Football Season 2017/18

Posted by: Kevin-W on 11 July 2017

As requested by Steve (Paper Plane) on the 16/17 thread, here's a new one for 2017/18. All leagues/divisions welcome.

Come on you Irons!

Posted on: 31 August 2017 by wenger2015
Hook posted:

Based on his Arsenal days, am not getting the Ox signing. Maybe he'll do better in a new setting, or maybe LFC now has an expensive bench player.

The next few hours should be interesting, and no clue how the VvD situation will play out. I do suspect that Coutinho will be gone by end of day (or tomorrow when the Spanish transfer window closes).

Am not a true LFC supporter, but I do like the way they are now playing under Klopp. They are usually fun to watch, and all of their matches are broadcast this side of the pond. Feel the same way about Barca and Dortmund. Of course, my true allegiance is now pledged to the future MLS champs, the mighty Minnesota United. Go Loons! 

The Ox, supported Liverpool as a youngster....i think he will do well under klopp.

Posted on: 10 September 2017 by Christopher_M

Even as a quasi-insider I have to wonder what is happening at Saints. They seem to be playing as if under Claude Puel but with marginally more attacking intent. They are the same players I suppose!

How I miss Pochettino's high pressing game. At the moment it's mostly ticky-tacky.

Ian, if you are reading this, I wonder if you were at the Etihad for your 5-0?

Posted on: 10 September 2017 by MDS

I think your problems at Saints are modest compared to poor old Palace, Chris. Four games and no points and no goals.  At Burnley this afternoon I thought they acquitted themselves well, dominating possession, but gave away the goal and created little.  Could be a long hard season for the Eagles at this rate.

Thanks Mike, Saints are away at Palace next Saturday. How have Pompey started?

Posted on: 10 September 2017 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:

Thanks Mike, Saints are away at Palace next Saturday. How have Pompey started?

Two wins, two draws, two defeats, Chris.  Having won League Two last season, I know quite a few Pompey fans think and expect us to walk straight through League One this season. But with a new manager, a new playing system and half the team new, my expectations are consolidation for this season. Kenny Jackett has a reputation as a high quality coach and he brought in and blooded lots of youngsters, which I'm really pleased to see. The club and new owners are really keen to invest in the academy, your lot providing a great example to follow. So patience is needed and I'm ok with the start we've made, Chris. 

Mike

Good one. Let's hope KJ can do the business for a season of consolidation.

C.

Posted on: 10 September 2017 by Tabby cat
Christopher_M posted:

Ian, if you are reading this, I wonder if you were at the Etihad for your 5-0?

Hi Chris,

I would have loved to have been.Even missed it on Sky .Did see the MOTD Highlights.City looked impressive they just seemed all over Liverpool.Aguero laying  it off for Jesus to score was class.Sane on the wing was impressive as usual.He always looks like he's giving it 100 %.KDB - world class.

Hope things pick up with the Saints.Not encouraging though with Brighton on 4 points.-Early days I know.

Posted on: 10 September 2017 by Kevin-W

OK - so how can Palace be the first team since 1924 to lose their four opening games without scoring a single goal, and still not be bottom of the league?

Oh wait - West Ham are even more crappily dismal, with a defence so leaky that they have conceded 3.3 goals per game!

Let's hope Slav sorts it out tomorrow and that we send Palace to the basement...

Posted on: 11 September 2017 by MDS

Apparently Palace have sacked De Boer. Must be another record: only four games in charge.  Sky saying Woy Hodgson is expected to be announced as new manager.  

Posted on: 11 September 2017 by Bert Schurink
MDS posted:

Apparently Palace have sacked De Boer. Must be another record: only four games in charge.  Sky saying Woy Hodgson is expected to be announced as new manager.  

It looks like De Boer is becoming the one you get to sack him again shortly afterwards. Staying with Ajax might have been the better plan for him....

Posted on: 12 September 2017 by dave marshall

Joining the footie topic for the first time, as the Mighty Whites move to the top of the Championship tonight.

Early days, I know, but I can feel far too many years of disappointment finally beginning to lift. 

Posted on: 13 September 2017 by Christopher_M

In my mind, still a very big club, Dave. But it's been too long since the Allan Clarke years.

Posted on: 13 September 2017 by Kevin-W

Relief - however temporary - reigns here in Hammerland. For once, we all left the Bradydome happy on Monday night...

Posted on: 13 September 2017 by JamieWednesday

While Chelsea managed to put six past some carrier bags...

Posted on: 13 September 2017 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:

In my mind, still a very big club, Dave. But it's been too long since the Allan Clarke years.

Gosh. Now you're going back, Chris. Lorimer, Madeley, Bremner, Giles, Charlton (J), Gray, Cooper & co. That was some team, though I was never convinced by Sprake. 

Posted on: 13 September 2017 by sjbabbey
MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Gosh. Now you're going back, Chris. Lorimer, Madeley, Bremner, Giles, Charlton (J), Gray, Cooper & co. That was some team, though I was never convinced by Sprake. 

I think Gary Sprake will always be remembered for throwing the ball into his own net against Liverpool.

Posted on: 13 September 2017 by dave marshall
Christopher_M posted:

The main reason behind the present euphoria felt by most fans is that the club is being managed on a sensible basis for the first time in many years, starting with an owner who has delivered on his promises since his 100% takeover as recently as May.

He's installed a manager of whom nobody had heard, rather than one of the usual suspects who seem to rotate through club after club, and the results, (so far), speak for themselves.

He's also put together a scouting team who are looking abroad for fresh faces, rather than the tired old workhorses, eager for one last payday, and one or two of these "unknowns" wouldn't look out of place on the Premiership.

So, hopefully, not a false dawn, but if things carry on like this, I ought to be able to convince my 7 year old grandson, (who's now experienced the Elland Rd. atmosphere first hand), to abandon his dad's team, Spurs, in favour of the Mighty Whites. 

MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Well remembered. And with Reaney, Hunter and Clarke, can we get a team out?

dave marshall posted:

So, hopefully, not a false dawn, but if things carry on like this, I ought to be able to convince my 7 year old grandson, (who's now experienced the Elland Rd. atmosphere first hand), to abandon his dad's team, Spurs, in favour of the Mighty Whites. 

Appalled, Dave, that a son of yours, or agreed more likely a son-in-law, would desert the white rose county. But that's London for you, with their big money ways and their focaccia   :-)

Seriously hoping for a good season for you, Dave, with, as you say, new owner, manager and players.

Posted on: 13 September 2017 by sjbabbey

Mick Jones?

Posted on: 13 September 2017 by MDS
sjbabbey posted:
MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

I think Gary Sprake will always be remembered for throwing the ball into his own net against Liverpool.

Yeah. I'd forgotten that sorry episode. As Soccer AM would say today 'Taxi for Gary!'

Posted on: 17 September 2017 by Bob the Builder

Thought the Arsenal were excellent today and outplayed Chelsea again really unlucky not to win.

Posted on: 18 September 2017 by Tabby cat

Nice Arsenal result Bob.Great job from your defense.

City running riot at Watford - just a brilliant display....3 games including the Champions Leauge and 15 goals.Looking like a dream start.Must be loads of confidence in the squad.

Posted on: 18 September 2017 by Bob the Builder

Yes City look a bit scary up front! Not looking forward to meeting them.

Posted on: 23 September 2017 by Tabby cat

Kev

Good luck today with the Spuds.

Will be watching it on Sky at lunchtime.

Are you going ?