Superb Live Recordings, post your favorites.

Posted by: Peet on 21 March 2015

1. "There is a special magic, an intimate vibrancy in a live performance which is impossible to recreate in the studio. I have often been asked to record live - a prospect which I have aspired to and dreaded at the same time - and I am delighted to finally have had the chance to do so. Here is some food for thought without any additives, sugar or preservatives. Enjoy." 
  2. The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
    When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
    The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
    Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.
  3. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience.
Posted on: 20 July 2015 by Peet
Originally Posted by migo:
Originally Posted by Peet:
Originally Posted by k:
Originally Posted by k:
Did anyone notice how on the track Silence the audience slowly gets silenced and then here and there one can hear the sound of Birds

''The recording conditions were not ideal. The doors in the back of the room were opened several times by people trying to squeeze in, making the sound from the espresso machine in the hall and the DJ playing ambient music in the garden faintly audible at the beginning of each set. Later halfway through the concert the windows of the room had to be opened for air. The DJ turned off his music but he was immediately replaced by the sound of birds singing.''
If listening closely one can hear them, chime in, in the quiet parts.

yes same thing happening here on one of my favorite Keith Jarrett recordings the SQ is also a bit similar, and this is a rare occasion of Keith accepting a participating audience with out telling them to be quiet but playing them quiet.

That is true.

Keith Jarrett is known for sometimes losing his temper with even the slightest noise from the audience.

in spite of the profanity he is still a great artist!

I guess that is what a jet lack feels like if you are KeithJarrett.

Pianist Keith Jarrett played the Umbria Jazz festival in 2007 and perpetrated if not the ugliest, then certainly the most famous public meltdown in jazz history. When he walked onstage and saw people in the crowd taking photos, he went to the microphone and cursed not only the “*******s with cameras” but also the “goddamn city” of Perugia. His rant was (of course) captured on video, and went viral on YouTube. Carlo Pagnotta, Umbria’s founder and artistic director, said Jarrett would never be welcome at the festival again........Pagnotta changed his mind. For Umbria’s 40th anniversary in July, he booked Jarrett’s trio .....

..........The trio came out and assumed their positions. Jarrett called out, “Zero lights!” The stage went dark. They began to play “On Green Dolphin Street.” It was after 9 p.m. Night had fallen. The only illumination on the stage was a small light on Peacock’s music stand. Peacock could barely be seen, Jarrett and DeJohnette not at all. Jarrett had found a way to keep a few selfish jerks from taking pictures, even if 4,000 well-behaved Jarrett fans had to share the punishment. Tickets in the front section cost 120 Euros.

Keith Jarrett is now in danger of being remembered more for his arrogance than for his art, and that would be unfortunate, because he is one of our greatest living jazz musicians.

Jazz Times

Posted on: 20 July 2015 by Richard Dane
Originally Posted by R.K:

Thanks Graeme. 

BigH I had looked at the FAQs. Didn't answer my question. 

Richard. I thought I remembered a posting of how to copy and paste a screenshot. Like Nad3020 I dont want to use photobucket etc. 

R.K. the forum cannot actually host an image (takes up too much bandwidth) so you'll need to copy the URL of any image you wish to use and paste it in the image dialog box.  If it's your own image then you'll need a hosting site to hold your images online.

Posted on: 22 July 2015 by Peet

This Count Basie album is absolutely superb;

Basie's West Coast tour was in full swing by mid-1958 and the band—with its "Atomic" book of arrangements—was in top form: Thad Jones, Snooky Young, Wendell Culley, Joe Newman (tp) Benny Powell, Henry Coker, Al Grey (tb) Frank Wess (as,ts,fl) Marshal Royal (as,cl) Billy Mitchell (ts) Frank Foster (ts,arr) Charlie Fowlkes (bar) Count Basie (p) Freddie Green (g) Eddie Jones (b) Sonny Payne (d) and Joe Williams (vcl).

The band's run at the Crescendo was recorded at various points along the way, with material from different nights sufacing in later years on a range of lables, incluidng Phontastic, Status, Laserlight and Jazz Hour. To my ear, the Phontastic material is the finest live audio I've heard of Basie's Atomic band at its peak—finer than the Roulette releases.

• Marc Myers writes on music and the arts for The Wall Street Journal. He is author of "Why Jazz Happened" (Univ. of Calif. Press). Founded in 2007, JazzWax was named the 2015 "Blog of the Year" by the Jazz Journalists Association.
Posted on: 30 July 2015 by Peet

Ahmad Jamal ''Live at the Pershing Club''

Posted on: 31 July 2015 by DC71

Posted on: 03 August 2015 by Peet
Originally Posted by christian u:
Originally Posted by k:

Pure on SQ this album should be mentioned.

absolutely!

Sound Liaison, producing recordings available only in 24-bit/96kHz downloads that mirror the master recording. And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.......

