Roon.... brilliant

Posted by: Granthar on 19 December 2018

I have just put Roon in, have to say this is amazing, why has no one else done this.

I have already listened to music I had forgotten I had. Have it linked to an Atom, Muso QB and a Sonus Play 1 (couldn’t justify the cost of another QB for the kitchen)

Its a shame that it can’t be used to store lists of your music such as a listing of your music you have on other mediums I.e. vinyl. Obviously not to play but just to have the info about an album would be great.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by GregU
Zipperheadbanjo posted:
Docv posted:

Roon makes my music more accessible: using it regularly leads on to enjoyable discoveries. Probably my only disappointment is it’s unsophisticated approach to internet radio: fortunately the Naim app is excellent in this regard.

Completely agree with the above. The other Roon weakness is how it handles really really large collections (box sets) from individual artists. I have a massive amount of live Grateful Dead... some of the live releases encapsulate 50-80 CD's. Roon doesn't know what to do with that stuff... so when I want to listen to my GD... I generally go into the Naim app. 

Love Roon in all other respects.

An 80 CD live Grateful Dead CD.  One time I lived with a kidney stone for 2 weeks.  This sounds worse.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by GraemeH
GregU posted:
Zipperheadbanjo posted:
Docv posted:

Roon makes my music more accessible: using it regularly leads on to enjoyable discoveries. Probably my only disappointment is it’s unsophisticated approach to internet radio: fortunately the Naim app is excellent in this regard.

Completely agree with the above. The other Roon weakness is how it handles really really large collections (box sets) from individual artists. I have a massive amount of live Grateful Dead... some of the live releases encapsulate 50-80 CD's. Roon doesn't know what to do with that stuff... so when I want to listen to my GD... I generally go into the Naim app. 

An 80 CD live Grateful Dead CD.  One time I lived with a kidney stone for 2 weeks.  This sounds worse.

Shorter lived anyway.

G

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Bart
Jan-Erik Nordoen posted:
Bart posted:
Biggest disadvantage:  Cannot control volume from within Roon on either of my systems (ND555/252 or Allo DigiOne to Qute2).  So now I'm using Naim remotes again, rather than from within the Naim app.

Hi Bart, can you not set Device Volume for either of your Roon endpoints, as shown below ?

The pull-down menu for my ND555 says it's on "Device Volume" but when I click on the NDS in the now-playing screen it says "Device Volume is Fixed."

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Bart

The Uniti series supports direct volume control -- I'm pretty sure that the ND-series of players does not.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Flo-TLSC

That's what you get when you buy Cheap Shite. With my Atom, together with Roon it works fine.

While I am here and have bought a one year subscription, I think the DSP function of Roon is very useful. I use it when we are listening on low volume. Listening to the radio for instance. Raising the lower frequencies a wee bit while at low volume makes the Atom and PMC’s sound a lot better. I still have to get used to Roon’s gui tho. But I am at sea again for four weeks just now so…..

Merry X-mass everybody and all the best for 2019. Have a good one !!  

Flo

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by OuYang

Many Roon users including me also used UPnP based solution for a long time. Both of them are not perfect but all work well.

I like the integration of online stream service and local music storage and use it everyday. After Apple announce Apple Music, iTunes also have similar integration between Apple Music and iTunes local library.

I also like the DSP functions integrated in Roon's signal path. It is handy when you want to tune or test something.

The best thing is many new streamers like Naim and other brands support both UPnP and Roon, you always have choices.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by SimonPeterArnold
Innocent Bystander posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

So I wonder what market Roon is aiming at???

Those into social media like Facebook, was my impression. (And if that group, particularly those who want mainly Tidal, or seemless  integration of Tidal with their own collection.

Never heard such utter tosh. I don't do social media at all. I like music and it helps me manage it and discover more than anhy other software I have used and its easy to use and works. 

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander
SimonPeterArnold posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Those into social media like Facebook, was my impression. (And if that group, particularly those who want mainly Tidal, or seemless  integration of Tidal with their own collection.

