SuperLine Loading Thread.

Posted by: Julian H on 26 April 2008

Since there are now a few SUPERLINE's about and many are expecting them shortly I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we could all contribute our experiences.

Please keep all discussions on topic. The ultimate intention is to have a database of users opinion for each of the various cartridges being used.
Posted on: 05 August 2009 by Rockingdoc
quote:
Originally posted by blackforest:
one quick question:

in my system
(Raven/Ortofon12"/Shelter301 on 202/200 - no caps)

the SL sounds best naked (10kohm).

am i the only one?

i am getting a hicap today or tomorrow and try to replicate my findings.

regards
BF

ps> the SL really sings together with the quiet Shelter - wonderful!

Not sure what you mean by an Ortofon 12", but I use an Ortofon Rohmann, and after many combinations of loading am convinced it sounds best with a load between 220R and 300R (no cap). I would expect other Ortofon MCs to be the same.
Posted on: 05 August 2009 by fixedwheel
I think BF meant a 12 inch Ortofon arm with a Shelter 301 cartridge. BICBW

John
Posted on: 05 August 2009 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Originally posted by David252:
Does anybody have experience with a Lyra Skala on a ARO LP12 combination.

I am currently using the 500R with the 10nF loadings, but I am sure there is more to come.

Where would I get alternate loading plugs?

I have a customer with a Lyra on an Aro LP12 and he settled for a 470R and 1nF. So try the standard 500R/1nF as in the pack with the Superline and see if you prefer it.

Some dealers do make up their own load plugs, but if your dealer doesn't, he can order the 470R plug from Naim and it should cost you about £15.00.

Kind regards,

Peter
Posted on: 05 August 2009 by JeremyT2
I am using 500R and no ther plug on the Skala on my VPI. Works really well but best if you keep trying ythe combinations until you find what suits you best.

Tone Audio recommended 220R on the Skala in their Superline review - http://www.tonepublications.co...o-magazine-issue-21/
But I found it closed in and generally sub CD. Horses for courses.

J
Posted on: 05 August 2009 by jacques (JD12)
Peter,

And for my Supex 900, which values would be the best ?

TIA

Jacques
Posted on: 05 August 2009 by Cymbiosis
Sorry Jaques, I don't have any experience with the Supex, so I'll leave others to answer if I may. Experimentation with the standard load plug set should give good results anyway. Just trust your ears! Smile

Kind regards,

Peter
Posted on: 05 August 2009 by jacques (JD12)
Thank you Peter, this cart is for many an old horse but it was with that cart that Guy designed the Aro. Mine is N.O.S., I will try different values and begin with standard set-up.

Jacques
Posted on: 20 August 2009 by NDT
Anyone here make their own loading plug?
Posted on: 23 August 2009 by Cymbiosis
Sometimes........ It's well worth while experimenting especially if your cartridge has not been mentioned in these pages before like Jaques above.

Many members have found that small load changes can make substantial differences to the sound you achieve!

Kind regards,

Peter

Here are a few I've tried for Dynavector and Linn either side of the 500R supplied in the box with the Superline:
Here's a picture of an early 453R Airplug for Dynavector (I no longer leave the de-coupled tail on the plug). Much harder to make but well worth while IMHO.

Airplugs are not available seperately so one needs to donate a Hi-Line for the task, so not a cheap solution but a good one IMHO.

KR

Peter
Posted on: 23 August 2009 by kuma
Love the 590R, still with Akiva! Big Grin
Posted on: 23 August 2009 by mudwolf
Peter can you trim your favorites to about 3 for Dynavector? I don't want to have a dozen made. Right now I have only the 500.

I just changed my fraim and stacking and reworked everything, for some reason no sound on TT, I'll tackle it again today. Sure took up most of yesterday cleaning and restacking but now I can get behind the fraim but just barely.
Hi Mudwolf,

If you read back a little, you'll see 453R is what most people prefer, but with the 17D3 you should try 453R and 470R.

