Roon.... brilliant

Posted by: Granthar on 19 December 2018

I have just put Roon in, have to say this is amazing, why has no one else done this.

I have already listened to music I had forgotten I had. Have it linked to an Atom, Muso QB and a Sonus Play 1 (couldn’t justify the cost of another QB for the kitchen)

Its a shame that it can’t be used to store lists of your music such as a listing of your music you have on other mediums I.e. vinyl. Obviously not to play but just to have the info about an album would be great.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by David O'Higgins
jlarsson posted:

Initially I liked Roon but I have now worked it out of my system. I had a fanless-PC running RoonOS/Roon Rocks (in practice an optimized linux-kernel with a Roon Server).

I had so much classical (especially contemporary classical) that I can only access as s/h CD and there is no automatic metadata-support (smaller classical publishers cant survive in a streaming business so these releases were never entered).

And then there is the subscription model. Roon calls home every 30th day, checks your license and reports which lyrics you have been looking at and so on. If internet is unavailable Or you havent paid up) you will be logged out. I have been trying to find out exactly what happens but this is currently not specified in any detail. I hate when the lincence and privacy is not clearly specified.

So I’ve now removed the Roon ROCK computer. I simply enjoy an old-fashioned album-based paradigm.

The mind boggles! Can you expand a bit on this surveillance? Also, what would be wrong about being logged out if you haven’t paid?

More generally, all this metatdata obsession leaves me amused. In the LP/CD days,we had to rely totally on our own memories to curate our collection. Roon, although not perfect (is anything?)  is a massive advance on that era, especially to those of us of ‘advancing years’. 

Instead of the gripes, can someone suggest a better available interface to a music collection?  As fast? As easy to navigate? As good at random play? As good at updating itself? 

I am baffled at those who obsess about having to swipe sideways (for certain features) as opposed to downward. Maybe one of those ‘sideways challenged’ can suggest a similarly features-rich interface which never swipes sideways?

Happy New Year to all!

David

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander
David O'Higgins posted: 

The mind boggles! Can you expand a bit on this surveillance? Also, what would be wrong about being logged out if you haven’t paid?

More generally, all this metatdata obsession leaves me amused. In the LP/CD days,we had to rely totally on our own memories to curate our collection. Roon, although not perfect (is anything?)  is a massive advance on that era, especially to those of us of ‘advancing years’. 

Instead of the gripes, can someone suggest a better available interface to a music collection?  As fast? As easy to navigate? As good at random play? As good at updating itself? 

I think the thing is that amongst all of those who listen to streamed music, whether from one’s own store, from a remote service provider, or both,  there are a variety of needs, desires and expectations, built partly on personal preference - which may be born of habit - and, with one’s own music, very much dependant on what metadata the music files have embedded in them. So what is a perfect solution for one person, simply may be a complete frustration to another - and the value of a thread like this is where people can express just what it is they find good or bad, which can help others decide if it might suit them. For those with suitable gear there is the beneficial opportunity to have a free trial, which is the simplest and best way to evaluate, however for others there would need to be a change or addition of gear, and anything that helps them decide opif it sounds worth persuing further is of course of value.

Your very request for people to suggest better alternatives highlights the personal nature of requirements: my first reaction having been who on earth wants “random play”? I can’t suggest anything that is better in respect of the other requirements you specify - but compared to what I use at present (Audirvana) Roon isn’t better - they both have significant limitations,  but Roon comes at a greater cost and with features that I found annoying (though they clearly suit others), while to me the primary function of Audirvana’s as as a renderer, at which it exces in terms of sound quality. I think if you are thinking purely as library management / interface software there is quite a variety out there, so maybe others might be able to suggest ones that do the things you mention better than Roon, or maybe as well as for less cost. As for other features of Roon, of course if they precisely fit your desires then Roon may be perfectvfor you.

Regarding your bemusement with metadata, that highlights the biggest issue I have found: my music is filed exactly as I used to file physical  LPs and CDs. Always easy to find or browse. So simple to set up whenever anything new is added.  All I want out of library software is to be able to browse using my file structure - something Roon cannot do, it insisting on good metadata, and struggling where that does not exist (and Audirvana is the same). Why, oh why, can’t tgese software writers include browsing by file structure as an option?

