SuperLine Loading Thread.

Posted by: Julian H on 26 April 2008

Since there are now a few SUPERLINE's about and many are expecting them shortly I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we could all contribute our experiences.

Please keep all discussions on topic. The ultimate intention is to have a database of users opinion for each of the various cartridges being used.
Posted on: 25 August 2009 by blackforest
thanks richard
very helpful.

i have a quick question: was anything changed in the normal gain superline or are current prouction examples identical to the first series.

regards
+christian
frank

quite frankly - you're getting a little bit paranoid lately.

aren't you the one that let dealer A install a pair of SL2s and bought later from dealer B with a big discount?? just comes to my mind...

regards
+christian
frank

let's just leave it like that - it's like kindergarden.

regards
+christian
Posted on: 25 August 2009 by stephen hill
I have been running a Lyra Helikon SL with a 470R to good effect with the superline for about 12 months after quite a bit of experimenting. Have just had the ARO Keel and Linn Radikal installed and these (collectively) have to be the biggest upgrade I have ever made. I am enjoying the greater rhthym and timing as well as the deeper and broader soundstage. Thank you Peter - enjoy your holiday; it's much deserved!
Posted on: 26 August 2009 by Julian H
quote:
Originally posted by stephen hill:
I have been running a Lyra Helikon SL with a 470R to good effect with the superline for about 12 months after quite a bit of experimenting. Have just had the ARO Keel and Linn Radikal installed and these (collectively) have to be the biggest upgrade I have ever made. I am enjoying the greater rhthym and timing as well as the deeper and broader soundstage. Thank you Peter - enjoy your holiday; it's much deserved!

Welcome to the forum Stephen. Nice to see someone running a Lyra cart instead of the almost obligatory Dynas around here. Like to hear it one day?

Julian
Posted on: 26 August 2009 by blackforest
anyone using a SPU Classic on the Superline with good results?

regards
+BF
Posted on: 26 August 2009 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Originally posted by blackforest:

regards
+BF

Hello Stephen, welcome to the Forum and I'm very pleased you are so happy with your new additions Smile

Hi blackforest,

I don't know of anyone here who's used this with a Superline yet, so I suggest you contact your dealer for his advice. If he sells the SPU and Superline, he's bound to know. In the unlikely event that he doesn't, it may being a case of borrowing a few different loads from him and judging for yourself. Please then post your findings here.

KR

Peter
Posted on: 26 August 2009 by fixedwheel
Peter

BF dropped the loaner back to his dealer, and put up a wanted ad for one on another forum, so asking his dealer may raise uncomfortable questions.

HTH

John
Posted on: 26 August 2009 by Cymbiosis
John, you must be mistaken as given christian's post below on the last page Confused

Dealers are generally very happy to help you know, I've lent out different load plugs to two customers just today and I'm sure his dealer will continue to be a good egg...... Service comes first.

KR

Peter

quote:
frank

aren't you the one that let dealer A install a pair of SL2s and bought later from dealer B with a big discount?? just comes to my mind...

regards
+christian
Posted on: 26 August 2009 by fixedwheel
quote:
Originally posted by Cymbiosis:
John, you must be mistaken as given christian's post below on the last page Confused

Nope, not mistaken. It was in with a few posts that were culled. BFs post was a failed attempt to say FF had done the same, but FF had bought both! Ask Stu. I've dropped a quick email to the shop@ address.
quote:

Dealers are generally very happy to help you know, I've lent out different load plugs to two customers just today and I'm sure his dealer will continue to be a good egg...... Service comes first.

Which was why some of us objected to BFs attitude.

John
Posted on: 26 August 2009 by Old Parkland
quote:

regards
+BF

Hullo black forest, Been using the SPU royal blue navy for around one year with the superline. Not sure ? what differance to your SPU classic... I like the 470R no cap the best after trying various others eg, 500 and 453. Getting trully great results. The royai blue specifically more musical and informative than my previous Dynavector 17D2.

regards Carl.
Posted on: 26 August 2009 by paulr0414
Any insights as to what works well with Koetsu?
Posted on: 26 August 2009 by JeremyB
quote:

In my system, no plugs at all works best for my Onyx. I discovered that the cartridge resolution is reduced if any loading plug is fitted, even with no RC components inside them.

Higher output Koetsus may need the RF attenuation provided by the RC plugs in which case I suggest 1k ohms//560nF but it's not critical.
Posted on: 27 August 2009 by FangfossFlyer
I have just had my SL returned from Naim after the left channel went off line....not sure what they did to repair it but it is sounding incredible!

I use an Akiva and have been running with a 576R + 1nF loading but reinstalled at 560R + 1nF.

The system just sings with the 560R and I played both of The Beatles Anthology 2 and 3 LPs end to end followed by would you believe it Sgt Pepper (7 Beatles LPs in total) and my system and The Beatles have never sounded so good!

