Music on Special Offer Thread?

Posted by: sjt on 14 December 2016

I am wondering if it would be legit to have a thread in here dedicated to music album downloads from legitimate retailers that are currently on special offer.

As an example I was just looking through the what are you listening to mega thread just now and came across the Melody Gardot record because someone was listening to it. I have wanted this for a while but it was always expensive (about 20 quid). On a whim I went over to a place I usually go to buy music downloads and by a blind stroke of luck it was on special offer at just over half price. Deluxe edition is cheaper than the standard edition! I bought it straight away.

So I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to posting albums that are on special offer at the moment with not-so-subtle hints as to where you could get them from, when the offer expires and how much is knocked off etc, so people could see instantly anything that was on special. It would certainly be a thread I would come back to often.

I did a search and couldn't find anything like this in the forum, but usually the searches on these forums are rubbish so this is not a guarantee!

There might need to be a few rules, e.g. the poster has no affiliation with the seller, only legitimate download shops / sites etc.

Just a thought still in the half-bakery...

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by AndyP19

Anna Calvi Live at Meltdown 24bit on 7digital for £7.49 https://www.7digital.com/artis...12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2

One of the few new releases this week - what a great guitar player (and singer). 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by David Hendon

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but Linn Records have a bonus disc (of organ and choral music) relating to the Dunedin/Butt recording of Bach’s Christmas Oratorio that you can download for free at the moment in 192 kHz FLAC

best

David

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Stampie
AndyP19 posted:

Anna Calvi Live at Meltdown 24bit on 7digital for £7.49 https://www.7digital.com/artis...12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2

One of the few new releases this week - what a great guitar player (and singer). 

£7.19 at Qobuz UK - https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/al...-calvi/d3dkze9opl27b

Posted on: 23 December 2018 by Graham Russell

I'm not sure if this is a special price but the 10 disc box set is £38.52 on the river

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by AndyP19

A few bargains here from the Bleep.com 24bit Sale at £4.99. Seems like the Sale page isn't working so I had to wade through the 24 bit catalogue and there is a lot of weird stuff there.

Here are the gems:-

Caoilfhionn RoseAwaken https://bleep.com/release/1080...ilfhionn-rose-awaken

Ryley Walker The Lillywhite Sessions https://bleep.com/release/1206...-lillywhite-sessions

PhosphorescentC'est La Vie https://bleep.com/release/1099...orescent-cest-la-vie

Lump - Lump https://bleep.com/release/103058-lump-lump

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by Motel Blues

A couple of Anthony Braxton compilations are available for free download on Bandcamp. (Credit due to the spotter on PFM.)

https://newbraxtonhouse.bandca...on-archives-volume-1

https://newbraxtonhouse.bandca...on-archives-volume-2

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by nickpeacock

bleep.com has 50% off all Warp digital downloads until end tomorrow (31st December). Some 24/96 included.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by AndyP19
nickpeacock posted:

bleep.com has 50% off all Warp digital downloads until end tomorrow (31st December). Some 24/96 included.

I had a look through this the other day and the 24/96 are a bargain price but I couldn’t spot anything that set the pulse racing. I have some Broadcast, Gravenhurst, Grizzly Bear and Eno of course.

I’d welcome any recommendations.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by nickpeacock

[@mention:32118649575894026]

Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children is compulsory (after that, the Beautiful Place EP, then Campfire Headphase, and everything else after that)

You have Gravenhurst’s Fires in Distant Buildings, right?

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92, again compulsory 

Autechre - Incunabula

Plaid - Induction

The Artificial Intelligence compilations are good, and there are a few Warp compilations (I think called Warp10 or Warp20, including a remix album).

I googled ‘warp best albums’ and bought a couple from the list...

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by AndyP19

Thanks for that I have the Boards if Canada Music has the right to children and yes I have the wonderful Gravenhurst Fires in distant buildings.

Oh and some Squarepusher from a few years back and a couple of early Nightmare on Wax.