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by David O'Higgins

Innocent bystander,

I find random play a great way of reminding me of music I may have forgotten I own. 

I had a look at the Audirvana website with a view to trying it. It appears that one has to run it on a PC or Mac attached to the network albeit the music can reside on a NAS?

I have to admire your system for physically filing your CD’s and LP’s, whatever it is. Personally, I ran out of space long before the streaming era, and I have media scattered all over the house. No hope of orderly filing.

David

AAaDavid O'Higgins posted:

Innocent bystander,

I find random play a great way of reminding me of music I may have forgotten I own. 

I had a look at the Audirvana website with a view to trying it. It appears that one has to run it on a PC or Mac attached to the network albeit the music can reside on a NAS?

I have to admire your system for physically filing your CD’s and LP’s, whatever it is. Personally, I ran out of space long before the streaming era, and I have media scattered all over the house. No hope of orderly filing.

David

Provided random play can play as albums not just tracks I can see that as a potential use, though personally I like to pick music to suit my mood.

My mention of Audirvana was not suggesting you try it, rather I was simply comparing Roon with what I use - however Audirvana has a free trial facility so is easy to try, though that is only using direct computer control: a control app is available for smartphone or tablet use, but last I was aware is not included in the free trial.

Audirvana has two implementations, one as a renderer, feeding direct to a DAC from the computer it is on, and the other as a UPnP server just like any other, simply using it as library software. In the latter mode it competes with any number of UPnP servers, and is only worthwhile either if you happen to prefer its approach to library handling, or if you want use its MQA capability while feeding some other renderer.(e.g. a Naim streamer). I have no experience of this usage, only of it as a renderer, with inbuilt library handling. In that mode how it is set up on the computer and what is in place to stop the inevitable RF from the computer adversely affecting the DAC are crucial for sound quality, and a simple Mac setup like a dedicated Mac Mini excels because Audirvana is designed to be able to bypass the Mac’s own sound drivers and dedicate a USB bus, while the MM if fitted with SSDs is a silent device (having no experience of the PC version I can’t comment on that). And yes, you’re right, the music can be on a networked store - however to me there is benefit in having the store in the computer so that nothing is streaming across a network when music is playing, so no concerns about possible network effects.

With physical filing, I had only just under 500 each of LPs and CDs, and simply ordered across different shelves by main genre, then playing artist albums then in release date order or for classical composer then primary work name.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Bart

Random play -- Roon users have two choices -- (1) Yes and (2) No.

If you like it, great; use it.

If you don't like it, great; don't use it.

Thus, in my mind, if one doesn't like it, why does it "infect" the rest of the feature set in said one's mind?

Bart posted:

Random play -- Roon users have two choices -- (1) Yes and (2) No.

If you like it, great; use it.

If you don't like it, great; don't use it.

Thus, in my mind, if one doesn't like it, why does it "infect" the rest of the feature set in said one's mind?

It depends what you’re talking about - if its a feature you don’t use, and that doesn’t get in the way of anything, say like random play, then it doesn’t “infect” as you put it, and I don’t think anyone has suggested it does. But if it is a feature of the interface that is ever present or thrust at you, like cluttering the interface, or continually suggesting things in which  you haven't the slightest interest, making the intereface irritating, then the converse is true and it can “infect” it, and would only be overcome if any unique benefits of the software outweigh its irritations.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Echolane

I’m not sure I will add much to this thread with my reply, but I will comment anyway.

i am finding that setting Roon up is very complicated.  Something I’ve been at for DAYS!  To be fair, my requirements are complicated and they are not all related to Roon.

While Roon documentation is extensive, it’s not easy to understand without plenty of background.  But besides, I am not readily finding answers there to my particular issues.  

To solve the problems I am encountering, I need expertise in the areas of Windows networking, Router settings, firewall settings, SongKong settings, all sorts of initialization issues with Roon, some involving the extra complications of setting it up for four separate audio rooms.  And then there are several problems within each of those areas to chip away at.  I’ve been at least semi-techie most of my life, but this streaming world keeps getting the best of me.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Bart
Echolane posted:

I’m not sure I will add much to this thread with my reply, but I will comment anyway.

i am finding that setting Roon up is very complicated.  Something I’ve been at for DAYS!  To be fair, my requirements are complicated and they are not all related to Roon.

