What has been your best tweak or upgrade in 2018?

Posted by: Jonners on 23 December 2018

I joined this forum in the Summer having owned my Naim-based system for the best part of 12 years with no changes. Spurred on by opinion and advice on this Forum I have undertaken a series of upgrades and tweaks, some of which have made a huge difference and some, very little. As we near the end of 2018 I am wondering what purchases or tweaks you've made this year and which made the most difference.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Jonners
Speedtrip posted:

Changed from MA silver RX2’s to PMC twenty5 24’s, changed from van damme 6mm studio blue to witch hat phantom and added a nap 250dr last week. Everything is so much more coherent and pleasing to my ears, no longer fatiguing after a couple of hours listening. 

I recently moved away from Chord Epic to Phantom and I'm very pleased, took a week running in though with a CD on repeat 24 hours a day with volume at different settings. 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Speedtrip

I’ve had the Phantom for six weeks or so and roughly sixty hours playing time, not noticed a marked improvement since first connecting up but it has greater transparency and a wider soundstage than the studio blue

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Chag...
Bailyhill posted:

Hello Chag

I forgot about the Townshend Allegri+ before the Townshend DC 47.  It is truly a game changer.  The DC 47 adds a remote control and more and smaller steps as well as other micro-phonics upgrade.  Its a one input and one output device, with no selector switch.  I use my ND555 to select inputs, so I don't need another selector switch.  I really appreciate all the Naim Forum posts about the importance of a preamp.

I plan to upgrade to the Fractal interconnects soon.  I assume that you went from the Allegri+ with RCA to your power amp with XLR's?  Did you consider the XLR's an upgrade even though it was not truly balanced?  Struggling with this very question right now.  Are you using the DIN or RCA output from the Naim device driving the Alegri+.  Thanks for any advice you can provide.  Seems like this topic has conflicting opinions.  

Hi Bailyhill;

I am sorry I haven’t responded to your post earlier. I have no clue of what may be or might have been a DC 47. As far as the RCA>XLR I/Cs, I have no element of comparison. I had to have Max assemble new I/Cs for the Allegri+ as the originals are Naim specific DIN4>XLR.

As far as the source I/C is concerned, I am still using a Hi-Line RCA>DIN connected in reverse between the NDS and the Allegri+.  ????

Chag -

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Bailyhill

Hello Chag

A Townshend DC47 is like an Allegri+, but has only one input, one output, no selector switch or wiring, has a remote control, finer steps, and a constrained layer case with Max's isolators.  Internal upgrades of RCA sockets, Fractal Wire inside.  It was an attempt to make an all  our no compromise version of the Allegri+ Autotransformer "Preamp".  To my ears, he did it.  It was a great upgrade.

Bailiyhill

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Chag...

Hi Bailyhill;

When was the DC 47 made available? I have never heard of it. How is the remote powered? ????

Chag -

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by NickSeattle

Upgraded old Planar 3 Exact with pre-loved RP10/Aphelion — rather better into Rega Aria.  Swapped in Superline and Supercap (non-DR).  

Pleased.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Franz K

I did some major upgrades in 2018

First tweak was DR uprgade and service of my aged 500 just to be followed by two more 500DRs/Snaxo362/SC to activate my beloved DBLs. Throw in some fraims for proper setup.

Second major tweak was  tuning the LP12 with full Tangerine/TigerPaw; Stiletto Skorpion and Eklipse, Javelin, Skale and Traquility.  Oh, and a wall rack for proper setting.

Third tweak Chord interconnects between Superline/Pre and Pre/Snaxo

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Simon Douglass

initially DV 17d3 to XX2 Mk2

Latterly Nap300DR> 500DR: no need to mention how much this has changed things - it’s all been said before

QS> 2 stacks of Fraim

And lastly, my 555 and SC have been serviced and upgraded to DR specification- they came back just before X-mas and are running in very nicely: The improvement the  Supercap has made on the Superline is not subtle. 

