What has been your best tweak or upgrade in 2018?

Posted by: Jonners on 23 December 2018

I joined this forum in the Summer having owned my Naim-based system for the best part of 12 years with no changes. Spurred on by opinion and advice on this Forum I have undertaken a series of upgrades and tweaks, some of which have made a huge difference and some, very little. As we near the end of 2018 I am wondering what purchases or tweaks you've made this year and which made the most difference.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Tony Lockhart

After 20 or so years, yesterday I finally got round to swapping boxes round, putting my CD player on the second shelf down, pre on the top. I’m pretty sure it sounds better in all sorts of ways. 

Thatll do me til 2040. 

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Bailyhill
nigelb posted:
Bailyhill posted:
Chag... posted:

Hi Bailyhill;

When was the DC 47 made available? I have never heard of it. How is the remote powered? ????

Chag -

Hello Chag

Sorry for the late reply, I have been driving all day and unable to reply.  

I bought mine about 3 months ago.  If you google on Townshend Audio, you will come up with the distributor in Long Beach, Calif.  Are you in USA?  Dan there can provide you with more details.  If not, the Max and Townshend audio is the best contact.  The only power to the unit is via a 14 vdc external brick which powers the remote--the hand controller is an Apple remote.  No other functions powered in the unit.  Its pretty much a limited, special order unit.  I use only a streamer and so did not need a selector switch, as my streamer does that for me.  I have only a Uniti Core, USB downloads, Tidal, and Internet Radio which I select from my ND555.  Hope this helps.

Bailyhill

I don't mean to spoil the party, but have you chaps even tried a 552. Best upgrade for me in 2018.

As it is now 2019, I could of course be behind the times.

Just saying.

Hello Nigel

Thanks for the suggestion.  For me, it was either go for the ND555/PSU555 to replace my NDX or keep the NDX and try the 552.  I think the SQ of the way I went is way better than the other way around.  I have not been convinced of the need to spend 552 kind of money for a volume control.  I basically stream, do no vinyl, so the preamp is a little different importance to me.   The other function of a preamp for me is to select the source--and the ND555 does that nicely.  I have a couple of passions going, so have to watch it a bit.  Perhaps when my next ship comes in I will audition the 552/PSU555 versus the Townshend DC47.  It would be an interesting comparison.  One other constraint is the use of the Apogee Scintillas, which are one ohm impedance.  That dictates the power amp, and Naim did not recommend using their amps for that use--so that eliminates the DIN to Power Amp connection that Naim tends to use.  

I really hope that in 2019 I get the chance to audition a 552.  Your posts about your experience did not go unnoticed by me.  

Bailyhill

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by nigelb
Bailyhill posted:
nigelb posted:
Bailyhill posted:
Chag... posted:

Hi Bailyhill;

When was the DC 47 made available? I have never heard of it. How is the remote powered? ????

Chag -

Hello Chag

Sorry for the late reply, I have been driving all day and unable to reply.  

I bought mine about 3 months ago.  If you google on Townshend Audio, you will come up with the distributor in Long Beach, Calif.  Are you in USA?  Dan there can provide you with more details.  If not, the Max and Townshend audio is the best contact.  The only power to the unit is via a 14 vdc external brick which powers the remote--the hand controller is an Apple remote.  No other functions powered in the unit.  Its pretty much a limited, special order unit.  I use only a streamer and so did not need a selector switch, as my streamer does that for me.  I have only a Uniti Core, USB downloads, Tidal, and Internet Radio which I select from my ND555.  Hope this helps.

Bailyhill

I don't mean to spoil the party, but have you chaps even tried a 552. Best upgrade for me in 2018.

As it is now 2019, I could of course be behind the times.

Just saying.

Hello Nigel

Thanks for the suggestion.  For me, it was either go for the ND555/PSU555 to replace my NDX or keep the NDX and try the 552.  I think the SQ of the way I went is way better than the other way around.  I have not been convinced of the need to spend 552 kind of money for a volume control.  I basically stream, do no vinyl, so the preamp is a little different importance to me.   The other function of a preamp for me is to select the source--and the ND555 does that nicely.  I have a couple of passions going, so have to watch it a bit.  Perhaps when my next ship comes in I will audition the 552/PSU555 versus the Townshend DC47.  It would be an interesting comparison.  One other constraint is the use of the Apogee Scintillas, which are one ohm impedance.  That dictates the power amp, and Naim did not recommend using their amps for that use--so that eliminates the DIN to Power Amp connection that Naim tends to use.  

