SuperLine Loading Thread.

Posted by: Julian H on 26 April 2008

Since there are now a few SUPERLINE's about and many are expecting them shortly I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we could all contribute our experiences.

Please keep all discussions on topic. The ultimate intention is to have a database of users opinion for each of the various cartridges being used.
Posted on: 05 March 2010 by fixedwheel
I should have said that along with minding your back with all the heavy lifting, you'll probably need a spare pair of shoes with all the trips to the van, there being that many boxes.

Hopefully you, or Jon, will get chance to do a photo-shoot of the build up in the new location.

Cheers

John
Posted on: 05 March 2010 by jon h
everything is here (well BTW isnt, nor the nakamichi and studer stuff)

all stuff is plugged in to warm up overnight

will do a few pics tomorrow

we are now attacking some auchentoshan 18yo

we may be some time.... :-)

jon
Posted on: 05 March 2010 by kuma
quote:
Originally posted by Cymbiosis:
as it offered a lot and it's a good price too.

In the US, the Apheta goes for 1800$. From a brief demo on the ARO, I didn't think it's worth that but then someone else might.
At around the same price point, Ortofon Rohmann behaved better albeit it had a different set of dilemma from the Apheta. Loading it down helped ( 100 ohms ) and it was much easier to listen to.
Posted on: 06 March 2010 by jacques (JD12)
quote:
Originally posted by kuma:
jacues,

Their house sound is leaner than your Supex but just as good in a different way....

May be too much for my taste I'm afraid so !

Jacques
Posted on: 06 March 2010 by tonym
quote:
Originally posted by jon honeyball:
everything is here (well BTW isnt, nor the nakamichi and studer stuff)

all stuff is plugged in to warm up overnight

will do a few pics tomorrow

we are now attacking some auchentoshan 18yo

we may be some time.... :-)

jon

Sounds like hell over there...

Be brave lads!
Posted on: 07 March 2010 by Cymbiosis
LOL! Well I think I was giving the system more gas than Jon lat night Big Grin

Anyway, I'll post some pictures on sSystem Pics later when I get a few mins.

In the mean time and back on topic - Jon uses the 453R Airplug and the vinyl was singing last night Cool

KR

Peter
Posted on: 07 March 2010 by pt109
quote:
May be too much for my taste I'm afraid so !Jacques

You'll never know unless you hear one yourself.
Posted on: 23 March 2010 by Joppe
Hi all,

A bit of background, I have a SL powered from a 252. When I first ordered it last summer I also ordered two extra plugs 453 and 470ohm, they actually measure 454 and 462ohm. When I first got this I had a Rega P25 with RB600 and a DV17d3, at that time I clearly preferred the optional plugs over the standard “500ohm” plug (meas. 509ohm) with a slight preference for the “462”. Since then I have changed to a used LP12/Ekos1/Lingo2 with the same cartridge. When I got that I basically had the same preferences however as a part of trying to resolve some earth problems my dealer later on installed a used T-cable (I think that’s the name) and at that time I didn’t experiment with any plugs but continued to use the 462 plug. However, a few weeks ago “decided” that the vinyl sound was a bit “aggressive” and I tried the 509ohm plug and to my surprise I quite liked it! It was less aggressive and easier to listen to for longer periods and at higher volume (if you know the feeling), but possibly a bit retained and less dynamic.
Inspired by this I have decided to make a few plugs in between 509 and 462ohm based on resistor values 499, 487 and 475ohm. The new home made plugs measure: 495, 484 and 471ohm. From my very early listening tests I think it is between 484 and 471ohm my final decision will be, but it is still early.

Finally to my question, making these up I intended to solder the resistor in the same direction etc as the Naim made but on the 471ohm plug I seem to have turned the resistors in the opposite direction. Will this influence the sound? Of cause I understand that from a theoretical point it should not, but HiFi and theories does not always go hand in hand, anyone with an opinion or own experience?

By the way, are there any other DV17d3/(Ekos/T-cable) users that have done this before me who like to share the experiences?

ATB/Jakob
Posted on: 23 March 2010 by David Dever
quote:
When I first ordered it last summer I also ordered two extra plugs 453 and 470ohm, they actually measure 454 and 462ohm

...as these are used in parallel with the internal 10K resistance!
Posted on: 23 March 2010 by Julian H
quote:
Originally posted by David Dever:
quote:
When I first ordered it last summer I also ordered two extra plugs 453 and 470ohm, they actually measure 454 and 462ohm

...as these are used in parallel with the internal 10K resistance!

Surely more to do with resistor production tolerances [i.e 1%, 5% etc..,].

454ohms in parallel with 10kohms is 434ohms, not 453.
Posted on: 23 March 2010 by kuma
David,

Can you explain what that means in a layman's term?
Posted on: 23 March 2010 by Joppe
My reference is to the bare resistors, not considering the internal 10kOhm resistance.
Posted on: 23 March 2010 by pt109
quote:
David,
Can you explain what that means in a layman's term?

Check this out;
http://www.1728.com/resistrs.htm
Hope this helps

To mods; If this link breaks the rules, please delete this post.