Introducing myself

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 23 November 2018

Good morning everyone!
I wanted  to introduce myself to you all.

My name is Charlie Henderson, and I have just taken on one of the most exciting roles of my life, and a role that I feel privileged to hold, as the new Managing Director of Naim Audio.

I've been an admirer of Naim Audio since my teenage years (which is too many years ago now to think about!) and hold our obsession for producing the very finest in audio quality very close to my heart.

In a world where too many companies are busying themselves with dumbing down sound quality and compromising at every step, we continue to hold true to the values of our founder Julian Vereker all those years ago... that music should be heard as the artist intended. Not compromised, not fast tracked through like it is audio wallpaper, but appreciated like the joy that it is, a moment to stop, to reflect, to consider, to immerse yourself in the sheer delight of sound.

I've been with the team in Salisbury for the last couple of weeks, learning my way around, getting to meet the experts who make everything happen, and being able to see how the most stunning of audio equipment is produced, by hand and with absolute love, by the team here.

I look forward to getting to know, and to meet, many of you over the coming weeks, months and years.

Cheers

Charlie

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Bankside

Welcome Charlie, it is great to have you introduce yourself in such a friendly and personal way. Please keep the excellent quality of Naim going. I don’t have your music tastes, I am listening to Indian violin music right now and love classical and world music and it all sounds so good on my recently upgraded Naim system.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

There is a lot of truth in what Adam says, and I know from dealers that they are as fed up with Naim’s responsiveness, or lack of it, as are the customers themselves. Linking to Charlie’s post about music, all I’d say is that should Naim ever become the hifi equivalent of Snow Patrol it will be the day to shut the factory and call it a day. 

Charlie, I do so hope that you are in this for the long run, and it’s not simply a two year assignment to bolster the CV. The local authority where I worked was a joyful place for many years, where we worked our socks off. The much loved chief executive was then unceremoniously jettisoned and what followed was a succession of interims and yes men. All joy went out the window. All the long standing and knowledgeable staff were let go. We entered a world of mission statements and corporate values, with KPIs plastered on noticeboard. Sounds familiar?

Naim needs stability, passion and to support its owners and prospective owners through fantastic customer service and of course great products. Of course it needs to be profitable and to deliver the return to its backers, but with a deft hand it can achieve both.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Charlie Henderson
hungryhalibut posted:

There is a lot of truth in what Adam says, and I know from dealers that they are as fed up with Naim’s responsiveness, or lack of it, as are the customers themselves. Linking to Charlie’s post about music, all I’d say is that should Naim ever become the hifi equivalent of Snow Patrol it will be the day to shut the factory and call it a day. 

Charlie, I do so hope that you are in this for the long run, and it’s not simply a two year assignment to bolster the CV. The local authority where I worked was a joyful place for many years, where we worked our socks off. The much loved chief executive was then unceremoniously jettisoned and what followed was a succession of interims and yes men. All joy went out the window. All the long standing and knowledgeable staff were let go. We entered a world of mission statements and corporate values, with KPIs plastered on noticeboard. Sounds familiar?

Naim needs stability, passion and to support its owners and prospective owners through fantastic customer service and of course great products. Of course it needs to be profitable and to deliver the return to its backers, but with a deft hand it can achieve both.

Hi,

My taste in music shouldn't serve to illustrate my passion for the business ????

For me this a role I've dreamed of, an opportunity to lead a business I've been a fan of since being a teenager, and while I'm no spring chicken, it is a role I look forward to holding for many years to come.

Naim is more than just an iconic company, it is the best at what it does in the world with an extended family of loyal customers, incredible products and a shared obsession for the finest music (or occasionally Snow Patrol ????... )

Charlie

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by JimDog

Hi Charlie

Naim is for me the world's best HiFi brand - and for almost everyone on this forum.

Naim's world is being transformed by tectonic forces - especially, financialization, globalization and convergence of ICT markets as they engulf the possibility of 'audio' as a discrete thing unto itself.

Naim needs to work out how to segment and understand these changing markets; identify them, talk to them, distribute and sell to them.

How to communicate what's great about Naim to these new groups of buyers.

How to keep the purity of what Naim has always done better than anyone else, while hooking up with the internet - while keeping it as simple as possible.

