System Pics 2018

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 17 December 2017

Welcome to System Pics 2018.

To start things off, here are a couple of pictures of my setup. There have been some big changes over the past year; a 300 and a 555PS, and some extra shelves to accommodate them. 

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Bob the Builder
TOBYJUG posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

IMG_3026

LP12 lid off.

Awesome. What a distinguished little fireplace. You could paint the domed pediment in the top middle a luminous green.

Unfortunately the only one left in the house now I do think sometimes that I might open them up again and find period replacements but I suffer from the incurable disease of not letting another builder near his house with a ten foot barge pole and so have a 3/4 finished kitchen, a bathroom to rip out and replace and two bedrooms to plaster but no time or energy left to do it, it's taken me 16 years to get to this point so if my amazing other half doesn't murder me before that I may well die before it gets done. The shelving you see here was supposed to be a temporary measure 18 months ago until I got round to fitting bespoke ones myself.

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by JimDog

Talking of system pics, Racetripper donated a rather fine one on the track 'Play across or along a long sitting room?' - including white-pomegranate tea on his coffee table (a Track which also delves into the mysteries of the Sonic Triangulation Ratio or STR).

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by Dan.S
Anto68 posted:

My new Hugo 2 added to my set up

Sir Francis Drake smiles even though it seems to be too serious

Nice to see other people loving the high end elacs. Gorgeous 314s.

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Anto68

Thank's Dan's, it's a small speaker hard to beat (in that price range of course) , only the "stellars" Graham Audio Ls 5/9 could make me change my mind

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by rackkit
Bart posted:
Lewis posted:

I've had a reshuffle, picked up a nice Isoblue rack for the lounge and the Fraimlite is now in the other room

I love the 'retro' look here - well done!

Take a bow Lewis. That Chrome Bumper look is just so bloody cool. 

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Lewis

Thanks very much for the kind words everyone.

[@mention:41551090681332912] I went from a CB 250 to the 135's, but I also own a CB bolt down 250 (the old type) which I ossassionally swap these out with as I like to change things up.  That too sounds wonderful, perhaps just a tad more clarity and space with the 135's though, and they go very loud too!   You will enjoy yours i'm sure, they also look beautiful!

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Dan.S

Here's mine. Moved countries so this is temporary.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Mike1951

Couple of invisible upgrades... I was using a temporary solution to powering up the nDAC, but a second Graham's Hydra now in place.

New gel separators under the speakers.

But it's just a bit more photogenic in this snapshot.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Geoff C
HiFiman posted:
garyi posted:

I have heard a number of IBLs and frankly did not get it.

Some say JVs favourite speaker 

I remember seeing a pair in his house either side of his TV!

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by MDS
Dan.S posted:

Here's mine. Moved countries so this is temporary.

Nice set-up, Dan, but probably not a good idea to have that speaker cable to the RH speaker coiled in that way. It can be detrimental to the performance.  

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Mike1951

Sammy Note 4. Tidal. Audioquest Dragonfly, Dragons Tail connector, Golden Gate lead, B&W PX's.

Yum.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Matteo

Mike, I found the Dragonfly Black much fun than the Red, despite its lower price.

FWIW, also the Cambridge DacMagic XS and the Cyrus soundKey deserve a listen .

M.

Have you got over-ears ‘phones, or earbuds?

Mike1951 posted:

Have you got over-ears ‘phones, or earbuds?

I had/have the following headphones:

CURRENT

AKG K92
Pioneer HDJ-2000 MK2-K
Sennheiser HD 202 II
AKG K550 MKII
Shure SRH840
Audiotecnica ATH-M50X
KRK KNS 8400
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm)

PREVIOUS
Beyerdynamic T1 (1st gen.)
Grado HP2 JGSUWBRC
Rudistor Chroma MD2
Ultrasone Signature DJ
Hifiman HE-500
AKG K340 vintage heavy bass
Grado RS1
Grado RS1i APS V3
Alessandro MS2
Beyerdynamic DT 880
Sennheiser HD 600
Ultrasone HFI 780
Sennheiser HD 800

M.

So, I guess you’re really into headphones, huh? ????????

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by lyndon

MATTEO

how many ears have you got

just asking

lyndon

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by kishekar
Lewis posted:
kishekar posted:

The 2nd system for the office hasn't really changed on the surface since last post – but it has under the hood.  1983 NAIT 1 just came back from Audio Plus, freshly recapped.  After about 40 hours break in, and fed by the Mojo, these Tablette Sig 10s are sounding stunningly lovely.  Can't believe a little 15w integrated from 1983 causing me this much joy – and where it will go upon further break in.

Very nice, simple but beautiful   Can I ask what the source is?  Just a laptop to the chord then to the Nait 1?