All the rest in the picture were also rans IMHO.

KR

Peter
Posted on: 23 August 2009 by mudwolf
I was redoing my stereo yesterday and put the Hicap on Superline. Turned it all on and no sound from TT. so I spent the evening watching things on DVD. This AM the TT sounds fantastic, I guess there's a wait time with Superline kicking in, I was too impatient.

I'll get a 453 and 470 made.
Posted on: 23 August 2009 by Patrick F
453 for dynavector. about 5min for the relays
to turn on.
LOL! Yes, I got caught out by that one, the first time I plugged in Smile

Sitting there thinking what had I done wrong, as I could hear some sound leaking through from the LP12 I had playing and consequently was sure it was faulty as I couldn't see anything in the manual! I opened a second one I had delivered at the same time, removed the transit bolts, plugged it in just the same and I got the same thing! Confused I wandered off to ring Naim when the relays activated everything!!!! Mmm! So I queried this with Naim and was told by Steve Sells....... Oh yes, it needs this time - Perfectly normal!

Anyway, this is why there should be a little information sticker on the bag around the Superline in the box these days to avoid other people making the same mistake as I did! Big Grin I suggested this to Steve Sells, as if I had been caught out in my impatient rush to hear the Superline, customers may well have the same experience on connecting up. He agreed and within a week or so every Superline had a warning sticker Smile

It may feel like five minutes, but the actual time is nearer two.

Kind regards,

Peter
Posted on: 24 August 2009 by blackforest
peter

your opinion is highly appreciated: i was inpressed by the SL and now have a WhestPS.30 at home for an extended demo - also a very impressive pre.

do you also think that the SL's timbre is a bit on the dark side? not a lot just a bit? also voices - they appear to me much more cleaner / more prominent on the Whest.

(used the SL with a Shelter 301 and 8kohms aka naked).

any ideas?

thing is i want to like the Superline more than the Whest Winker

regards
+christian
Posted on: 24 August 2009 by kuma
quote:
do you also think that the SL's timbre is a bit on the dark side? not a lot just a bit?

A tonal shading can be altered by using different loading.
thanks kuma. i always found the "naked" SL the best - most uncompromised sound. (
but then - perhaps this is the best loading for my Shelter cartridge.

best: christian
BF,

Are you powering the SL off an external PSU or off your preamp?
kuma

SL is back to the dealer. i had on AUX2 of my 202 (no HC2) - nice but a little muddled. one week later i loaned a HC2 - very nice but too much bass bloom. impressive phono pre - i liked the way it played godd & medioce recording, trios and big orchestras.
i only fear that i have to get a SC2 (i only run a lowly Shelter).
regards
BF
BF,

Which phono were you using prior to both SL and Whest?
Posted on: 25 August 2009 by blackforest
kuma

my profile is old - phono is heed quasar, klyne 6LE/P or whest two. speakers are audio note j, arm ortofon as309s, table raven one.

john

do your homework - the mm thing comes from this thread and is fully quoted in the above thread.
Posted on: 25 August 2009 by fixedwheel
quote:
my profile is old - phono is heed quasar, klyne 6LE/P or whest two. speakers are audio note j, arm ortofon as309s, table raven one.

Then it is up to you to keep the profile updated. It is, after all, an easy way to inform others of kit choices so they may proffer informed advice to your questions
quote:

john

do your homework - the mm thing comes from this thread and is fully quoted in the above thread.

I had, but it's true, my link could have been clearer. If I had used http://forums.naim-audio.com/e...85/m/4042952417/p/23 it would have been easier to follow. As it is 10 pages back in this thread I'd had to do a bit of searching to track the posts down.

John
Posted on: 25 August 2009 by Richard Dane
Can we please try to keep this thread on topic. Note that the topic is Superline Loading Thread...

It's been very useful to Superline users but becomes rather tedious when you have to start wading through lots of off-topic chat.

Thanks.