Superb Live Recordings, post your favorites.

Posted by: Peet on 21 March 2015

1. "There is a special magic, an intimate vibrancy in a live performance which is impossible to recreate in the studio. I have often been asked to record live - a prospect which I have aspired to and dreaded at the same time - and I am delighted to finally have had the chance to do so. Here is some food for thought without any additives, sugar or preservatives. Enjoy." 
  2. The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
    When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
    The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
    Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.
  3. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience.
Posted on: 09 May 2017 by k
migo posted:
k posted:
Peet posted:

It has been recorded in DXD. I'm listening to the 96pcm; it is a fantastically well recorded album;
http://www.soundliaison.com/

+1

AND well played!

I have all her albums and maybe this is the best. It is so fresh and you feel the immediacy of a live recording.

According to the liner notes this is all 1th takes, so no ''cleaning up'' and ''repairing'' afterwards.

You can hear it at the end of the tour de force ''Cotton Fields'' where Carmen Gomes goes a little off at the very last note.

But that's it.  I love the album, superb SQ and so very well played.

Very impressive indeed.  I wonder if the ´no repairs` approach accounts for the impressive sound quality. The bass sounds like a bass, the drums like drums and the guitar sounds like a guitar coming straight from a Fender amp. The voice of Carmen Gomes is captured perfectly but best of all is the way it all blends. It really is a band in front you. Not 4 separate musicians in each their own room.

I was checking the site and it seems to be the first in a series of DXD recordings they recorded in that studio:

"In our new DXD live in the studio series we have asked a select group of European top musicians to recreate one of their favorite albums in their own image."   liner notes carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

It says that; "Paul Berner went for the Beatles “Rubber Soul” !

I love his Elvis tribute; "Road to Memphis'' so I will be looking forward to that recording.

Posted on: 16 May 2017 by k

Don't know if this counts as live with only the camera man being the audience but this tune is on the album;

The recording quality is good but the piano.....? I mean fine with an upright but it would be nice with one in a better condition!

Posted on: 23 May 2017 by k

I mean this sounds better and that is from youtube!

Posted on: 23 May 2017 by rhom

John Martyn - Philentropy. He was on astonishing form around the time this was recorded:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist...KU7uwsD4Lla3KDDT5PG_

Posted on: 23 May 2017 by sjbabbey

Did someone say John Martyn?

Posted on: 28 May 2017 by NFG

Im showing my age now, but Frampton Comes Alive is the best live rock LP Ive heard

Posted on: 28 May 2017 by Mike-B
NFG posted:

Im showing my age now, but Frampton Comes Alive is the best live rock LP Ive heard

Yes indeed,  maybe comes close to David Gilmour's 'Live in Gdansk',  but for alive as opposed to a live,  its the best by some margin.   & no age has nothing to do with it.

Posted on: 28 May 2017 by MDS
Mike-B posted:
NFG posted:

Yes indeed,  maybe comes close to David Gilmour's 'Live in Gdansk',  but for alive as opposed to a live,  its the best by some margin.   & no age has nothing to do with it.

Think I'll give that album a try. It's very many years since I've listened to any of his albums.

Posted on: 28 May 2017 by Mike-B
MDS posted:

Think I'll give that album a try. It's very many years since I've listened to any of his albums.

Spurred on by this post,  I have just replaced my old original CD rip with a 24/96 remastered copy.   In Europe only HighResAudio has it,  but I got for a few squids less from HDTracks (USA) 

Posted on: 29 May 2017 by NFG

Hi Mike-B & MDS thanks for posting, threads like this are so useful for tracking down good music so Im really pleased Ive posted something helpful .

Going to give it a spin tonight, think I was 18 when it came out & summer of 76 was fab.

enjoy, N

Posted on: 30 May 2017 by k
migo posted:
k posted:
Peet posted:

It has been recorded in DXD. I'm listening to the 96pcm; it is a fantastically well recorded album;

+1

AND well played!

I have all her albums and maybe this is the best. It is so fresh and you feel the immediacy of a live recording.

According to the liner notes this is all 1th takes, so no ''cleaning up'' and ''repairing'' afterwards.

You can hear it at the end of the tour de force ''Cotton Fields'' where Carmen Gomes goes a little off at the very last note.

Very impressive indeed.  I wonder if the ´no repairs` approach accounts for the impressive sound quality. The bass sounds like a bass, the drums like drums and the guitar sounds like a guitar coming straight from a Fender amp. The voice of Carmen Gomes is captured perfectly but best of all is the way it all blends. It really is a band in front you. Not 4 separate musicians in each their own room.

I was checking the site and it seems to be the first in a series of DXD recordings they recorded in that studio:

"In our new DXD live in the studio series we have asked a select group of European top musicians to recreate one of their favorite albums in their own image."   liner notes carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

for those interested there is only week left off the generous introduction offer on that download.

Schnerzinger and Zellaton used the album at the Munich High End Show .

Posted on: 02 June 2017 by kevin J Carden

It's Friday night in London too, but the 552 has Tardis'd me to to San Francisco in the presence of 3 stunning guitarists for an hour or so..

Posted on: 03 June 2017 by Peet
k posted:
migo posted:
k posted:
Peet posted:

+1

AND well played!

for those interested there is only week left off the generous introduction offer on that download.

Nagra also used the album in Munich

48 hours left on the promo price.

introduction offer Carmen Gomes Sings The Blues

Posted on: 04 June 2017 by JamieWednesday

Now this is where I start getting confused. I look on the Sound Liason site and there are multiple formats available, will they all play on naim streamers i.e. in my case nac 272 and Muso or am I limited at 192 Khz?

