ND555/252 vs NDS/552, Which Is Best? Only One Way To Find Out - Fight!

Posted by: nigelb on 21 November 2018

I was pretty sure I knew the answer to this one, given all the praise the ND555 has been rightly receiving, and, after all, I have always been a source first bloke. Well it turns out I know nothing!

Thinking it was time to move to the new streaming platform and take advantage of possibly one of the best streamers ever made, I was keen to hear the ND555 at home but, due to the steep incline in costs for future upgrades, any upgrading now will need to be done in stages. That means the ND555 will need to be able to show its capabilities with my current 252DR/250DR and MA GX300 speakers until such time I can pay attention these other components.

There is a problem though. In the back of my mind I remember the praise the 'classic' component in the Naim range, the 552, has received on a continuous basis over the last two decades.  But that would need to work with my current NDS/555DR/250DR/MA GX300s. As luck would have it, my dealer happens to have both a mint pre-loved 552 and one of the first ND555s (so well run in). A plan was forming.

To solve this puzzle my trusty dealer set up two systems for me to listen to. The first - ND555/PS555DR/252/SuperCapDR and the second - NDS/PS555DR/552(non DR), both systems used with a 300DR and Kudos Titan 707s. I would listen to both and decide which I would take home for extended dem, the ND555 or the 552. A forgone conclusion, I thought.

I brought 4 favourite CDs which the dealer ripped and I listened to the system fronted by the ND555 first and waited with bated breath for the fireworks. But there were none. The initial problem I had was that the dealer's listening room was over double the size of mine and was less damped. I was also used to listening 'near field' but was further away from the speakers at the dealers. It took me a while to acclimatise and the system was, I believe, improving over that first hour of listening. No denying the detail and coherence on offer but I felt the whole presentation was a bit on the clinical side. I was a tad dissappointed and checked with the dealer that the ND555 was fully run in, and it was. Might it have been the 252 struggling a bit with the detail it was being asked to process, or was it the unfamiliar listening environment. Not sure, but something wasn't quite right.

So onto the NDS/552 based system. From the first track I could tell this was rather special, although I was still struggling with the brighter, slightly echoey listening room. Again, as this session went on things started to improve, either the equipment settling in or me becoming more in tune with the listening room, or both.

After a further hour of listening, I had decided it was the 552 I wanted to take home for an extended listen. But before it was packed up, the very accommodating dealer married up the ND555 with the 552 and this was when things really took off, even in those unfamiliar acoustic surroundings. It seemed to me that the NDS/552 was less of a compromise than the ND555/252, so off I went with the 552 for home demo.

I have been listening to the 552 in my system for much of today and have been pretty much blown away. I will save all the detailed descriptions for a couple of days when I have had a chance to listen more. But this 552 ain't going nowhere!

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Filipe
nigelb posted:

Phil, I have kept the speakers in exactly the same position with the arrival of the 552. Although they are a large, rear ported design, they are very forgiving and can be used quite close to walls is smaller than average listening rooms (mine is about 3m x 4m). They are well toed in so that the front baffles directly face the listening position.

I asked because of recent posts on this. Feeling Zen has suggested that it can depend on the power amp etc. About 4 weeks ago I removed the toe and the sound then filled the room. I’m very pleased. I’m somewhat of the view now that system synergies (including room) need to be considered. So any change can to some extent affect another part of the system.

Phil

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by nigelb
Filipe posted:
nigelb posted:

Phil, I have kept the speakers in exactly the same position with the arrival of the 552. Although they are a large, rear ported design, they are very forgiving and can be used quite close to walls is smaller than average listening rooms (mine is about 3m x 4m). They are well toed in so that the front baffles directly face the listening position.

I asked because of recent posts on this. Feeling Zen has suggested that it can depend on the power amp etc. About 4 weeks ago I removed the toe and the sound then filled the room. I’m very pleased. I’m somewhat of the view now that system synergies (including room) need to be considered. So any change can to some extent affect another part of the system.

