Football Season 2017/18

Posted by: Kevin-W on 11 July 2017

As requested by Steve (Paper Plane) on the 16/17 thread, here's a new one for 2017/18. All leagues/divisions welcome.

Come on you Irons!

Posted on: 21 October 2017 by Kevin-W

That game gainst BHA at the Bradydome last night was as woeful a display as I've seen from West Ham - and I've been following them for more than  45 years!

No interest, no passion and no skill from the players (apart from Zabaleta); no system, no strategy, no tactics, no clue from the manager.

Our two most expensive players, Arnautovich and Ayew, are a complete waste of money, space and oxygen. We have some great kids - Oxford, Burke, Martinez, Samuelson, Rice, Quina - but we never see them. We are forced to watch the same useless, disengaged hacks and mercenaries week after week. Our defence is clueless and porous. We don't have any proper strikers, nor is there a system or strategy.

Worst of all, we don't have a home. The Bradydome is the most horrible, toxic dump I've ever been to - and I visited Priestfield before it was redeveloped. The Dildo Twins and that hatchet-faced Tory biatch were obviously thinking that they were being really fcuking clever by getting an old Olympic stadium for nothing, but they would, because the three of them are cheapskate, unimaginative skinflints utterly without vision.

What they did was sell our beloved old ground (the Boleyn was a bit of a dump, but it was our dump) for a venue completely unsuited to football; which we don't own and which we have no control over. It's in the middle of bloody nowhere, surrounded by cranes, there are no decent pubs, the area around it has been cleansed of the stallholders, hawkers and other types who contribute to the atmosphere of a ground. Once inside, there's no atmosphere, and many of the fans are about half a trillion miles from the pitch.

I was opposed to leaving the Boleyn in the first place, and disliked the "London Stadium" from my first visit; now I despise it and I hate it a little more with each successive visit. It is a vast, mocking reminder of the selling-off of our club's soul.

If the board sack Bilic (unlikely, because they're too tight to pay the compo) the fans expecting a big name (Ancelotti, FFS!) or an inspired appointment of a young, dynamic, forward-thinking manager, are deluded. The Dildos will get Moyes or McLaren in, that's the limit of their vision and amotion.

When the Terrible Trio boasted about "taking West Ham to the next level" I don't think anyone suspected that they were taking us down a level, as opposed to up.

The Bongo Bros and "Lady" Brady need to admit defeat and sell up, before their assets evaporate immediately. Failing that, I can see an AFC West Ham being started up by the fans.

Posted on: 21 October 2017 by Quad 33

Watched the game last night Kev not good. Total agree with your post above the only other prat you did not mention was Lord, Sir, Duke Coe  or what ever his f**k monicker is, who am am sure he will have had his fingers in the pie.

ATB Graham.

Posted on: 21 October 2017 by Tabby cat

Feel for you Kev - I remember on Talk Sport this week they where talking about life at the new ground and when this season the Hammers have gone up early the place can be really rocking noise wise.But they  also said that if they where behind the place was shockingly quiet.Something to do with the new ground - distance from the pitch to the fans.....thanks for your thoughts seems to vindicate what they where saying on Talk Sport.

Sounds like the last place I would like to visit from your description but what can you do if it's your team......argh !      Chelski it ain't !

Loving the Rags losing at Huddersfield and City's 3-0 at home to Burnley.....well I would !

What's  the latest on your HB 1' s - any movement with Wilmslow ?  

My first speakers I brought back in the early 1980 's  so the rose tainted glasses  on and all that.

Check this video on YouTube        Mazzy star - rhymes of an hour - BBC 1996.

A hauntingly beautiful track..... stunning pictures of her....she shades it for me....voice and looks wise over Goldfrapp. !!!!.........ha ha !

Always loved their stuff and Hope Sandoval has such a beautiful voice.Saw them in London in 1993.Brilliant concert but Hope Sandoval suffers from acute shyness and just looked down between songs and only thanked the crowd in a whisper at the end.  