Never heard such utter tosh. I don't do social media at all. I like music and it helps me manage it and discover more than anhy other software I have used and its easy to use and works. 

I didn’t say it only appealed to such people, but suggested that it seemed to be aimed at them, the impression I have from its interface. Clearly it works for you and you like it, likewise numbers of other people - which is great: clearly Roon designers have hit on a formula that has a ready market, and users such as you have found a solution that does it for you. At the same time it simply does not do it for others. I like music and it didn’t make my playing of music any easier or better - if it had I may have tried living with its annoyances.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Bart

I didn’t say it only appealed to such people, but suggested that it seemed to be aimed at them, the impression I have from its interface. 

I don't see or get the correlation either . . . but "whatever."

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by SimonPeterArnold
SimonPeterArnold posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

I didn’t say it only appealed to such people, but suggested that it seemed to be aimed at them, the impression I have from its interface. Clearly it works for you and you like it, likewise numbers of other people - which is great: clearly Roon designers have hit on a formula that has a ready market, and users such as you have found a solution that does it for you. At the same time it simply does not do it for others. I like music and it didn’t make my playing of music any easier or better - if it had I may have tried living with its annoyances.

We can agree to disagree. Roon is not for everyone something I have said quite a few times.  To me it was a refreshing change from everything else and I have tried most of them and non are  perfect. It's a developingplatform which to me makes it look the more exciting as they bring more functionality and features and a company that activley listens and engages with its users all the time from the top down.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

You make me wish I liked it! 

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by fzman
GregU posted:
Zipperheadbanjo posted:
Docv posted:

I suppose it depends which song it is.......

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by fzman

Roon is multi-brand, multi-room and offers lots of information about your music, as well as seemlessly integrating stored content with, e.g., Tidal favorites, and sounds very good.  I was suspect at first, but then one day, I was curious who the drummer was on a Christian Scott album called "Rewind That".  Not only did it tell me, but found his presence on several other titles I already had in my collection.  How f-ing cookl is that.

Hate away-you are welcome to be wrong.   lol   Happy Holidays and best of luck for the coming year.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Echolane

I am on my third day of trialing Roon and so far it has been a disaster.

1. My meticulously massaged metadata is worthless in Roon because it cannot read the WAV format metadata created and stored by Naim Uniti Core.

2.  There is  no feature within Naim Uniti Core to convert to FLAC.  I would have to rerip all 600 of my CDs in some non-Naim way and re-edit them.

3.  As a wannabe audiophile I don’t believe compressed FLAC sounds as good as lossless WAV anyway, though that is apparently debatable, so regardless  I don’t like that option all that much.

3.  I was very unhappy with the way Roon converted my files in an earlier trial so I feel really stuck.  Not happy that Naim is not transferable.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Iver van de Zand

Hi Echolane,

Are you sure? There is no need to convert to Flac; Roon handles Wav perfectly well. Also you mention that Roon converts files; I am sure Roon does not tuch any of your files. The only thing it builds, is a library based upon your music collection.

cheers

iver

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Guinnless

I thought the Core could convert all the rips to FLAC and encode the metadata?? I'm sure a few on here have done it.

Iver van de Zand posted:

Hi Echolane,

Are you sure? There is no need to convert to Flac; Roon handles Wav perfectly well. Also you mention that Roon converts files; I am sure Roon does not tuch any of your files. The only thing it builds, is a library based upon your music collection.

cheers

iver

Roon makes a mess of my albums when using its metadata sources or algorithms.  It gets a lot of cover art wrong and cover art is how I quickly recognize my albums and what I want to play.  It handles my many multi album sets poorly.  It classifies a lot of my albums as “unknown” when only two of my albums are classified as unknown by Naim.  So I was counting on using my own well crafted metadata.  Roon allows the user to choose which metadata source to use in many categories such as Artist or Title or Cover Art.

Guinnless posted:

I thought the Core could convert all the rips to FLAC and encode the metadata?? I'm sure a few on here have done it.