I’ll check out the others you mention and try the search best Warp albums. Thanks Andy

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Nick Lees

Have a listen to Oneohtrix Point Never’s Age Of

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Dave***t

Should it please anyone, having checked the bleep link, I decided to put the Bleep’s 100 best tracks of 2018 sampler into a Spotify playlist for later playing/perusal.

Click here.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by ewemon

10 disc set a little over 15 squid on the river.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by Eoink
ewemon posted:

10 disc set a little over 15 squid on the river.

Hopefully they restock, I’ve just bagged the second-last copy. Thanks Ewemon!

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by ewemon

This is a fantastic set of 20 discs on the French Vogue label only a shade over 25 squid on the river.

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by sjt
AndyP19 posted:
nickpeacock posted:

I had a look through this the other day and the 24/96 are a bargain price but I couldn’t spot anything that set the pulse racing. I have some Broadcast, Gravenhurst, Grizzly Bear and Eno of course.

I’d welcome any recommendations.

I got Time Tourist by B12 because it was mentioned in this article on Darko Audio. I also got the Warp 1992 sampler Artificial Intelligence because its seminal. Both were half price. I also got the main record mentioned in the Darko article, Traveller by Morphology and this wasnt half price but it is all good!

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Dan Steel

This vinyl is on offer for £5.99 on the river. Just replaced my ageing copy. ????

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Richard Dane
Dan Steel posted:

This vinyl is on offer for £5.99 on the river. Just replaced my ageing copy. ????

I wasn't aware that a vinyl issue is currently available of this one. Are you sure it's for the vinyl?  Looking at the relevant Amazon page it appears to be the CD, but mislabelled.

Richard Dane posted:
Dan Steel posted:

I wasn't aware that a vinyl issue is currently available of this one. Are you sure it's for the vinyl?  Looking at the relevant Amazon page it appears to be the CD, but mislabelled.

It will go straight back if it is the cd. ????

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Clive B
Dan Steel posted:
Richard Dane posted:
Dan Steel posted:

It looks like the vinyl to me. Have a look at the track listing. I found a CD listing for it which contains alternate takes. Grab the vinyl while you can.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by AndyP19
Clive B posted:
Dan Steel posted:
Richard Dane posted:
Dan Steel posted:

It looks like the vinyl to me. Have a look at the track listing. I found a CD listing for it which contains alternate takes. Grab the vinyl while you can.

All very strange. Did you check out the reviews 2 and 1 stars. You've either bought a CD or Vinyl (errr!) confusing. But what is more bizarre is the product description:

Product description

CROSBY STILLS NASH & YOUNG D?j? Vu (1970 UK first issue 10-track stereo vinyl LP textured gatefold picture sleeve with gold embossed lettering & front pasted photograph. The sleeve shows just a little shelfwear and edge scuffing not uncommonwith this design & the vinyl remains in excellent condition with few signs of play)

Caveat emptor I guess....

AndyP19 posted:
Clive B posted:
Dan Steel posted:
Richard Dane posted:
Dan Steel posted:

All very strange. Did you check out the reviews 2 and 1 stars. You've either bought a CD or Vinyl (errr!) confusing. But what is more bizarre is the product description:

Product description

CROSBY STILLS NASH & YOUNG D?j? Vu (1970 UK first issue 10-track stereo vinyl LP textured gatefold picture sleeve with gold embossed lettering & front pasted photograph. The sleeve shows just a little shelfwear and edge scuffing not uncommonwith this design & the vinyl remains in excellent condition with few signs of play)

Caveat emptor I guess....

I checked up with Amazon and they assured me it is the vinyl Ed and not cd. Will have to see what comes on Friday ????

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Richard Dane

According to Discogs there's no currently available reissue of this one available on vinyl.  Last one was the Classic Records reissue from 2005. Of course, it could be an unofficial release...

Typical Amazon, probably end up sending me ABBA

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Tony2011

Cheers, Dan. Just took a punt and bought it to give  my original copy a break. Anything dodgy, it goes back. That’s the beauty of Amazon: returns with no quibble!