Cheers Ian

Posted on: 21 October 2017 by MDS

I can well understand your frustrations, Kevin, about the owners and new ground especially.  I've been to Upton Park a few times, albeit quite a few years ago. As a neutral and even when my lot were there (and losing) the atmosphere in the ground was always something special and was worth ticket price for that alone.  It was a proper football occasion.  The accountants and many owners can't see that facet of a club. It's not visible on a balance sheet. But true footie fans know it is something precious which serves the club well in both good times and bad. It should be preserved.

While I still think the Hammers' squad is too good to get relegated I fear you're now lumbered with the Bradydome.  

Posted on: 22 October 2017 by Hmack

Anyone watching the u17 World Cup in India?

I have watched England's last 3 matches in this tournament, including their 4:1 win over the US last night to reach the semi-finals, despite their 'star' player being recalled from the squad by Borussia Dortmund prior to the game. They'll have tougher games to come with Spain and Germany playing in the remaining quarter finals tonight. However, their football has been outstanding from defence to attack, and their midfield players in particular look absolutely superb. I am not English, so this is quite a compliment. I reckon this England squad is perhaps the best team of this age group that I have ever seen, and more than a few of the players in the squad are likely to be destined for great things.  

Posted on: 22 October 2017 by beginner

That game gainst BHA at the Bradydome last night was as woeful a display as I've seen from West Ham - and I've been following them for more than  45 years!

No interest, no passion and no skill from the players (apart from Zabaleta); no system, no strategy, no tactics, no clue from the manager.

Our two most expensive players, Arnautovich and Ayew, are a complete waste of money, space and oxygen. We have some great kids - Oxford, Burke, Martinez, Samuelson, Rice, Quina - but we never see them. We are forced to watch the same useless, disengaged hacks and mercenaries week after week. Our defence is clueless and porous. We don't have any proper strikers, nor is there a system or strategy.

Worst of all, we don't have a home. The Bradydome is the most horrible, toxic dump I've ever been to - and I visited Priestfield before it was redeveloped. The Dildo Twins and that hatchet-faced Tory biatch were obviously thinking that they were being really fcuking clever by getting an old Olympic stadium for nothing, but they would, because the three of them are cheapskate, unimaginative skinflints utterly without vision.

What they did was sell our beloved old ground (the Boleyn was a bit of a dump, but it was our dump) for a venue completely unsuited to football; which we don't own and which we have no control over. It's in the middle of bloody nowhere, surrounded by cranes, there are no decent pubs, the area around it has been cleansed of the stallholders, hawkers and other types who contribute to the atmosphere of a ground. Once inside, there's no atmosphere, and many of the fans are about half a trillion miles from the pitch.

I was opposed to leaving the Boleyn in the first place, and disliked the "London Stadium" from my first visit; now I despise it and I hate it a little more with each successive visit. It is a vast, mocking reminder of the selling-off of our club's soul.

If the board sack Bilic (unlikely, because they're too tight to pay the compo) the fans expecting a big name (Ancelotti, FFS!) or an inspired appointment of a young, dynamic, forward-thinking manager, are deluded. The Dildos will get Moyes or McLaren in, that's the limit of their vision and amotion.

When the Terrible Trio boasted about "taking West Ham to the next level" I don't think anyone suspected that they were taking us down a level, as opposed to up.

The Bongo Bros and "Lady" Brady need to admit defeat and sell up, before their assets evaporate immediately. Failing that, I can see an AFC West Ham being started up by the fans. 

