NDX and Chord Hugo

Posted by: Foxman50 on 18 April 2014

I have been contemplating adding a DAC to my NDX/XPS2 to see (or should that be hear) what it can bring to the party. And so thought it about time i made inroads into Having a few home demos. After looking around at products that are within my budget i came across the Chord Hugo DAC.

Although it is meant to be a portable headphone unit, it can be used as a full line level fixed DAC.

The dealer lent me a TQ black digital coax lead, which have twist grip plugs. This was required as the present batch of Hugo's have a case design fault that wont allow any decent cable to fit, soon to be rectified. Thankfully the TQ just manages to hang on to the coax port.

Once all connected and gone through the minimal setup procedure of the Hugo, what does the red LED mean again, i left it to warm up for half an hour.

Poured a beer and sat down for an evenings listening.

What was that, where did that come from, that's what that instrument is. OMG, as my little'n would say, Where is it getting all this detail from.

After spending last night and today with it, all i can say is that it has totally transformed my system from top to bottom. I never considered my NDX to be veiled or shut in, not even sure that's the correct terms. All i can say is its opened up the sound stage and space around instruments. Everything I've put through it has had my toes, feet and legs tapping away to the music.

Even putting the toe tapping, the resolution the clarity to one side, what its greatest achievement for me has been in making albums that I've had trouble listening too enjoyable now.

One added bonus is that it has made the XPS redundant. I cannot hear any difference with it in or out of the system.

While i thought a DAC may make a change in the degree of the jump from ND5 to NDX, i was not prepared for this. Anyone looking at adding a PSU to there NDX may want to check this unit out first.

For me this has to be the bargain of the year.

Posted on: 20 April 2014 by analogmusic

there was a post here earlier, now removed talking about how the programmable FGA chip of the Hugo was much superior to the bog standard DAC's that Naim use.

In that case. Why does it not sound better?

what does it only equal the off the shelf DAC's?

simple question.

lot of hot air and hype around the hugo.

Posted on: 21 April 2014 by flammenwerfer
Originally Posted by Foxman50

I wish i could get an amp the size of the Hugo and speakers for that matter, if i could get the same sound.

The last portable kit which was good enough for my main rig was the Sony Walkman Professional cassette player.

Posted on: 21 April 2014 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Analogmusic, can you explain what you mean by 'bog standard DACs that Naim use'.

The Naim high precession DACs with deliberately separate high precision programmable DSP using programmable micro controller architecture seems quite bespoke and optimised to me. Perhaps you are referring to something else?

Simon

Posted on: 21 April 2014 by karlosTT

Hi Simon,

I suspect Analogmusic is referring to the chip itself.  I understand Chord make their own (happy to be corrected on this) rather than using the usual industry standard brands such as Burr-Brown etc.  Perhaps there are advantages to this approach if one is prepared to make the investment.  On the other hand there seems to be a general consensus that the implementation counts for way more than the specific chip used.  Indeed, exactly the same chip can sound far better in one DAC than another, which supports this argument.....

Posted on: 21 April 2014 by analogmusic

I mean the DAC chip itself it one made by Burr Brown, which apparently (not my words) is not as good as a Programmable Field Gate array.

As with everything the proof is in the listening.

Posted on: 21 April 2014 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Ok I see, well I guess it's a choice of compromises of whether to buy in a high precision component and disable aspects  and bespoke around this like Naim, versus create a low volume high precision component with the bespoking contained within. Both have pros and conns.

As far PFGA it is (or was when I was involved with them) a cost effective way of creating custom VLSI circuitry.

The area of on chip regulation, precision, accuracy and noise will be common to both techniques - and I suspect this is the largest contributor to audible differences.

Now the area that is interesting with the Chord device is that's its very low power. Power equals noise in this world, so having very low power can offer theoretical advantages that could well be audible... 

Simon

Posted on: 21 April 2014 by Colin Lorenson

I haven't heard the Hugo, but bought the Qute EX DAC about 2 months ago having demmed the Ex and the QB76 HD DSD.  The latter was better but the EX has since been improved a lot by the purchase of a Paul Hynes PS.  I didn't want to spend the extra at the moment as DAC technology is moving so fast it didn't seem prudent to tie up 5k UKP while the technology is in a state of flux.  

When the Hugo technology gets built into a "proper" DAC with meatier output stages and better output options (balanced) then I shall definitely be in the game. 

