What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2017

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...sted-vol-xiii?page=, 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by T38.45
Clive B posted:
T38.45 posted:

Shocked HOW good redbook quality can be now...listening  DALI Demo CD #3 and #1...I could swear it‘s 192/24... makes me think why not every recording is at that level....forget the format war????...highly recommend SQ wise, of course these are demo tracks...

Thanks in no small part, no doubt, to the ND555, which does seem to have an amazing ability to sort out those troublesome noughts and ones. 

agreed :-)...but I think with a good midrange streamer these CDs show their qualities!...Just checked the prices on amazon and ebay...insane! I try to get Volume #2 and #5 now:-))))) For me, these are the records of 2018. No other label I have (ECM, Act, Linn, Naim, 2L, Opus, Turtles...) has this quality....they are exceptional recorded.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Clive B

Count Basie Orchestra - The Complete Atomic Basie

I haven't played this since the mid-90s. A serious omission.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Kevin-W

Two CD set of the Dame's much-bootlegged early (1966-72) BBC sessions, in decent SQ:

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by TK421

Beck - Morning Phase

A great album for a lazy Sunday morning.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Much better as expected - will get it...

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Getting back to it, quite good...

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by ted_p

Pink Floyd

The Wall (2011 Remaster) CD Rip

Edward

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Haim Ronen

Exploring new sound before Sunday's sunrise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwDnobwJA9s

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by ewemon

SACD

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Eoink
ALANP posted:
Eoink posted:

The Beautiful South - Solid Bronze Great Hits, WAV CD rip

For me Paul Heaton is one of the great quirky English singer-songwriters, with the Beautiful South he allied his voice with a series of female singers who complemented him superbly. Superb witty and intelligent pop-rock, some of the best pop music of the ‘80s/‘90s.

Eoin, did you catch the Heaton documentary that was aired this month on Channel 4 ?It's titled "From Hull to Heatongrad" and well worth a watch.I've just checked and it can be downloaded from All4 which can be found on Sky Catch Up TV if you have access.

All the best and seasons greetings

Alan

Hi [@mention:73230012325576850], I hope you had a good Christmas, I watched the documentary last night. Thanks, it was a great watch, he’s a fascinating character. It was nice to see a clip of the Castlefield Bowl gig I was at earlier this year.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Jeroen20

Florian Pellissier quintet - Biches Bleues

Good post bop jazz.

Yoann Loustalot (Trompette)
Christophe Panzani (Sax)
Florian Pellissier (Piano)
Yoni Zelnik (Contrebasse)
David Georgelet (Batterie)

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Dan Steel

Vinyl released 1976 - Excellent Dan album, with some fine guitar work from Larry Carlton. ????

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Kevin-W

On CD. One of my favourite live albums, even if it is a bit bonkers...

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Eoink

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott - What Have We Become, WAV CD rip

In my view, one of our best songwriters, reunited here with Jacqui Abbott a decade after she left the Beautiful South. Intelligent quirky insightful lyrics, great catchy rock songs with good hooks, strong band, and their voices blend superbly. One of my favourite albums of the decade.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by JamieWednesday

While I’m very much a fan of Sheridan as a person, actor and I think National Treasure in the making, this doesn’t hit the spot I’m afraid.

It feels like the parts are there, Northern Soul vibe, strings, OKish voice but it just lacks character in the production imo and the sum of those parts isn’t a big one. Shame.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Richard Morris

MJQ members (Lewis and Heath) meet Best (guitar), Persip (drums), Gillespie (trumpet), and Stitt (alto). CD cheap at AZ.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Jeroen20

Eric Legnini - Rhythm Sphere

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by TK421

Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer Different Park

Doesn't need a why?