While Roon documentation is extensive, it’s not easy to understand without plenty of background.  But besides, I am not readily finding answers there to my particular issues.  

To solve the problems I am encountering, I need expertise in the areas of Windows networking, Router settings, firewall settings, SongKong settings, all sorts of initialization issues with Roon, some involving the extra complications of setting it up for four separate audio rooms.  And then there are several problems within each of those areas to chip away at.  I’ve been at least semi-techie most of my life, but this streaming world keeps getting the best of me.

Interesting -- I found it quite "plug and play" simple.  It behaves beautifully with my hardware, including my Roon-ready ND 555 and my Allo Digi-One that's connected to my UnitiQute.  Roon server ("core") ran perfectly well on my Macbook (my trial) and now a Roon Rock (Intel NUC).

You must be trying something pretty complicated!

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Iver van de Zand
Echolane posted:

What Roon type are you using? Do you use Rock on a dedicated NUC? The questions I had were pretty well answered through the Roon forum

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Sloop John B

There is the old chessnut, a tourist asking how to get to Killarney and the response, well I wouldn’t start here..........

[@mention:75483719105391483] I think your main issue is you started with a Naim core which appears to be very restrictive if you want to move even slightly outside the full month naim ecosystem. 

[@mention:41551091830475636], I think it is the “radio” rather than “random” feature in Roon you are talking about and you must have missed the on / off switch for it as once turned off - it’s not there (but it is turned on by default). It I’ll only pester you when it’s activated. I fully appreciate Roon is not for everyone and all information is useful to prospective trialers, but your description of your experience and apparent distaste for all things Roon seems a bit over the top at times. 

.sjb

Interesting -- I found it quite "plug and play" simple.  It behaves beautifully with my hardware, including my Roon-ready ND 555 and my Allo Digi-One that's connected to my UnitiQute.  Roon server ("core") ran perfectly well on my Macbook (my trial) and now a Roon Rock (Intel NUC).

You must be trying something pretty complicated!

Maybe my situation is somewhat complicated, but it still should be easy.  I have the Roon Server on a Sonic Transporter.  It is headless, fanless, so I use Roon software in my Windows 7 core i7 Desktop.  That part should certainly be straightforward.  But Roon can’t seem to locate the Sonic Transporter.  It’s on the same network as everything else, including the Naim UNiti Core.   The router, a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, has four Ethernet ports and is the only router/network in the household and everything is Ethernet connected to it.   The Uniti Core and the Sonic Transporter are in my living room sitting side by side connected to the same Netgear Ethernet Switch.  The Uniti Core works just fine, playing music beautifully.  The Sonic Transporter > Roon endpoint >  DAC is Mute.

I have three other audio systems.  The Roon endpoint for the TV system Is an Oppo UDP-205. Roon recognizes it.  But it won’t play music to it.

The other two are stereo systems attached to Windows computers.  It won’t play at the main Windows Computer where Roon Core is located.  I haven’t downloaded a Roon bridge to the second Windows system yet.

The other complication is with my music.  All my music is in the form of complete albums.   Roon doesn't present my albums in the way I want to look for my music.  I had it organized PERFECTLY in Naim.  Everything properly identified.  Everything with the correct cover art.  Everything titled in a standard way. All artists listed separated by a semi-colon delimiter.   All but 3 or 4 albums have complete  track information.  Roon  got roughly  25% of my cover art wrong adding to the difficulty of scrolling through my music.  It has very little track information.    It scrolls horizontally which I find incredibly slow.

I am working on getting Roon to use my metadata, but I’ve learned the hard way that Roon can’t use Naim metadata. I’ve been lucky because just one person on the Naim forum was able to steer me to SongKong, the only software that’s able to decode the proprietary method of storing metadata that Naim uses.  I’m struggling still to get that going.  When I do, Roon will be forced to use my metadata for Title, Artist, Cover Art and Tracks.  If so, I’ll hopefully be able to find my music better and be happier using Roon.

But meanwhile, there is no music at all anywhere.  Back to troubleshooting.

Janet

Sloop John B posted:

[@mention:41551091830475636], I think it is the “radio” rather than “random” feature in Roon you are talking about and you must have missed the on / off switch for it as once turned off - it’s not there (but it is turned on by default). It I’ll only pester you when it’s activated. I fully appreciate Roon is not for everyone and all information is useful to prospective trialers, but your description of your experience and apparent distaste for all things Roon seems a bit over the top at times. 

