What has been your best tweak or upgrade in 2018?

Posted by: Jonners on 23 December 2018

I joined this forum in the Summer having owned my Naim-based system for the best part of 12 years with no changes. Spurred on by opinion and advice on this Forum I have undertaken a series of upgrades and tweaks, some of which have made a huge difference and some, very little. As we near the end of 2018 I am wondering what purchases or tweaks you've made this year and which made the most difference.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Bart

I upgraded most of my system (that had been the same for about 4 years) in 2018.  The Fraim remains, and my speakers (which are going in 2019 as soon as we decide what that upgrade looks like) and all the wires and interconnects, but out went the SN2/HCDR/NDS and in came 252/SCDR/ND555/250DR.  My DR'd 555PS stayed for the ND555.

2019 should be a year of trading out the speakers, and likely a 300DR in place of the 250.

We were auditioning new speakers last night and my wife had a lot of questions regarding crossovers and why all of the signal goes to the speakers all at once - which resulted in my describing the use of bi-amplification and active crossovers.  To her, an engineer and scientist, bi-amping makes perfect sense of course.   I told her I'd scare her with some System Pics of active setups -- that SHOULD scare her off!!!

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by spurrier sucks

Nothing major here. I added a dedicated stand for my Naim stack and Dynaudio Stand 20 to my Contour 20. 

I did did add a second system as well  UnitiQute and Totem Mites. Thinking about adding a muso to the bedroom to close out the year  

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by ToddHarris

I recently moved my trusty Nait2 “olive” to the bedroom and replaced with a new NAC152xs/NAP155xs combo in my main listening room. It was hard not to take advantage of the current deal being offered from Upscale Audio in Los Angeles for the combo. After three excruciating weeks of run-in, the 152/155 combo is starting to purr!

I added the IsoAcoustic Aperta’s between my KEF LS50’s and their stands…a not-so-subtle upgrade! Highly recommended.

I upgraded the (free) software of my PS Audio DirectStream DAC to the latest “Snowmass” release. Also upgraded the PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player Transport’s software to 3.13. Very pleased with the results!

As a logical next step I’ll probably add the Flatcap XS in 2019…no rush! I can tell the 152/155 combo still needs time to shine!

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Pev

Wall mounting my N-Sats to position them better - being decoupled sealed boxes I modified standard universal mounts off Ebay to mimic the Naim mounting plates in 5 minutes in the garage! Unobtanium - who needs it!

Also Roon.

Too happy with my system to change anything else.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Alfa4life

Best upgrade for me was being made redundant at the begining of the year and finding another position which paid very little so it made me appreciate just how satisfying my system is without having to think what if I changed this to ???

I have more time to listen to music now and time to spend rooting around the shops for bargain music

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Michel Werner

Just one change but a big and recent one: The NDS was replaced by a ND555 yesterday. And, yes, it is really that good. Much more groovy. It is supposed to improve with the burning in.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Timmo1341

Replacing the spikes on my ProAc K6s with Stillpoints Ultra SS. Not cheap, but what a fantastic improvement to an already very good sound. All traces of slight bass boom on certain tracks was eliminated completely. In addition I experienced an all round uplift equivalent to that which came when upgrading my speaker cable from Chord Odyssey to Epic Reference. 

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by wilro15

This year I swapped out ProAc D18 speakers for Kudos Super 10 (on Partington Broadside stands) - big improvement.  Definitely a step nearer to my ideal sound.  I liked the ProAcs but the Kudos gave me something extra special.

Also went from an Origin Live tonearm to the Michell Tecnoarm on my Tecnodec.  Swapped the cartridge for a Denon DL103R too - very nice sound from the turntable now.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by RaceTripper

I had many changes and upgrades in 2018. 

All my Naim was recapped and upgraded to DR (281/HC/250). I also added two Naim Fraims for everything. I got new speakers: Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum and added a second REL R-328 sub. I upgraded my tonearm from a Clearaudio Magnify to the Universal. Plus a bunch of smaller improvements for isolation, etc.

I would say the best and most dramatic improvements were with the speakers first and the tonearm second. After that the service and DR upgrade to the 250.