I saw a real insight into The Beatles making music..I loved it!

So I am back to the 560R again!

I will try the 576R again one day I am sure but at present the 560R seems closer to the real live performance where as the 576R had more detail but perhaps sounding too precise.

Still waiing to try something in between the 560R and 576R like a 568R...anybody tried such a loading with an Akiva?

Richard
Posted on: 27 August 2009 by jon h
quote:
Originally posted by JeremyB:
quote:

In my system, no plugs at all works best for my Onyx. I discovered that the cartridge resolution is reduced if any loading plug is fitted, even with no RC components inside them.

Higher output Koetsus may need the RF attenuation provided by the RC plugs in which case I suggest 1k ohms//560nF but it's not critical.

Martin Colloms was using no loading at all with his Koetsu into superline -- I think his has a light blue body?
Posted on: 27 August 2009 by JeremyB
Sorry, a bit jet lagged - I should have said 560ohms//1nF of course.

Light blue body is probably the Urushi, Mr Geoff P has that one too.
Posted on: 28 August 2009 by paulr0414
quote:
Originally posted by paulr0414:

Thanks Jeremy - mine's a low output.
Posted on: 29 August 2009 by Name
I'm running a Nott Space Deck, Spacearm and Helikon SL. After a good listening session with my local dealer...drop roll please... the award goes to custom 592 ohms and 1nF.
Posted on: 31 August 2009 by blackforest
quote:
I like the 470R no cap the best after trying various others eg, 500 and 453. Getting trully great results.

superline. Not sure ? what differance to your SPU classic... I like the 470R no cap the best after trying various others eg, 500 and 453. Getting trully great results. The royai blue specifically more musical and informative than my previous Dynavector 17D2.

regards Carl.[/QUOTE]

thanks carl - very helpful.

quote:
I like the 470R no cap the best after trying various others eg, 500 and 453. Getting trully great results.

can you do me a favor - try the SPU naked (w/o any plugs...). i would really be interested in your findings...

regards
+bf

ps> just to be clear regarding the accusations of fixedwheel et al: i find it ethically very very difficult to judge others. i have loaned a SL from my dealer, i have put up a WTB-ad on another forum. i have also asked my dealer for the price of a new SL. in the end i opted for the most logical step: exchange my whestps.30r against a superline. easy as that. which i will also inform my dealer about (as we are good friends). he knows that i will buy diff. stuff in the future (powerigel Winker)
i would NEVER judge anyone else i didn't know for private matters - find that really really disgusting - excuse my words.
Posted on: 31 August 2009 by Old Parkland
dear black forest -I did about 3 days ago !
Talk about a major U turn on my part !
Yes miles better again fully naked-simply wonderful.
Now need to shutup and listen-my mistake.
Thanks for the kind words.
regards Carl.
Posted on: 31 August 2009 by fixedwheel
quote:
ps> just to be clear regarding the accusations of fixedwheel et al: i find it ethically very very difficult to judge others. i have loaned a SL from my dealer, i have put up a WTB-ad on another forum. i have also asked my dealer for the price of a new SL. in the end i opted for the most logical step: exchange my whestps.30r against a superline. easy as that. which i will also inform my dealer about (as we are good friends). he knows that i will buy diff. stuff in the future (powerigel Winker)

Are you seriously saying you didn't know the price of a SuperLine before you took it home to try? After all, you then borrowed a HiCaap to drive it.
quote:

i would NEVER judge anyone else i didn't know for private matters - find that really really disgusting - excuse my words.

Doesn't match up with:-

quote:
frank

regards
+christian

You were then made to look really silly when Frank told you he had bought both pairs.

Everybody will read the posts, and come to their own conclusions.

John
john
you we're getting a bit personal - weren't you? apologies - i didn't mean to insult you. btw. frank bought the 2nd pair - but he did so later and if you want i can find you the whole thread.

munch
have you heard the Whest? it is not worse than the SL just different. some might prefer the Whest some the SL.
Posted on: 31 August 2009 by fixedwheel
There's always one, except in that rare case that there are two....
quote:
Originally posted by Old Parkland:
dear black forest -I did about 3 days ago !
Talk about a major U turn on my part !
Yes miles better again fully naked-simply wonderful.
Now need to shutup and listen-my mistake.
Thanks for the kind words.
regards Carl.

it's funny but also the few dealers i spoke too all preferred the naked superline (w/o any resistance plugs) - i wonder if you need a dynavector and a 552 to truly hear a difference.
they all said - and i agree - that it sounded the most open and uncompromised that way...
Posted on: 31 August 2009 by kuma
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
Just a thought, but who in there right mind would swop there Superline for a West 30R Phono Stage??

Just a thought, but who in there right mind would swop there Superline for a Urika Phono Stage?? Roll Eyes