Football season 2018/19

Posted by: Kevin-W on 15 July 2018

Now the World Cup's over, it's time to turn our attention to the domestic leagues in the UK, Europe, South America and elsewhere...

So here's a thread for all matters pertaining to the 2018/19 season - whether you follow one of the giants like Barca, Real, Juve, Man City or Corinthians; or a non-league side.

All are welcome - and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Posted on: 09 September 2018 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:

Meant to say to you, Mike, I met Crouchie in Commercial Rd on Saturday before the game. Nicest man in football.

Gosh.  I'm impressed. Yes, he seems a nice down-to-earth guy who is prepared to laugh at himself. Much better with his feet than many people gave him credit for, too.  

Posted on: 09 September 2018 by Bob the Builder
Christopher_M posted:

Meant to say to you, Mike, I met Crouchie in Commercial Rd on Saturday before the game. Nicest man in football.

And gave one of the funniest and most repeated answers in football. 

When asked by Johnothan Ross what he would have been if he wasn't a professional footballer?  He answered

a virgin.

Posted on: 09 September 2018 by Christopher_M
MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Gosh.  I'm impressed. Yes, he seems a nice down-to-earth guy who is prepared to laugh at himself. Much better with his feet than many people gave him credit for, too.  

I've always thought that too.

Really nice guy and the fans love him, rightly. Articulate, straight talking, funny.

Posted on: 12 September 2018 by dave marshall

I see that Hugo Lloris now has more points than Spurs. 

Posted on: 15 September 2018 by MDS

Big, big result for my lot away at Peterborough today. Very pleased with that win. Best result of the season so far. 

Posted on: 15 September 2018 by dave marshall

Last gasp saver for The Mighty Whites today, who remain top of The Championship ............ whew!

dave marshall posted:

Last gasp saver for The Mighty Whites today, who remain top of The Championship ............ whew!

Always a sign of a club capable of achieving something when they are able to grind out results when not playing at their best. 

Posted on: 15 September 2018 by Christopher_M

From the Beeb's online Scottish Premiership coverage:

Linn on song

FT: Arbroath 3-1 Forfar Athletic

Arguably the player of the day is Arbroath's Bobby Linn.

Christopher_M posted:

From the Beeb's online Scottish Premiership coverage:

Linn on song

FT: Arbroath 3-1 Forfar Athletic

Arguably the player of the day is Arbroath's Bobby Linn.

Bet he takes forever with his set-pieces, even if they are worth the effort. 

Posted on: 15 September 2018 by Mike Hughes

The deep and rare joy of watching a Wrexham game where the match is basically over by 25 minutes. 4 great goals too. Just a bit worried Huddersfield might want Pike back if he keeps scoring back heels.

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Kevin-W

A good weekend in the PL - Wolves continue to prove good value, Spuds lose again and the mighty Irons get their first points of the season with a very convincing away win against the soft-centred Toffees.

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by MDS

I was sorry to learn of Kevin Beattie's death this afternoon. A very fine player and part of a very fine Ipswich team. RIP 

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Tabby cat

Kev,

Loving the West Ham win.They so needed that and listening to some on the radio they wanted it more.Also Pellagrinis 65th Birthday today so what better than 3 points.I think the season has turned a corner.From what I have heard on Talk sport they have played really well in all of their other matches but just unlucky.

Loving the city result with Fulham yesterday.Good to Leroy Sane back and scoring after 2 mins an easy goal I know but would have given him a confidence boost.Also loved the 2 old ladies 105 and 97 who have been long time City supporters walking out at the start with the squad.Nice pic Vinny with them.

Liverpool looked great with Spurs although so unlucky that they didn't get the penalty which the ref didn't see at 2-1.Spurs looked better when Song came on I thought.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/11E26/production/_103445237_kompany.jpghttps://e3.365dm.com/18/09/768x432/skysports-andriy-yarmolenko_4423278.jpg

Seeing that pic of Kompany, I hope you've caught up with that fly-on-the wall series on Amazon about Man City, Ian.  