My only plan for 2019 is a new phono cartridge. Starting to consider candidates (with Clearaudio Stradivari and Benz Micro Gullwing SLR currently on the short list).

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by raym55

A major change for me. Gone are Quad II 40 amps, Tannoy Stirling speakers, Music First Pre and a Moon 300D dac.

In their place is a Naim Atom (my first Naim buy), this feeding a lovely pair of Harbeth P3ESR's.

This is much more suited to my available space and sounds better than before. 

Happy as a pig in the smelly stuff.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by douglas

My upgrade this year. Replacing B & W 802D2 with D3. Well worth while and some!

2019: Existing LP12 with Stiletto.  Looking to add Eklipse isolation platform and Scorpion baseplate to replace Linn Trampolin.

Douglas.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Graham Russell

Moving on from Linn sources. KDS replaced by Tidal Camira DMC DAC and the LP12 has just gone in anticipation of a new deck in the New Year

Graham Russell posted:

Moving on from Linn sources. KDS replaced by Tidal Camira DMC DAC and the LP12 has just gone in anticipation of a new deck in the New Year

Any idea yet what you'll get?

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Graham Russell
RaceTripper posted:
Graham Russell posted:

Yup, Dohmann Helix 2. Ordered and arriving very soon

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by sjw

2 simple things by comparison..

Swapped in a tisbury phono stage in front of 202/200 fc s400. Set it at 50db gain and full sound, deeper bass better soundstage than rega MM3.

No sign of overload /distortion. Just far better so I bought another for the second system. Great upgrade.

Zen innuos mini . It sounds bgreat and just gets on with it

Graham Russell posted:
RaceTripper posted:
Graham Russell posted:

Yup, Dohmann Helix 2. Ordered and arriving very soon

Impressive. Enjoy and don't forget to come up for air once in a while.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Polarbear

Best tweak, redressing the XLR cable from the 500 to the 552.

Best upgrade, Titan 808's.

Merry Christmas :-)

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by BPou

I replaced my xps DR for a 555 DR on my 272.  Good improvement.  For next year considering the forthcoming Dynaudio Confidence 30 to replace my Focal Sopra 2.  Let see whether they are an improvement of not.  Need to listen yet.  I love my 300 DR, so not changes planned there.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Loki
antony d posted:

in my system this year no question the DR on my 300 and some rather larger "tweeks" on my LP12

Very similar for me. In my main system,, the DR upgrade for the 250.2, the Kore for the LP12. But the best vfm upgrade was undoubtedly the removal of the Russ Andrews Torlyte shelf from under the LP12.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Loki
Jonn posted:

The LP12 was replaced by an ex-demo Well Tempered Simplex, Dynavector DV 20X2 and P75 Mk4 for <£2000 which much to my surprise out performs the nearly ten times more expensive LP12 in terms of musicality.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Ravenswood10

A Tigerpaw Tranquility for the LP12 and then being good boy by not spending on hifi but music. Could be hard to repeat in 2019 though as I feel a relapse or two coming on!

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Obsydian
Alfa4life posted:

Best upgrade for me was being made redundant at the begining of the year and finding another position which paid very little so it made me appreciate just how satisfying my system is without having to think what if I changed this to ???

I have more time to listen to music now and time to spend rooting around the shops for bargain music

????

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Pcd

Upgrading my NDX/XPSdr to a ND555/555PS the ND555 is something very special indeed.

Adding a DAC V1 plus a pair of Focal Elear Headphones for late night listening.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by boom

2018 was a big year for me....

out went the 202/200/HCDR/S400

in with the 282/250DR/SCDR/Sopra 2

biggest wow for me was the Sopra 2, however, all the black box upgrades were significant in their own right.

Merry Christmas everyone, it has been a lot of fun being part of a very passionate bunch of individuals, boarding on the side of mad.

Best wishes.

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Filipe
BPou posted:

I replaced my xps DR for a 555 DR on my 272.  Good improvement.  For next year considering the forthcoming Dynaudio Confidence 30 to replace my Focal Sopra 2.  Let see whether they are an improvement of not.  Need to listen yet.  I love my 300 DR, so not changes planned there.

Love my Sopra 2s. Perseverance with position pays dividends.