ND555/252 vs NDS/552, Which Is Best? Only One Way To Find Out - Fight!

Posted by: nigelb on 21 November 2018

I was pretty sure I knew the answer to this one, given all the praise the ND555 has been rightly receiving, and, after all, I have always been a source first bloke. Well it turns out I know nothing!

Thinking it was time to move to the new streaming platform and take advantage of possibly one of the best streamers ever made, I was keen to hear the ND555 at home but, due to the steep incline in costs for future upgrades, any upgrading now will need to be done in stages. That means the ND555 will need to be able to show its capabilities with my current 252DR/250DR and MA GX300 speakers until such time I can pay attention these other components.

There is a problem though. In the back of my mind I remember the praise the 'classic' component in the Naim range, the 552, has received on a continuous basis over the last two decades.  But that would need to work with my current NDS/555DR/250DR/MA GX300s. As luck would have it, my dealer happens to have both a mint pre-loved 552 and one of the first ND555s (so well run in). A plan was forming.

To solve this puzzle my trusty dealer set up two systems for me to listen to. The first - ND555/PS555DR/252/SuperCapDR and the second - NDS/PS555DR/552(non DR), both systems used with a 300DR and Kudos Titan 707s. I would listen to both and decide which I would take home for extended dem, the ND555 or the 552. A forgone conclusion, I thought.

I brought 4 favourite CDs which the dealer ripped and I listened to the system fronted by the ND555 first and waited with bated breath for the fireworks. But there were none. The initial problem I had was that the dealer's listening room was over double the size of mine and was less damped. I was also used to listening 'near field' but was further away from the speakers at the dealers. It took me a while to acclimatise and the system was, I believe, improving over that first hour of listening. No denying the detail and coherence on offer but I felt the whole presentation was a bit on the clinical side. I was a tad dissappointed and checked with the dealer that the ND555 was fully run in, and it was. Might it have been the 252 struggling a bit with the detail it was being asked to process, or was it the unfamiliar listening environment. Not sure, but something wasn't quite right.

So onto the NDS/552 based system. From the first track I could tell this was rather special, although I was still struggling with the brighter, slightly echoey listening room. Again, as this session went on things started to improve, either the equipment settling in or me becoming more in tune with the listening room, or both.

After a further hour of listening, I had decided it was the 552 I wanted to take home for an extended listen. But before it was packed up, the very accommodating dealer married up the ND555 with the 552 and this was when things really took off, even in those unfamiliar acoustic surroundings. It seemed to me that the NDS/552 was less of a compromise than the ND555/252, so off I went with the 552 for home demo.

I have been listening to the 552 in my system for much of today and have been pretty much blown away. I will save all the detailed descriptions for a couple of days when I have had a chance to listen more. But this 552 ain't going nowhere!

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by TomSer

Great you're enjoying your 552! 

Your listening experience and Simon-in-Suffolks' made me change my mind regarding the next step to make. I was planning to replace my nDAC with a ND555.

The ND555 will come eventually, but I'll have to wait. The NAC552 has its cost. And postponing the ND555 purchase is probably a good idea considering the recently identified software glitches and inconsistencies. 

I really look forward to experience the change from the 252 to 552 

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Clive B
TomSer posted:

The ND555 will come eventually, but I'll have to wait. The NAC552 has its cost. And postponing the ND555 purchase is probably a good idea considering the recently identified software glitches and inconsistencies. 

In defence of the ND555 I’d say the only “software glitch” that I have now, and which I have experienced twice, is the display getting frozen on an earlier album. It’s easily sorted by powering off and on again. Even that’s no big deal since I have the display set to off when it’s playing. It’s a superbly musical source component. 

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by nigelb
TomSer posted:

Great you're enjoying your 552! 

Your listening experience and Simon-in-Suffolks' made me change my mind regarding the next step to make. I was planning to replace my nDAC with a ND555.

I really look forward to experience the change from the 252 to 552 

TomSer, not sure how close you are to a Naim dealer but were you able to demo the 552 or did you buy on spec?

Either way, I don't think you will be disappointed when it arrives with you. I am not however familiar with your streamer/DAC source, although I know the PS555DR very well.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by nigelb

A final summary from me explaining why I picked the 552 over the ND555 from a dealer demo for a lengthier home demo and why I am now the proud owner of this end-game pre amp.

