Introducing myself

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 23 November 2018

Good morning everyone!
I wanted  to introduce myself to you all.

My name is Charlie Henderson, and I have just taken on one of the most exciting roles of my life, and a role that I feel privileged to hold, as the new Managing Director of Naim Audio.

I've been an admirer of Naim Audio since my teenage years (which is too many years ago now to think about!) and hold our obsession for producing the very finest in audio quality very close to my heart.

In a world where too many companies are busying themselves with dumbing down sound quality and compromising at every step, we continue to hold true to the values of our founder Julian Vereker all those years ago... that music should be heard as the artist intended. Not compromised, not fast tracked through like it is audio wallpaper, but appreciated like the joy that it is, a moment to stop, to reflect, to consider, to immerse yourself in the sheer delight of sound.

I've been with the team in Salisbury for the last couple of weeks, learning my way around, getting to meet the experts who make everything happen, and being able to see how the most stunning of audio equipment is produced, by hand and with absolute love, by the team here.

I look forward to getting to know, and to meet, many of you over the coming weeks, months and years.

Cheers

Charlie

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Polarbear

A warm welcome onboard Charlie, I look forward to seeing a Naim enthusiast take the helm and I hope to see Naim retaining their grass roots and growing.

Naim Audio is all about the music, in order that we all may get to know you more, can I ask what's your system and who are your musical influences?

Kind regards

PB

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Crispy

Welcome Charlie from sunny (make that rainy and miserable) Jersey. I very much approve of the way you introduced yourself to forum members. Too often now these things are done behind a faceless press release, but you have done it in a very human way which I am sure will have endeared you to everyone here. Hopefully that will continue for many years to come as we all enjoy a little Naim in our lives everyday. There are always grumbles along the way, as highlighted above, but, although it may sometimes take more time and cost more money, solutions are generally found. Your friendly participation also gives me comfort that Naim won’t do a Linn and shut down the forum any day soon.

After your Pink Floyd reference I just put on A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Have not heard it for years and was blown away by what my new NDX2 did with it. Now off to find some more ‘forgotten’ albums.

Good luck with the new role.

Crispy

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Rattlesnaic

Does this mean my application was unsuccessful ?

Oh well

Best of luck Charlie

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by S3

Charlie,

Many congratulations on this role and I wish you all the best driving this fabulous company forward.

Great to have a former Motorolan at the helm????????

Regards

David

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by JamieWednesday

Greetings from someone who I guess is a long termer now Charlie.

So, when can we expect to see a Naim DAP?

That way we can experience the Naim sound out of the house, without buying a Bentley.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Olek_K

Good luck and have fun! I really feel priviledged having a star at home - just like the managing director

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Harry

Hi Charlie. Welcome and best wishes.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by davidf

Welcome from New York - I am a Naim owner since approximately 1982- after trying many American hifi brands. I still have my all Olive system and use Focal loudspeakers. 

As new MD of Naim, will you work closely, or at all, with Focal? 

David 

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Good evening Charlie - and welcome to this mad house called the Naim Forum.
Looking forward to Naim regaining some of the shine it seems to have lost over the past couple of years.

Best from Warsaw,

Adam

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Sloop John B

Can I echo .. echo...echo... the welcomes. No doubt by now you are aware of how serious some of us are about music and love/loyalty/affiliation to Naim.

But as Chrissie sang............ there's a thin line between love and hate................ and a lot of us here do show some bipolar tendencies when it comes to Naim.

Never easy to please everyone but honesty does help smooth over some of the bumps on the road ...........

big shoes, may I wish you the very best of luck in trying to fill them

.sjb

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Hook

Congratulations Charlie from chilly Minnesota!  

Have only been a Naim customer for about ten years, a rookie compared to some here.  But I will say this:  despite having a great dealer with an excellent distributor, I doubt I would have invested so much in Naim without the support and comraderie found here on this forum. Much of that comes down to the steady hand of your moderator, Mr. Dane.  Long may it continue!

Best of luck with leading Naim going forward!

