Music on Special Offer Thread?

Posted by: sjt on 14 December 2016

I am wondering if it would be legit to have a thread in here dedicated to music album downloads from legitimate retailers that are currently on special offer.

As an example I was just looking through the what are you listening to mega thread just now and came across the Melody Gardot record because someone was listening to it. I have wanted this for a while but it was always expensive (about 20 quid). On a whim I went over to a place I usually go to buy music downloads and by a blind stroke of luck it was on special offer at just over half price. Deluxe edition is cheaper than the standard edition! I bought it straight away.

So I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to posting albums that are on special offer at the moment with not-so-subtle hints as to where you could get them from, when the offer expires and how much is knocked off etc, so people could see instantly anything that was on special. It would certainly be a thread I would come back to often.

I did a search and couldn't find anything like this in the forum, but usually the searches on these forums are rubbish so this is not a guarantee!

There might need to be a few rules, e.g. the poster has no affiliation with the seller, only legitimate download shops / sites etc.

Just a thought still in the half-bakery...

Posted on: 11 April 2018 by Nick Lees
AndyP19 posted:
AndyP19 posted:
sjt posted:

I got King Crimson Live in Vienna high res £5.49 on 7digital. Other places are about £15. I saw after I bought it that 7digital went a bit funny on this record, and I couldn't select it, but its the same price on onkyomusic (which looks like 7digital underneath).

Its rather good as well!

Had the same issue here with 7digital then tried Onkyomusic which as you say seems to be a front for 7digital given login details the same but they didn't like my PayPal details.

This is a great set and content and not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, just after a futher preview not sure I'm sold on Jakko's vocals.

7digital link back up now and well 30 tracks of 24bit for a fiver and it's Fripp...

I’m halfway through this, and I have to say it’s magnificent. Terrific (and more) recording (utterly drumtastic too), magisterial performances, outstanding value for money for lovers of all Crimso eras.

And I think Jakko’s Lake/Wetton voice* is just fine ????

I’d have missed out but for this heads up. Many thanks.

* as an aside I’d have loved Fripp’s plan to install Darryl Hall as vocalist way back then to have come to fruition. The Fripp produced Hall solo is a great taster of what we missed.

Posted on: 11 April 2018 by Alley Cat
Nick Lees posted:
AndyP19 posted:
AndyP19 posted:
sjt posted:

I got King Crimson Live in Vienna high res £5.49 on 7digital. Other places are about £15. I saw after I bought it that 7digital went a bit funny on this record, and I couldn't select it, but its the same price on onkyomusic (which looks like 7digital underneath).

Its rather good as well!

Had the same issue here with 7digital then tried Onkyomusic which as you say seems to be a front for 7digital given login details the same but they didn't like my PayPal details.

This is a great set and content and not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, just after a futher preview not sure I'm sold on Jakko's vocals.

7digital link back up now and well 30 tracks of 24bit for a fiver and it's Fripp...

I’m halfway through this, and I have to say it’s magnificent. Terrific (and more) recording (utterly drumtastic too), magisterial performances, outstanding value for money for lovers of all Crimso eras.

* as an aside I’d have loved Fripp’s plan to install Darryl Hall as vocalist way back then to have come to fruition. The Fripp produced Hall solo is a great taster of what we missed.

If this is the 5 track EP it's £4.79 on Qobuz for Sublime subscribers or £7.19 otherwise.

Posted on: 11 April 2018 by Nick Lees

No, this is the 30 track triple album!

Posted on: 14 April 2018 by AndyP19
Nick Lees posted:
AndyP19 posted:
AndyP19 posted:
sjt posted:

Its rather good as well!

I take it back re Jakko's vocals - not bad at all.

Perhaps Terre Roche fronting Crimson would have been interesting given her vocals on Exposure. 

Posted on: 19 April 2018 by Eoink

As pointed out by Ravenswood on the latest CD thread, Chandos have a sale of deleted CDs mainly  at £2.50.

Posted on: 25 April 2018 by Nick Lees

For those of you who like their music in a 70s Focus style, then Swedish band Agusa are selling their four album downloads for a cheap, cheap, cheap 16.80 Euros (plus taxes) all in.

They are excellent. This is a terrific bargain.

Bandcamp Link

Posted on: 26 April 2018 by AndyP19

Looking around for Neil Young's Roxy Tonight's The Night recent archive release in Hi Res there are some punchy numbers on Qobuz and 7digital but Hi Res Audio have a good price with an MQA18 code discount taking the price to around £14 which is the cheapest I could find.

