Superb Live Recordings, post your favorites.

Posted by: Peet on 21 March 2015

1. "There is a special magic, an intimate vibrancy in a live performance which is impossible to recreate in the studio. I have often been asked to record live - a prospect which I have aspired to and dreaded at the same time - and I am delighted to finally have had the chance to do so. Here is some food for thought without any additives, sugar or preservatives. Enjoy." 
  2. The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
    When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
    The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
    Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.
  3. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience.
Posted on: 03 July 2017 by Joe T

I'm from Spain originally. Joaquin Sabina is like a Spanish Dylan. This live recording is of superb quality. It's in Spanish, but you can still appreciate the musicianship and his extrodinary voice.

Sabina

Posted on: 18 July 2017 by migo
k posted:

I'll take a listen to that Neil Young album based on your recommendation

+1

Posted on: 18 July 2017 by notnaim man

I don't think this has been mentioned already -

Dead Can Dance "Toward The Within". Atmospheric, ethereal.

Posted on: 19 July 2017 by kevin J Carden

Allison Moorer- Show

Arrived this morning, used bargain for £1.99 from the Brazilian River ! Includes a DVD of the same concert too!

The studio albums are exemplary recordings and hard to beat, so if you don't yet know her music I'd probably start with those, but this is a nice supplementary live experience to have and worth checking out if you are a fan.

Posted on: 21 July 2017 by JedT

Glad Live at Massey Hall is getting a lot of love. I can remember playing it for the first time and being immediately blown away. Imagine having been there!

Last night I was listening to hi-res downloads of 

Aretha at the Fillmore West 1971

Elvis As Recorded at Maddison Square Gardens 1972

Both excellent.

Posted on: 08 August 2017 by Nick Lees

Shearwater - The Sky Is A Blank Screen

This is a live album mostly taken from the tour to support the wonderful studio album from last year, Jet Plane And Oxbow, though there are a couple of acoustic tracks added, and there are covers of both Bowie and Bauhaus. This is quite a muscular version of Shearwater and it suits the power of main man Jonathan Meiburg very well. 

I'll admit bias here, and frankly admit I don't understand why this lot aren't more stellar. The video is from the tour and the album's available through Bandcamp. It's a terrific album and really well recorded. If you like this, do try Oxbow And Jet Plane or Rooks. Americana at its finest.

Posted on: 12 August 2017 by Jeff Anderson
Gary Shaw posted:

This is a live album mostly taken from the tour to support the wonderful studio album from last year, Jet Plane And Oxbow, though there are a couple of acoustic tracks added, and there are covers of both Bowie and Bauhaus. This is quite a muscular version of Shearwater and it suits the power of main man Jonathan Meiburg very well. 

I'll admit bias here, and frankly admit I don't understand why this lot aren't more stellar. The video is from the tour and the album's available through Bandcamp. It's a terrific album and really well recorded. If you like this, do try Oxbow And Jet Plane or Rooks. Americana at its finest.

Excellant - thank you.  regards, Jeff A

Posted on: 22 August 2017 by Peet
JamieWednesday posted:

Now this is where I start getting confused. I look on the Sound Liason site and there are multiple formats available, will they all play on naim streamers i.e. in my case nac 272 and Muso or am I limited at 192 Khz?

They have a fine sampler with one song in all kinds of formats. It's a good idea to download that first to see what format suits your equipment and your EARS  the best.

DXD.DSD.PCM Samplerhttp://www.soundliaison.com/al...es/6-compare-formats

Posted on: 04 October 2017 by k
k posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
Mike-B posted:
JamieWednesday posted:

Now this is where I start getting confused. I look on the Sound Liason site and there are multiple formats available, will they all play on naim streamers i.e. in my case nac 272 and Muso or am I limited at 192 Khz?

The Sound Liaison store is a bit confusing,  & no they won't all play on Naim.  I your case Muso is your limiting factor as it does'nt play DSD which means you're limited to 24/192kHz 

Agree BTB Carmen Gomes Sings The Blues (Harry Belafonte cover) is superb in DSD64 on my NDX, my guess it will be just as good in 24/192 PCM (WAV) or FLAC on 272 & Muso

I think Jamie has a 272 so he should be ok with DSD 64,  Carmen Gomez - Sings The Blues is recorded live and is one of the best digital downloads I have heard and at 10 Euro's is great value I recommend it highly.

Native DSD claim on their site that a DXD recording such as -Carmen-Gomes-sings-the-blues, sounds better when converted to DSD. https://www.nativedsd.com/information/quality-channel

I am happy enough with my 24/96 pcm. 