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by blythe

A very warm welcome!
As you list "Talk Talk" as a favourite of yours, I instantly like you.
I bought my Naim NBL speakers from a previous Naim MD.
Plus, he organised an "employee built" Nait 3R for me, which I bought on behalf of my brother.
Do you happen to have any lightly used Statement amps or a lightly used ND555 you'd like to pass my way? ;-)

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Robert Burgess

Hi Charlie - Another very warm welcome here, and thanks for your support of the Naim Forum! This is an extremely valuable resource for our world-wide Naim community, and the extraordinary efforts of Richard Dane, (as well as the Naim support staff) to keep it going at such a high standard are much appreciated. Needless-to-say, I wish you and the company every success for the future. Kind regards - Bob Burgess

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by DUPREE

Congratulations and good luck. Hope NAIM is able to keep ahold of everything that makes it special in this rapidly changing world. Have 2 Naim systems, really have helped me enjoy music and Hi-Fi again.. Love streaming, but it still does not have the Vinyl magic - hope that NAIM in the future still focuses on both.. I feel Linn have kind of lost their way and become Hi-Fi jewelry, hope NAIM can keep the passion..

Bill

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by badlyread

Welcome Charlie

Wishing you all the best in your new position.

A point if I may:

I've owned a reasonable amount of Naim kit over the years (never going too expensive- the CB Nait 2 being a particular favourite) and have settled on an Atom as it fits my needs perfectly. My point is that the sound is great but to draw in more customers the UI needs to be a better experience as more people move away from the physical formats. No file icons but album art and artist photos (not everyone wishes to invest in Roon). This is where you will draw in more satisfied customers I believe. 

Have a wonderful time. 

Neil

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by joerand
Charlie Henderson posted:

In a world where too many companies are busying themselves with dumbing down sound quality and compromising at every step, we continue to hold true to the values of our founder

Too many companies? Busying? Dumbing down? Compromising at every step? Best wishes with that market speak.

Then there's reality. In the end your future is about profit and feeding the shareholder's coffers. 

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Praggers

Welcome Charlie to a dream job!

Hope you make it down to Australia one day to show off some Naim gear!

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Olly

Charlie

Congratulations on your appointment.  Our tastes in music and, to some extent, replay systems may differ but our love of music unites the Naim community.

Good luck at the helm. 

Olly

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by jlarsson

Charlie,

Congratulations to landing a great job!

Need a product tip? How about bringing back the Naim SBL as an integrated active speaker (like ATC.s or Linn).  Reducing box-count and freeing floorspace (SBL.:s go near the wall). Think about it :-)

Jan - from Sweden

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Gazza

Perhaps to make the previous post more tenable. I think we accept that Naim have no more room for loudspeaker production. Why not get Focal to produce a Naim design?

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Charlie Henderson
Polarbear posted:

A warm welcome onboard Charlie, I look forward to seeing a Naim enthusiast take the helm and I hope to see Naim retaining their grass roots and growing.

Naim Audio is all about the music, in order that we all may get to know you more, can I ask what's your system and who are your musical influences?

Kind regards

PB

Hi, just planning out my system now that I can chat direct to the experts here everyday,... ????

As for musical influences, growing up it was Prince in a big way, even more folksy stuff like All About Eve and 10,000 Maniacs, and The Cult and New Model Army. Mentioned a few of my other favourites in another post, but need to add in The The too. All in all a bit of a mixture!

Nowadays it's my kids, love hearing what they listen to, and getting them to appreciate some of the classics from my generation.

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Erich

Hi Charlie,

Congratulations and all the very best in your new role for your success and also for the delight of our ears.

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Filipe
Charlie Henderson posted:
Polarbear posted:

Kind regards

PB

Hi, just planning out my system now that I can chat direct to the experts here everyday,... ????

As for musical influences, growing up it was Prince in a big way, even more folksy stuff like All About Eve and 10,000 Maniacs, and The Cult and New Model Army. Mentioned a few of my other favourites in another post, but need to add in The The too. All in all a bit of a mixture!

Nowadays it's my kids, love hearing what they listen to, and getting them to appreciate some of the classics from my generation.

Welcome Charlie

Can you tell us about your home system?

Phil

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Charlie Henderson
davidf posted:

Welcome from New York - I am a Naim owner since approximately 1982- after trying many American hifi brands. I still have my all Olive system and use Focal loudspeakers. 

As new MD of Naim, will you work closely, or at all, with Focal? 

David 

Hi David, absolutely! We're all part of the same family, and in my role I also manage the Focal UK business working alongside our colleagues at Focal in France. We put a lot of effort into optimising the audio quality between the two systems to bring the very best combined experience.

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by MDS

A nice touch to introduce yourself on here, Charlie.  Congratulations on your appointment.

And for what it is worth, I think Focal and Naim are already well optimised and I've been happily pairing them for some time now.

Mike