For clarity I do not have a distaste for all things Roon, just for its social-media-like feel and the ever-present Tidal, against which it had nothing beneficial to offer for the money - in particular not coping any better with poor/missing metadata, which is the one gripe I have with what I currently use. If it did I might have persevered and found how to switch irritating things off if that is possible as you suggest, and then assessed sound quality as a renderer. If I have made my experience sound worse than that it has not been my intention.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Sloop John B

[@mention:75483719105391483] I realise you are asking on the Roon forum as well and this is the best place for sonic transporter issues. But just to try some help here  

1. what products (PC,phone iPad sonic transporter etc. ) have you installed Roon on, please list all. 
  2. When you say Roon sees your Oppo what exactly do you mean?

I suspect you may be running a Roon core on your Windows 7 machine. When you open the Roon app What is showing up here in settings as the core? And what is showing up in the audio settings under the 3 heading I’ve circled?

C1C977E3-7F14-4448-A274-60337EA18C85EBB86526-02A4-4707-8900-7FCFEA4D6B63.sjb

1.  Roon installed: 

A.  Windows 7 Desktop  Router is here (Netgear Nighthawk R7000)

B.  Sonic Transporter @ Living Room audio system.  Sits physically right next to Naim Uniti Core, both connected to Ethernet cables from Netgear  Nighthawk R7000 Router.  Naim and Sonic Transporter digital signals are routed to Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC and DMP-1 Roon endpoint.   Naim Uniti Core working perfectly via Coax-1 connection; Sonic Transporter uses I2S connection.   Netgear Ethernet Splitter located here.

C.  Oppo UDP-205 is Roon endpoint for TV System.  Netgear Ethernet Splitter located here.

D.  Windows 7 Desktop.  WiFi only so far.  Roon  Bridge not yet installed.

2.  Roon Network Screen lists  OPPO but not Sonic Transporter.

Settings General shows Windows Desktop not Sonic Transporter as Core, but detaching Desktop does not result in identifying Sonic Transporter.

Settings Audio

System Output       Zone Name = Systems Output*

ASUS Sound Card  Zone Name = Chuck’s Computer

ASUS Sound Card   Zone Name = Jan’s Computer

Intel(R) Audio Display  Zone Name = unnamed*

NETWORKED

Roon ready 

Audio Alchemy DMP-1   Zone Name = Living Room

OPPO UDP-205                Zone Name = TV Room

* I have no idea what these two items mean.

That’s about it.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Sloop John B

From from your post the sonic transporter is not your core the windows machine is. 

The sonic transporter is accessed by a web interface. Typing www.sonicorbiter.com into a browser on the same network should bring it up. This should give you the option on”manage” your sonic transporter, do you get this option using your main win 7 machine you are using as Roon Remote?

.sjb

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Stephen_C

I have been a Roon cynic for very many months—ever since first getting my Uniti Nova and reading a few somewhat evangelical posts on these forums about Roon. I was sufficiently averse to the idea of trying it that I never made use of the Naim/Nova offer of an ()extended?) free trial.

For some reason, over Christmas I succumbed, downloaded and installed it. My system is simple: NAS connected to Nova by Ethernet. Installation of Roon was thus equally simple—and it "just worked". I should say I don't use Tidal or any other streaming service. All my music is in the form of ripped CDs and downloads (some hi res, some not) and it's pretty much all classical. Even given that Roon is by no means perfect with classical music it didn't take too much wrangling to get it to list all my albums in composer order (mainly because I'd always edited the album title in the format <composer surname>: <work>.

In summary, I really like Roon. It's much easier to use than the Naim app (I run the Roon controller from my MacBook Pro and my iPad and the core on the NAS) and it's a real pleasure to have a controller on the MacBook Pro (which I use much of the time). The sound quality seems very good (I've not yet done direct comparisons with the Naim app). I'm not too concerned about being sidetracked into investigating other albums recommended by Roon but it's good to have access to the pdf notes direct from the app. I liked Roon sufficiently to take the rather brave step, only a day or so after installing it, of buying a lifetime licence.

I entirely understand that Roon is not for everyone—but it was good for me.