Phil

Yes, and different speaker designs are optimised by different degrees of toe in and distance from side and rear walls. So the only way to optimise a particular speaker with a particular power amp in a particular listening room, is to experiment with positioning and toe in.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by yeti42

Back when I was using Thiels from a 250 I found I could halve the toe in (from 1cm in 22cm to 0.5cm in 22cm, I didn't calculate the angular difference) around the time I put a supercap on the 282. As I was powering the superline from the pre it could have been source or amp that allowed this. They never made it to no toe in however without the depth disappearing. Having moved that system to a much larger room (7m by 6m instead of 3.8m by 4.1m) and back with the hicap on the pre I measured the final speaker positions after fine tuning their location by ear. Side wall distances was much greater but I was back to the earlier toe in and what surprised me even more, their distance to the back wall was identical to that I found in the smaller room.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Filipe
yeti42 posted:

Back when I was using Thiels from a 250 I found I could halve the toe in (from 1cm in 22cm to 0.5cm in 22cm, I didn't calculate the angular difference) around the time I put a supercap on the 282. As I was powering the superline from the pre it could have been source or amp that allowed this. They never made it to no toe in however without the depth disappearing. Having moved that system to a much larger room (7m by 6m instead of 3.8m by 4.1m) and back with the hicap on the pre I measured the final speaker positions after fine tuning their location by ear. Side wall distances was much greater but I was back to the earlier toe in and what surprised me even more, their distance to the back wall was identical to that I found in the smaller room.

Yeti, how do you judge what is best? Phil

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Edouard

"I have been listening to the 552 in my system for much of today and have been pretty much blown away"

As I always said, 552 first, no question!

You made the right choice Nige!

Next step : The 300!

Enjoy,

Regards,

Edouard

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by living in lancs yearning for yorks

Must try me one of those 552s at home!  Although I have heard a few demonstrations of systems with 552 in over the years, I have never heard a comparison with a 52 (what I have) or even a 252. Perhaps worth adding that a local friend has just had his system rebuilt by his dealer (nds/ 555/ 552dr/ 300dr into some big B&W’s with SuperLumina throughout) and he is absolutely over the moon with the improvement

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by yeti42
Filipe posted:
yeti42 posted:

Yeti, how do you judge what is best? Phil

Ok make that best so far. I start, listening from the centre, with both speakers back against the wall and move one forward until it sounds like nearly all the music is coming from that speaker. Using music with a wide range of bass notes I then move it by small increments to try for an even bass. The second speaker is then moved out to match it and there follows a lot of trial and error over an extended period with a variety of music adjusting lateral position. At this stage I’m listening from off centre as there’s two music lovers In my household and I know I can get a wide sweet spot to encompass two arm chairs because I’ve done it before, when that appears I’m nearly there bar a bit of fine tuning of toe in. Straight ahead gives the widest soundstage but a little bit of toe can add to the impression of depth, there’s a balance to be struck. I have Herbies Gliders under the speakers which makes moving them easier but initially I couldn’t get rid of the glare of a sharp piano so set up as best I could regardless of it. Three months with the system off and undisturbed and on our next visit the glare had gone and the system was sounding wonderful. I still don’t know what caused it but tend to think the Gliders needed to settle.

The Thiel CS1.6 needs a bit of wall reinforcement to fill out the upper bass/lower mid region. That first step with one speaker out can find several possible positions to work on but they’re not all equal in how  well they suit, again it’s suck it and see.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by nigelb
living in lancs yearning for yorks posted:

Must try me one of those 552s at home!  Although I have heard a few demonstrations of systems with 552 in over the years, I have never heard a comparison with a 52 (what I have) or even a 252. Perhaps worth adding that a local friend has just had his system rebuilt by his dealer (nds/ 555/ 552dr/ 300dr into some big B&W’s with SuperLumina throughout) and he is absolutely over the moon with the improvement

As I have never heard the 52, although reading about it on here I know it is extremely capable, I have no idea how it would compare to a 552. What I do know is that the 552 moves everything on significantly from my previously cherished 252 in my system at home. But it was only a lengthy home demo where that became clear to me.

The home demo also proved that my NDS/555DR had far more to give in all important SQ areas as well as pure musicality. This demo also showed me just how amazing the 250DR is and that it is capable of revealing just how much the 552 moves things on from a 252.

Looking at your system, as we have the same source and power amp, I would expect that you would hear just how superb the 552 is, although I have admitted I have not heard a 52. But you will need a decent home demo to reveal the wonders of a 552, IMHO.

Oh and make sure you are prepared financially before you demo a 552 at home. Grabbing a pre loved 552, should one come up, like I did, will help.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by living in lancs yearning for yorks

Nigel - my profile is rather out of date - need to log on with a computer as cannot see to change on my phone. I have a pair of (non dr) 300s and snaxo feeding SL2s now which I think are not reflected in the profile. Yes, I need a home dem for a while to find out. This thread has been particularly informative in suggesting the right route to take from where I am but just need to get my own experience in first

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by nigelb

LILYFY (gotta get yourself a snappier forum name or it'll be Lily), with active 300s and SL2s, I'd say even more reason to look at your pre amp. Your active back end (excuse the reference) will sound wonderful with a 552 in control. As you say, you need to hear this for yourself at home.

