ND5 XS 2 user review

Posted by: snowfoxx on 18 September 2018

Can't find any user review so far.

Any user care to share? Much appreciated! 

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by Olek_K

Even better if done together with xs2 amp would it sound better than uniti star for example? When I’m done with ripping my cds I could try this combination maybe...

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by damy79

I'm also interested in the new ND5XS2 to be compared to the NDX2. I have to connect it to a SN2 and I should decide to take apart my CDX2 for a new streamer or not 

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by ChrisH

I went to an Open Day at Music Matters in Birmingham on Saturday where the NDX2 was being put through its paces.

They also had an ND5XS2 /SN2 combo playing through Dynaudio standmounts. I have to say it sounded really great, I think it is punching way above its place in the new streaming range. Both the NDX2 and the ND5XS2 had only come out of Salisbury the day before so they will undoubtedly sound even better now than when I heard them.

Difficult to compare the 2 systems as they were completely different set ups in different rooms, and the NDX2 did sound far better, you will see why when you read what it was partnered with...

Here is a link to my post from the weekend in the NDX2 thread:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...40#77033102965149940

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Interesting about ND5XS2, in discussing with Naim a little while back the impression was that it’s sonic performance would be very special and at a very high level indeed given the SQ sapping display components used in the NDX2 and ND555 have been removed. It therefore also allows them to concentrate on SQ for the price rather than other things.... perhaps in my words, more for the audio enthusiast rather than the lifestyle enthusiast?

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by Sloop John B
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Interesting about ND5XS2, in discussing with Naim a little while back the impression was that it’s sonic performance would be very special and at a very high level indeed given the SQ sapping display components used in the NDX2 and ND555 have been removed. It therefore also allows them to concentrate on SQ for the price rather than other things.... perhaps in my words, more for the audio enthusiast rather than the lifestyle enthusiast?

Fascinating- ND5XS2 - the no compromise streamer. 

.sjb

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by james n
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Yes. This should be an interesting one in the range on price vs performance. Given Naim's issues with display failures in the past, it's one less thing to go wrong too which should vouch well for the longevity of the product.

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Interior design is more important to me than sound quality - but close to each other, and for me the absence of a display component is a pre. Also, the display components seems to be the weakest spot of many NAIM Products over the last years.

I always found the cd5xs a very good pairing to the SN(2), I have good hope that the ND5XS2 will also pair nicely to the integrated amps.

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by hungryhalibut

The screen seems rather pointless to me, given that the app is used to control everything. The more discreet the system is the better, and if I ever have a new platform streamer I’d leave the screen turned off. The great big colour screen is a bit too bling. 

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by David Hendon

I suspect we haven't seen any user reviews of ND5 XS2 yet because Naim have barely started shipping them yet. 

Best

David

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by dave marshall

Couldn't agree more, as the screens are generally unreadable at usual listening distances anyway.

My HDX and NDS both ran with the screens turned off, as I much prefer the "darkened" approach when listening seriously.

Mind you, given the occasional flakiness of the Naim app, we probably do need to have them if looking at changing settings on the unit.

As for the screen on my new streamer, well I guess I'm showing my age somewhat in describing it as a bit too much "lifestyle" for me.

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by ChrisSU

The problem with the new streamers (at least the Unitis) is that you can’t turn the screen off! For anyone who has one close to a TV this is particularly distracting. ND5XS2 is on my radar as a possible upgrade (?) to my NDX, as I now run it with an offboard DAC. The app will need to be rock solid though, as no screen = no remote, so if your app doesn’t behave, you’re stuffed. 

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by dave marshall
ChrisSU posted:

The problem with the new streamers (at least the Unitis) is that you can’t turn the screen off! For anyone who has one close to a TV this is particularly distracting. ND5XS2 is on my radar as a possible upgrade (?) to my NDX, as I now run it with an offboard DAC. The app will need to be rock solid though, as no screen = no remote, so if your app doesn’t behave, you’re stuffed. 

Both the display screen and the buttons can be turned off on the ND555, thank goodness!

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by ChrisSU
dave marshall posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Both the display screen and the buttons can be turned off on the ND555, thank goodness!

Some of us whinged about the Uniti screens, so hopefully Naim were listening! 

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by Christopher_M
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

.... perhaps in my words, [the ND5 XS2 is] more for the audio enthusiast rather than the lifestyle enthusiast?

Pwwooff!! There goes your Christmas card from the marketing department, Simon!

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by ChrisH
David Hendon posted:

I suspect we haven't seen any user reviews of ND5 XS2 yet because Naim have barely started shipping them yet. 

Best

David

Indeed [@mention:46478588067265635] , the guys at Music Matters told me the ND5XS2 they were demoing was virtually one of the first out the door....

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by Obsydian
dave marshall posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Does it offer any SQ improvement, as we have always been told at least with the Uniti Range allot of effort was required to get back to SQ = without display.

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

I believe I remember them saying it does as the display electronics are powered off, even though in the latest devices much effort and cost went into the design to minimise the impact... displays and their driving electronics can be rather electrically noisy things simply by the large amount of switching they need to do.

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by Obsydian

Wonder if someone can DIY and we just get our display disconnected all together, shame the option to switch off never made it to the Uniti line.

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

I always believed that the mark 1 ND5XS was a better player than many gave it credit for and will be a real steal on the used market now that the NDX2,ND5XS are released. 

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by French Rooster

For around 1k more, you can find a second hand nds, already a bit better than the new ndx2 ( cf ndx2 thread).   I know 1 k is 1k, but the gap in sound quality is probably big.

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by analogmusic

Not sure why a display is mandatory 

the linn kds doesn’t have one.

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by David Hendon
French Rooster posted:

For around 1k more, you can find a second hand nds, already a bit better than the new ndx2 ( cf ndx2 thread).   I know 1 k is 1k, but the gap in sound quality is probably big.

It's not quite that simple because you can use the ND5 XS with its in-built power supply, whereas if you spend 1K more on an NDS you have to buy a power supply too. Incidentally the ND5XS2 doesn't allow for an external power supply.

best

David

Posted on: 19 September 2018 by French Rooster
David Hendon posted:
French Rooster posted:

It's not quite that simple because you can use the ND5 XS with its in-built power supply, whereas if you spend 1K more on an NDS you have to buy a power supply too. Incidentally the ND5XS2 doesn't allow for an external power supply.

best

David

Yes, I answered too quickly.  You must add effectively, at minimum, a second hand xps, so 1k more.   I forgot the fact that the nd5xs2 doesn’t need additional ps.    

Posted on: 20 September 2018 by Mr Bungle

I'm also interested in ND5 XS 2, although I would have preferred to have some buttons on the fascia rather than have to solely rely on an app.

Is their an actual official release date for the unit? Or does it just filter out to dealers as and when?

Posted on: 20 September 2018 by Dan.S

I think SN2 + ND5XS2 will become very popular.