...... Her style is bluesy and intimate with a sexy voice that's sweet as dark tupelo honey, and her interpretations are unerring. The musicians play to her and to each other, and the ensemble is so tight that the four musicians breathe and move as one.. . . Rad Bennett

''soundstage''

Yes it is a remarkable recording.

Those albums are part of a series of live in the studio albums they made, called the Studio Showcase series.

I believe there are 4 very diverse albums in the series but all with terrific SQ.

Posted on: 03 August 2015 by Geofiz

Had forgotten just how good this live recording is.  The HDCD version is extremely good.

Posted on: 12 August 2015 by migo
Originally Posted by k:

absolutely!

Sound Liaison, producing recordings available only in 24-bit/96kHz downloads that mirror the master recording. And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.......

...... Her style is bluesy and intimate with a sexy voice that's sweet as dark tupelo honey, and her interpretations are unerring. The musicians play to her and to each other, and the ensemble is so tight that the four musicians breathe and move as one.. . . Rad Bennett

''soundstage''

Those albums are part of a series of live in the studio albums they made, called the Studio Showcase series.

I believe there are 4 very diverse albums in the series but all with terrific SQ.

I count 5 downloads in the studio showcase series;

Carmen Gomes, Bach Reflections, Paul Berner Band, Batik, Tony Overwater & Bert van den Brink.

Posted on: 13 August 2015 by Mr THX
Sorry if this has been seen before
16/44 download
Simply stunning
 photo B0E9BD78-279D-4566-BF07-30088C274C12.png_zpsd1wqaaag.jpeg
Posted on: 20 August 2015 by migo
Originally Posted by k:

absolutely!

''soundstage''

Carmen Gomes, Bach Reflections, Paul Berner Band, Batik, Tony Overwater & Bert van den Brink.

Sorry, but the'' Impromptu'' download is not in the studio showcase series. It's live but not live in the studio.

Posted on: 23 August 2015 by peterks
Originally Posted by ragman:

+1

Posted on: 23 August 2015 by Christopher_M

Technical quality: unsure but probably low by forum standards.

Rocks off quotient: High.

Chris

Posted on: 28 August 2015 by Peet
Originally Posted by k:

absolutely!

''soundstage''

Sorry, but the'' Impromptu'' download is not in the studio showcase series. It's live but not live in the studio.

You are right...

Posted on: 28 August 2015 by GraemeH
Originally Posted by Christopher_M:

Technical quality: unsure but probably low by forum standards.

Rocks off quotient: High.

Chris

The 'El Mocambo' tracks are nicely recorded - 'Little Red Rooster' particularly I think.

G

Posted on: 28 August 2015 by Dre

Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley

Posted on: 01 September 2015 by k

one more from Blues Alley

Wynton Marsalis:

Posted on: 04 September 2015 by Peet

is this available on DVD?

This is a different recording that the CD'' Live at Blues Alley''.

Posted on: 09 September 2015 by k

is this available on DVD?

This is a different recording that the CD'' Live at Blues Alley''.

I don't know, but I agree I also prefer this version to the album version.

Posted on: 11 September 2015 by Peet

Ok, thanks.

Here is one more, same performance;

Posted on: 25 September 2015 by Peet

I wish this was available on CD or even better as a hi-res download. The playing is fantastic but

the auto compression makes it hard on my audiophile ears.

Posted on: 25 September 2015 by Peet
Paul Berner's  Road to Memphis is maybe my favorite of the Studio Showcase series, but all 4 downloads are exceptional.

Originally Posted by k:

absolutely!

''soundstage''

Posted on: 02 October 2015 by Peet

This one captures the sound of the Vanguard fine but is a bit boomy.

Playing is top.

Posted on: 05 October 2015 by R.K

Esp May You Never  and So Much In Love With You (with Paul Kossoff)

Posted on: 05 October 2015 by exiled jagsfan

Van Morrison - It's too late to stop now

What was it about live albums from the early '70s that are still regarded as milestones in the history of recorded music?

My nomination is what I consider to be Van Morrison's most accomplished work. A record of his 1973 concerts recorded in LA and London, with a band of musicians who I doubt could play any better than they did on this album. 

The audio quality, sequencing and beauty of Van's voice (just listen to the way he and the band meld together on "Into the mystic") hasn't paled in over 40 years.

A gigantic achievement in recording - whether on original vinyl or remastered CD everyone should own this music.

Posted on: 10 October 2015 by Peet
Originally Posted by exiled jagsfan:

Van Morrison - It's too late to stop now

What was it about live albums from the early '70s that are still regarded as milestones in the history of recorded music?

My nomination is what I consider to be Van Morrison's most accomplished work. A record of his 1973 concerts recorded in LA and London, with a band of musicians who I doubt could play any better than they did on this album. 

The audio quality, sequencing and beauty of Van's voice (just listen to the way he and the band meld together on "Into the mystic") hasn't paled in over 40 years.

A gigantic achievement in recording - whether on original vinyl or remastered CD everyone should own this music.

Yes....great great album....thanks for reminding me!