Strange as this is billed as an 'MQA Studio' Flac 96 download. It is certainly a Flac 96 file and plays on my NDS.

Oh yes nearly forgot what we're here for - great recording of a wonderful show. Old Neil on top form despite the darkness of Tonight's The Night.

Posted on: 26 April 2018 by Motel Blues
AndyP19 posted:

Looking around for Neil Young's Roxy Tonight's The Night recent archive release in Hi Res there are some punchy numbers on Qobuz and 7digital but Hi Res Audio have a good price with an MQA18 code discount taking the price to around £14 which is the cheapest I could find.

IIRC 7Digital are selling it at 24/192 rather than Qobuz’s 24/96, which might affect the value for money judgment, depending how you value your numbers...

Posted on: 26 April 2018 by Alley Cat

Any Qobuz subscribers having emails that are not relevant recently - last week I had one listing a promo for e.a.r. records but links didn;t work and titles listed are not available to me.

Today there's a Deutsche Grammophon offer and when I use the link or website there's nothing on offer - unless there's been a pricing boo-boo again and they took it down

Posted on: 26 April 2018 by AndyP19
Motel Blues posted:
AndyP19 posted:

IIRC 7Digital are selling it at 24/192 rather than Qobuz’s 24/96, which might affect the value for money judgment, depending how you value your numbers...

Just shows you have to do your homework when buying this stuff.

By the way do hope your moniker is based on Loudon Wainwright song. Great cover version by Paul Jones.

Posted on: 26 April 2018 by Harry

I got the E.A.R. email from Qobuz. I managed to get to the material in the end but it wasn't a direct link from the email in my case either. I haven't seen the DG offer today. At least not yet.

Posted on: 26 April 2018 by Motel Blues
AndyP19 posted:

By the way do hope your moniker is based on Loudon Wainwright song. Great cover version by Paul Jones.

It is, although I know it mostly from Big Star's cover. Me and my QB were spending a lot of time in hotels when I joined here, so it seemed appropriate.

Posted on: 26 April 2018 by Bert Schurink
Alley Cat posted:

Any Qobuz subscribers having emails that are not relevant recently - last week I had one listing a promo for e.a.r. records but links didn;t work and titles listed are not available to me.

Today there's a Deutsche Grammophon offer and when I use the link or website there's nothing on offer - unless there's been a pricing boo-boo again and they took it down

It works, but just log in directly

Posted on: 06 May 2018 by AndyP19

Recent Roy Harper remasters on Qobuz with Bullinamingvase at £4.99

Also worth checking out is HQ and the brilliant Unknown Soldier which has the astonishing 'You' a duet with Kate Bush along with great guitar work from Dave Gilmour.

Posted on: 06 May 2018 by Nick Lees
AndyP19 posted:

Recent Roy Harper remasters on Qobuz with Bullinamingvase at £4.99

Also worth checking out is HQ and the brilliant Unknown Soldier which has the astonishing 'You' a duet with Kate Bush along with great guitar work from Dave Gilmour.

Ah, synchronicity Andy. A couple of days ago I was having a thrash of a few Led Zep tracks, which led me to play Stormcock (because of Jimmy Page’s contribution) which for me is unique. So I tried to re-acquaint myself with albums of Roy’s around that time, Bullinamingvase was one of them, but I failed to notice Is was a measly £4.99!

Posted on: 04 June 2018 by docbot

QOBUZ have got a special offer on at the mo for some good Hires albums. Just bagged a number of ECM recordings (Keith Jarrett, Tigran Hamasyan, Tord Gustavsen) for £5.49 and a couple of others for £4.99. These are on Sublime.

Posted on: 04 June 2018 by Nick Lees

Do you have a link? I can see no such offers in the UK.

Ah, stupid me. I see them ????

Posted on: 04 June 2018 by AndyP19

Nick can you post a link. 

Thanks Andy

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/se...es-at-special-price2

Posted on: 04 June 2018 by Eoink
Nick Lees posted:

Ooh, thanks Nick, I feel a spree coming on. 

Posted on: 04 June 2018 by Bert Schurink
Nick Lees posted:

In principle fantastic deals, unfortunately everything I would consider I already have,........

Posted on: 04 June 2018 by Dave***t

There are a few unexpectedly new things in the sale, for example the recent Gogo Penguin release, which I enjoyed more than I thought I might.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll have a proper look later.

This was Docbot's find. Like Bert I have most of the ones I want. But...there's always room for a wafer-thin mint...

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by docbot

A whole load of ECMs on offer on QOBUZ. £5.49 if you are on Sublime

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/la...oad-streaming-albums