What book are you reading right now?

Posted by: Chillkram on 23 May 2010

I thought I'd revive this classic old thread as I couldn't find the original.

I am currently reading Suetonius, 'The Twelve Caesars'.

How about you?
Posted on: 16 June 2010 by nicnaim
Having originally seen and really enjoyed the film of the first installment of the Millenium Trilogy, I thought that I would read the books books. I found that I could not put them down, and read all three in a week.

Regards

Nic

Posted on: 16 June 2010 by mongo
quote:
Originally posted by nicnaim:
Having originally seen and really enjoyed the film of the first installment of the Millenium Trilogy, I thought that I would read the books books. I found that I could not put them down, and read all three in a week.

Regards

Nic

Just bought the first one today. It was on a shelf whilst I was waiting to pay for two cd's.

Looking forward to it, hope it's as good as the hype.
Posted on: 16 June 2010 by Timbo
Margrave of the Marshes

T
Posted on: 16 June 2010 by Blueknowz
quote:

Regards

Nic

Unputdownable now there is a word if it is a word you don't hear everyday!
Posted on: 20 June 2010 by Voltaire

I wonder if our generation will publish volumes of emails or texts or tweets?
Posted on: 20 June 2010 by ray davis
Auschwitz the nazis and the final solution.
Posted on: 20 June 2010 by ianmacd
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
Got to the end of this today with my 5 year old son.

Such a good book.

Such a pile of shite (to use one of your favourite adjectives.)

Ian
Posted on: 20 June 2010 by Peter Dinh

By F. W. Mote, Professor Emeritus at Princeton University. A very readable book.
Such a colorful, interesting history.
Posted on: 20 June 2010 by Chillkram
quote:
Originally posted by ianmacd:
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
Got to the end of this today with my 5 year old son.

Such a good book.

Such a pile of shite (to use one of your favourite adjectives.)

Ian

Such a wonderful book, Stu.
Posted on: 20 June 2010 by Guido Fawkes
Charles Hughes, The Winning Formula: The Football Association Soccer Skills and Tactics (1990)

What a great book - surely a must-read for all potential England managers.
Posted on: 20 June 2010 by Chillkram
quote:
Originally posted by ROTF:
Charles Hughes, The Winning Formula: The Football Association Soccer Skills and Tactics (1990)

What a great book - surely a must-read for all potential England managers.

It's a route one should take if one has serious aspirations towards football management.
Posted on: 21 June 2010 by Massimo Bertola
James Hillman's The soul's code.
Posted on: 24 June 2010 by Phil Barry
Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell
Posted on: 24 June 2010 by Haim Ronen
Posted on: 24 June 2010 by winkyincanada

Highly amusing.
Posted on: 24 June 2010 by markah
Posted on: 25 June 2010 by tonym
quote:

Regards

Nic

I'm currently rushing through the first, with the other two waiting in the wings.

Great reading so far!
Posted on: 25 June 2010 by mongo
Half way through the second and I'll get the third tomorrow. Great stuff.

Though does anyone else think the translation is a bit loose?
Posted on: 25 June 2010 by lutyens
As Mrs Lutyens who never reads couldn't put the first one down until the end, I have read just finished the first one and am waiting for her to complete the second so I can start that. (We have two copies of the third, so no problem there!). It was a really good read and Mrs Lutyens tells me No:2 is even better! I am astonished at the bizzareness of the baddies in these books but real life follows on very quickly...........think Austria/basements etc. I did give up reading patricia cornwall who seemed to just concentrate on the gore. Fortunately Larsson doesn't.
As to the translation, translation is always a difficult issue but yes some of it was a little 'loose'....'goalbird'? That said a friend who works in publishing says that it is quite often the case that a 'mistake' is placed in a book so that they can track fake copies from around the world.....so who knows 'goalbird' may be one of those.
Anyway, can't wait to start number 2.
atb
james
Posted on: 25 June 2010 by Dungassin
That set is next on my reading list - on the recommendation of my daughters.

Currently just finishing "City Of Glass", 3rd volume of "The Mortal Instruments" by Cassandra Clare. I was given the first by daughter #2 and my first thought was "more teenage vampire type stuff". Actually it turned out to be excellent and I rapidly ordered vols 2 and 3. Highly recommended. Much better than the Stephanie Meyer stuff IMO.

Also - try Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. Not too deep and great fun.
Posted on: 28 June 2010 by David
Posted on: 28 June 2010 by Jono 13
Just finished...

Very good if a bit long.

Jono
Posted on: 28 June 2010 by Frank Abela
In the middle of 'The Rose Labyrinth' by Tatiana Hardie. Very good read if you like modern hidden religious sects on a mad rush to bring on the end of the world. You know - Dan Brown kind of thing.

Recently finished Jim Butcher's 'Turn Coat'. I love this series. Great if you're into modern day wizards keeping things under wraps while all hell is literally trying to break loose. Very readable.
Posted on: 28 June 2010 by Blueknowz
I have the seen the film of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,Bought the other two books,which I unable to get near for SWBO is reading the second book,so I'm rereading this great book.
Posted on: 29 June 2010 by dav301