Nope.  There is no feature in the Naim app for the Uniti Core to convert to FLAC.  Apparently it is possible in some other Naim product, though I don’t know which one.  But not in the Uniti Core.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Echolane posted:
Guinnless posted:

Nope.  There is no feature in the Naim app for the Uniti Core to convert to FLAC.  Apparently it is possible in some other Naim product, though I don’t know which one.  But not in the Uniti Core.

As per my post in your other thread, this was possible with the old Naim servers (Unitiserve, HDX etc.) but for some reason, not the Core. 

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Sloop John B

If you have correctly  set up Roon to use your metadata any art that Naim shows Roon will also show. 

Go to settings -> Library -> import settings and set whichever metadata tags you wish to “prefer file”. This will give you all the metadata that Naim uses. 

Roon will reanalyse your files to use this metadata. Roon does not change your files or metadata in any way. 

Let us know how you get on. Roon really is worth spending a little time with.

.sjb

Sloop John B posted:

If you have correctly  set up Roon to use your metadata any art that Naim shows Roon will also show. 

Go to settings -> Library -> import settings and set whichever metadata tags you wish to “prefer file”. This will give you all the metadata that Naim uses. 

Roon will reanalyse your files to use this metadata. Roon does not change your files or metadata in any way. 

Let us know how you get on. Roon really is worth spending a little time with.

.sjb

I had a brief trial with Roon some months ago and let Roon choose all the metadata.  I wasn’t happy with the results as I indicated above in more detail.

I am trying again with Roon after naively massaging my metadata so I’d get a better result.   I set the appropriate flags in Roon to use my Artist info, Title info, Track Info and Cover Art.  It did a good job with Cover Art (something it did very poorly on my first trial), but couldn’t use track info at all, nor my carefully crafted title and artist info.  Because it can’t read Naim’s metadata.

I'm in process of converting to use all Roon metadata except in one case,  to use my cover art. BUT 24 hours later it has processed 167 files of almost 7000.  Something is clearly wrong.  Roon is proving very difficult for me!  I need to find a way to start over.  Or give up ????

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Bart

I put version info into the Album title tag (so I can tell the difference between a rip of an MFSL disc and an HDTracks download, for example), so I tell Roon to use my Album title metadata, and the rest is its metadata.  For genre, I'm pretty sure I let it use both its and mine.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Sloop John B

[@mention:75483719105391483]

In Settings-> Library - make sure the background analysis speed is set to the highest level possible. I think this defaults to throttled so not to hamper playback but if I’m doing anything major like you are I use the maximum number of cores. 

.sjb

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by SimonPeterArnold

Roon won't read the metadata for the current library as it's not accessible to Roon due to Naims proprietary metadata storing. Wavs cant hold the level of metadata required to pull the right information so Roon will make a best guess based on its web metadata sources, which are not that great for classical then again whos are. Why does Naim choose to use such a system that is not interoperable with anything else is mystifying in itself.

There really  is no need to rip to Wav, flac is lossless think of it as a music zip file and it allows metadata to be contained with the files. If you think your streamer  sounds better using  wav  the this can be changed back by most  upnp servers before it gets sentnand this is lossless process. Roon does this as standard it only sends out PCM to its endpoints. You cant  compare flac to MP3 at all.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by jlarsson

Initially I liked Roon but I have now worked it out of my system. I had a fanless-PC running RoonOS/Roon Rocks (in practice an optimized linux-kernel with a Roon Server).

I had so much classical (especially contemporary classical) that I can only access as s/h CD and there is no automatic metadata-support (smaller classical publishers cant survive in a streaming business so these releases were never entered).

And then there is the subscription model. Roon calls home every 30th day, checks your license and reports which lyrics you have been looking at and so on. If internet is unavailable Or you havent paid up) you will be logged out. I have been trying to find out exactly what happens but this is currently not specified in any detail. I hate when the lincence and privacy is not clearly specified.

So I’ve now removed the Roon ROCK computer. I simply enjoy an old-fashioned album-based paradigm.