I really hope that in 2019 I get the chance to audition a 552.  Your posts about your experience did not go unnoticed by me.  

Bailyhill

Ah....that now makes more sense and I missed the fact that you have to use a non Naim power amp for your very tough speaker load. The 552 only makes real sense when paired with a Naim power amp, so I suggest you have indeed gone the right route. You of course still get the benefit from the superb ND555.

All the best to you and happy new year.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Gazza

I have to say I have a lot of sympathy for the comment by @bailyhill about buying a preamp with 5 or 6 inputs when I will only use one. I did try the Chord Dave direct into NAP 300, no good, but was not brave enough to try the Townsend preamp, and ended up with my 252. Perhaps Naim will take this on board as an option for reduced inputs for their new preamps. Not a rumour just a wish list item.

Good to-hear that @Nigelb is still delighted with the 552 purchase. I am waiting for the new range of preamps so I can pick up a good used 552 for a meagre few pounds.

Hi Gazza, still loving the 552, even makes Phil Collins sound good! I assume the ND555 is still delivering the sonic goods.

If you are waiting for new pre amps to pick up a cheap 552, then I think I will wait for new streamers so I can pick up a cheap ND555!

I wonder which will come first, new pre amps or new new streamers? You might just have a longer wait than me.

Happy new year to you and your family.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Clive B
nigelb posted:

Hi Gazza, still loving the 552, even makes Phil Collins sound good!

That must be some VERY special NAC552 you've got there, Nigel!

nigelb posted:

Hi Gazza, still loving the 552, even makes Phil Collins sound good! I assume the ND555 is still delivering the sonic goods.

If you are waiting for new pre amps to pick up a cheap 552, then I think I will wait for new streamers so I can pick up a cheap ND555!

I wonder which will come first, new pre amps or new new streamers? You might just have a longer wait than me.

Happy new year Nigel, life is too short to wait. Perhaps between us we can flush out the 2019 Naim product rumours. The ND 555 sounds great.....but back at square one in terms of burn in.....the one that went back sounded sublime, rather than very good. Though I never realised how good it had become.

i know I will eventually end up with a 552, I will look at endless options......and then just buy one.........but it’s part of the fun, hobby and musical enjoyment. There was a couple of Tommy Cooper documentaries over Xmas, loved them . After the royal command performance standing next to Tarby he asks the Queen, can I ask a question? Queen, of course, Tommy...do you like football, Queen....not really, Tommy........can I have your FA cup final tickets.

Class of his own.????

Gazza posted:
nigelb posted:

Happy new year Nigel, life is too short to wait. Perhaps between us we can flush out the 2019 Naim product rumours. The ND 555 sounds great.....but back at square one in terms of burn in.....the one that went back sounded sublime, rather than very good. Though I never realised how good it had become.

i know I will eventually end up with a 552, I will look at endless options......and then just buy one.........but it’s part of the fun, hobby and musical enjoyment. There was a couple of Tommy Cooper documentaries over Xmas, loved them . After the royal command performance standing next to Tarby he asks the Queen, can I ask a question? Queen, of course, Tommy...do you like football, Queen....not really, Tommy........can I have your FA cup final tickets.

Class of his own.????

Gazza, you probably have a better chance of picking up a pre loved 552 (as I did) than I do picking up a pre loved ND555!

You are proof that burn in exists having gone through it once with a ND555 and now hearing what ND555 sounds like out of the box immediately after. Indeed I still have a nagging feeling that when I did the dealer demo of NDS/552 vs ND555/252 (prior to the lengthy home demo), I was listening to a not fully burned in ND555. Anyway I am happy with the route I have taken and no doubt one day I will own a ND555.

I saw the Tommy Cooper documentry and hadn't realised that Tommy carefully planned and choreographed all the chaotic acts, even down to exactly where he would glance and what facial expressions he would pull at each point. His assistant also had to set up his tables very precisely before going on each show.

Classic chat with the Queen! A true genius.

Apologies to the OP for the slight diversion.

nigelb posted:
Gazza posted:
nigelb posted:

Class of his own.????

