NDX and Chord Hugo

Posted by: Foxman50 on 18 April 2014

I have been contemplating adding a DAC to my NDX/XPS2 to see (or should that be hear) what it can bring to the party. And so thought it about time i made inroads into Having a few home demos. After looking around at products that are within my budget i came across the Chord Hugo DAC.

Although it is meant to be a portable headphone unit, it can be used as a full line level fixed DAC.

The dealer lent me a TQ black digital coax lead, which have twist grip plugs. This was required as the present batch of Hugo's have a case design fault that wont allow any decent cable to fit, soon to be rectified. Thankfully the TQ just manages to hang on to the coax port.

Once all connected and gone through the minimal setup procedure of the Hugo, what does the red LED mean again, i left it to warm up for half an hour.

Poured a beer and sat down for an evenings listening.

What was that, where did that come from, that's what that instrument is. OMG, as my little'n would say, Where is it getting all this detail from.

After spending last night and today with it, all i can say is that it has totally transformed my system from top to bottom. I never considered my NDX to be veiled or shut in, not even sure that's the correct terms. All i can say is its opened up the sound stage and space around instruments. Everything I've put through it has had my toes, feet and legs tapping away to the music.

Even putting the toe tapping, the resolution the clarity to one side, what its greatest achievement for me has been in making albums that I've had trouble listening too enjoyable now.

One added bonus is that it has made the XPS redundant. I cannot hear any difference with it in or out of the system.

While i thought a DAC may make a change in the degree of the jump from ND5 to NDX, i was not prepared for this. Anyone looking at adding a PSU to there NDX may want to check this unit out first.

For me this has to be the bargain of the year.

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by PhilP
Originally Posted by Foxman50:

Originally Posted by dave4jazz:

Slightly off topic, but this thread does seem to have veered violently at times on it's long journey, however a couple of points stick in my head:

1. Would anyone advise someone to spend £2-3K on a streamer product to then not use the DAC section but shell out another £1,400 for that privilege?

Definitely if it sounds as good as a system costing £12K

2.  Does SQ always trump functionality?

Nope, which is why i wouldn't use it as a pre amp

Dave

You  don't need to spend £2-3k. It's possible to buy an excellent 'renderer' (streamer without a redundant DAC) for £1k e.g Moon Mind or Auralic Aries.  

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by Tabby cat

Got a Hugo next saturday for a couple of weeks of home evaluation.Using it with a Nagra CDP as a transport.

Really excited.From what posters have been saying it sounds like we have gone up a level in DACs.

My main system is Nagra PLL line stage and a Dartzeel NHB 108 poweramp into Quad 2805's and has amazing transparancy and soundstage.So throwing the Hugo into the mix from what posters have said with more detail coming threw sounds like a no brainer.

Will update you when Hugo arrives

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by Foxman50
Originally Posted by Tabby cat:

Got a Hugo next saturday for a couple of weeks of home evaluation.Using it with a Nagra CDP as a transport.

Really excited.From what posters have been saying it sounds like we have gone up a level in DACs.

My main system is Nagra PLL line stage and a Dartzeel NHB 108 poweramp into Quad 2805's and has amazing transparancy and soundstage.So throwing the Hugo into the mix from what posters have said with more detail coming threw sounds like a no brainer.

Will update you when Hugo arrives

Nice system Tabby cat, bet that sounds wonderful as it is.

Graeme

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by dave4jazz
Originally Posted by PhilP:

Slightly off topic, but this thread does seem to have veered violently at times on it's long journey, however a couple of points stick in my head:

1. Would anyone advise someone to spend £2-3K on a streamer product to then not use the DAC section but shell out another £1,400 for that privilege?

Dave

You  don't need to spend £2-3k. It's possible to buy an excellent 'renderer' (streamer without a redundant DAC) for £1k e.g Moon Mind or Auralic Aries.  

I agree, I was just asking the question as the thread is comparing HDX and Hugo. Personally I'm very happy with my SBT(EDO)->DAC-V1 combination. At £200, for the SBT, on that well known auction site, it's a steal.

Dave 

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by PhilP
Originally Posted by PhilP:

Dave

I agree, I was just asking the question as the thread is comparing HDX and Hugo. Personally I'm very happy with my SBT(EDO)->DAC-V1 combination. At £200, for the SBT, on that well known auction site, it's a steal.

Dave 

With Culllen mods, of course

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by analogmusic
It's definitely you Graeme.

Coming on a Naim forum and posting endlessly about the Hugo.

Whatever. Hugo is yesterday's news.

Originally Posted by analogmusic:
Hi Simon

I want a DAC that can polish a turd  

and that can color and sweeten that turd a bit 

I don't like musical turds 

Honesty isn't always the best policy

I'm the person who uses DSP on all the music I play anyway. I never to listen a recording "bare". It must be processed for me. and I too when I can, listen and enjoy music till the early hours, when possible on the weekends and everyone is asleep. 

Another alternative point of view. Hugo is not the end all for everyone

Cheers
Analog

Analog

i find your posts very strange. You say how your V1 is so perfect for you and how Naim know how you like your music. Then you say you push all your music through some form of DSP processor so you don't  listen to it bare.

Is it just me or are you always contradicting yourself.

Oh and don't stop posting until you've heard Hugo, i need my evening laugh reading your posts.

Graeme

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by Josipo
Originally Posted by KRM:

Qobuz uses FLAC at CD quality so it's too good for Blue Tooth from iPad. I wouldn't expect to need an adaptor, just the bundled 30 pin to USB connector.

Keith

I'm listening at the moment qobuz via USB connection kit to Hugo. Qobuz is streaming CD quality, however Hugo streaming quality indicator is red, meaning 320 mb/s mp3 I think

Please go buy a Naim amp first.

then come back here and talk.