Stephen

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by m.paul taylor

I have just subscribed to Roon. What I have seen so far makes me wish I had done so before (I was waiting for Qobuz).

One technical request, though.  I use an ND 555. On the device set up for Roon there is a selection for MQA capabilities. It is set at present to "No MQA Support". The other options are [1] decoder and renderer, [2] decoder only and [3] renderer only. Which one am I meant to select?

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by SimonPeterArnold

[@mention:75483719105391483]

Is there any reason why you are runnig Roon core on the pc instead of  sonicTransporter as it's designed to be a roon server and is likely that best place to run Roon core from.  That said have you activated Roon on the sonic transporter as it does not run automatically I think you need to enable it in the UI. I would also check that the IP address of the transporter is in the same range as all you other endpoints and Roon core. For Roon to detect any endpoint it needs to be in the same IP range as the Roon core e.g. core is 192.168.1.2 endpoint is 192.168.1.3.  

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by SimonPeterArnold
m.paul taylor posted:

I have just subscribed to Roon. What I have seen so far makes me wish I had done so before (I was waiting for Qobuz).

One technical request, though.  I use an ND 555. On the device set up for Roon there is a selection for MQA capabilities. It is set at present to "No MQA Support". The other options are [1] decoder and renderer, [2] decoder only and [3] renderer only. Which one am I meant to select?

No MQA support as it does not have any. Roon core will still perform the first stage unfold to max of 96/24 but you won't get any further without an MQA DAC.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by m.paul taylor

Thank you SIMON PETER ARNOLD

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Echolane
Sloop John B posted:

From from your post the sonic transporter is not your core the windows machine is. 

The sonic transporter is accessed by a web interface. Typing www.sonicorbiter.com into a browser on the same network should bring it up. This should give you the option on”manage” your sonic transporter, do you get this option using your main win 7 machine you are using as Roon Remote?

.sjb

I do know the Core should be the Sonic Transporter.  However, when I would disconnect the Computer from Roon Core the system would hang because Roon couldn’t find the Sonic Transporter.  I tried that numerous times.   I had a tech on my computer today and was told Roon was hung.  So now I was finally able to disconnect Roon Core from my computer and point Roon to the Sonic Transporter.   I had to decline to use the Computer as a second Roon input and after I went through a few steps  I got music playing simultaneously in both my living room and TV room systems!!  It actually sounds great.

I will still have to debug the reason why I am getting no music at my computer.  I can not get any sound there out of YouTube either.  I have had repeated difficulties keeping the ASUS sound Card going there.  Twice I’ve sent it to ASUS only to be told nothing is wrong.   I’ve had it with that sound card.  I am currently shopping for an external DAC, though I have no idea what I am doing yet.

At least Roon is finally playing music in half my systems as it is supposed to do and I am grateful for that.

I have only briefly viewed my music albums but it’s enough to say I am more determined than ever to try to override Roon’s metadata.  Roon doesn’t present my music in a way that is natural to me, which is alphabetical.  Alphabetical  had some  problems in Naim, too, but editing solved that for me.  All album titles with a composer are now in the same format (Puccini: Madame Butterfly).  This means that presenting by Album Title in Naim  works  perfectly for every album with a composer, which is the majority of my music.  

Roon makes a mess of Title.  Sometimes it’s Title.  Sometimes it’s Composer + Title, sometimes it’s Composer First Name, Last Name + Title.  

It also fails to find a lot of my track information that Naim was able to find.

Roon has a lot of my cover art wrong.  That makes it even harder to find an album.

Sometimes it groups multi disc albums correctly.  When it doesn’t, sometimes the 2nd disk is next and other times I’ve no idea where it Or they are.

Roon also offers a sort by Artist instead of Title, but that comes out way worse than title for me.  It has several other sort options but they are all by date.   Why would anyone want music presented by date?  How would you every find most of your music?

I think I can get SongKong to work tomorrow and will hopefully soon see if I can force Roon Into to a format I like better.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Sloop John B

I’m glad you’ve got your sonic transporter playing music through Roon to at least half of your endpoints.  I know from the Roon forum that a lot of users have difficulty with classical (mainly down to poor metadata from metadata providers) hopefully you can get Song Kong to help you here.  

Onwards and upwards!