That should keep you busy for a decade at least.

Good luck

Jim

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by FangfossFlyer

Hi Charlie,

Welcome aboard.

Here's hoping Naim does not loose it's legacy but builds upon it.

All the best to you and yours,

Richard

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Darke Bear

Also a welcome from me. I've read all the posts of hopes, fears and wishes and it is a tough one to square.

I retired a few years back from a company that also gradually had the all too familiar infusion of corporate-rubbish-non-think and we only got through it by keeping enough people there who were still passionate about their job and product and working around the slew of new 'improved' (worse) working methods.

I don't know the current situation in Naim and only hope you can make people there feel individually special and valued for what they each bring. It does start at the top and you can do a lot to the good as it is a good company that is larger than the sum of its financially-measurable parts IMO.

I wish you great success - and please keep the good products appearing to tempt us!

DB.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Stenberg
Charlie Henderson posted:

Good morning everyone!
I wanted  to introduce myself to you all.

My name is Charlie Henderson, and I have just taken on one of the most exciting roles of my life, and a role that I feel privileged to hold, as the new Managing Director of Naim Audio.

I've been an admirer of Naim Audio since my teenage years (which is too many years ago now to think about!) and hold our obsession for producing the very finest in audio quality very close to my heart.

In a world where too many companies are busying themselves with dumbing down sound quality and compromising at every step, we continue to hold true to the values of our founder Julian Vereker all those years ago... that music should be heard as the artist intended. Not compromised, not fast tracked through like it is audio wallpaper, but appreciated like the joy that it is, a moment to stop, to reflect, to consider, to immerse yourself in the sheer delight of sound.

I've been with the team in Salisbury for the last couple of weeks, learning my way around, getting to meet the experts who make everything happen, and being able to see how the most stunning of audio equipment is produced, by hand and with absolute love, by the team here.Welcome Mr. Henderson

I look forward to getting to know, and to meet, many of you over the coming weeks, months and years.

Cheers

Charlie

Welcome Mr. Henderson.

I hope we get achance to meet when we drop in for a visit on the 12th of December. We - Morten and myself are your distributor in Denmark, and will be in Salisbury for a meeting with Paul and your financial dep. You're now the Captain on one of the most important boats in the industry, so please look out for Iceberg's....

Best of Luck with your new job

Peter Stenberg

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by avi

Hi, Charlie.
Congratulations on your new appointment. All the best.

Hope you continue Naim tradition  successfully.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Stevie Bart

Hi Charlie, hope you have a great time at Naim

I think this must be the appropriate place to raise this issue:-

Naim app is rubbish with Android; great with IOS

So had to buy an IPad costing around £600

Could you please arrange a refund for the above please.

OK, OK, you may send a Naim discount voucher instead. 

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Donkeyhaute

Welcome, Charlie, and congratulations on what must be a dream role. As someone who has spent nearly 20 years in marketing (across a whole spectrum of industries), may I express a personal hope that you leave all of that knowledge at the door of your new office.

Naim does not require increased customer 'engagement', re-branding (again), logo updates, increased channels, 'content stickiness', KPIs, mission statements, vision statements, clickbait ad-buys, PR stunts, celebrity endorsements, marketing emails, magazines, Snapchat or YouTube accounts or anything even vaguely of that ilk.

Why?

Engagement = repetitively annoying a customer. I'm not 'engaged' with my supplier of lavatory paper. I'm barely engaged to my fiancee.

Re-branding = confusing a customer for no reason other than to have 'achieved' something.

Logo updates - pointless, it's already  'iconic'.

Increased channels = 14 years olds don't buy NAP250s. And, after Brexit, won't be able to until about 2065

KPIs - provide an excuse for conspicuous activity by middle management and utterly obscure the principle purpose.

Mission statements = lying to people who know that you're lying and, consequently, admire you less for it.

Vision statements = lying plus misunderstood Buddhism to mitigate the above.

Celebrity endorsements - maybe get Dmitry Medvedev?

HTML emails - these became spam in 2006.

I could go on but Dmitry would un-friend me on Snapchat and I value him as a deliciously irreverent content provider.

Naim works because it makes unique-sounding equipment and is resolutely un-modish. I'd get behind the long-standing employees and conspicuously value what they bring.

