What has been your best tweak or upgrade in 2018?

Posted by: Jonners on 23 December 2018

I joined this forum in the Summer having owned my Naim-based system for the best part of 12 years with no changes. Spurred on by opinion and advice on this Forum I have undertaken a series of upgrades and tweaks, some of which have made a huge difference and some, very little. As we near the end of 2018 I am wondering what purchases or tweaks you've made this year and which made the most difference.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Jonners
ct posted:

Just like a previous poster, swapping out my black boxes for olive ones may have seemed a downgrade but combined with the step back to playing CDs from streaming i couldn't be happier....

......although I daresay the SBLs which replaced ATC SCM11s are playing a part in that

Interesting ct. I was considering jacking my CDX2 in for a streamer but have decided to stay put as well. I get the science as to why streaming is better (CD's have lots of error correction for example), but one's ears don't lie - well maybe mine do as I have lost the ability to hear loud and high frequencies due to a lifetime of playing in loud bands.

A speaker upgrade is on the cards next year from my already very good Dynaudio Contour standmounters and I am intrigued by the SBLs which everybody seems to love. Finding some to demo is the challenge though, it won't be possible.

Jonners posted:
Bob the Builder posted.

Tiger Paw will sell you the board from their Vulcan wall shelves for £29.99 probably expensive for a piece of board but it was a definite improvement over the glass that came with my custom design shelf.

Ah, that's interesting - I'll have a measure up and if it'll work (my shelf is a Project "Wall-Mount It 5) and I expect the inevitable call to Cymbiosis will no doubt follow! Don't know if the Trampolin on the LP12 makes a difference to the support material but who knows. Funny the CDX2 loves glass over wood whereas those in the know seem to eschew it for wood or granite when it comes to the LP12.

Actually - now I've looked at the pictures of the Vulkan which feature an LP12 with a standard baseboard, the feet sit directly above the spikes underneath the baseboard whereas with the Trampolin, the feet are further in and that's what seems to cause the board to warp. Well, that's the only thing I can see as to why it's happened. The board which came with the Project shelf I use is 10mm so looks about the same as the Vulkan?

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by ursus262

I had my Uniti 1 upgraded with the new DAC board and changed my NAP200 for a NAP250DR.  I'm very pleased with the result too, despite the scepticism from the advice I got at the time

There is something wonderful about my system now.  It is an absolutely joy to listen to.  It was only this morning that I said to my other half that if I ran out of money, the car would go before the hi fi

This coming year, I want to do two things -

a) get a decent NAS server, and,

b) contemplate getting a new pair of speakers

Regarding the speakers, I do actually love my Monitor Audio RS6s which were highly regarded when they first came out, but I am contemplating changing them and am looking to audition a few pairs. Candidates include: MA Silver 200s; the smaller Neats; Kralk Audio TDB range; Russel K Red 120s and perhaps something from Focal.  Anyone got any thoughts on this?

I wish everyone a very happy and peaceful Christmas and a great New Year.

Dave

Jason posted:

Finally, couldn't resist the opportunity to try a Witchhat DIN to XLR when I saw one come up secondhand, so that completed the system changes for 2018.

2019?.. Well certainly nothing significant after all that! May have a dabble with cabling, particularly the corresponding Witchhat cables to take the signal from pre to supercap and see what that does.

Happy Christmas to all.

Yep - I swapped out a Chord Shawline for a cheaper WH between my Aria Phono stage and 282, the result caused me to swap out all my other interconnects for WH Source cables and Chord Epic speaker cable for Phantom. WH make cables which are sympathetic to the Naim sound whilst delivering an element of refinement (to my ears) without sacrificing dynamics. Not a big improvement over the Chord but certainly better and they're really well priced to boot.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by ct
Jonners posted:
ct posted:

Just like a previous poster, swapping out my black boxes for olive ones may have seemed a downgrade but combined with the step back to playing CDs from streaming i couldn't be happier....

......although I daresay the SBLs which replaced ATC SCM11s are playing a part in that

Interesting ct. I was considering jacking my CDX2 in for a streamer but have decided to stay put as well. I get the science as to why streaming is better (CD's have lots of error correction for example), but one's ears don't lie - well maybe mine do as I have lost the ability to hear loud and high frequencies due to a lifetime of playing in loud bands.

A speaker upgrade is on the cards next year from my already very good Dynaudio Contour standmounters and I am intrigued by the SBLs which everybody seems to love. Finding some to demo is the challenge though, it won't be possible.

I really liked the detail my old setup used to reveal but found it a little lacking in some hard to describe area and then I realised I had started to listen to hifi rather than to music. Once sold I considered a few alternatives, and almost plumped for Devialet but then returned to a system I had many years ago (72/180) with great results. A few tweaks have followed since then but I'm very happy with the results.

The speakers were a bit of a leap of faith but when a maple pair came up (I had only seen black or darker finishes previously) I decided to take a calculated risk. The speakers never seem to stick around for long and the same ones don't seem to reappear quickly after being sold so i figured it was worth a try and the worst case scenario was selling them on for what they cost me later....

....not planning that at the moment though

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by GregWPGibbs

My most surprising upgrade ever was made this year, when I purchase a previously owned pair of Kudos C20s from Signals to go with my Uniti Star. They were intended as a stop-gap until I could afford something better, but the more I listen to the combo, the more I want to keep them. 

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by ROOG

House move prompted lots of changes to my system in 2018, now I can turn it up! First change were the speakers from PMC 2021's to ATC SCM40's

speaker cable to NAC A5, seemed to add a bit more bass, ( may be looking to change these soon in order to curb bass! )

NAP 300, then service and DR upgrade, (well worthwhile)

added Fraim, (not sure if this improved the sound) but it looks nice.

so I am all spent out for 2018 and still I am in need of a better front end, so on the look out for a pre amp first  in the new year, any ideas? 