My comments relate solely to my home demo, having substituted my trusty 252DR the a 2008 non DR'd 552. Probably the best place to start is with some of my posts in the Music Room when I first started to listen in anger to the 552 at home.

This comment was made having listened to the second CD (rip) from Eva Cassidy's wonderful Nightbird album:

'Listening to CD 2 of this double album and that flippin' pre amp is working its magic again. The live vibe of this recording is shining through and what a wonderful recording it is too. And that voice! The band behind Eva are brilliant too.

There are some tracks that are very dense and the venue sounds rather intimate. But the 552 keeps control beautifully with air around intruments and vocals even when the band and Eva are at full pelt. This is the kind of control when the mix is 'full on' that I have been searching for!

Wonderful stuff'.

These were my comments about two more favourite albums (Mighty Mo Rodgers - Blues Is My Wailin' Wall and Foy Vance - Hope) and what the 552 brought to the table, above and beyond the 252DR:

'Two albums that have just blown me away listening to them for the first time with a 552. I thought I knew these albums, but so much more meaning, more emotional connection, instruments more real, vocals with more emotion, just stunning. Some tracks before I could give or take, now seem to make more sense and have drawn me in for the first time. Other belter tracks that were possibly over-played and started to sound a bit 'familiar', now sounding fresh with new dimensions.

It would seem that a 552 comes complete with a new music collection'.

That is a pretty good summary of what the 552 brings to the party, well my party. It does seem to have improved over the week I have lived with it, bringing more detail and definition but in a way that is relaxing rather than tiring. Music makes more sense because it is laid bare, with small details (musical and vocal) now audible and these queues, added to the fact that all lyrics are far clearer, all adds the intelligibility of pretty much every track.

I mention music is more relaxing with the 552 but it also stirs the soul, particularly in denser mixes with rock for example. It provides more air around instruments and vocals even in complex pieces when there is a lot going on, which is something I have been searching for. Yes more air, but a wonderful togetherness of musicians and vocalists performing as one entity. When things get very loud and complex, I can hear the 250DR struggling a bit, but that is not surprising.

My final impression of how music is portrayed with a 552 at the heart of things is that my favourite artists and their music just sounds right. Not sure if you know what I mean by 'right' but I can't think of a better descriptor. And I think this adds to the relaxing feel, the brain is having to compensate less and doesn't have to fill in so many gaps. A more enjoyable and less fatiguing listening experience.

Boy, can this thing boogie!

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by ken c

congratulations Nigel!! unless you hanker after a Statement pre- the 552 is really end-game, same for me...

and you have arrived at your choice carefully with a home dem, so...

enjoy/ken

Ken, I mean real world end game pre.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Gazza

Congratulations Nigel.....that one is a keeper for sure, which was why I put in my mix....just did not work out for me. Have a catch up at Audio show-east next year to compare notes.

Best Gaz

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski

ouch Nigel - now the beast is awake... why did you have to do this to me? Whyyyyy? 

Gazza, I can't think what the ND555 feeding a 552 must sound like. Even though a home demo of both is free, I simply can't afford it, because I know the outcome!

If you go to the Bristol show in February, we would meet up there.

Adam Zielinski posted:

ouch Nigel - now the beast is awake... why did you have to do this to me? Whyyyyy? 

Adam, you need to get those MA GX 300s in your music room and add a 552, light the touchpaper and stand back!

No need to thank me, my advice is freely given. 

Hope you are well.

N

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Gazza
nigelb posted:

Gazza, I can't think what the ND555 feeding a 552 must sound like. Even though a home demo of both is free, I simply can't afford it, because I know the outcome!

If you go to the Bristol show in February, we would meet up there.

Oh I wish...we are away for the wife’s birthday in Feb, so unlikely. But perhaps we could meet up in other circumstances next year, who knows. Take care and just enjoy the music. I have looked at some other nondr amps and if you are likely to ever sell on, the upgrade seems too expensive. The 552 is perfect for a keeper and the DR upgrade, enjoy the journey.

nigelb posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:

Adam, you need to get those MA GX 300s in your music room and add a 552, light the touchpaper and stand back!

Hope you are well.

N

I’m thinking of pairing it with my NAP300DR and Ovators.... 