Gazza, you probably have a better chance of picking up a pre loved 552 (as I did) than I do picking up a pre loved ND555!

You are proof that burn in exists having gone through it once with a ND555 and now hearing what ND555 sounds like out of the box immediately after. Indeed I still have a nagging feeling that when I did the dealer demo of NDS/552 vs ND555/252 (prior to the lengthy home demo), I was listening to a not fully burned in ND555. Anyway I am happy with the route I have taken and no doubt one day I will own a ND555.

I saw the Tommy Cooper documentry and hadn't realised that Tommy carefully planned and choreographed all the chaotic acts, even down to exactly where he would glance and what facial expressions he would pull at each point. His assistant also had to set up his tables very precisely before going on each show.

Classic chat with the Queen! A true genius.

Apologies to the OP for the slight diversion.

Yes, the conversation with Debbie the wife of Paul Daniels(magician) was a bit of an eye opener, always though the made it up as the show went along.....wrong.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Plant Pot

“Best tweak or upgrade?” Easy - placing an Audioquest Cinnamon ethernet cable between the switch and 272.

All the more impressive as I have no idea how improving just one link in a chain can enhance things. 

The most cost effective and satisfying “upgrade” I can remember for a long time.

Happy new year everybody. 

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by Wiltshireman

I have had a really amazing year. Firstly I had a Tiger Paw "Tranquiity" fitted, so well worth it and not a lot of money either. Next came a Simon Price "Simplinth" fitted by Peter at Cymbiosis and while he was at it a "Dynavector 20X2" low output MC cartridge. The over all improvement was quite amazing (so too was the looks) but then a friend nigh on totally rebuilt 4 of my 6 power amps and that has totally changed things massively! For the first time in my life I have a sound that is awesome!  Sadly he did not have time to do the other 2 amps but will do those next year when he returns to the UK which will not be for about 10 months so a long wait but i know it will be worth it. Next I hope it will be a Kore but that will have to wait for a little while while I save my pennies up. 

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by nshntr

The best upgrade for the year 2018 was either swapping my NAC282 to NAC252, or LP12/Lingo II/Cirkus/Trampolin/Ittok LVII to LP12/Radikal Akurate/Keel/Ekos SE. Both tremendous upgrades from what already was a very nice system.

Posted on: 02 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Chag... posted:
Bailyhill posted:

Hello Chag

I forgot about the Townshend Allegri+ before the Townshend DC 47.  It is truly a game changer.  The DC 47 adds a remote control and more and smaller steps as well as other micro-phonics upgrade.  Its a one input and one output device, with no selector switch.  I use my ND555 to select inputs, so I don't need another selector switch.  I really appreciate all the Naim Forum posts about the importance of a preamp.

I plan to upgrade to the Fractal interconnects soon.  I assume that you went from the Allegri+ with RCA to your power amp with XLR's?  Did you consider the XLR's an upgrade even though it was not truly balanced?  Struggling with this very question right now.  Are you using the DIN or RCA output from the Naim device driving the Alegri+.  Thanks for any advice you can provide.  Seems like this topic has conflicting opinions.  

Hi Bailyhill;

I am sorry I haven’t responded to your post earlier. I have no clue of what may be or might have been a DC 47. As far as the RCA>XLR I/Cs, I have no element of comparison. I had to have Max assemble new I/Cs for the Allegri+ as the originals are Naim specific DIN4>XLR.

As far as the source I/C is concerned, I am still using a Hi-Line RCA>DIN connected in reverse between the NDS and the Allegri+.  ????

Chag -

[@mention:13393020358083741] [@mention:76328488954305491] If you don’t mind me asking, how did you have the Allegri set up, and did you try it with a Naim power amp? 

I ask because I have an Allegri+ which I’ve been running with an NDX/Hugo front end, and I was hoping it might help me reduce box count a bit by replacing my 282.  My impression so far is that the 282 is better, and the Allegri by comparison sound a little veiled, with less clarity, kind of the opposite of what I was expecting, given its reputation for great transparency. I’m prepared to persist a little longer if needs be, to try and get the best out of the Allegri, but if I can’t get it sounding better than it does now, the 282 will be staying. 

