What has been your best tweak or upgrade in 2018?

Posted by: Jonners on 23 December 2018

I joined this forum in the Summer having owned my Naim-based system for the best part of 12 years with no changes. Spurred on by opinion and advice on this Forum I have undertaken a series of upgrades and tweaks, some of which have made a huge difference and some, very little. As we near the end of 2018 I am wondering what purchases or tweaks you've made this year and which made the most difference.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Fabio 1

My new 282 replacing my old 202:amazing.ND5XS and a new rack, Custom Design Milan 10 Reference.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by nigelb
Fabio 1 posted:

My new 282 replacing my old 202:amazing.ND5XS and a new rack, Custom Design Milan 10 Reference.

I still remember the thrill from moving from my 202 up to a 282.

It was then I really started to appreciate this Naim thing.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Jonners
JohnnyTT posted:

Happy new year all!!

My "upgrade" was only because I had to, due to a change of room. I needed to move from towers to bookshelves that were up against a wall. After months of in-store and in-home demos... I ended up with Guru Audio Q10's. These little guys fight well above their weight class. For my situation, I couldn't be happier. 

Now the "probem" is I'm listening to music more again and am starting to get the upgrade bug for electronics. 

I'll make a new post for a very eye opening home demo I just did this past weekend. 

I'm very intrigued by the Gurus myself but there is no longer a UK dealer, well there is a UK dealer advertising Guru but there's not any "official" one on the website so how one goes about demo'ing any is anyone's guess. There's a nice looking white pair up for sale on Fleabay but I ain't gonna take the risk without a home trial first.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by JohnnyTT
Jonners posted:
JohnnyTT posted:

Happy new year all!!

My "upgrade" was only because I had to, due to a change of room. I needed to move from towers to bookshelves that were up against a wall. After months of in-store and in-home demos... I ended up with Guru Audio Q10's. These little guys fight well above their weight class. For my situation, I couldn't be happier. 

Now the "probem" is I'm listening to music more again and am starting to get the upgrade bug for electronics. 

I'll make a new post for a very eye opening home demo I just did this past weekend. 

I'm very intrigued by the Gurus myself but there is no longer a UK dealer, well there is a UK dealer advertising Guru but there's not any "official" one on the website so how one goes about demo'ing any is anyone's guess. There's a nice looking white pair up for sale on Fleabay but I ain't gonna take the risk without a home trial first.

I'm in the states. There are no dealers here either. I spoke to Erik at guru directly and he said would cover return shipping. I still was hesitant.

Well, my wife and I were the room when we first ran them. Both looked at each other and said "holy $h1t." I was happy and relieved. I demoed 10 speakers and these were perfect for my need to be within a few inches of the wall. 

If you're in the same boat, go for it. If you can go farther away from a wall... I can't give you any feedback, don't have stands. 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Svetty
Stevie Bart posted:

Absolutely transformed my system this year and its now really magical - by:-

1. Replacing Musical fidelity M6i amp with Arcam A49
  2. Replacing Spendor D7 speakers with PMC Twenty26's
  3. Replacing NDX with NDX2.

I have been thinking about auditioning the D7s. Can you elaborate on why you replaced them?

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by leni v

Did you try the d9.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Stevie Bart

Hi guys

Embarassing really, had a party and damaged the cones on th D7s by playing too loud. Borrowed the PMC's whilst they were being repaired and fell in love with them; even wifey liked them. Didn't audition the D9's.

I find that the PMCs have a tighter base and a much better 3D sound stage. Also the timbre of musical instruments seems to be more realistic.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by solwisesteve

Interesting about the PMC Twenty/26s since this is on the short list for new speakers. Local dealer has them for £4K which sounds a good deal.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Stevie Bart

Yes Solwisesteve, there are some good deals around as the TwentyFive 26s are now out.

Daren't listen to these though - just in case GAS kicks in and empties my bank account (Gear Aquisition Syndrome ).