ITS WITH A HEAVY HEART BUT I HAVE TO AGREE TOTALLY,  THE THREE OF THEM HAVE DONE MORE DAMAGE TO WEST HAM THAN MILLWALL COULD OF DREAMED OF , sorry for shouting 

Posted on: 22 October 2017 by Paper Plane

Spurs 4 - 1 Liverpool 

That I like...

steve

Posted on: 22 October 2017 by MDS

Bad day for Merseyside and a good one for North London.  Much as a like Klopp it's hard to see how Liverpool have improved under him. Their defence is still pants.  Meanwhile the Toffees must be particularly frustrated given how they splashed the cash in early season.   

Posted on: 23 October 2017 by Arfur Oddsocks
Kevin-W posted:

What they did was sell our beloved old ground (the Boleyn was a bit of a dump, but it was our dump) for a venue completely unsuited to football; which we don't own and which we have no control over. It's in the middle of bloody nowhere, surrounded by cranes, there are no decent pubs, the area around it has been cleansed of the stallholders, hawkers and other types who contribute to the atmosphere of a ground. Once inside, there's no atmosphere, and many of the fans are about half a trillion miles from the pitch.

When the Terrible Trio boasted about "taking West Ham to the next level" I don't think anyone suspected that they were taking us down a level, as opposed to up.

Amen to all of that.

I rarely ever post here now but read most days but the plight of my beloved Hammers and the actions of the gruesome threesome can't pass  me by without comment.  

Posted on: 23 October 2017 by MDS

Well, the axe didn't take long to fall on Koeman. Who next for the Toffees I wonder?

Posted on: 24 October 2017 by dave marshall

Big night tonight for the Mighty Whites at Leicester ............... fingers crossed. 

Posted on: 24 October 2017 by Christopher_M
MDS posted:

Well, the axe didn't take long to fall on Koeman. Who next for the Toffees I wonder?

I have huge respect for Everton and their passionate fans. I'd like to know what happened there. I don't suppose we'll ever know. Today's Times says RonKo stopped talking to the players as it went skywards.

Posted on: 24 October 2017 by MDS

I think he should have stayed with your lot, Chris. The team looked more in tune with his football philosophy. Unlike Everton. 

Posted on: 24 October 2017 by Christopher_M

Yes Mike. When the Beeb ran this story online yesterday, there was a highly rated comment that said, "Bit like the Titanic, he regretted leaving Southampton."

He was very good for Saints but I'm not sure many Saints fans will ever hold much affection for him after he as good as made it clear that the club wasn't big enough for him. And it's proved his undoing, since, according to Henry Winter in today's times, his Barca fixation was his undoing at Goodison.

Posted on: 24 October 2017 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:

Yes Mike. When the Beeb ran this story online yesterday, there was a highly rated comment that said, "Bit like the Titanic, he regretted leaving Southampton."

He was very good for Saints but I'm not sure many Saints fans will ever hold much affection for him after he as good as made it clear that the club wasn't big enough for him. And it's proved his undoing, since, according to Henry Winter in today's times, his Barca fixation was his undoing at Goodison.

That shows some arrogance on Koeman's part.  Everton have fuller trophy cabinet than the Saints but that's some years ago. If the two clubs are compared over the past ten years I think things look much more even.  For example, I've always felt that your lot and Everton have had excellent scouting and youth development set-ups, both bringing talent through to the first-team. Interestingly, Koeman's arrival has seen Everton start splashing the cash on 'name' players, which is not the Everton way.  On football style I think there's a difference. Saints with a more technical and a passing game (ok, I know creativity has been a problem) whereas I've always felt Everton's style is in Stoke/WBA mould i.e. a pressing/physical game and clever at set-pieces.  Looking at the dismal defeat at home to the Gunners, Koeman seems to have moved away from that and the Everton players looked very ill-at-ease.    

Posted on: 25 October 2017 by Christopher_M

Claude Puel managing  again in the Premier League ... at Leicester City. I was not expecting that!

And Appleton retained to work with him, Mike. Saints and Pompey combining there as here  ;-)

Posted on: 26 October 2017 by beginner

Great win by the mighty Hammers last night, dreadful firts half, looked more like training session for the spuds, but second half was a dream, it doesnt happen often...watching West Ham coming from behind so im going to enjoy the win while it lasts, ?????

