What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2017

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...sted-vol-xiii?page=, 

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by ewemon

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Timmo1341
hungryhalibut posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

What a hideous cover. Can anything that looks like that be any good?

Never judge a book (or an album) by its cover. This, for those who enjoy APC’s genre, is an excellent offering. Thoughtful lyrics, good musicianship - at least give it a try.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by ragman

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by osprey

Releasead 8.12.1986

80's flashback

osprey posted:

Where did you find that?

ragman posted:
osprey posted:

Where did you find that?

It’s a following TIDAL playlist

https://tidal.com/playlist/71f...3b-b66f-708953d85792

It is featured in the Naim app in the secation Tidal / What’s New / Playlist (second item at the moment)

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Very good

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by T38.45

Shocked HOW good redbook quality can be now...listening  DALI Demo CD #3 and #1...I could swear it‘s 192/24... makes me think why not every recording is at that level....forget the format war????...highly recommend SQ wise, of course these are demo tracks...

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Clive B
osprey posted:

Let us all pray they don't do something similar for the current occupant of the White House. 

T38.45 posted:

Shocked HOW good redbook quality can be now...listening  DALI Demo CD #3 and #1...I could swear it‘s 192/24... makes me think why not every recording is at that level....forget the format war????...highly recommend SQ wise, of course these are demo tracks...

Thanks in no small part, no doubt, to the ND555, which does seem to have an amazing ability to sort out those troublesome noughts and ones. 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Dan Steel

Vinyl released 2013 - Nice album to start Sunday off. ????

Clive B posted:
osprey posted:

Let us all pray they don't do something similar for the current occupant of the White House. 

Easy...

Duke Ellington and Count Basie - First Time the Count Meets the Duke

This arrived yesterday, I ripped it as soon as I got up and it's now playing for the first time. The sleeve notes say, "The musical event which is presented in this collection is without precedent in the history of jazz. [...] The result is almost an embarrassment of riches. It is great in significance, great in musical content and, above all, great in demonstrating the two famous leaders' mutual appreciation and understanding of each other". 

I'd add that it's great in sound quality too. It's amazing what could be achieved in 1961, yet is scarcely found on modern recordings. 

Like this album a lot, recently bought....

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Jeroen20

Arthur Rubinstein - Beethoven piano sonatas

Prompted by Barack Obama

Lord Huron: Vide Noir review – pop goes the astral plane

Now on a major label, the songs no longer conjure up vast rural or mountainous landscapes but the even more widescreen spaces of the cosmos. The title means “black void”, and vast swaths of reverb and echo (sculpted by Flaming Lips’ producer Dave Fridmann) create a celestial wall of sound; many of the songs have astral themes or metaphors. Writing on bass guitar has given the music a more powerful chassis, from Killers-like throb to subtle funk. Any remaining acoustic guitars have been blasted beyond recognition.