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Stevie Bart

Absolutely transformed my system this year and its now really magical - by:-

1. Replacing Musical fidelity M6i amp with Arcam A49
  2. Replacing Spendor D7 speakers with PMC Twenty26's
  3. Replacing NDX with NDX2.
Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Massimo Bertola

My only upgrade has been trading in the SuperNait for a NaitXS-2. Now the S-400s have the voice I expected from then since ages, and the CDX2.2 can show all its qualities without any need of an external PSU. A matter of balance. But I am well aware that the concept of upgrade, the average forum member and his idea of level, performance and costs have changed a lot in the last couple of years, so my upgrade risks looking like changing the table radio I keep on the kitchen counter...

If it's about music, that was my only and best upgrade. If it's about pics of who's got it bigger, sorry I'm out of the game.

M.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Massimo Bertola

I expected from them.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Bailyhill
ChrisSU posted:
Chag... posted:
Bailyhill posted:

Hello Chag

I forgot about the Townshend Allegri+ before the Townshend DC 47.  It is truly a game changer.  The DC 47 adds a remote control and more and smaller steps as well as other micro-phonics upgrade.  Its a one input and one output device, with no selector switch.  I use my ND555 to select inputs, so I don't need another selector switch.  I really appreciate all the Naim Forum posts about the importance of a preamp.

I plan to upgrade to the Fractal interconnects soon.  I assume that you went from the Allegri+ with RCA to your power amp with XLR's?  Did you consider the XLR's an upgrade even though it was not truly balanced?  Struggling with this very question right now.  Are you using the DIN or RCA output from the Naim device driving the Alegri+.  Thanks for any advice you can provide.  Seems like this topic has conflicting opinions.  

Hi Bailyhill;

I am sorry I haven’t responded to your post earlier. I have no clue of what may be or might have been a DC 47. As far as the RCA>XLR I/Cs, I have no element of comparison. I had to have Max assemble new I/Cs for the Allegri+ as the originals are Naim specific DIN4>XLR.

As far as the source I/C is concerned, I am still using a Hi-Line RCA>DIN connected in reverse between the NDS and the Allegri+.  ????

Chag -

[@mention:13393020358083741] [@mention:76328488954305491] If you don’t mind me asking, how did you have the Allegri set up, and did you try it with a Naim power amp? 

I ask because I have an Allegri+ which I’ve been running with an NDX/Hugo front end, and I was hoping it might help me reduce box count a bit by replacing my 282.  My impression so far is that the 282 is better, and the Allegri by comparison sound a little veiled, with less clarity, kind of the opposite of what I was expecting, given its reputation for great transparency. I’m prepared to persist a little longer if needs be, to try and get the best out of the Allegri, but if I can’t get it sounding better than it does now, the 282 will be staying. 

Hi ChrisSU

I have not tried the Allegri+ nor DC 47 into a Naim Amp.  My speakers are one ohm Apogee Scintilla Ribbons, and Naim suggested not using their amps with these speakers when I pursued it with my Naim Dealer.  I do know that the Allegri+ replaced my DAC V1 which was being driven by an NDX and the upgrade was substantial.  

What I do know is that the Naim Streamers like to look at 47K ohms input impedance of what they are driving.  The Naim Power amps typically provide 18k Ohms, so that is why the SQ degrades when you drive a Naim Power Amp directly with such a source, even if it has volume outs.  Not sure of the input nor output impedance of the Hugo, but it may not be optimal for the NDX.  Also, the Allegri+ input and output impedance will be different at different volume settings.  If you are running near max volume, and minimum attenuation, the input impedance of the Allegri+ will be at its minimum, and this may be more than the Hugo is able to drive.  Likewise, the output impedance of the Allegri+ will be at minimum there, and this may be too large to drive the Naim Power amp's 18K ohms,  

Also check the output voltage of the Hugo, there are some guide lines on the Townshend Audio website and some of the reviews on the conditions where the Allegri+ works well.  You do need a good volt or two from the Hugo and roughly the same 1 volt or 2 for the sensitivity of the amplifier--forget what the Naim amps are--you can check that on their web site.  The clue is if you are running more than about Position 8 or 9 (Traded my Allegri+ in on the DC 47 so I don't have it here to refer to).  

I had moved on from my Allegri+ to the DC47 by the time my ND555/PSU555 came in, so I cannot comment on that.  However the Allegri+ and the DC47 are not that far apart, and I can say that my ND555/DC47 is anything but veiled.  I suspect something in your setup is not compatible, or you have a defective Allegri+, as there have been no other reports of veiled sound that I am aware of, quite to the contrary.  I know of one other Allegri+ in a Naim system here on the forum.  