Posted on: 04 June 2017 by Bob the Builder
JamieWednesday posted:

Now this is where I start getting confused. I look on the Sound Liason site and there are multiple formats available, will they all play on naim streamers i.e. in my case nac 272 and Muso or am I limited at 192 Khz?

I downloaded the DSD version of Carmen Gomez cover of the Harry Belafonte sings the blues LP and it sounds fantastic on my ND5XS/2Qute I believe if you have the latest firmware available to 272 it will play DSD 64.

Posted on: 04 June 2017 by Mike-B
JamieWednesday posted:

The Sound Liaison store is a bit confusing,  & no they won't all play on Naim.  In your case Muso is your limiting factor as it does'nt play DSD which means you're limited to 24/192kHz 

Agree BtB Carmen Gomes Sings The Blues (Harry Belafonte cover) is soooperb in DSD64 on my NDX, my guess it will be just as good in 24/192 PCM (WAV) or FLAC on 272 & Muso

Posted on: 04 June 2017 by Bob the Builder
Mike-B posted:
JamieWednesday posted:

The Sound Liaison store is a bit confusing,  & no they won't all play on Naim.  I your case Muso is your limiting factor as it does'nt play DSD which means you're limited to 24/192kHz 

Agree BTB Carmen Gomes Sings The Blues (Harry Belafonte cover) is superb in DSD64 on my NDX, my guess it will be just as good in 24/192 PCM (WAV) or FLAC on 272 & Muso

I think Jamie has a 272 so he should be ok with DSD 64,  Carmen Gomez - Sings The Blues is recorded live and is one of the best digital downloads I have heard and at 10 Euro's is great value I recommend it highly.

Posted on: 04 June 2017 by JamieWednesday

Yep 272 definitely Ok for DSD I believe so will opt for that

Cheers

Posted on: 04 June 2017 by Mike-B
JamieWednesday posted:

Yep 272 definitely Ok for DSD I believe so will opt for that

Cheers

100%  -  I said to go for 24/192 because Muso wont play DSD,  but if you're going to get DSD64 for the 272,  why not make a .wav or .flac copy just for the Muso,   dBpoweramp will convert DSD to PCM.  

Posted on: 06 June 2017 by k
Bob the Builder posted:
Mike-B posted:
JamieWednesday posted:

The Sound Liaison store is a bit confusing,  & no they won't all play on Naim.  I your case Muso is your limiting factor as it does'nt play DSD which means you're limited to 24/192kHz 

Agree BTB Carmen Gomes Sings The Blues (Harry Belafonte cover) is superb in DSD64 on my NDX, my guess it will be just as good in 24/192 PCM (WAV) or FLAC on 272 & Muso

I think Jamie has a 272 so he should be ok with DSD 64,  Carmen Gomez - Sings The Blues is recorded live and is one of the best digital downloads I have heard and at 10 Euro's is great value I recommend it highly.

Native DSD claim on their site that a DXD recording such as -Carmen-Gomes-sings-the-blues, sounds better when converted to DSD. https://www.nativedsd.com/information/quality-channel

I am happy enough with my 24/96 pcm. 

( Gomes with and S, btw. I believe she is half Portuguese see her previous album) http://www.soundliaison.com/st...usand-shades-of-blue

Posted on: 13 June 2017 by k
Peet posted:
k posted:
migo posted:
k posted:
Peet posted:

+1

AND well played!

Nagra also used the album in Munich

48 hours left on the promo price.

introduction offer Carmen Gomes Sings The Blues

Nagra also used this great Rudy van Gelder Blues recording'; 

the sound actually reminds me of the Gomes album. 

Posted on: 16 June 2017 by Bert
Geofiz posted:

Simply outstanding recording that Neil sat on for decades.  Absolutely fantastic on vinyl.

Not only fantastic on vinyl, but also on FLAC via a Naim streamer!

Hearing this through B&W 802's, it is like Neil is standing right in front of you, especially on "Don't let it bring you down" and "Down by the river". Very good sound quality.

Neil was at the peak of his creative power here, as he is telling at the intro of "Journey through the past": "I'm gonna sing mostly new songs tonight, maybe only a couple of more old ones. I've written so many new ones that I can't think of anything else to do with them, other than sing them.... you know". 

The guy has a nice high & young voice here, just 25 years old. It was recorded 1 month before his famous BBC sessions on 23 Feb 1971.

Posted on: 21 June 2017 by k

I'll take a listen to that Neil Young album based on your recommendation

Posted on: 28 June 2017 by Ivo B
Mr Underhill posted:

Many of the above are firm favourites but I'll add:

Mr Underhill, 

would you clarify please if this is CD or LP, or Hi Res, label and year of release. I like very much this concert. Have a Delux edition - 2xCDs and a DVD. Unfortunately the SQ is very poor. 

ATB, 

Ivo

Posted on: 01 July 2017 by Nick Lees

King Crimson - Radical Action To Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind

A three CD (or download from Qobuz etc.) document from a concert last year from their latest incarnation.

The set list covers most of their history, though by arrangement much of the Adrian Belew era is missing. Jakko Jakszyk does a very good job as a John Wetton vocalist, Mel Collins returns on sax, and there are THREE drummers, which is very effective.

It's a stormer if you like Crimso, and the recording is magnificent.

Highly recommended even if, like me, your stack of KC albums looks dangerously high!