Qb needs dropping out of the window?

Posted by: wenger2015 on 01 December 2018

I bought the Qb about a year ago....all good for about 10 minutes?? Ok slight exaggeration but you get the drift...

More often then not, I open the Apple iPad an access the Naim app only to see ‘room can not be found ‘ ...... 

My dear wife has given up on it completely and gone back to the trusted and proven Roberts Radio.

About 3 weeks ago, the Qb gave up the ghost.... tried everything to make it work....but  nothing worked.

Spoke to my dealer, who requested I send it back...

A couple of days ago a brand new Qb arrived.... 

setting up should take about 5 minutes....???

An hour later after numerous attempts with ‘room  cannot be found ‘ .... eventually success... it’s up an running...... 

Next day..... it’s back too ‘room cannot be found ‘

turn off an on, reboot, check for any software upgrades  ect ect .... it’s still ‘room cannot be found ‘

Saturday morning, it’s still ‘room cannot be found’..

Do I pack it up before throwing out of the window or throw it out as it is?....

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by fatcat

Plus one.

Bizarre.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by blythe

Perhaps, as is the case with 5g compared to 2.4g, the range is compromised by using the newer "better" technologies? I don't use 5g as it doesn't reach some areas of this apartment. (Reinforced concrete walls)
Perhaps Naim felt that too many people running older routers would be peeved to have to replace their router..
My kitchen is semi-open-plan to the sitting room where the router is.
However, the dividing wall is at an oblique angle to the Muso from the router, so the signal has to travel through, effectively, several feet of reinforced concrete wall.
Therefore, at one end of the kitchen counter my Muso works fine, at the other end, it's occasionally flaky.
3 or 4 feet movement makes it work flawlessly and probably the equivalent of removing a foot or two of wall thickness.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by SB

There has been a lot of good information shared here. Just to add my thoughts. The wi-fi implementation on many ISP supplied routers is pretty flaky.
Our village have a "real" fibre based broadband, which is lightning fast, but the supplied router is dire on the wifi side.
The fix for this was to install a decent "gaming" class wi-fi extender/router. I and many of my neighbours have installed Netgear AC-1900 Nighthawk devices. At about 130GBP not cheap, but they have transformed the w-fi experience. I will caveat this with that I don't have a Muso, but don't see why it shouldn't work.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Blylthe, 802.11g and 802.11n have some key differences (as well as numerous differences underneath the covers)... 802.11g is 2.4Ghz only and offers single streams... albeit with diversity where two antennas are used. 892.11n works on both 2.4 and 5GHz Wifi bands and can support backward compatibility with b/g on 2.4Ghz albeit with a impact to performance. A great performance benefit of 802.11n is that it offers MIMO, ie multiple multipath streams between access point and streamer which improves range and nulls from reflections... so I suspect your flakiness in the one end of your kitchen would disappear if you were using 802.11n.. where as g might struggle.

The newer streamer architectures do support 802.11n I believe.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by garyi

There is one universal truth, virgin hubs are terrible. Turn virgin media hubs to modem only and attach it to a decent router

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by cycling66

After having struggled with Qb and wifi since day 1 of its release, sometimes to great levels of reoccurring frustration, it is now becoming clear from this thread that the Qb has always been deficient in its Wifi capability. So what would be a solution? Take the entire house WiFi back to 802.11g? Give the Qb its own router? Ditch the Qb and replace it with a unit that can work well with 802.11n, etc, like all the other devices that have good connectivity in the same space in which the Qb continually fails to connect consistently?  Like others, our Qb is in the kitchen, and ethernet is out of the question.  I love the sound of the Qb and do not really want to give up on it but with regards to WiFi it is not fit for purpose in an everyday sense in current network set ups.  Is there any hope of a refit programme in which the WiFi technology could be updated? Or is it likely that the original model is about to be replaced by one with more current WiFi technology?

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by wenger2015

All back working yesterday, just got back from work now and usual message has appeared !!!!   

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by ChrisSU
cycling66 posted:

After having struggled with Qb and wifi since day 1 of its release, sometimes to great levels of reoccurring frustration, it is now becoming clear from this thread that the Qb has always been deficient in its Wifi capability. So what would be a solution? Take the entire house WiFi back to 802.11g? Give the Qb its own router? Ditch the Qb and replace it with a unit that can work well with 802.11n, etc, like all the other devices that have good connectivity in the same space in which the Qb continually fails to connect consistently?  Like others, our Qb is in the kitchen, and ethernet is out of the question.  I love the sound of the Qb and do not really want to give up on it but with regards to WiFi it is not fit for purpose in an everyday sense in current network set ups.  Is there any hope of a refit programme in which the WiFi technology could be updated? Or is it likely that the original model is about to be replaced by one with more current WiFi technology?

Yes, it is frustrating, and it might have been better if Naim had just not added WiFi at all rather than adding the 802.11g modules. Fortunately, the new streamers now all have 802.11ac, and seem to be much better.

A cheap easy workaround solution would be a pick up a used Apple Airport Express, connect it wirelessly to your network, and run a short Ethernet cable from there to your Muso. This worked quite well for me with a Superuniti, which also ran 802.11g, and was also totally incapable of running over its own WiFi. Sure, there are other, fancier ways to network your house, but this might get you up and running for a very small outlay. 

Having said that, a long Ethernet cable is even cheaper! Or wait for Muso 2, which will probably work.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Burgy100

Fascinating read this has been.....The end user just wants to play music wirelessly, its as simple as that! Wrong there are so many variables to this you could spend time and money sorting it out. I have a Muso, QB and ND5 streamer all are wired with cat5 using powerline adapters. I have a rubbish Virgin 3 hub and downstairs a netgear unmanaged switch supplying numerous items such as the ND5, Oppo BluRay and AppleTV to name a few! Once in a blue moon I may get a switch issue but that's it.