An ND555 now beckons, but thoroughlly enjoying the music from both sources at the moment, so this next [hopefully last] upgrade can wait a bit....

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Jonners
Franz K posted:

First tweak was DR uprgade and service of my aged 500 just to be followed by two more 500DRs/Snaxo362/SC to activate my beloved DBLs. Throw in some fraims for proper setup.

Second major tweak was  tuning the LP12 with full Tangerine/TigerPaw; Stiletto Skorpion and Eklipse, Javelin, Skale and Traquility.  Oh, and a wall rack for proper setting.

Golly - that's a heck of an upgrade list Franz K! Did you do the LP12 in one go or in stages? What would you say made the most audible difference? I wall-mounted my LP12 as well this year, though with the Trampolin I found the feet sat "within" the spikes supporting the MDF board so after a few months it was sagging slightly due to the 20Kg weight. I replaced it with a piece of 6mm glass just before Christmas which sharpened the presentation up, though that could have been lost over time due to the sagging.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Christopher_M
Jonners posted:

I wall-mounted my LP12 as well this year, though with the Trampolin I found the feet sat "within" the spikes supporting the MDF board so after a few months it was sagging slightly due to the 20Kg weight. I replaced it with a piece of 6mm glass just before Christmas which sharpened the presentation up, though that could have been lost over time due to the sagging.

As an aside, I thought the Trampolin was for when one just wants to plonk the Sondek on a heavy sideboard etc., and that standard baseboard and feet was the right thing for audiophile supports such as yours.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Christopher_M

I've 'fixed' the tired old hinges on my Linn's lid. Basically, I've slid the perspex lid out of the hinges by about 5mm. With the lid closed I can now start to get my fingertips under it a bit, ie between lid and back of plinth. So I can play records with the lid up which is how I like to do it even though it is against audiophile stipulations.

Total cost: zero. You calling me tight?!

Christopher_M posted:
As an aside, I thought the Trampolin was for when one just wants to plonk the Sondek on a heavy sideboard etc., and that standard baseboard and feet was the right thing for audiophile supports such as yours.

Whilst my LP12 was being built (August this year), I sold a couple of bits n' bobs on eBay which freed up a few hundred quid. I called the dealer mid-build and asked what the best way of spending £250 would be, he recommended the Trampolin over the standard baseboard because it provided additional isolation. There does not appear to be any caveat for support - Linn explain more here:

https://www.linn.co.uk/sources/turntables/baseboards

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Flachead

2018 is the year that I finally re-found music and Hi-Fi after years of drifting away for various reasons. At the start of the year I had a Linn Sneaky, Bow Technologies Wazoo XL and B&W CM1. Streaming with the Sneaky from a NAS was always a faff, I wanted a click and play solution. And along came the Atom which perfectly fitted the bill.

I sold up, bought the Atom and changed the speakers to B&W 707’s. But the bug has bitten and is well and truly buried under the skin. Soon I changed the Atom for a Nova, which although early days, I’m loving.

In 2019 I’ll change the speakers and have shortlisted Marten Duke 2 (I loved these but they may be too rich ££ for me) and from research have identified Dynaudio Contour 20/Special 40 and Focal Kanta No 1.

Looking forward to trying these out in the New Year.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Lloydy

I had a service on my 135's at Salisbury. After initially booking them in with my dealer, they were back in just over a week (brilliant service!). The 250DR loaned to me filled the gap nicely, but welcome home my old friends! ????

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by petzhou

I had my 200/202 serviced by Naim. Probably my most satisfying upgrade though  was using my wife's credit card to change to Tellutium Q Black 2!!

petzhou posted:

I had my 200/202 serviced by Naim. Probably my most satisfying upgrade though  was using my wife's credit card to change to Tellutium Q Black 2!!

My wife's credit card was stolen, I didn't report it to the Police as the thief was spending less then she was!