Having seen it, Kompany has gone up in my estimation, both as a captain but perhaps more as down-to-earth guy. Without spoiling things, the final episode has him watching football on TV at his father-in-law's. Well, well worth a watch. You'll very much relate to it, Ian. 

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Tabby cat

Hi Mike,

Yes saw it all a couple of weekends ago as someone put it all on Youtube.It got taken down though but I made a point of watching it all.Thought it was a superb documentary.Little things I liked was the photography and seeing alot of the prem grounds.Also the amount of back room people involved with the club.Kit people,dieticians,sports scientists,tactical assistants for Pep.It also struck me was how everything was as good as it could be with regard the training pitches,gyms,restuarant's,changing rooms.....no gray areas at all.

Yeah thoroughly enjoyed it.Also as a neautral it tells a great story of a football club season.

Pleased for you and your Pompey....20 points....very nice   

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by Kevin-W

I agree - that doc was very good, and Pep and Kompany both came across as extremely impessive individuals. Hell, even the chairman came across well (contrast with the Dildos!). Loved the lad who looked after the kit as well...

Posted on: 16 September 2018 by wenger2015
MDS posted:

I was sorry to learn of Kevin Beattie's death this afternoon. A very fine player and part of a very fine Ipswich team. RIP 

That is sad news, I thinking he was one of Bobby Robsons dream team

Tabby cat posted:

Hi Mike,

Yes saw it all a couple of weekends ago as someone put it all on Youtube.It got taken down though but I made a point of watching it all.Thought it was a superb documentary.Little things I liked was the photography and seeing alot of the prem grounds.Also the amount of back room people involved with the club.Kit people,dieticians,sports scientists,tactical assistants for Pep.It also struck me was how everything was as good as it could be with regard the training pitches,gyms,restuarant's,changing rooms.....no gray areas at all.

Yeah thoroughly enjoyed it.Also as a neautral it tells a great story of a football club season.

Pleased for you and your Pompey....20 points....very nice   

That's good news, Ian.  As a neutral I enjoyed it. I imagine it was even better for a City fan.  Like Kevin-W, I thought the kit guy was a star, as were a few of the other backroom staff, like the laundry ladies comparing the underwear

I also found it interesting that the camera caught Pep fretting about the Liverpool forward line ahead of their Champions League first leg. Prescient. 

Can't imagine many club owners would have agreed to something like this.     

Mike

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by Christopher_M

Saints somehow allowed Brighton back into it and it ended 2-2 last night, Saints having been two up after about an hour.

We can talk about resilience, character, game management, tactics, but something's wrong somewhere because we seem to failing to capitalise on winning positions.

I watched the team get off the bus when they arrived at the ground. Not many of them looked that relaxed, Hughes especially looking tense. But at least he wasn't gazing at the floor like so many of the players.

Next three games, Liverpool (A), Wolves (A), Cheslea (H). Eeeeek!

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by MDS

Hi Chris.  I could perhaps understand if a 2-goal lead at home was lost against one of the clubs vying for Champions League positions but it's hard to forgive when the opposition is likely to be happy to avoid relegation.  As you say, it hints as something not quite right with team spirit. As for Hughes, I think that's his default expression. I've always thought of him as something of  a miserable bu**er, even as a player, so I wouldn't read anything into that.  

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by Christopher_M

Thanks Mike. In an attempt to put it as pithily as possible I think there's something of a disconnect between the much touted 'matchday experience' and the actual football that's served up :-)))

Posted on: 18 September 2018 by MDS

Well done Liverpool in the Champions League this evening. Served up another thrilling game. Klopp's attacking play and faith in bringing on a forward after PSG had come back was properly rewarded. Pochettino's caution In Milan earlier was in stark contrast.      

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Wugged Woy

I think Levy should pay us long suffering Spurs fans for the usual roller coaster ride that we have to endure……..

Mental torture.

It's soooo frustrating being a Spud. 

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Kevin-W
Wugged Woy posted:

It's soooo frustrating being a Spud. 

Don't look to me for sympathy!

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

Arsenal again look decent going forward but look just the opposite at the back. I am beginning to see though after the last few games bits of what Emery is trying to achieve the high press only works if you have players with the correct type of defensive mindset. Better though.