.sjb

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Echolane
Sloop John B posted:

I’m glad you’ve got your sonic transporter playing music through Roon to at least half of your endpoints.  I know from the Roon forum that a lot of users have difficulty with classical (mainly down to poor metadata from metadata providers) hopefully you can get Song Kong to help you here.  

Onwards and upwards!

.sjb

Thanks for the encouragement!!  I am really counting on SongKong.  I’m not sure I will want to keep Roon if SongKong doesn’t come through for me.

I've got another issue with Roon that concerns me too.  It keeps quitting on me and jumping to the next track.  It seems to do it consistently on Track 1, jumping after just a few seconds of play to Track 2.  Then it will play for awhile and quit on a track and jump to the next one.  Sometimes it’ll even jump to the next album, even though I haven’t identified a next album (I haven’t learned to do playlists yet).  Not sure why so many problems manage to find me!

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Bart
Echolane posted:
Sloop John B posted:

.sjb

I do know the Core should be the Sonic Transporter.  However, when I would disconnect the Computer from Roon Core the system would hang because Roon couldn’t find the Sonic Transporter.  I tried that numerous times.   I had a tech on my computer today and was told Roon was hung.  So now I was finally able to disconnect Roon Core from my computer and point Roon to the Sonic Transporter.   I had to decline to use the Computer as a second Roon input and after I went through a few steps  I got music playing simultaneously in both my living room and TV room systems!!  It actually sounds great.

I will still have to debug the reason why I am getting no music at my computer.  I can not get any sound there out of YouTube either.  I have had repeated difficulties keeping the ASUS sound Card going there.  Twice I’ve sent it to ASUS only to be told nothing is wrong.   I’ve had it with that sound card.  I am currently shopping for an external DAC, though I have no idea what I am doing yet.

At least Roon is finally playing music in half my systems as it is supposed to do and I am grateful for that.

I have only briefly viewed my music albums but it’s enough to say I am more determined than ever to try to override Roon’s metadata.  Roon doesn’t present my music in a way that is natural to me, which is alphabetical.  Alphabetical  had some  problems in Naim, too, but editing solved that for me.  All album titles with a composer are now in the same format (Puccini: Madame Butterfly).  This means that presenting by Album Title in Naim  works  perfectly for every album with a composer, which is the majority of my music.  

Roon makes a mess of Title.  Sometimes it’s Title.  Sometimes it’s Composer + Title, sometimes it’s Composer First Name, Last Name + Title.  

Roon has a lot of my cover art wrong.  That makes it even harder to find an album.

Sometimes it groups multi disc albums correctly.  When it doesn’t, sometimes the 2nd disk is next and other times I’ve no idea where it Or they are.

Roon also offers a sort by Artist instead of Title, but that comes out way worse than title for me.  It has several other sort options but they are all by date.   Why would anyone want music presented by date?  How would you every find most of your music?

I think I can get SongKong to work tomorrow and will hopefully soon see if I can force Roon Into to a format I like better.

Go into settings and tell Roon to use your metadata for Album name.  This will solve a LOT of your issues.  You'll see YOUR album names, and Roon will sort them alphabetically based on your album names (the way the Naim app sorts them).  This really is a simple fix. 

I do this as well and IMHO it reflects the power of Roon; you can combine your metadata preferences with its management, and the combination, to me, is way better than either. You can get the best of both; at least I can.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Echolane
Bart posted:
Echolane posted:
Sloop John B posted:

.sjb

Go into settings and tell Roon to use your metadata for Album name.  This will solve a LOT of your issues.  You'll see YOUR album names, and Roon will sort them alphabetically based on your album names (the way the Naim app sorts them).  This really is a simple fix. 

I do this as well and IMHO it reflects the power of Roon; you can combine your metadata preferences with its management, and the combination, to me, is way better than either. You can get the best of both; at least I can.

Nope.  Won’t work.  Roon cannot read my Naim generated WAV metadata.  A source of great frustration to me because my metadata is essentially perfect with 99.9% accuracy on Titles, Artist, Cover Art and Artist.  All almost 600 albums.  I am working to get SongKong to interpret the Naim metadata and repackage it with WAV file as ID3 format (I think I have that format name  right, check for this info earlier in this thread).  If so, I will have a WAV File that can be as universally read as mp3 files are.  And only then will I be able to submit it to Roon and order Roon tomuse my metadata.