Those are the qualities that distinguish the company and ones that I encourage you to get behind.  

I wish you all the very best in those endeavours.

PS:  Focal speakers sound like a washing machine having a nervous breakdown in a train station.

Love and  smooches,

Terry Nutkins.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by French Rooster

new Director or new Pope ?   without offense to the op.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Ravenswood10
Donkeyhaute posted:

Welcome, Charlie, and congratulations on what must be a dream role. As someone who has spent nearly 20 years in marketing (across a whole spectrum of industries), may I express a personal hope that you leave all of that knowledge at the door of your new office.

Naim does not require increased customer 'engagement', re-branding (again), logo updates, increased channels, 'content stickiness', KPIs, mission statements, vision statements, clickbait ad-buys, PR stunts, celebrity endorsements, marketing emails, magazines, Snapchat or YouTube accounts or anything even vaguely of that ilk.

Why?

Engagement = repetitively annoying a customer. I'm not 'engaged' with my supplier of lavatory paper. I'm barely engaged to my fiancee.

Re-branding = confusing a customer for no reason other than to have 'achieved' something.

Increased channels = 14 years olds don't buy NAP250s. And, after Brexit, won't be able to until about 2065

KPIs - provide an excuse for conspicuous activity by middle management and utterly obscure the principle purpose.

Mission statements = lying to people who know that you're lying and, consequently, admire you less for it.

I could go on but Dmitry would un-friend me on Snapchat and I value him as a deliciously irreverent content provider.

Naim works because it makes unique-sounding equipment and is resolutely un-modish. I'd get behind the long-standing employees and conspicuously value what they bring.

Those are the qualities that distinguish the company and ones that I encourage you to get behind.  

PS:  Focal speakers sound like a washing machine having a nervous breakdown in a train station.

Love and  smooches,

Terry Nutkins.

No they don't. I have a Miele washing machine - I tried plugging in my SL speaker cables and the wash was just the same. 

So much negativity around Focal just confirms to me what an excellent choice I made with my Sopra 2s ....and no they’re not orange.....

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by achique99

Welcome To The Machine (Naim Forum of course) Charlie!!

Glad to have you, a new MD for a free chat here. I am a Naim user 6,500 miles away from the UK, owning of what people called a wonky active system driving an Allae. Okay, my question to you, is there any plan to introduce new range of speakers that can go active like in the old days?

Last but not least, is there life for the Snaxo after Allae, SBL, SL2 or even DBL?  Hopefully, in one fine day, the Snaxo works with other brand’s active speakers too. 

Cheers!

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by nigelb

Charlie, told you there would be no shortage of advice. I am sure there should be a moment not to far away where you quietly shut this thread down, or you will not get any real work done or will be diverted to fix the many challenges given to you on this well-intentioned, but apparently endless thread.

The bit of advice I would echo (Donkeyhaute) is to conspicuously value your staff, the lifeblood and 'real stuff' of any organisation. But you wouldn't have been appointed MD if weren't aware of that pearl of wisdom.

Good luck

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by engjoo

Welcome on board!

Can you tell us more about yourself ?

Perhaps share a little more about the hifi side of you? Do you have a system at home and what are they ?

Professionally, what have you been before joining Naim ?

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by David Hendon

You should read the whole thread @engjoo and google will fill in some gaps for you if you want....

best

David

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by JimDog

https://www.linkedin.com/in/charliehenderson/

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by cnewyork
northpole posted:

Charlie

Welcome to the machine, so to speak!

I was fortunate enough to be included in the group invited along to see the new digital products, ND555 etc earlier this year.  One of the interesting/ challenging observations I took away from what was a fantastic day at Naim HQ was perhaps highlighted by Nigel in his post above.  From the visitor group, there was a significant chasm which opened up when we were presented with a pair of large Focal speakers hooked up to the new Naim products.  Interesting opinions were expressed about the speakers, when ideally all focus should have been on the Naim!  With your new position straddling both Naim and Focal in UK, I'd suggest some customer clinics to try to establish why Focal is so unappreciated by some Naim forumites - there should be some very informed and valuable feedback freely available to help with Focal speaker product development or at least understand what some people perceive as holding them back.  It would be great to see one happy family in this regard.  Mind you, Naim speakers in themselves generated many opinions !!

