classical/jazz record buyer) when he hooked me up with some Naim seconds from Audiophile Systems to assemble a LP12/42.5/HC/140/Sara system for me. I've since graduated to the new classics with a 282/HCDR/250DR + ND5-XS and a very nice Clearaudio/Herron analog front end and REL/Dynaudio.

I'm afraid that other than the Pink Floyd I have no idea of what your other favorites sound like, but it's all good. I listen to acoustic jazz and classical and the last thing I played on my system is Vaughn-Williams "London Symphony" with Sir Adrian Boult/LPO.

Looking forward to your support for our love of music and what plays it back the best.