Rugby World Cup

Posted by: redeye on 05 October 2003

Less than a week to go Smile

This thread should give the English members of the forum a chance to 'bang on' about how wonderful their team is before the All Blacks have to burst the bubble by soundly kicking England's bum Wink

Any Australians on this forum??

red
Posted on: 05 October 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
Being favourites for a major sporting title does not suit the English mentality at all. I'd feel far more bullish supporting a team of plucky underdogs. Instead I'm just a bit nervous that the team will not deliver. The other nations know this all very well, making us favourites is a very good idea-the 'bubble' is largely of others making.

It would be ideal to lose to Georgia and Outer Mongolia, then blow S Africa off the park but be eliminated in the last kick of a sudden death drop-out competition. This is a scenario I feel more comfortable with. I state this now so that when we lift the trophy in a month you will appreciate that I'm not actually enjoying it at all.

Bruce
Posted on: 06 October 2003 by redeye
Ah yes...the proud history of English teams as gallant losers. Talk about being nobbled by your own subconscience.

Seriously, England are the only team good enough to upset the applecart for the AB's. If Eng get it right and Spencer (in particular) has a 'blonde moment' at the wrong time then I fear we could be in **Deep Shit**

Australia to make the semis, but no more.
South Africa to suck.
France to be woeful with moments of incandescent brilliance.
Wales...don't make me laugh
Ireland..last 4 (maybe)
Samoa/Fiji...win many hearts but f**k all else

Simple really
Posted on: 06 October 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
quote:
Talk about being nobbled by your own subconscience.

...as long as we are not nobbled by the old sub-continent!

Bruce
Posted on: 06 October 2003 by matthewr
I predict that England will lose in a shock semi-final defeat to Austrailia by 14 Egg Chasing points to 12

New Zealand will be heavily favourved in the final after an expansive demolishing of the Irish only to trip over their own hubris and lose painfully to the Aussies on a controvertial late penalty try .

That's assuming the draw works out that way. Otherwise England will romp home by a mile as frankly no other team in the tournament is in their class.

Matthew

PS During the making Addidas adverts with Johnny Wilkinson and Beckham, apparently Wilkinson was really, really good at the free kicks and the ones shown where he hits the top corner are far from flukes.
Posted on: 06 October 2003 by andy c
I'm sat quietly in a quiet corner letting y'all diss Englands chances,
'cos i think just for once we will win. (Like we have all bar once in the last 20 odd games i hasten to add - and that was a second team that lost against France)
Posted on: 06 October 2003 by redeye
Patrick

I'd probably give Dallaglio a black jersey but only as cover for Jerry Collins Razz

As to the rest..Cheers, but we're good here.

red
Posted on: 10 October 2003 by redeye
Bump. I'll keep this one close to the top if you fellows don't mind Cool

Although unless England are playing I get the feeling that most here couldn't give a toss.

Aussies off to a winning start..those who discount them retaining the trophy be warned. That wasn't bad for a first game.

There really aren't many Australians on this forum are there? Seem to be more Kiwis (a good thing Smile)

red
Posted on: 11 October 2003 by Bhoyo
quote:
Originally posted by redeye:
Although unless England are playing I get the feeling that most here couldn't give a toss.

Unless England are losing I couldn't give a toss.

Davie
Posted on: 12 October 2003 by bazz
Redeye, there are a few Aussies here. Don't really follow the rugger too closely myself, but England did look very impressive when they were here in June, even allowing that we have slipped lately. Fortunately, they can be relied on to dog it when the big moment arrives, so shouldn't be too much of a threat.

Just so long as the dreary black clad animal husbands don't do it. That would be a real baaaaaastard.
Posted on: 12 October 2003 by Steve G
I've only watched the France v Fiji game so far but that was quite enjoyable for much of the time, although Fiji ran out of steam in the end.
Posted on: 13 October 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
Sounds a bit patronising given the score but real credit to Georgia, really competed for the full 80mins. Made it a very useful work out for a lot of players. Roll on S Africa now!

Bruce
Posted on: 13 October 2003 by andy c
Have watched most of all of the games so far, and the England team look by far the physically fittest of em all. I just hope Cohen and wilko don't get cropped by the south afrikaans...
I'll have to send the boys round if they do...lol
Posted on: 13 October 2003 by Steve G
quote:
Sadly you did well not to watch Scotland as we were crap.

I'm not looking forward to the Fiji game at all.