You're really just fooling around until you have a real Naim amplifier.

And also, Naim sources never, but never get the bass guitar wrong

If the bass is wrong, the whole musical message is messed up beyond repair.

as a musician myself, it's an unforgivable mistake to make.

No point getting other details right if you can't hear what the bass guitar player is doing. The speed, timing, energy, the way he is playing.

OK so its about the bass, OK got that

When I have the DAC V1 playing movies, it makes my REL quake sound like another subwoofer altogether, and the quality of bass exceeds what I hear in the cinema. Of course not quantity, but quality is so much more enjoyable.

And in this department Naim is the best 

and that's what has always amazed me to Naim, how they get and understand what music is all about, and how they are able to manufacture kit that musicians fall in love with from the first few seconds of replay.

As the founder of Naim said, music is about people

If you can't hear what the people on the record are doing, there isn't much point.

Oh OK its about the people, OK got that

One of the most memorable demonstrations I ever had, ever, was of a NDAC/XPS2 into 282/HC/250 and what was so interesting was not the additional level of detail over what I had at the time (Nait XS), which was barely audible to me, but the sheer articulation of the bass guitar player, and the kick drum.

It was most incredible to hear. and bass articulation must be heard to be understood what level of enjoyment of brings to the table.

Oh now hang on a damn minute, is it the bass or the people. Oh its about the bass and the people. Few thats OK then cause thats where Hugo excels 

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by Aleg
Originally Posted by Josipo:

Qobuz uses FLAC at CD quality so it's too good for Blue Tooth from iPad. I wouldn't expect to need an adaptor, just the bundled 30 pin to USB connector.

Keith

I'm listening at the moment qobuz via USB connection kit to Hugo. Qobuz is streaming CD quality, however Hugo streaming quality indicator is red, meaning 320 mb/s mp3 I think

Nope, red means 44.1 kHz sample rate.

there should be a manual with the Hugo explaining the colour codes.

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by joerand

But I will have to listen to this Hugo.

I promise not to post anymore on this till I have had a listen. Which may take a while.

Shallow words, obviously.

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by Steve J

How about a NAP500? Plenty of PRaT and bass definition with the Hugo. You should try that combo.

Most people with the Hugo are using Naim amps.  Who are you to be critical of Foxman's choice of amps? Now you're just being plain rude and disrespectful.

I clearly said I would not post anything more on the Hugo.

responding to Graeme is another topic.

Originally Posted by joerand:

But I will have to listen to this Hugo.

I promise not to post anymore on this till I have had a listen. Which may take a while.

Shallow words, obviously.

Graeme was being disrespectful of my thoughts on Naim sources first.

Anyway, Graeme listens with a Non Naim amplifier and now a non naim source, so why on the Naim forum?

Originally Posted by Steve J:

How about a NAP500? Plenty of PRaT and bass definition with the Hugo. You should try that combo.

Most people with the Hugo are using Naim amps.  Who are you to be critical of Foxman's choice of amps? Now you're just being plain rude and disrespectful.

You're just trolling now. You remind me of the Swami. 

It's a valid question

Why is a person with Non Naim amplifier and no Naim source posting here?

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by KRM

Beause he owns an NDX?

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by cvrle

Somewhere, by someone, long time ago..."You can't handle the truth"!

Well... Just saying if the Hugo is as good as Graeme is saying then what is he waiting for. It deserves a Naim amp
Posted on: 04 July 2014 by gary yeowell

I don't think it a requirement to have any Naim kit to post here. Plenty of people have had Naim in the past, moved on, and still post…. Ok by me.

Yes of course.

Well... Just saying if the Hugo is as good as Graeme is saying then what is he waiting for. It deserves a Naim amp

That's not what you were saying.

Posted on: 04 July 2014 by Foxman50
Originally Posted by Steve J:

That's not what you were saying.

What Analog contradicting himself. I've never noticed that before.

Posted on: 05 July 2014 by KRM

There is an issue , although not the one Analogue was making. The issue is that people who have non-Naim or partial Naim systems may have different tastes from many Naim owners and also the Hugo may sound different in their systems. It's not big issue because we all have different systems and the Hugo will not sound the same in every setup or room.

Simon's system is more Naim than Graeme's but he prefers the nDAC to the NDS. Steve has a high end Naim rig but hasn't compared his Hugo to the NDS yet (although he has compared the price!). We can always find ways to discount indvidual views (I don't suppose anyone here has bought an Achromat on my recommedation), but there are too many people raving about the Hugo for it to dismissed lightly, especially for the likes of me who haven't heard the flippin' thing.

Keith

Posted on: 05 July 2014 by Foxman50
especially for the likes of me who haven't heard the flippin' thing.

Well Keith get yourself down your local dealer and get a Hugo injection.

Posted on: 05 July 2014 by analogmusic
That was my point also, that Graeme is hearing the hugo through a non naim amp, and isn't listening to the way of presenting music that Naim amps do.

hence, I am not sure how relevant his comments are to this forum

Fortunately there are views about the hugo from others who do have Naim amps.

There is an issue , although not the one Analogue was making. The issue is that people who have non-Naim or partial Naim systems may have different tastes from many Naim owners and also the Hugo may sound different in their systems. It's not big issue because we all have different systems and the Hugo will not sound the same in every setup or room.

Simon's system is more Naim than Graeme's but he prefers the nDAC to the NDS. Steve has a high end Naim rig but hasn't compared his Hugo to the NDS yet (although he has compared the price!). We can always find ways to discount indvidual views (I don't suppose anyone here has bought an Achromat on my recommedation), but there are too many people raving about the Hugo for it to dismissed lightly, especially for the likes of me who haven't heard the flippin' thing.

Keith