Posted on: 21 April 2014 by tonym

I generally agree with you Colin. I went for the QBD76 HDSD because it sounded better than my 555 & I was fed up with multiple boxes. Now, I'd probably have plumped for a Hugo I guess (although I've never heard one) because it's based on similar technology.

Not so long ago, before it got wet (don't ask) I had an elderly Orelle DAC. Only handled 16/44, yet sounded remarkably good. Considering it must have been some 25 years old, I think it illustrates that, despite all the marketing hype, DACs really haven't progressed that much over the years. I'm now of the age when I tend to get stuff now, rather than wait for something cheaper and/or better to trundle past.

Posted on: 21 April 2014 by Jan-Erik Nordoen
Originally Posted by Jan-Erik Nordoen:
I'll be testing the U\S & Hugo into the 82\Hi\250 this weekend.

The comparison source was the CDX.

Friday : Using the U\S into the Hugo via optical cable, Leonard Cohen's Old Ideas was proclaimed by my wife to be the best version she has ever heard of this record. Well, it was certainly different. Leonard sounded 10 years younger, and there was hope in his singing. Was this his intent or was it the Chord? Moving on to Beyond The Missouri Sky, it was the first time I've heard Pat Metheny's playing without the initial emphasis on the pluck of the strings. I'd always found this album strangely recorded, in that the overemphasis on the beginning of the notes (almost percussive) detracted from the flow of the music. Through the Chord, I could focus on the playing. Was this the truth or was it the Chord? 

Saturday : Background listening at low level to a mix of baroque music. Through the Chord, the sound was thin, and not as engaging as the CDX at low volume, but when cranked up, we were treated to some moments of pure beauty. The Hugo's clarity seems to come at the expense of involvement when listening at low levels, but this may have been system dependant. 

I don't know if it's the FPGA technology, or the very low power use, or both, but the Hugo is capable of showing some very enticing and very different views of music that I thought I knew. It's not Naim, but it's equally fascinating (at high volume).

Jan

Posted on: 21 April 2014 by cat345

The Hugo is better than anything I have heard before. First time I prefer digital to analog with other than AAA recordings. Give it a month of continuous playing before making an opinion. I would advise to stop speculating on technicalities, size/price and just go hear it.

Posted on: 21 April 2014 by Jude2012
Originally Posted by Foxman50:
Originally Posted by Jude2012:

Well if the Hugo's technology is put into a 'living room friendly' body (I.e. Mains power, remote volume control, DIN connection?), I'll bother auditioning. Also, what the experience of Chord DAC's earthing and Naim gear?

Jude

Hi Jude

For what I'm using it for its kinda nice to tuck it out of the way, but i know what you mean. I must admit if i was to use it with headphones then i think it would get on my nerves having to get up and keep changing the volume.

How lazy i have become, but i suppose you get so used to remotes its hard to do without them now.

Not sure what you mean about the earthing. If it sounds this good then i would think the earthing is fine. Maybe someone can expand??

Graeme

Earthing, Naim pay particular attention to earthing and give earthing options on, for example, the V1. So, I was wondering whether there is an issue or not with using the Hugo with a Naim pre or Power amp?

Jude 

Posted on: 22 April 2014 by saucisson
Jude - I've not had a problem with the earthing running it into a 252, whether using optical, coax or USB for the input. Plugged in or not seems to make no difference either.

Jan - interesting that you have also noticed it needs to be wound up a bit to sound "right". Have you found that turning the volume on the hugo helps - it seems to me that turning it to the dark blue rather than the light blue intended for output to a preamp sorts this out to some extent.

Well if the Hugo's technology is put into a 'living room friendly' body (I.e. Mains power, remote volume control, DIN connection?), I'll bother auditioning. Also, what the experience of Chord DAC's earthing and Naim gear?

Jude

Hi Jude

For what I'm using it for its kinda nice to tuck it out of the way, but i know what you mean. I must admit if i was to use it with headphones then i think it would get on my nerves having to get up and keep changing the volume.

How lazy i have become, but i suppose you get so used to remotes its hard to do without them now.

Not sure what you mean about the earthing. If it sounds this good then i would think the earthing is fine. Maybe someone can expand??

Graeme

Earthing, Naim pay particular attention to earthing and give earthing options on, for example, the V1. So, I was wondering whether there is an issue or not with using the Hugo with a Naim pre or Power amp?