Posted on: 26 October 2017 by Christopher_M
beginner posted:

Great win by the mighty Hammers last night, dreadful firts half, looked more like training session for the spuds, but second half was a dream, it doesnt happen often...watching West Ham coming from behind so im going to enjoy the win while it lasts, ?????

My hope is that Kev has got in touch with his family and told them he is ok.

Posted on: 26 October 2017 by MDS

Good result for the Hammers but I read today that the company that owns the Bradydome maybe going bust. Don't know where that would leave WHU.  Kevin will no doubt have the inside story.

Posted on: 27 October 2017 by Paper Plane

Fair play to the Hammers. I sincerely hope you win the Cup now.

steve

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by MDS

Well done to the England u-17s. What a great result.  I watched most of the game this afternoon (occasionally switching over to Sky Sports to keep track of domestic scores, of course).  What I particularly liked about England's performance was the confidence and winning mentality. Going 2-0 down against a side as talented as Spain would normally have seen confidence ebb away. It would have with the senior team. Not so this afternoon. These lads stuck to their game plan, showed confidence in their talent and tactics and were handsomely rewarded.  They even withstood the Spanish players resorting to their off-the-ball niggling in the latter stages. I very much hope that a good proportion of these lads work their way through to full international level. That's been the German way for some time and it would be great if England could follow it.

Posted on: 28 October 2017 by mpw

ohhh absolutely !!

Playing in front of a 66,684 sell out crowd in Kolkata would have added to their overall experience.

I thought the tireless Hudson Odoi was a standout apart from Brewster and Foden.

The Brit Grit came to the fore and took the party away from the Spanish armada.

Well done U17 England !

Very well done India - for hosting the largest  ever U17 WC in history !

( The number of football patrons attending the WC matches has broken all previous records held anywhere. )

#proud

Posted on: 29 October 2017 by MDS

Yes, MPW. A good point to recognise what an excellent job India did in hosting the tournament. Hopefully it will give boost to football in that cricket-dominated country.

Posted on: 29 October 2017 by Suzy Wong
MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

That shows some arrogance on Koeman's part.  Everton have fuller trophy cabinet than the Saints but that's some years ago. If the two clubs are compared over the past ten years I think things look much more even.  For example, I've always felt that your lot and Everton have had excellent scouting and youth development set-ups, both bringing talent through to the first-team. Interestingly, Koeman's arrival has seen Everton start splashing the cash on 'name' players, which is not the Everton way.  On football style I think there's a difference. Saints with a more technical and a passing game (ok, I know creativity has been a problem) whereas I've always felt Everton's style is in Stoke/WBA mould i.e. a pressing/physical game and clever at set-pieces.  Looking at the dismal defeat at home to the Gunners, Koeman seems to have moved away from that and the Everton players looked very ill-at-ease.    

There was a story “doin’ the rounds” that RK fell out with the SFC board because he was not interested in the Academy. The board’s view was that we could “do the job” (aka challenge for the top, Champion’s League, yada yada yada) with youngsters from the Academy conveyer belt, whereas RK took the view that you need to “splash the cash” if you are serious about succeeding in the Prem. 

Posted on: 29 October 2017 by Suzy Wong
mpw posted:

ohhh absolutely !!

Playing in front of a 66,684 sell out crowd in Kolkata would have added to their overall experience.

I thought the tireless Hudson Odoi was a standout apart from Brewster and Foden.

The Brit Grit came to the fore and took the party away from the Spanish armada.

Well done U17 England !

Very well done India - for hosting the largest  ever U17 WC in history !

( The number of football patrons attending the WC matches has broken all previous records held anywhere. )

#proud

Hey mpw,

I haven’t come across your team before. As this is a “footy thread ” would you care to tell us a bit about them?