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 15 October 2003 by Geofiz
Oh I have a feeling that the All Blacks will have a rather exclusive oppourtunity to further roll up the score on Friday when they take on a rather lack-lustre Canadian entry. Last time they met I believe it was a 74 point difference. Anyone care to speculate on what the current drubbing will be?

Anyone think that an All Black - English match-up can have some of that magic and spark that was witnessed in the match-ups of the late 70's should it happen?
Posted on: 18 October 2003 by andy c
Phew,
I've lost my vioce shouting at the TV during the 1st half of the England v South afrikaans match. Glad their kicker had an off day!
Second half was much better, and the theme of not conceding a try is still good...
Just hope the maestro that is Wilko doesn't get injured, and that Nike supply them with better shirts that don't rip.... Big Grin
Posted on: 18 October 2003 by andy c
Patrick,
agree with you that game will be a must watch...
I just worry about the potential French Banana skin in the semi's!
Posted on: 18 October 2003 by redeye
Steady on there Patrick! Wink

Wilkinson was superb. Considering how motivated SA were I thought Eng did very well to deny them.
On tv here before the game they played some highlights from Eng's performance in the 99 World Cup. Nothing short of bloody amazing how much bigger/fitter and more mobile the forward pack is this time. Their conditioning is top drawer.
You have a very shrewd coach there...

Colour me impressed.

red

ps...FYI, we HAVE a goal kicker now Razz
Posted on: 20 October 2003 by andy c
Whats worrying me is I'm getting used to an England national team winning at a particular sport! I 'expect' them to win every time they play...gulp.
Posted on: 20 October 2003 by Kevin-W
I was hoping we (ie England) would not do well so that rugby would be consigned to the minority sport oblivion it so richly deserves; but it looks like we are, so the media will continue to shove this so-called "sport" down our throats and even bigger herds of great gallumphing public schoolboys and yuppies (accompanied by their simpering girlfriends) will block the streets and clog up the pubs.

I couldn't get a drink anywhere on Saturday afternoon because of hordes of oafish "rugger" fans.

Rugby, bunch of arse mate

Love

Kevin
Posted on: 20 October 2003 by andy c
Kevin,
don't hold back matey - say what u think!
Posted on: 20 October 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
Rather herds of 'gallumphing schoolboys' than the roaming gangs of beetle-browed soccer thugs?

Or indeed their ill-disciplined 'heroes'.

If England succed in rasing the profile of Rugby Union then it might just become rather less a minority interest. Certainly where I live Rugby in all its form is not a solely middle-class preoccupation.

Bruce
Posted on: 20 October 2003 by Kevin-W
Quote from Bruce W

Rather herds of 'gallumphing schoolboys' than the roaming gangs of beetle-browed soccer thugs?

Bruce, I said "gallumphing public schoolboys" (there's a difference), but both "beetle-browed soccer [it's called football, by the way] thugs" and the aforementioned posh types operate in a manner that betrays a complete lack of sensitivity and regard for their environment. I know, I live in South-West London.

Anyway, the ony reason that egg-throwing has not been tainted with violence in the same way as footy has is because hardly anyone gives a shit. After all, who can get worked up about such a poxy game?

Kevin
I have a feeling our stereotypical Rugby and Association Football fans are equally inaccurate. Wink

What sport do you get passionate about? For me it would actually be cricket, which is of course supported only by retired army colonels with labradors.

Bruce
Posted on: 20 October 2003 by matthewr
"What sport do you get passionate about? For me it would actually be cricket"

Actually Cricket is as much as working class game as Football in the North of England and everyone I knew growing up watched football in the Winter and Cricket in the Summer. I am mildy surprised that this isn't obvious to you as a Yorkshireman Bruce given the glorious tradition of England finding its best fast bowlers working on Yorkshire coalfaces.

Rugby Union on the other hand is unquestionably a middle class south eastern game which is why it remains so ghettoised and unpopular (and why it has such a high media profile). Its mainly crap as well beaing largely a sequence of arcane infractions that only 4 people in the world actually understand (What the hell is "Shepherding" anyway?)

Matthew
Whisper it-I was actually born in Essex!

Rugby, cricket and football in Yorkshire (at least around here) is pretty classless in my experience. I play league cricket with a real mixture-and all the better for it. Many Rugby League fans around here also follow Union with enthusiasm.

Any views from Oz or NZ? I always understood that Rugby union in Australia was seen as a very poor relation of League (and Aussie rules etc).

Bruce

Bruce