Bailyhill

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Bailyhill

For completeness, I realize that I may not have posted about the DC47.  Its similar to the Allegri+, in that it uses the same autotransformer design with Fractal F1 wire, but its on Steroids.  One input-one output, no selector switch, no wiring associated with that, direct connections with no connectors inside, more steps/taps (1db steps), 54 position volume control, remote only powered by external supply and no other electronics inside, upgraded connectors, constrained damping case, full size box, weighs about 30 pounds, and is on Max's Isolators.  Every upgrade you could think of for a cost no object volume control passive autotransformer, including the proverbial "kitchen sink".  It does work.  The cost is substantially higher than the Allegri+, but its comforting knowing that all these upgrades are taking effect, and the sound is an upgrade from the Allegri+, but has the same sonic character.  

Bailyhill

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by NAJB

Damn... with some music appreciating friends her for a few days, we rearranged our furniture so that we could all listen, without having anyone sitting too closely to a speaker. What a difference to the sound, which opened up massively. We listened to a number of LPs last night (and drunk rather too much wine as well).

But, we cannot leave the room with this seating arrangement, indeed it has already gone back to what it was, and still use it for anything other than listening to music. I now really envy people with dedicated listening rooms and may have to think about how to incorporate this new arrangement. MIght be cheaper than any upgrade to the equipment. 

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by MangoMonkey
Popeye posted:
gsr posted:

In 12 months I’ve gone from

CDX2, 112x, 150x system with Totem Hawk speakers

to

Uniti 2 and Hawks

to

272/250DR with Totem Forests 

to 

272/250DR and non-Naim XPS with PMC 25.23

to

272/300DR and non-Naim XPS with PMC 25.23

It’s been a busy year!!!!!

What made you change from Totem to PMC? I am using the new Totem Sky towers and I auditioned them against the PMC 25 23 and found them far superior. 

@Popeye, @gsr - would love to hear both your experiences comparing the Totems and PMCs.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by gsr

I mainly listen to electronic and rock music and I find the PMCs to be a lot better in terms of clarity and soundstage.

I found the Totems especially the Forests to have a harsh treble at medium to higher volumes. I believe this has been sorted out with the Siganture range, haven’t heard them but Mike Sullivan on this forum has compared the 2.

Gordon

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by DaveBk

I suspect this will not be a surprise, but my best upgrade of 2018 was moving from an NDS to an ND555.... the only other change was adding a few more acoustic panels to fine tune my room response. Very pleased with both.

Dave.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Mike Sullivan
gsr posted:

I mainly listen to electronic and rock music and I find the PMCs to be a lot better in terms of clarity and soundstage.

I found the Totems especially the Forests to have a harsh treble at medium to higher volumes. I believe this has been sorted out with the Siganture range, haven’t heard them but Mike Sullivan on this forum has compared the 2.

Gordon

Yes, the Signatures are very nice. I haven't heard the original Forest's but the treble is nice and sparkly on the Signatures and not at all harsh.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Peder
NAJB posted:

Damn... with some music appreciating friends her for a few days, we rearranged our furniture so that we could all listen, without having anyone sitting too closely to a speaker. What a difference to the sound, which opened up massively. We listened to a number of LPs last night (and drunk rather too much wine as well).

But, we cannot leave the room with this seating arrangement, indeed it has already gone back to what it was, and still use it for anything other than listening to music. I now really envy people with dedicated listening rooms ????and may have to think about how to incorporate this new arrangement. MIght be cheaper than any upgrade to the equipment. 

???? NAJB,....This experience is part of the installation process.
????I usually call it "Room-tunning",..this should be performed in parallel with your music-system installation.

You will be amazed at the musical outcome.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by JohnnyTT

Happy new year all!!

My "upgrade" was only because I had to, due to a change of room. I needed to move from towers to bookshelves that were up against a wall. After months of in-store and in-home demos... I ended up with Guru Audio Q10's. These little guys fight well above their weight class. For my situation, I couldn't be happier. 

Now the "probem" is I'm listening to music more again and am starting to get the upgrade bug for electronics. 

I'll make a new post for a very eye opening home demo I just did this past weekend.