Now some may say using your electricity cables effects the sound, but to my ears its sounds marvellous.

Steve

Thanks for the suggestions, Chrissu.  No ethernet in the kitchen allowed, or practicable without deep reworking. Elsewhere in the house a newer streamer works just fine via ethernet. I'm not sure about introducing an Airport Express, would it be free of introducing interference into the network which might get to the newer streamer? Interesting to note that we also now have another thread just begun highlighting a more general frustration with Naim Wifi issues. There's a lot of frustration out there. Qb 2 with better WiFi would interest me, Qb 1 could be traded in or passed on and perhaps be used wired elsewhere.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Guinnless

@CYCLING66

A BT Home Hub 5 works fine for my Qb. What are you using to provide your WiFi ?

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Steve w

Probably not much help but as with the above post ,we are using BT Homehub 5 with no problems at all...this has been the case in two different homes ,router is now about 20 feet from the qb .

I’m using BT Homehub 5 ??

Qb is about 12ft away from Router...

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by David Hendon
wenger2015 posted:

All back working yesterday, just got back from work now and usual message has appeared !!!!   

Two things I would try.

1) pull down the rooms screen and let go. That makes it look for rooms again and not just st the ip addresses they were at before.

2) swipe the app off and then restart the app. That also makes it look for rooms again too.

best

David

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Guinnless

Your earlier post clearly shows you connected to a Hub 6.  Both the Control Pad and Qb need to be connected to the 2.4 Ghz band.

If your Control Pad  is connected to 5Ghz then that could be your problem

Unless you have split the bands the Home Hub will assign you to the one it thinks is best for you. I run split bands.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/ans...s-network-name%29%3F

Guinnless posted:

Your earlier post clearly shows you connected to a Hub 6.  Both the Control Pad and Qb need to be connected to the 2.4 Ghz band.

Unless you have split the bands the Home Hub will assign you to the one it thinks is best for you. I run split bands.

Yes, it’s hub 6..... slip of the finger.... apologies 

David Hendon posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Two things I would try.

1) pull down the rooms screen and let go. That makes it look for rooms again and not just st the ip addresses they were at before.

2) swipe the app off and then restart the app. That also makes it look for rooms again too.

best

David

Will give it a try..

Guinnless posted:

This shouldn’t be an issue actually. I have my Qb on a 2.4 GHz WiFi from my VM Superhub and my iPhone/iPad is never connected to that WiFi. Sometimes they use 5 GHz from the same Superhub and sometimes they use 2.4 or 5 GHz WiFi with a different SSID from an Apple extreme that is wired back to the Superhub. It makes no difference and it works fine most of the time.

best

David

My BT Hub Manager setting is 2.4 and 5 both on?

wenger2015 posted:

That’s fine and as it should be.

best

David

David Hendon posted:
wenger2015 posted:

That’s fine and as it should be.

best

David

Thanks David 

cycling66 posted:

Further information on my Qb set up.

First, I agree with what others are saying, that the Qb should just be there and ready to play when I tune in. Any other device used in the kitchen finds the WiFi network it has been previously connected to without error, time and time again. The Qb when it is switched on does not. It sits pulsing and not connecting to radio. Power off at the socket, wait a few seconds, turn on again, circling lights, pulsing, and then the radio kicks in.  But then when you switch off and return later you are back at the beginning of the cycle, pulsing lights, no audio.  If I want to be assured of catching the news, for instance, best bet is to join iPlayer on the laptop, etc, and airplay to Qb. It works that way. It works through room sharing from the other streamer upstairs, two floors away.  We have a VM SH3 but with WiFi turned off. WiFi being supplied via Orbi router and satellites. I have had a satellite a room away, I have had one a foot  away, I have wired a satellite to the Qb. None of these options is reliable without switching off at socket.  I don't find turning off one WiFi band an acceptable solution. A user should not have to do that to have a Qb function. I will say, once it is playing audio, it is fine, no dropouts. It will even play high resolution audio.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by blythe
wenger2015 posted:

Is there a cordless phone base anywhere close to your router or your QB?
Is your router tucked away behind the TV or other large metal object?
Is there a table lamp (or other) using compact fluorescent bulbs close to the router or QB?
Is the QB adjacent to a microwave oven or other large metal object which might be blocking the wifi signal.

All of the above can have a significant and bad affect on wifi signal.

My kitchen QB is approximately 30 feet from the router, semi-open plan but partly obscured by a steel-reinforced-concrete wall which no doubt is blocking some signal.
My router reports the QB signal is currently receiving at -56dbm and the signal rate 54mbps. In terms of signal "number of bars" it's showing 3 out of 4.
If you log in to your router, does the BT HomeHub 6 report such things?

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by audio1946

on bt with latest hub . muso qb has worked fine even in garden ,must have been the sun   my problem with the qb is that if cost much less than mine

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by wenger2015
blythe posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Is there a cordless phone base anywhere close to your router or your QB?
Is your router tucked away behind the TV or other large metal object?
Is there a table lamp (or other) using compact fluorescent bulbs close to the router or QB?
Is the QB adjacent to a microwave oven or other large metal object which might be blocking the wifi signal.

All of the above can have a significant and bad affect on wifi signal.

My kitchen QB is approximately 30 feet from the router, semi-open plan but partly obscured by a steel-reinforced-concrete wall which no doubt is blocking some signal.
My router reports the QB signal is currently receiving at -56dbm and the signal rate 54mbps. In terms of signal "number of bars" it's showing 3 out of 4.
If you log in to your router, does the BT HomeHub 6 report such things?

Yes, too the first 2 questions ..

Unfortunately both difficult to re-locate...

I have come to the conclusion the only way forward is to hard wire.