Jude 

Posted on: 22 April 2014 by Foxman50

Jude 

Thanks for the reply Jude, unfortunately i cant comment as i don't use Naim amps

Graeme

I'll be testing the U\S & Hugo into the 82\Hi\250 this weekend.

The comparison source was the CDX.

Friday : Using the U\S into the Hugo via optical cable, Leonard Cohen's Old Ideas was proclaimed by my wife to be the best version she has ever heard of this record. Well, it was certainly different. Leonard sounded 10 years younger, and there was hope in his singing. Was this his intent or was it the Chord? Moving on to Beyond The Missouri Sky, it was the first time I've heard Pat Metheny's playing without the initial emphasis on the pluck of the strings. I'd always found this album strangely recorded, in that the overemphasis on the beginning of the notes (almost percussive) detracted from the flow of the music. Through the Chord, I could focus on the playing. Was this the truth or was it the Chord? 

Saturday : Background listening at low level to a mix of baroque music. Through the Chord, the sound was thin, and not as engaging as the CDX at low volume, but when cranked up, we were treated to some moments of pure beauty. The Hugo's clarity seems to come at the expense of involvement when listening at low levels, but this may have been system dependant. 

I don't know if it's the FPGA technology, or the very low power use, or both, but the Hugo is capable of showing some very enticing and very different views of music that I thought I knew. It's not Naim, but it's equally fascinating (at high volume).

Jan

Jan-Erik

I agree with your comment about making Leonard sounding younger. I hadn't thought of it in those terms, for me I'd noticed that certain vocals on the NDX sound darker, if that's the correct term, as though part of the vocal range had been cut off. An exaggerated version is on pop music where it seems they have cut both the low and upper frequencies from the voice to make them appear as though they can sing.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but the Hugo has some how put whats missing back in. I'm not totally convinced that i prefer this change on every artist as it is such a difference, i think some adjustment is required, but this is the only minor gripe i have of the Hugo.

After spending a long weekend with it the best analogy i can come up with, is saying its like my speakers were behind curtains before, where everything was subdued, and with the Hugo the curtains have been torn down. And i have to say i love it.

Graeme

Was you using the volume on the Hugo or amp. Cant say i really noticed this but to be honest i was listening at normal levels to better hear the detail changes. Also wanted to make sure it didn't get fatiguing, which i was expecting it too.

This is a very odd experience for me as previously detailed systems Ive heard ultimately become fatiguing. The Hugo Didn't

Or maybe im just getting older and my hearings gone

Graeme

Posted on: 22 April 2014 by oscarskeeper

I said I’d make a few more comments when I had time, so here it is for anyone who’s interested…

In short, I think the Hugo is fantastic. Having earlier commented that I wasn't sure whether I preferred it to an Ndac/555, I'm pretty sure now that I do. I have to say that I'm rather surprised and frankly somewhat confused by this, not least because I like the Naim sound so much and have done for so long. The idea that such good sound could come from such a tiny little thing is rather difficult to get your head round when you're used most reasonably high-end kit, never mind Naim with its power supplies and chunky cables.

Being analytical about the sound, the only area in which I think the Ndac shades it is in terms of ultimate bass extension. The Hugo produces plenty, but the naim combo ultimately it has just shade more heft and weight.

Overall however, my impression has not been that there is anything particularly striking about particular aspects of the Hugo sound, but that I have simply found myself thinking "just one more track" in a way that I have not really done with digital since moving my CDS3 on. As other people have commented, there is something about the sound that is very non-digital in the way that it sounds unforced, natural and fluid. The best way I could describe it would be as being akin to a KDS with some added, more Naim-like drive and solidity. It really is that good.

The other very pleasing aspect for me is that it means everything I need for digital listening (i.e. my HDX and the Hugo) fits on one fraim shelf rather than on three. As far as I can tell, the Hugo is completely support agnostic and does not to my ears sound any different whether sat on various bits of Naim, on its own shelf, on the floor or held in my hand. This being so, I can't really see the point of having it sat on a separate shelf. That said, if you are going to use it as more of a digital preamp and therefore would need to use and access the controls, the situation might then be different.

It appears similarly indifferent to the input used and source. I've tried it with various combinations of spdif, optical and usb from a Macbook and Mac Mini, NDX and HDX. Although i won't pretend my "testing" was in any way scientific, I could not hear any difference between the various options. No idea whether it would be different with hi res music, as I've not got any! 

Thanks oscarskeeper for the update. Very interesting and very encouraging that you find it non dependent of source as computer audio via mac mini is something I'm hoping to get to try with it. Will have to wait till my Hugo arrives as the loan unit is going back today.