Good luck.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Dave J
analogmusic posted:
nigelb posted:
analogmusic posted:

Nigel my posts are not written in any effort to challenge your decisions, more to present both sides of the view, source first or preamp first.... One thing for sure we agree that we love our Naim amplifiers, and I can't see myself ever going away from Naim for my amplifiers, but having owned Naim amps for close to a decade now, and knowing how they sound, I'm discovering the world of sources now.... my ears and mind being opened by my recent purchase of audio quest dragonfly red at 200 US dollars, it's truly a superb piece of engineering for a very reasonable amount of money.... and that's where I discovered there is not really a "naim sound", it's the sound of music.... 

but congratulations on the 552 ! The NDS is a world class source, and it is extremely good.

Wow, amazing what USD200 will get you these days, and no power supply needed!

I have found the only true test of anything approaching the ultimate capability of Naim amps, or any component for that matter, is an extended demo at home, assuming you already own suitable accompanying components. I only get hints of what a Naim amp can do at HiFi shows, restricted usually by poor listening rooms and unfamiliar music. Dealer dems can also only tell you so much.

You say you know Naim amplifiers.  I am not trying to be clever here but I am interested to know if you have actually heard a 552 with a competent source/power amp/speakers in your home for an extended period? 

Yes I am fortunate enough to have heard 500 systems hundreds of times in my neighbors home... I guess I am very lucky.

I still maintain what I heard, there are parts of a digital front end to be sorted out first

Server

Streamer

Network Switch

Ethernet cables

DAC

Only when these are optimized then is it worth it for me to look at amplification. I can't hear the NAC552 could possibly add what an Mscaler adds to a Chord Dave...

In Naims own words, if a NAC 552 is better than a 282, it is only because it does less harm to the music. It doesn't and cannot add anything to the source, it can only degrade the source and you are paying more for a NAC 552 to do less damage to the source, but it is very much the same source that you are listening to through a NAC 552 or a NAC 252.

The 282/250DR is good enough for me, and I am seeking excellence in my sources, not in amplification any more.

So that’s a no then?

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by living in lancs yearning for yorks
nigelb posted:

LILYFY (gotta get yourself a snappier forum name or it'll be Lily), with active 300s and SL2s, I'd say even more reason to look at your pre amp. Your active back end (excuse the reference) will sound wonderful with a 552 in control. As you say, you need to hear this for yourself at home.

Good luck.

Maybe I need to put my real name (Tim) in as a signature then. I don’t think being called lily would cause me too much psychological damage - no more than being told I make an excellent ugly sister...

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Good on you Nigel, the 552 is a wonderful preamp. ???????? Enjoy Peter

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by living in lancs yearning for yorks

Home dem of 552 booked for the new year...

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by TomSer

What an abundance of NAC 552 of purchases or demos during this Christmas period ! 

Mine arrives mid-January 

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by analogmusic

Dave J

I took my dynaudio speakers 282 and nap 250 compare against the 552/500

the speakers are the weakest link.

the 282 isn’t as good as the mighty 552, but I’m not at all motivated to improve my amplifiers...

At some point also money runs out and when I really enjoy music on my audioquest dragonfly and Chord mojo... it’s got to be about the music for me.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Drewy
Dave J posted:
analogmusic posted:
nigelb posted:
analogmusic posted:

Nigel my posts are not written in any effort to challenge your decisions, more to present both sides of the view, source first or preamp first.... One thing for sure we agree that we love our Naim amplifiers, and I can't see myself ever going away from Naim for my amplifiers, but having owned Naim amps for close to a decade now, and knowing how they sound, I'm discovering the world of sources now.... my ears and mind being opened by my recent purchase of audio quest dragonfly red at 200 US dollars, it's truly a superb piece of engineering for a very reasonable amount of money.... and that's where I discovered there is not really a "naim sound", it's the sound of music.... 

but congratulations on the 552 ! The NDS is a world class source, and it is extremely good.

Wow, amazing what USD200 will get you these days, and no power supply needed!

I have found the only true test of anything approaching the ultimate capability of Naim amps, or any component for that matter, is an extended demo at home, assuming you already own suitable accompanying components. I only get hints of what a Naim amp can do at HiFi shows, restricted usually by poor listening rooms and unfamiliar music. Dealer dems can also only tell you so much.

You say you know Naim amplifiers.  I am not trying to be clever here but I am interested to know if you have actually heard a 552 with a competent source/power amp/speakers in your home for an extended period? 

Yes I am fortunate enough to have heard 500 systems hundreds of times in my neighbors home... I guess I am very lucky.

