What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2017

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...sted-vol-xiii?page=, 

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by nigelb

Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit

I have the 96/24 version of this and this is the first proper listen with the 552. I always felt the 252 struggled a little with this one and it is appears to me that the 552 is further able to explore hi res material. This is sounding more detailed but at the same time more relaxed with a 552 in charge.

Cool music from a cool dude.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by ewemon

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Kevin-W

1978 Japanese vinyl pressing. My go-to copy of this one. It's a very weird album, isn't it? It's grown on me over the decades for this very reason, even if the recording (the drums especially) of the title track is a bit crap.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by ewemon

Will Hoge Almost Alone.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Erich

Tidal.   Mary Black - Collected

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by VladtheImpala

Listening to some of my Christmas presents - all CD ripped to FLAC. David Russell is one of my favourite classical guitarists.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by MDS

Having watched Liverpool stuff the Gooners on TV, I've selected a classic Tull album to start this evening listening session.  

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by seakayaker

Just finishing.........

Keb' Mo' - Keep it Simple

Keb' Mo' - Keep it Simple

Streamed on NAS.......... one fantastic songwriter, singer and musician, love his music, simply sweet!

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Clive B

Götterdämmerung, Wagner, being broadcast now on BBC Radio 3 FM, recorded at the Royal Opera House with Nina Stemme in the role of Brünnhilde. 

Seckou Keita is a really lovely man , we met him at a concert in Emsworth. I was expecting him to live in Senegal, but no, Nottingham. 

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Stevee_S

(2014)

No Fools No Fun

Norah Jones re-inventing herself again, this time getting all country with her Puss N Boots.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by seakayaker

Now Playing........

Keb' Mo' - Just Like You

KEB' MO'  -  Just Like You

Streaming on NAS.........  continuing on with Keb' Mo' since he is sounding so good!  Love his music......

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by osprey

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by MDS

CD1 from this double album.  This is a very old album of course and I used to have it on vinyl but had never replaced that with a CD version, an omission I rectified a couple of days ago when I bought this in HMV. It's sad to think that this could be the last CD I ever buy from HMV   

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by nigelb

Grover Washington  Jr. - Winelight

Continuing my exploration of hi res material with my new toy (552), listening to the 192/24 version of this and trying to remember what it sounded like with my trusty 252. It is a pure delight with the 552 and seems to make more sense with more expression in the playing than I recall with the wonderful 252.

When I first got into streaming I collected a few hi res albums but soon reverted to just buying the albums I enjoyed, which were invariably on CD only but the 552 seems to relish great recordings in hi res, so I think I will need to seek out some more hi res material as it really seems to shine with this amazing pre amp. I am still very aware however there is supposedly hi res versions of albums that really aren't, or don't sound like they are. Winelight is not one of those though.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Erich

Tidal.  Joan Armatrading - Love & Affection

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Kevin-W

The last two discs of this utterly splendid 4-CD compilation, with Booker T, Herbie Hancock, Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff, King Curtis, Mel Torme, et al...

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Sloop John B

catching up with some recommendations, this one is certainly worth the price of admission, although Oh Mr. Barnum sounds so like Elvis Costello it's uncanny.

Will Hodge - My American Dream Qobuz 16/44

.sjb

Earlier I listened to this one which came up on PFM albums of the year and a good one it is too, I mustn't be paying enough attention.

Gogo Penguin A Humdrum Star Qobuz 24/88

.sjb

Bert Schurink posted:

What a hideous cover. Can anything that looks like that be any good?

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Bert Schurink
hungryhalibut posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

What a hideous cover. Can anything that looks like that be any good?

Like always with strange stuff, Yes it’s very good...

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Loki

Muse: Simulation Theory, first pressing vinyl.

I have enjoyed the taster downloads and it is good to hear the detail via vinyl last. But, having listened to side 1 only, I am not encouraged to venture to side 2. This is a lumpen and poorly edited experimental album, big on gusto, poor on talent, thus far. Maybe I'm jaded but the lack of a positive narrative thread from the hitherto kings of the concept album (pace Pink Floyd et alia) means that the songs do not hang together meaningfully and give a fragmentary feel lacking in design and focus: something which I have admired in all their previous offerings. What a disappointment.  Jolly glad I didn't shell out for the concert tour this year.

May your Kindness Remain - Courtney Marie Andrews Qobuz 24/96

.sjb