What DVD have you just watched?

Posted by: u5227470736789439 on 27 November 2005

Just about to watch the secong half of 'The Odessa File.'

All the best from Fredrik
Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Tony2011
Kevin-W posted:

[@mention:6917038660692026] - do you know Ozu and Mizoguchi? What do you think of their movies?

No, Kev, I cannot say I have heard of either. I'll do a bit of research later on, but in the meantime do you have any recommendations ?

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Kevin-W

For Yashujiro Ozu, it's best to kick off with Tokyo Story (which usually vies with Citizen Kane and La Regle Du Jeu as the critics' choice for greatest film ever) then Late Spring, Late Autumn, Equinox Flower and Floating Weeds.

For Kenji Mizoguchi, I'd start with Ugetsu, then try The Life of Oharu, Sansho The Baillif, and The Story of The Last Chrysanthemums.

Both are very different directors from Kurosawa (especially Ozu, whose pictures are low-key, initimate and usually family-based), but there is more that unites all three than separates them. Mizoguchi and Kurosawa are both adept at historical and period-based dramas, while Ozu's films have a contemprary setting. All three, however are primarily concerned with what it is to be Japanese, and with examinations of Japanese culture, tradition and language (especially notions of obligation and bonds of honour).

Ozu is also one of the most physocologically penetrating of all directors, along with Dreyer. A great technical innovator, he developed a technique that makes the viewer feel as if they are in the centre - or at least part of - the scene, rather than an observer of it. His scene transitions are like no-one else's either.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Tony2011

Thanks for the info and for taking the time, Kev. Your enthusiasm and knowledge are second to none. I’ll check them out.

Have a great weekend.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by JamieWednesday

Excellent documentary.

Nothing new to be learned but the pilots candid reminiscences and the film makers first class cinematography make it highly recommended.

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Drikus

Got series 1, 2 and 3 a while back but just started watching them now. This is so good I also ordered series 4, 5, 6 and 7 on DVD. Got 3 more episodes to go from Series 3 but the other DVD's should be arriving this week so the binge watching won't be interrupted I hope.

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Bert Schurink

Nice

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Haim Ronen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euZ1fGPb_7M

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Yetizone

A Quiet Place. Streamed via Apple TV.

Late to the party on this film as I just do not get to the cinema as often as I used to. But, as it had been so positively received, this was on the catch up list. Finally got the opportunity last night and it didn’t disappoint. 

A tense and exciting contemporary Sci-Fi-Horror B Movie. Doesn’t overstay its welcome at a tight ninety minutes running time. The (small) cast are superb, especially Emily Blunt, although she’s good in everything she does! Excellent production design and VFX where it counts. Fantastic sound design too, which really comes to life in 5.1. Some truly shocking pulse racing moments that even caught this hardened genre fan out. Watched on my own and I’ve never been so aware of every sound in the house. Plus a truly touching moment using Neil Young’s (wonderful) Harvest Moon.

Highly recommended.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Haim Ronen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV3QsfDMudI

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by tonym

Given I already own this on BluRay and DVD, is 4K a needless extravagance? Absolutely not! I could watch this film forever and still not be bored with it. The 4K with HDR really enhances the colours, particularly in the bowling alley and dream sequences scenes. Crystal-clear dialogue so you can enjoy the whole thing all over again.

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by thebigfredc

The Dude abides.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by ewemon

Can't say I enjoyed it.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Mission Impossible: Fallout.

Some very impressive stunts in this film, all the more impressive since TC did most of his himself, including the amazing HALO jump sequence (with broken foot, no less!). Great fun.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Yetizone

Roxy Music - A Musical History. BBC4  - iPlayer.

Watched this documentary via the iPlayer last night and even though I’m not the biggest Roxy fan, it held my attention and made me want to explore more of their back catalogue. Not the most in depth doc, but a decent balance of well known muso talking heads (Shaun Ryder looking a little rough and Gas Coombes wearing a fetching shirt!) plus obligatory archive footage. Worth a watch. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bt8x9w

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Drikus
Drikus posted:

Got series 1, 2 and 3 a while back but just started watching them now. This is so good I also ordered series 4, 5, 6 and 7 on DVD. Got 3 more episodes to go from Series 3 but the other DVD's should be arriving this week so the binge watching won't be interrupted I hope.

Seems like Adam has some Naim kit and Focal speakers in his flat  (episode 4 of Series 6) .

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by AndyP19
Yetizone posted:

Watched this documentary via the iPlayer last night and even though I’m not the biggest Roxy fan, it held my attention and made me want to explore more of their back catalogue. Not the most in depth doc, but a decent balance of well known muso talking heads (Shaun Ryder looking a little rough and Gas Coombes wearing a fetching shirt!) plus obligatory archive footage. Worth a watch. 

It was nice to see that Sadie Frost knew her stuff on Roxy.

The Shaun Ryder clip with Alan Mcgee is taken from https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bn6xl4 which shows Shaun to be surprising articulate and a very good watch.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Christopher_M
Drikus posted:
Drikus posted:

Seems like Adam has some Naim kit and Focal speakers in his flat  (episode 4 of Series 6) .

But how the lack of a rack rankles, eh!

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:
Drikus posted:
Drikus posted:

And a pair of Focal Electra 1007be or 1008be speakers.  And like a rack, they could do with dedicated stands. 

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Yetizone
AndyP19 posted:
Yetizone posted:

The Shaun Ryder clip with Alan Mcgee is taken from https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bn6xl4 which shows Shaun to be surprising articulate and a very good watch.

Yes, Shaun R was very lucid in the clips shown. Surprising considering his alleged substance consumption over the years! Link not working BTW Andy?

Agree, Sadie Frost came across as a knowledgeable fan of the band.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by AndyP19
Yetizone posted:
AndyP19 posted:
Yetizone posted:

Yes, Shaun R was very lucid in the clips shown. Surprising considering his alleged substance consumption over the years! Link not working BTW Andy?

Agree, Sadie Frost came across as a knowledgeable fan of the band.

Sorry about the link looks like the programme may have dropped off the iplayer viewing list. It was called Indie & Beyond with Shaun Ryder and Alan McGee.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Yetizone

Ah, a pity. Missed that programme - would have been interesting to see his comments in the context of the other doc.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Going to see the 2nd tomorrow in the cinema...

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Richard Dane
Christopher_M posted:
Drikus posted:
Drikus posted:

Never mind the lack of a rack Chris, by the look of it they're not even switched on!

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Kevin-W

A few turgid moments here, but hell, he's the world's greatest living axeman, and some of the playing - especially on "The Blue" is spine-tinglingly sublime.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Yetizone

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Streamed via Netflix.

Always good to have a new Coen Brothers film. This morality anthology is a rather mixed affair, some stores are compelling and leave you wanting more, a couple drag a little. Par for the format I guess. As ever, there’s the Coen pitch black humour, sharp dialogue and brilliant cast. Every landscape scene is beautifully captured in homage to the Western movie greats. Fun identifying cowboy movie references too. Also interesting to spot the famous singer - I had no idea who the actor was until he started singing. The period appropriate chapter heading illustrations (Gregory Manchess) were also a joy to see being used so effectively.

Recommended for Coen & Western fans.