I still maintain what I heard, there are parts of a digital front end to be sorted out first

Server

Streamer

Network Switch

Ethernet cables

DAC

Only when these are optimized then is it worth it for me to look at amplification. I can't hear the NAC552 could possibly add what an Mscaler adds to a Chord Dave...

In Naims own words, if a NAC 552 is better than a 282, it is only because it does less harm to the music. It doesn't and cannot add anything to the source, it can only degrade the source and you are paying more for a NAC 552 to do less damage to the source, but it is very much the same source that you are listening to through a NAC 552 or a NAC 252.

The 282/250DR is good enough for me, and I am seeking excellence in my sources, not in amplification any more.

So that’s a no then?

Denial. He’s holding out well. 

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by living in lancs yearning for yorks

Here’s another 552 dem to add to the list. Installed this morning by Geoff of acoustica (in place of my 52/supercap and running with nds/555, 2x300, snaxo into SL2s). Stone cold but how am I meant to ever leave the room?!

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by nigelb

Here’s another 552 dem to add to the list. Installed this morning by Geoff of acoustica (in place of my 52/supercap and running with nds/555, 2x300, snaxo into SL2s). Stone cold but how am I meant to ever leave the room?!

You can’t say you weren’t warned.

Would like to hear more of your impressions of the 552 when it settles in, assuming you can tear yourself away!

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Filipe
nigelb posted:

You can’t say you weren’t warned.

Would like to hear more of your impressions of the 552 when it settles in, assuming you can tear yourself away!

I’ve heard other comments about how good a job of getting your system working with the demo kit your dealer does. Quite refreshing, and worrying for the pocket! I nearly bought a 552 and 555 last year but I wasn’t given the demo opportunity but the discount was very temping. I bought a 252 and 555 instead from my nearby dealer.

I have to say that moving from two to three racks for 8 boxes plus TT with good spacing around certain boxes makes a huge difference. Its just been a matter of applying the advice available on the forum. I am feeling very happy with what I have now, but a 552 demo is awaited. The bad recordings are beginning to have no place to hide now from a 252/300/nDAC  setup!

Phil

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Somewhere in Salisbury you can just about hear... “mwahahaha...”

Phil - interesting stuff.

Geoff spent a good half an hour or so on listening, basic checking and minor tweaks, then replaced the mains block for a wiremold fed by a powerline - that all made quite a difference (including putting the block on a Tupperware box). We checked the sound as we went with a reference track. Then he put the 552 in and away we went. 

The saxophone on Dave Brubeck at Carnegie Hall is sounding so mellifluous (don’t get to use that world often) but the overall thing is the wonderful timing.  Also, the scale has increased and there is more (entirely balanced) bass  now listening to King for a day on that same album and the double bass solo sounds remarkable.

Nigel - I am rather poor at putting sounds into words - I am the same when it comes to describing coffee flavours (my wife is rather good at that but utterly uninterested in the stereo) - but I have made some brief comments above. 

I really didn’t want to like it - much cheaper to do without. But am rather smitten and it hasn’t warmed up yet

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by nigelb

Glad to hear you are enjoying the 552. It should improve over the next few days.

I found it quite enlightening to stick on a couple of albums that I was previously ambivalent about and see what the 552 made of them. Had quite a surprise with some of these.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Filipe

Phil - interesting stuff.

Geoff spent a good half an hour or so on listening, basic checking and minor tweaks, then replaced the mains block for a wiremold fed by a powerline - that all made quite a difference (including putting the block on a Tupperware box). We checked the sound as we went with a reference track. Then he put the 552 in and away we went. 

The saxophone on Dave Brubeck at Carnegie Hall is sounding so mellifluous (don’t get to use that world often) but the overall thing is the wonderful timing.  Also, the scale has increased and there is more (entirely balanced) bass  now listening to King for a day on that same album and the double bass solo sounds remarkable.

Nigel - I am rather poor at putting sounds into words - I am the same when it comes to describing coffee flavours (my wife is rather good at that but utterly uninterested in the stereo) - but I have made some brief comments above. 

I really didn’t want to like it - much cheaper to do without. But am rather smitten and it hasn’t warmed up yet

Lilyfy (excuse the acronym!) the setting up of the boxes can be very frustrating. It good to hear your experience with the 552 and the dealer. I’ve been preparing for my demo by getting my system working the best it can. You have an impressive setup.

Phil

Now that is an interesting comment, Nigel.  I have a jazz cd by Torsten Goods (love comes to town) and it is so smooth and slick that it is a bit dull. Quite like it every now and again - but it has a new sound with the 552.  Diana Krall also more interesting.  Not sure it will work on Pantatonix

Tim