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Bart
Franz K posted:

Have you posted photos of this monster system in our new 2019 system pictures thread?? Would love to see it.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by intothevoid

A very quiet year for me with no changes to my main system, but a lateral upgrade for headphone listening.

a pair of beyerdynamic Amiron’s driven by a Headline2/Flatcap XS/Powerline/Shawline RCA’s in place of the 272’s internal headamp.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan
intothevoid posted:

A very quiet year for me with no changes to my main system, but a lateral upgrade for headphone listening.

a pair of beyerdynamic Amiron’s driven by a Headline2/Flatcap XS/Powerline/Shawline RCA’s in place of the 272’s internal headamp.

Hi, I’m looking at an option for a Headline 2 for my Uniti 2, but can’t demo. How have you found it?

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Bailyhill
Chag... posted:

Hi Bailyhill;

When was the DC 47 made available? I have never heard of it. How is the remote powered? ????

Chag -

Hello Chag

Sorry for the late reply, I have been driving all day and unable to reply.  

I bought mine about 3 months ago.  If you google on Townshend Audio, you will come up with the distributor in Long Beach, Calif.  Are you in USA?  Dan there can provide you with more details.  If not, the Max and Townshend audio is the best contact.  The only power to the unit is via a 14 vdc external brick which powers the remote--the hand controller is an Apple remote.  No other functions powered in the unit.  Its pretty much a limited, special order unit.  I use only a streamer and so did not need a selector switch, as my streamer does that for me.  I have only a Uniti Core, USB downloads, Tidal, and Internet Radio which I select from my ND555.  Hope this helps.

Bailyhill

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by nigelb
Bailyhill posted:
Chag... posted:

Hi Bailyhill;

Chag -

Hello Chag

Sorry for the late reply, I have been driving all day and unable to reply.  

I bought mine about 3 months ago.  If you google on Townshend Audio, you will come up with the distributor in Long Beach, Calif.  Are you in USA?  Dan there can provide you with more details.  If not, the Max and Townshend audio is the best contact.  The only power to the unit is via a 14 vdc external brick which powers the remote--the hand controller is an Apple remote.  No other functions powered in the unit.  Its pretty much a limited, special order unit.  I use only a streamer and so did not need a selector switch, as my streamer does that for me.  I have only a Uniti Core, USB downloads, Tidal, and Internet Radio which I select from my ND555.  Hope this helps.

Bailyhill

I don't mean to spoil the party, but have you chaps even tried a 552. Best upgrade for me in 2018.

As it is now 2019, I could of course be behind the times.

Just saying.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by davidf
Lloydy posted:

I had a service on my 135's at Salisbury. After initially booking them in with my dealer, they were back in just over a week (brilliant service!). The 250DR loaned to me filled the gap nicely, but welcome home my old friends! ????

Can u compare the 2 amps

i own 135s.          David

Bart posted:
Franz K posted:

Have you posted photos of this monster system in our new 2019 system pictures thread?? Would love to see it.

Bart, yes, there is a picture in the 2019 thread

Jonners posted:
Franz K posted:

Golly - that's a heck of an upgrade list Franz K! Did you do the LP12 in one go or in stages? What would you say made the most audible difference? I wall-mounted my LP12 as well this year, though with the Trampolin I found the feet sat "within" the spikes supporting the MDF board so after a few months it was sagging slightly due to the 20Kg weight. I replaced it with a piece of 6mm glass just before Christmas which sharpened the presentation up, though that could have been lost over time due to the sagging.

Hi Jonners

The LP12 upgrade was done more or less in one huge step, yet the most audible effect came from the Stiletto

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by intothevoid
Mike Sullivan posted:
intothevoid posted:

Hi, I’m looking at an option for a Headline 2 for my Uniti 2, but can’t demo. How have you found it? 

Hi Mike, a noticeable improvement over the on-board 272 when driving the Amiron's, but less so with the 702's as they are a much easier load. Not a night-and-day change, which says a lot about the 272's capability.

I bought the headline as a bit on an experiment TBH, and on balance, not sure whether it'll stay long-term. I need to do a bit of critical A/B testing to be sure.