Graeme

Posted on: 22 April 2014 by Jan-Erik Nordoen

Was you using the volume on the Hugo or amp. Cant say i really noticed this but to be honest i was listening at normal levels to better hear the detail changes. Also wanted to make sure it didn't get fatiguing, which i was expecting it too.

This is a very odd experience for me as previously detailed systems Ive heard ultimately become fatiguing. The Hugo Didn't

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I was using the volume on the preamp ; the Hugo was set to volume bypass. 

Testing again this morning into the SuperNait2, and absolutely no issues with low volume listening. So, it's system dependant.

Back to Jakob Lindberg and his interpretations of Dowland's Complete Lute music. Mmmm sublime.

Jan

Posted on: 22 April 2014 by Jan-Erik Nordoen
Originally Posted by oscarskeeper:

I said I’d make a few more comments when I had time, so here it is for anyone who’s interested…

Interesting comments. You've mentioned your sources into the Hugo, but what are you using for preamp and amp ?

Thanks

Jan

Posted on: 22 April 2014 by oscarskeeper
Jan

It is into a 252, 300 and NBLs

Interesting comments. You've mentioned your sources into the Hugo, but what are you using for preamp and amp ?

Thanks

Jan

Well my order is in but there is a two week wait . This will be a long two weeks me thinks

Posted on: 22 April 2014 by Jude2012
Originally Posted by saucisson:
Jude - I've not had a problem with the earthing running it into a 252, whether using optical, coax or USB for the input. Plugged in or not seems to make no difference either.

Jan - interesting that you have also noticed it needs to be wound up a bit to sound "right". Have you found that turning the volume on the hugo helps - it seems to me that turning it to the dark blue rather than the light blue intended for output to a preamp sorts this out to some extent.

Jude

Hi Jude

Graeme

Jude 

Great to hear that there is no issues when using it with Naim equipment.  

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I was using the volume on the preamp ; the Hugo was set to volume bypass. 

Testing again this morning into the SuperNait2, and absolutely no issues with low volume listening. So, it's system dependant.

Back to Jakob Lindberg and his interpretations of Dowland's Complete Lute music. Mmmm sublime.

Jan

Great to hear that the volume can be controlled by a Naim pre 

In short, I think the Hugo is fantastic. Having earlier commented that I wasn't sure whether I preferred it to an Ndac/555, I'm pretty sure now that I do. I have to say that I'm rather surprised and frankly somewhat confused by this, not least because I like the Naim sound so much and have done for so long. The idea that such good sound could come from such a tiny little thing is rather difficult to get your head round when you're used most reasonably high-end kit, never mind Naim with its power supplies and chunky cables.

Being analytical about the sound, the only area in which I think the Ndac shades it is in terms of ultimate bass extension. The Hugo produces plenty, but the naim combo ultimately it has just shade more heft and weight.

Overall however, my impression has not been that there is anything particularly striking about particular aspects of the Hugo sound, but that I have simply found myself thinking "just one more track" in a way that I have not really done with digital since moving my CDS3 on. As other people have commented, there is something about the sound that is very non-digital in the way that it sounds unforced, natural and fluid. The best way I could describe it would be as being akin to a KDS with some added, more Naim-like drive and solidity. It really is that good.

The other very pleasing aspect for me is that it means everything I need for digital listening (i.e. my HDX and the Hugo) fits on one fraim shelf rather than on three. As far as I can tell, the Hugo is completely support agnostic and does not to my ears sound any different whether sat on various bits of Naim, on its own shelf, on the floor or held in my hand. This being so, I can't really see the point of having it sat on a separate shelf. That said, if you are going to use it as more of a digital preamp and therefore would need to use and access the controls, the situation might then be different.

It appears similarly indifferent to the input used and source. I've tried it with various combinations of spdif, optical and usb from a Macbook and Mac Mini, NDX and HDX. Although i won't pretend my "testing" was in any way scientific, I could not hear any difference between the various options. No idea whether it would be different with hi res music, as I've not got any! 

Great to hear that the transport or server does not affect the SQ, in your experience 

Posted on: 23 April 2014 by lovethatsound
Well after all the hype about the chord hugo dac I thought I'd try 1 out on my hdx with xps, now I love the sound of my hdx so this hugo dac has got 2 be good, I've had it on for 3 hours now and it has totally blown me away , lets just say it won't be going back.