Introducing myself

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 23 November 2018

Good morning everyone!
I wanted  to introduce myself to you all.

My name is Charlie Henderson, and I have just taken on one of the most exciting roles of my life, and a role that I feel privileged to hold, as the new Managing Director of Naim Audio.

I've been an admirer of Naim Audio since my teenage years (which is too many years ago now to think about!) and hold our obsession for producing the very finest in audio quality very close to my heart.

In a world where too many companies are busying themselves with dumbing down sound quality and compromising at every step, we continue to hold true to the values of our founder Julian Vereker all those years ago... that music should be heard as the artist intended. Not compromised, not fast tracked through like it is audio wallpaper, but appreciated like the joy that it is, a moment to stop, to reflect, to consider, to immerse yourself in the sheer delight of sound.

I've been with the team in Salisbury for the last couple of weeks, learning my way around, getting to meet the experts who make everything happen, and being able to see how the most stunning of audio equipment is produced, by hand and with absolute love, by the team here.

I look forward to getting to know, and to meet, many of you over the coming weeks, months and years.

Cheers

Charlie

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by pete T15

I thought years 3,4 and 5 of the warranty were for parts only ? That was my understanding as I recall when the display of my ND5XS was replaced , I think I was billed for labour and shipping . I don't recall the amount but it was definitely north of £200 about 2 years ago .

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by glasnaim
Timmo1341 posted:
glasnaim posted:
Bob green posted:

What happened to the 5 year warranty?.

If you read the small print it isn't really a 5 year warranty. The first two years is a normal warranty the remaining three years entitle you to repairs at a fixed cost, yes £340 irregardless of the fault.

You have my sympathy Malcolm. I had what I think was the same issue when my US was just less than 2 years old. It took them almost a month to replace the bios battery on the motherboard, a task which most handymen can perform on a computer pretty easily. Fortunately it cost me nothing, other than the carriage. I’m now facing the same £340 charge, plus £20 carriage, for the replacement of the cd transport, despite the unit still being less than 5 years old! Not impressed, I don’t believe this bodes well for the future.

Thanks Timmo1341

I agree it doesn't bode well for the future, I have decided not to take the unit back from my dealer, it will cost me money but I hate being ripped off.

It's not even as if the Unitiserve is a great piece of kit, far better alternatives that do more for less money in the current market. It was way overpriced for what it was, guess you just chalk it up to experience.

Bob green posted:

Don’t they Advertise there equipment supplied with a five year warranty?.if they do then it is not a five year warranty,if I’m wrong please correct me.

You are correct Bob, I'm sure they are within the law though, if you read the blurb it will tell you years 3-5 are standard parts/labour costs.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Richard Dane

AFAIK, the warranty has for many years been 2 years in the Uk, more recently with the offer of an extra 3 years limited warranty if you register the equipment with Naim. Other countries may be different as it’s down to the distributor. 

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Bob green

I repeat how many people know this?,l think they should change it to a two year manufacture warranty with the option of taking up there extra three years,and l am sure they are working within they law ,they are not that silly!.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

Why do people choose to air their laundry in public? Are you not capable of pursuing a dialogue with the Company through your dealer?

Well, the warranty card used to come in the box. Does it not still do so? Certianly  the uk warranty is detailed on the website;

https://www.naimaudio.com/two-...terms-and-conditions

failing that, as your contract is with your supplying dealer, I’m sure they can explain any details you're unsure about.

That is what this forum is for mate!.

Well, actually the forum is for the members to have informal discussion, about Naim, music and mutual interests. Think of it as a social open house. Specific issues, or anything directly to do with Naim are usually best addressed to the company. If you're still not happy then you know the name of Naim’s new MD, so You could always write to him directly. 

The Strat (Fender) posted:

Why do people choose to air their laundry in public? Are you not capable of pursuing a dialogue with the Company through your dealer?

If that comment is directed at me I will take a few minutes out to explain how it got here.

After 7/8 weeks in the repair loop my dealer was not having any success in getting a response or reply from Naim. Charlie popped up introduced himself, I highlighted the issue. He promised to intervene, which he did, and after a bit of searching they found my unit, which they had lost.

