What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2017

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...sted-vol-xiii?page=, 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Clive B
Eoink posted:

Mary Coughlan - Love for Sale- WAV CD rip

The great Irish chanteuse, here in sultry mood powering her way through standards and contemporary numbers in a live recording from the Mean Fiddler in 1993. She’s in amazing voice, Richie Buckley’s sax soars and drives most numbers. Fantastic live recording, I wasn’t there but did see her at that time, so caught the set, a great memory. She’s touring the U.K. this spring, just waiting for responses from friends before booking the Hebden Bridge Trades Club on 12th April.

Super album. I shall have to see where she’s playing. Thanks for the heads up. 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Eoink

The Beatles - A Hard Day’s Night - WAV CD rip

From the 2009 mono re-release, Lennon and McCartney at their pure pop greatest before the Beatles moved on to perfect and create other styles, this is just sheer pop perfection. Great songs, and when I listen to the Beatles I always have a moment when I have this realisation how good they were technically, great great songs, but also seriously fine guitar from George, Paul’s a great bass player, John’s rhythm is high quality, and the Ringo jokes are wrong, he’s exactly the right drummer for the songs. But who cares, it’s just perfection however happens.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Tony2011

1967 -  

The Velvet Underground

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Kevin-W

From the superb mono Atlantic compilation:

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Pcd

Continuing with Kacey this is a absolute belter of an album.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by MDS

One of my favourite Mary Black albums while I enjoy a post-dinner coffee and (yet another) mince pie 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Tabby cat

Playing on vinyl on Trojan Records - Fine dub from Prince Far I from 1981

https://assets.boomkat.com/spree/products/516449/large/prince_far_i_-_voice_of_thunder_-_LP_Front_.jpg

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by nigelb

Mark Knopfler - Privateering 96/24

I like this one. My only complaint is that it is a bit long, but there is no law that says you must listen all the way through in one sitting. The majority of tracks are great, if you can forgive one or two 'fillers'.

MDS posted:

One of my favourite Mary Black albums while I enjoy a post-dinner coffee and (yet another) mince pie 

A great album, Mary and Declan on super form.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by al9315

Ripped CD -  think I got this one from here (thanks!) - not a band I have ever listened to, but this is a really good album !

Any more recommendations ?

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Graham Russell

al9315 posted:

Ripped CD -  think I got this one from here (thanks!) - not a band I have ever listened to, but this is a really good album !

Argus is probably their finest album, certainly the most popular. After that, have a listen to their first album Wishbone Ash, There’s the Rub, and Live Dates.

Eoink posted:
al9315 posted:

Argus is probably their finest album, certainly the most popular. After that, have a listen to their first album Wishbone Ash, There’s the Rub, and Live Dates.

I agree Argus is their best. Pilgrimage is pretty good too. 

My most recent Alison Krauss album purchase. I think this is only the 3rd time I've played it. Another hit.  

MDS posted:
Eoink posted:
al9315 posted:

I agree Argus is their best. Pilgrimage is pretty good too. 

I was going to add Pilgrimage, but thought I was in danger of listing all their early stuff, it is a fine album.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Bf56

Gordon Giltrap MBE. Deservedly awarded in the new years honours.   Superb guitarist. 

Listening to Heartsongs , recently issued CD compilation, sold in aid of QE hospital charity Birmingham.  £10 very well spent. 

Bob F 

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Jeroen20

Chet Baker - Crystal Bells

A very fine album by Chet Baker.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by ewemon
Tabby cat posted:

Playing on Vinyl - Texan Country from Terry Allen from 1984  - Thanks Ewemon seeing your posting of Terry last week made me give this a spin - Sounding wicked.

https://img.discogs.com/J11Hp0gvgQVOM1f0Gyi6D0VSBiY=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc[):format[jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-1573943-1472251767-6886.jpeg.jpg

Big fan of Terry's very underrated singer songwriter.

Richard Thompson - Live at the BBC CD 3, WAV CD rip

The great singer songwriter guitarist playing acoustic at BBC sessions between the ‘70s and 2000s judging by the songs. Fantastic playing, he has perfected the art of playing lead, rhythm and percussion on one guitar, masterful musicianship, then singing  superb songs over the top of the guitar. It’s not just clever playing, it’s wonderful music.

With my turntable off the air awaiting arm repair, I fancied some RT, wasn’t sure how much I had digitally, maybe a few albums bought from the back of gigs, ah that’ll be 30 discs then.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Tony2011

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Paper Plane
osprey posted:

Might be his but it certainly isn't mine.

steve

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Dan Steel

Double vinyl released 2015 - Guitarist Lee Ritenour decided to celebrate his 50th year as a guitar player by inviting a bevy of name guitarists into the studio to jam out some tunes, all in the name of love for their chosen instrument. Ritenour's subsequent album, 2010's 6 String Theory, is just that, a varied celebration on the many styles and players who have utilized the guitar. The result is an expansive, ambitious, but never belabored album that touches on jazz, blues, funk, and rock and expands beyond the usual Ritenour approach while remaining true to his unique six-string sound. To these ends, Ritenour duets with such artists as contemporary bluesman Keb' Mo', fusion/post-bop legend Pat Martino, and blues icon B.B. King, as well as George Benson, Slash, Mike Stern, and others. To say this is an all-star affair is an understatement and fortunately, it delivers on Ritenour's promise of a guitar celebration. ????

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by DenisA

While listening to Matt Baber's - Suite for Piano & Electronicshttps://mattbaber.bandcamp.com...iano-and-electronics ], I remembered Matt's 'live' preview last year. An excellent gig at Paper Dress Vintage, showcasing his skillz...

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Graham Russell

Pierce Brothers - The Records Were Ours, WAV CD rip

Aussie twin brother singer-songwriters, ex-buskers, their second EP from 2017, good driving rock songs from charismatic musicians,  fun lyrics, as a duo they are guitar and percussion with occasional didgeridoo, here they have their full band live. Seriously good young rockers.