But I’m starting to feel like Gollum / Smeagol...

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Bart
Adam Zielinski posted:

We all know how that feels . . . 

I should have the chance in the coming weeks to listen to a variety of Naim separates . . . perhaps a re-do of Nigel's thread as "552 vs. NAP 300"  -- the 552 wouldn't require me to add a Fraim level

Adam Zielinski posted:
nigelb posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:

Hope you are well.

N

It is a well known fact that the 552 goes beautifully with a 300DR. I was just being mischievous about the speakers.

Go on, get yourself a home demo of the 552, but as it has been said before, only if you can afford it. Not sure if pre-loved 552s are available in Poland from dealers. If so, that is a good option and you could trade in your 252/SuperCapDR, as I did. Far less painful financially.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Harry

You think you know something down to every note, then something like a 552 introduces you to it for the first time, despite you listening to it for most of your life. It might sound incongruous, but when you've been there it doesn't seem strange at all.

I wish you big fun with it.

Guys - you are not helping.... arghhhh.... 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by kevin J Carden
Adam Zielinski posted:
nigelb posted:
Adam Zielinski posted:

Hope you are well.

N

...and a 552 is precious indeed. 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by wenger2015

NIGELB

Congratulations on your purchase, and your excellent summary of the 552...

Certainly money well spent....enjoy 

Ps .... myself and Finkfan will be at the Bristol Show....it would be good to meet up

wenger2015 posted:

NIGELB

Ps .... myself and Finkfan will be at the Bristol Show....it would be good to meet up

Yep, we must meet up at Bristol. As I don't plan to wear my Fez, we will have to devise a means of identification!

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by analogmusic
Harry posted:

You think you know something down to every note, then something like a 552 introduces you to it for the first time, despite you listening to it for most of your life. It might sound incongruous, but when you've been there it doesn't seem strange at all.

I wish you big fun with it.

I've heard 552 in a 500 series system many times over the years now, I've never heard this effect at all.

The only time I hear this effect, is from excellent sources.

I've made the transition from being fascinated with Naim amps, to being very much in admiration of good and musical sources.

that's where I would spent my money, on sources.....if I had to do it all over again.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by wenger2015
nigelb posted:
wenger2015 posted:

NIGELB

Yep, we must meet up at Bristol. As I don't plan to wear my Fez, we will have to devise a means of identification!

I’m sure we can think of something....??

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Harry

I well remember the first time I heard a 552/500 at a dealer event. At the time, our dream system which we would probably never attain was the 252/300 with a CDS3.  They were showing a late prototype of the HDX and I was curious, rather than expecting to hear anything spectacular.

The realistic way the 552/500 presented music I thought I knew in what sounded like its proper, natural light, is something I will never forget. It was like time travel. "Oh, so that's how he played it". It was like we were standing in the studio. 

Not that we'd ever own one. But it was nice to hear what proper HiFi sounded like. - which is to say, nothing at all, just the performance.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

I’m sure Nigel (Polar Bear) wont mind me citing this story.  Quite a few years ago on another hifi forum there used to be a lot of anti-Naim rhetoric most of it green eyed envy.  Anyway when Statement was launched someone sarcastically wrote that they were looking forward to a bake-off at PBs!  It so happened that one of the shall we say prominent forum figures who was renowned for his forthright views and colourful language had recently visited PBs lair with his partner and on seeing the post reference Statement replied by saying that “I wish he (PB) would host an event then you bunch of malcontents can hear for yourselves how f——-g awesome it f——-g is.   The hairs on the back of your neck do literally lift!”

Yes, a full 500 configuration properly set-up particularly with a top vinyl front-end is just music on a different level.  In fact I’ve heard Statement now several times - albeit always in show conditions - and as good as it is it just doesn’t do what a 500 does for that engagement and sense of involvement.  Where’s my lottery ticket?!

Regards,

Lindsay

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Harry

The cut off point is different for each of us. A Statement level system is investment money for me. I'd buy property, or something. But each to our own. I used to say that about a 500 system, so never say never.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by analogmusic

I can’t hear this music on a “different level” because of a 552/500 compared to a 252 or a 282 based system

but I hear very clearly what a chord Dave does compared to a Nd555 or an LP12

amps don’t play music, only sources can do that.

and amp only amplifies music....