So I did attempt to go through my dealer, he is a very good long standing Naim dealer, but problems were encountered. Hope that satisfies your judgmental point of view.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Don Atkinson
Bob green posted:

That is what this forum is for mate!.

Quite right. And I think we all got the message that Glasnaim has had an attack of outrage and sour grapes.

Quite a few companies offer a product repair service at a single fixed price, regardless of the individual issue.

Perhaps Naim will review their policy in the light of Bob and Glasnaim's outrage. Fix the cost at something like 20% of the current new price for each item of equipment. Again regardless of individual defects.

Hi Don,l’m not outraged mate ,l’m the biggest Naim fan out there,l must be otherwise l would not have spent a small fortune on there stuff,l’m just a bit disappointed for other people who might have bought Naim on a tight budget thinking they were covered for the next five years,yes l know it’s in the small print but like most things who reads it.

Hi Don 

Unhappy customer yes, outrage and sour grapes, no. It's not an issue of affordability, £340 doesn't get you much these days.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by The Strat (Fender)
glasnaim posted:
The Strat (Fender) posted:

If that comment is directed at me I will take a few minutes out to explain how it got here.

After 7/8 weeks in the repair loop my dealer was not having any success in getting a response or reply from Naim. Charlie popped up introduced himself, I highlighted the issue. He promised to intervene, which he did, and after a bit of searching they found my unit, which they had lost.

So I did attempt to go through my dealer, he is a very good long standing Naim dealer, but problems were encountered. Hope that satisfies your judgmental point of view.

No - certainly wasn’t directed at you but a general point.  But, simply Charlie instigated the thread to introduce himself and perhaps explain his approach.   In my opinion you’d have been better served by posting to the effect “Charlie - I’ve an outstanding issue, perhaps I could email you or call............”

But all in my opinion.

Regards,

Lindsay

Lindsay,

I agree with much of what you say, it wasn't intended to end up this way. I'll save any further comments for email.

Regards

Malcolm.

Me to.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Alley Cat
Charlie Henderson posted:

Good morning everyone!
I wanted  to introduce myself to you all.

My name is Charlie Henderson, and I have just taken on one of the most exciting roles of my life, and a role that I feel privileged to hold, as the new Managing Director of Naim Audio.

I've been an admirer of Naim Audio since my teenage years (which is too many years ago now to think about!) and hold our obsession for producing the very finest in audio quality very close to my heart.

In a world where too many companies are busying themselves with dumbing down sound quality and compromising at every step, we continue to hold true to the values of our founder Julian Vereker all those years ago... that music should be heard as the artist intended. Not compromised, not fast tracked through like it is audio wallpaper, but appreciated like the joy that it is, a moment to stop, to reflect, to consider, to immerse yourself in the sheer delight of sound.

I've been with the team in Salisbury for the last couple of weeks, learning my way around, getting to meet the experts who make everything happen, and being able to see how the most stunning of audio equipment is produced, by hand and with absolute love, by the team here.

I look forward to getting to know, and to meet, many of you over the coming weeks, months and years.

Cheers

Charlie

Dear Charlie

If I did so and forgot, I apologise, if I haven't welcomed you, quite remiss of me.

I don't want to try to use your welcome thread to draw attention to things, but could you kindly peruse this thread and perhaps give this a little thought in the context of digital sources of the future - pleasant rather generic replies from support are probably not going to make some of the posters here happy, and I'm sure Richard has done his best to resolve this:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...g-firmware-naim-nova

The issue in summary is that firmware updates can affect the character of a digital source significantly, while I have confidence that Naim strive to improve sound quality with updates if they can, in addition to adding features, I feel it important to stress that improvements are subjective in the context of the infinite number of systems such sources are deployed in when you consider all elements including room characteristics.

I was lucky to obtain an earlier firmware version I preferred for my Nova via support many months ago, some of these posters seem to be struggling - I think if we focus on the synergy with our rooms and systems (possibly other non-Naim/Focal components), it's clear that for some people they may regret an upgrade and provision of older firmware at the expense of new features or even bug fixes is likely to be welcomed by those whose priority is the sound of their overall audio experience.

Many thanks.

AC