Best of luck with with your new Naim adventure.

Peter

Northpole, as always your postings are right on as in case of Focal speakers. While not present for the demo you attended I recently made a concerted effort to assess for purpose of buying upper range of Focal speakers including Sopra & Utopia lines. While appreciating their energy they offered none of the musical intimacy and accessibility we've found in Naim. 

Charlie, welcome! Naim consumers are also Naim investors that I hope ownership and management will neither abandon, nor trash as happens in consumer electronics.  If you do would you mind selling Naim line even without the name to audio devotee versed in the Naim audio arts.       

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by drawtheline55

Hello Charlie, congratulations on the job, also from across the pond here in The US. Glad to see a fellow Cult fan.

Ben.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by engjoo

Charlie, what hifi system do you have at home ?

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Gazza

He currently has a Uniti Star, I guess from before he got the new role.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Penarth Blues

A bit late to the party but congratulations on your new role Charlie. I'd add to the many observations you've already had that, in a world increasingly run by a few large corporations and bean counters, your 'USP' and the thing that keeps people coming back for more is the raw emotion that Naim equipment can bring to music. There's a reason for the very large power supplies...

I'd suggest you might find it illuminating to read the threads concerning the most recent software updates for streamers, and the upset that forcing a change in sound on people had at the time. I know that for my humble Uniti2 I had the choice of the newer, thinner 'hifi' sound and the latest software fixes, or retaining the sound I preferred but missing out on some useful updates. I no longer listen to my system anywhere near as much as I used to with the latest update, as it has lost the 'punch' that the previous software code had.

This has meant I have also put on hold any thoughts of upgrading as I do not trust the more recent 'corporate' direction Naim seems to have gone in, and cannot afford to spend £k's on a product that no longer feels designed to last or be upgraded.

I still log in to the forum now and again, like tonight, and your appointment and delightfully human introduction has given me hope that the corporate 'rot' might be caught before it is too late.

I'll leave on a positive note - you have a world-class product and brand on your hands. These should be some of the most fulfilling years of your life as it appears that you genuinely enjoy music. I hope you enjoy them!

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by feeling_zen

How does the saying go? "Opinions are like arse holes. Everyone's got one"

Welcome Charlie!

I understand you are one of several people with the power to steer and influence this great brand. So I don't see why you should not get creative. 

Clearly there is a lot of passionate brand advicates here. I may even be one. But I also know that whatever happens to Naim, the sun will come up and people will still enjoy music. The future's brighness is not measured by how close or far from the past we travel. Naim's success as a hifi brand is not necessarily rooted in the current way of doing things. I hear a lot of fear on this thread but the truth is Naim could be radically different in 10 years from now AND still be attractive to the original customer base and be better than ever.

I wish you all the success there is and hope you make the role your own.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by thebigfredc
Donkeyhaute posted:

Why?

Love and  smooches,

Terry Nutkins.

The best post of 2018 by a country mile and spot on.

Please no more 'reimagining of your music collection' and other marketing rubbish, such as the constant banging on about Bentley.

I realise that the clock can't be rolled back to the late 90s/early 2000s when Naim was at the top of its game (when the 552, 300 etc came out) but look at the Classic range as the bedrock and modernise it a bit by, for example, removing the record buttons.

Ray

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Bob the Builder

Hi Charlie,

Well done on the new job and welcome. 

It seems you have inherited a company in transition and as always will get resistance which ever way you choose to take it.  As you know yourself as a longstanding fan of Naim Audio they are a company who have designed and made some world class amplifiers that divide opinion amongst hi-fi enthusiasts but have an extremely loyal fanbase it seems that in the search for more customers with the new uniti products Naim have managed to didvide opinion amongst even it's most loyal customers.

Only you as MD and your associates are party to the information that tells you wether the new units are a great success and wether or not you throw the full force of the company behind these 'lifestyle' products if that is the case and you keep Naim Audio growing and successful then well done.  As a fan of those great amplifiers perhaps you could oversee their continued support and perhaps even spare a few crumbs on the development of something that reflects that great history because as one of my all time heroes Bob Marley once sang ' In this great future you can't forget your past'.