( Gomes with and S, btw. I believe she is half Portuguese see her previous album) http://www.soundliaison.com/st...usand-shades-of-blue

see the post above

Posted on: 20 October 2017 by migo
notnaim man posted:

No and it should! 

Posted on: 07 November 2017 by k
migo posted:
notnaim man posted:

No and it should! 

+2, Dead Can Dance, great band great album.

Posted on: 07 November 2017 by k
Peet posted:
JamieWednesday posted:

They have a fine sampler with one song in all kinds of formats. It's a good idea to download that first to see what format suits your equipment and your EARS  the best.

The album has been released on vinyl as well:

Posted on: 12 November 2017 by christian u
k posted:
migo posted:
k posted:
Peet posted:

It has been recorded in DXD. I'm listening to the 96pcm; it is a fantastically well recorded album;
http://www.soundliaison.com/

+1

AND well played!

I have all her albums and maybe this is the best. It is so fresh and you feel the immediacy of a live recording.

According to the liner notes this is all 1th takes, so no ''cleaning up'' and ''repairing'' afterwards.

You can hear it at the end of the tour de force ''Cotton Fields'' where Carmen Gomes goes a little off at the very last note.

But that's it.  I love the album, superb SQ and so very well played.

Very impressive indeed.  I wonder if the ´no repairs` approach accounts for the impressive sound quality. The bass sounds like a bass, the drums like drums and the guitar sounds like a guitar coming straight from a Fender amp. The voice of Carmen Gomes is captured perfectly but best of all is the way it all blends. It really is a band in front you. Not 4 separate musicians in each their own room.

I was checking the site and it seems to be the first in a series of DXD recordings they recorded in that studio:

"In our new DXD live in the studio series we have asked a select group of European top musicians to recreate one of their favorite albums in their own image."   liner notes carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

It says that; "Paul Berner went for the Beatles “Rubber Soul” !

I love his Elvis tribute; "Road to Memphis'' so I will be looking forward to that recording.

It has been released and in my humble opinion it is even better. Marvelous playing and a stunning recording quality.

and I love the first quote from the liner notes ; “Microphones are just like people, if you shout at them, they get scared.” Paul McCartney

Posted on: 17 November 2017 by Peet

Incredible download.

Talking about the quotes, this one is good too;

''The great saxophonist Ben Webster wanted to know the words for every ballad he played.
If he could not remember the words he would not play the song.
Paul Berner Band have taken Ben’s rule to heart.
These Lennon & McCartney songs are being sung without words but the outstanding musicianship
of these musicians ensures that every word is heard.'' https://www.soundliaison.com/s...-this-bird-has-flown

Posted on: 18 December 2017 by DC71

Live and Intimate by Tok Tok Tok. Doesn't seem to be available on Tidal but this album sounds great and very realistic even on Spotify.

Posted on: 27 December 2017 by kevin J Carden

Sonny Landreth, Live in Lafayette. Turned up in my stocking. Clever and tasteful Santa! Sounds superb. 

Posted on: 27 December 2017 by Bob the Builder

Talk Talk - Live at Montreux 1986 a very, very good band in their prime live.

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by Massimo Bertola

Posted on: 17 January 2018 by k
DC71 posted:

Live and Intimate by Tok Tok Tok. Doesn't seem to be available on Tidal but this album sounds great and very realistic even on Spotify.

Good stuff! Thanks!

Posted on: 17 January 2018 by Bob the Builder

Someday My Prince Will Come - Chet Baker on Steeplechase records Denmark. 

Posted on: 18 January 2018 by PSAN
Nick Lees posted:

Great music, thanks for the tip. Just ordered Fellow Travelers and Jet Plane and Oxbow on vinyl. Unfortunately, it seems The Sky is a Blank Screen is not available on vinyl.

Posted on: 18 January 2018 by Nick Lees

If you like Shearwater, then try Jonathan Meiburg’s new side project Loma, though the style is quite different - a touch krautrocky. Vinyl (and download) here.

Or, more in the same vein as Shearwater, Arbouretum. Vinyl (and download) here.

Posted on: 19 January 2018 by sjbabbey

A blast from the past on UK original vinyl which came with a booklet in form of a tour program. For some reason the album never got a US vinyl release.

Posted on: 03 February 2018 by christian u
k posted:
Peet posted:
JamieWednesday posted:

The album has been released on vinyl as well:

It's a different sound than the download, more old fashioned maybe less detailed but also a bit warmer. Heavy 180 gram quality.

Posted on: 03 February 2018 by José Cano Fernández

Eva Cassidy. Beautifull record!