Picked up a used Benchmark DAC 2D.  This 'little office system' is turning into a bit more of a real system than initially intended.  But it sounds great, so hey.  

Initial thoughts on DAC vs. the previously used Chord Mojo (still in my daily commuting laptop bag):  Significantly more transparent, much more high frequency clarity.  Potentially a touch leaner.  A part of me wants to say the Chord was more emotionally involving... but then I put the Benchmark back on, and hot damn: it is a fine piece of equipment.   Will require some more time to compare.   This may potentially require a swap with main system and to bring the Chord 2Qute out here, and move the Benchmark inside with the Auralic Aries/SN2/ATC SCM 19 setup.  Happy problems.

Also:  kinda neat how nicely the NAIT1 and Benchmark stack!  Just wish the Benchmark was little less LED happy.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by HiFiman

Kishekar looks great, case width wise they look like a perfect match.

Mike1951 posted:

So, I guess you’re really into headphones, huh? ????????

Mike, Lindon

With 3 kids at home and a not particularly kind SWMBO, a good headphones set is a must!

Also at my office headphones are mandatory.

M.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Salvo

Hi,

Since this is the proper space to publish one's kit, here is mine ( you can also look at the thread on Technics speakers with 500 series for more pictures).

The "blue eyes" are only some VU meters that I have built myself,  as well as the speakers that I have refurbished and are now in the process of further upgrade.

Thanks,

Salvo

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by JimDog

Salvo - I really want to hear those speakers!

If you ever want to film your system playing and upload it to Vimeo, please let me know the url!

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by rjstaines
JimDog posted:

Salvo - I really want to hear those speakers!

If you ever want to film your system playing and upload it to Vimeo, please let me know the url!

I've sat and watched videos of peoples high-end kit playing.  The only moving part is usually the turntable... mesmerising  (well for a second or two).

And when the proud videographer zooms in on his (or her) speakers, their sound very often amazes me;  I very often find myself wondering just how come such a fine, expensive set of speakers sounds so horrible and tinny, with no depth of bass or sound stage. 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by RaceTripper

It's been a long time since I posted in this thread, but this year brought a bunch of major changes to the system:

1. Naim gear went back to Naim N.A. for service/recapping. The HiCap and NAP250-2 were upgraded to HiCap DR and NAP 250DR.
  2. Herron Audio VTPH-2 phonostage was upgraded to VTPH-2a spec.
  3. Added a second REL R-328 sub, to make up a stereo pair.
  4. Upgraded from Dynaudio Contour S3.4 (cherry) speakers to Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum (piano black), with isoAcoustics Gaia II feet.
  5. Added a Butcher Block Acoustics 3" Maple end-grain block to the TT wall shelf.
  6. Changed from a Clearaudio Quadro record clamp (360g) to HRS ADH clamp (850g).
  7. Changed the TT feet from supplied spikes to isoAcoustics Gaia III feet.
  8. Added Clearaudio Outer Limit stabilizer ring (1500g) for TT.
  9. Replaced Salamander cabinet with Naim Fraim equipment racks, with Fraimlite tops.
  10. Added Solidsteel S3-2 rack for Okki Nokki/cleaning station.

I would still like to upgrade my tonearm from the Clearaudio Magnify to the Universal. Maybe next year.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Gazza
RaceTripper posted:

It's been a long time since I posted in this thread, but this year brought a bunch of major changes to the system:

1. Naim gear went back to Naim N.A. for service/recapping. The HiCap and NAP250-2 were upgraded to HiCap DR and NAP 250DR.
  2. Herron Audio VTPH-2 phonostage was upgraded to VTPH-2a spec.
  3. Added a second REL R-328 sub, to make up a stereo pair.
  4. Upgraded from Dynaudio Contour S3.4 (cherry) speakers to Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum (piano black), with isoAcoustics Gaia II feet.
  5. Added a Butcher Block Acoustics 3" Maple end-grain block to the TT wall shelf.
  6. Changed from a Clearaudio Quadro record clamp (360g) to HRS ADH clamp (850g).
  7. Changed the TT feet from supplied spikes to isoAcoustics Gaia III feet.
  8. Added Clearaudio Outer Limit stabilizer ring (1500g) for TT.
  9. Replaced Salamander cabinet with Naim Fraim equipment racks, with Fraimlite tops.
  10. Added Solidsteel S3-2 rack for Okki Nokki/cleaning station.

I would still like to upgrade my tonearm from the Clearaudio Magnify to the Universal. Maybe next year.

Very nice system and room put together with love over time,I would put a bet on you????

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by kevin J Carden

Bet the system sounds lovely RT. Forgive the strange question (I’m planning my bespoke music room currently), but what’s the paint colour on your walls there?