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Chris G

Added Chord Qutest dac - which tightened the bass from my ageing Kef speakers, which are probably next to be replaced.  The Chord is great for classical music, with, to my ears, a more detailed sound stage.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Hanumike

Changed my LS50’s for a pair of Neat Motive XS2 and was well pleased with the improvements but the biggest addition was the purchase of a second hand NDac for my CD5 XS, my CD player now sounds as good as my LP12 so no more upgrades for me for a while.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by antony d
Jonners posted:
antony d posted:

in my system this year no question the DR on my 300 and some rather larger "tweeks" on my LP12

what were the LP12 tweaks antony d? I swapped out the mdf board of the wallmounted shelf it had been perched on for a piece of 6mm glass with quite startling results.

• Lingo 4
  • khan top plate
  • cirkus
  • kore
  • tranqulity
  • trampolin 2
  • DV20

it wa more of let's start again, but boy the results are off the scale play 95% vinyl now thanks to @@cymbiosis 

antony d posted:
  • Lingo 4
  • khan top plate
  • cirkus
  • kore
  • tranqulity
  • trampolin 2
  • DV20

it wa more of let's start again, but boy the results are off the scale play 95% vinyl now thanks to @@cymbiosis 

Peter is a legend isn't he? I originally popped along in the Summer with the intention of buying an ex-demo Rega. 2 hours later I was ordering an LP12 fashioned from a mixture of new and used parts to suit my budget. Double the money I was going to spend (and a bit more) but I don't regret it for a minute. I'd upgraded it even before he'd finished building it with a Trampolin 2! I subsequently flogged my Stageline for an ex-demo Rega Aria Cymbiosis had up on their website, took it to another level. I'm guessing the Lingo made the most noticeable improvement? As it's Linn, it comes at a price though!

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Jonn

Peter is a salesman isn't he ?

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Huge

Sertraline - offsetting the stress and anxiety cause by the way I'm being treated by one sector of the NHS (or rather not being treated due to a 6+ year waiting list).

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by achique99

My upgrades this year: -

1. A used 250.2 upraded to DR replacing 155XS
  2. SCDR added into my active system, leaving FCXS unused
  3. Ekos SE replacing black ittok
  4. Urika replacing stageline, using Shawline RCA-Din

The last two were done only 2 weeks ago with a huge sounding improvement, more weight to the bass, bigger soundstage. Thank you to Peter [@mention:1566878603906177] again to made these happened. 

Cheers and happy new year!!!

Jonn posted:

Peter is a salesman isn't he ?

Well, he's certainly doing something right if he's able to run a fleet of exotic motors!

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Popeye

Totem Sky Towers, HiCap DR and HiLine to my NDX/Supernait2. 

Very happy. 

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Mike-B
ROOG posted:

House move prompted lots of changes to my system in 2018, now I can turn it up! First change were the speakers from PMC 2021's to ATC SCM40's

Snap  -  OK nearly a snap.     A pending house move has all my upgrade plans on hold:

I'm more or less sold on ATC SCM40'A'.     That'll go with a new pre-streamer if a 572 is ever produced or it'll be a NDX2 + 252.   My trusty old NAT-05 will be a keeper just as long as we have a decent FM service.   

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Robert Burgess

Upgraded speakers to the new Magico a3's and added a "pre-loved" 555PS DR for my 272 streamer/pre-amp. While the speaker up-grade was very good, the 555PS was simply stunning!! Nothing more is planned, but if Naim releases a replacement for the 272.......

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Jonn

Made a straight swap  trade in of my LP12 and NDS for a ND555. The ND555 takes it to another level sound wise.

Having been locked into the LP12 over-priced upgrade path for more years than I care to remember it was a relief to let it go to be honest.

The LP12 was replaced by an ex-demo Well Tempered Simplex, Dynavector DV 20X2 and P75 Mk4 for <£2000 which much to my surprise out performs the nearly ten times more expensive LP12 in terms of musicality.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by T38.45

1. Cisco 2960

2. Innuos running roon, replacing qnap

3. Sarum streaming cable (still in for test)

4. ND555 (ok, that was the easy one replacing my LP12+LPs)

have all a fantastic christmas and a peaceful new year !

ralf

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by ameden

some changes over 2018...new stuff-

552DR

SCM40's + WH Phantom cable (plus re-site to long wall)

Roksan RPM PSU

(Rack downsize/rebuild/cable dressing)

and last but definitely not least..BT Smart Hub2 + WiFi discs...big improvement in terms of stability, speed, and WiFi coverage

Merry Christmas to All !

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by bongoman

Many changes too over 2018..

New stuff:

NDX2

Uniti Core

SuperCap DR

250DR

ATC SCM 19 v2

Mu-so

SL interconnect & SL DIN - XLR

Tellurium Q Ultra Black speaker cable & jumpers 

All sounding wonderful!

Merry Christmas & happy listening to all

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

This year I’ve added a SC to my 282 and 555 to my CDS3.  All brilliant, but best move getting a Qb - tried all manner of new music.   

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Christopher_M

The replacement of a Naim integrated with a NAC152XS and NAP155XS. Super sound.

Oh, and there's a new cartridge too in case anyone missed it

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by varyat

Focus was on the front end in 2018...

Nifty Javelin arm top , Lyra Etna SL , Tron Seven Ultimate directing the show. Thrilling result

ATB,

Mark