Football season 2018/19

Posted by: Kevin-W on 15 July 2018

Now the World Cup's over, it's time to turn our attention to the domestic leagues in the UK, Europe, South America and elsewhere...

So here's a thread for all matters pertaining to the 2018/19 season - whether you follow one of the giants like Barca, Real, Juve, Man City or Corinthians; or a non-league side.

All are welcome - and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by Christopher_M

I'm sincerely hoping that Mark Hughes makes makes some meaningful changes for tonight's League Cup game at Goodison. Hopefully those changes translate into a transformation of Saints' fortunes in the Prem. At the moment it feels like something is very, very wrong.

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by MDS

Surely Hughes will be prioritising the PL, Chris.  The League Cup seems a long way down the top teams' interests these days. Winning it doesn't even get you into Europe any more.

Mike 

Posted on: 02 October 2018 by MDS

Another win away for Pompey tonight at Coventry and with the other results going our way we've now got a six point cushion above the play-off places.  Can't quite believe how well the first quarter of the season has gone. 

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by Christopher_M

^ Good for you Mike. I'm troubled my lot's ability to throw away points from winning positions.

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by MDS

Thanks, Chris. I see the Saints managed to overcome the Toffees in the EFL.  Maybe that will provide a dose of confidence. 

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by MDS

I don't think Spurs can have any complaints this evening. Barca were head & shoulders above them.  On the positive side, I thought Winks played well.  But Sissoko coming on a sub? I'm reminded again what a waste of money he is.   

Posted on: 03 October 2018 by wenger2015
MDS posted:

I don't think Spurs can have any complaints this evening. Barca were head & shoulders above them.  On the positive side, I thought Winks played well.  But Sissoko coming on a sub? I'm reminded again what a waste of money he is.   

Unfortunately that’s a spot on analysis... that said a class goal by Kane 

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by wenger2015

I wonder if Jose Mourinho needs to win today to save his job?

Personally I think he is still one of the top managers but has he ‘lost the dressing room’ as they say??

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Christopher_M

I can barely believe what I am reading about him on the BBC site.

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by MDS

Crazy talk about Mourinho. I fully expect Utd to beat a poor Newcastle today but in any event it's still early in the season, after 2 group games Man U are better placed in the Champions League than Liverpool or Man City, and his track record is unquestionable.  Yes, there's clearly some unhappiness in the Man U camp, especially with the moody Pogba.  That's a battle the manager has to win. Fergie would have.  The Man U owners would be very foolish to sack Mourinho. They should also be looking at themselves. After all, who brought in Moyes? 

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by wenger2015

I think unfortunately the Man Utd  Boardroom seems to be full of Business men as opposed to Football men.

Gary Neville had a lot to say on the matter, as reported on sky, and I agree with him completely.

Let Mourinho do his job...

Posted on: 06 October 2018 by Tabby cat

Kev,

Speaking to a mate today,he said Brighton where very lucky to get the win.I dipped in and out last night on the radio.And they said West Ham where really going at Brighton especially in the 2nd half.My mate also said that Brighton's Dunk and Duffy where superb in defense dealing with West Ham.

Going to be massive Liverpool - City tomorrow can't wait.2 brilliant managers going head to head.Lets hope they don't give us the reception we got last season in the Champions Leauge at Anfield...............Like going into some bloody warzone.........WTF !..........Man United 2-0 down with Newcastle at half time......       

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/D4DC/production/_103729445_mancitybus_getty.jpg

Posted on: 07 October 2018 by Christopher_M

When I see Maurizio Sarri on the touchline in his loose-fitting Chelsea training kit, as this afternoon at St Mary's, I always think he looks like a surgeon in his scrubs, on ER.

Saints were comprehensively cut open.

I'm hoping we will make a miraculous recovery for Newcastle, after the break.

Posted on: 08 October 2018 by Tabby cat

Well Liverpool City was a disapointment.Shame Maurez missed the penalty but thats football sometimes.

Jose on post match after the Newcastle result I thought he came over really well.I liked his comments at half time about the Man hunt - Talking 4 mins about the football and the rest about human fellings.Fair play to United for turning it around at 2-0 down at half time.

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Nick Lees

Goodbye Deadly Doug, 6 short of his century.

Helped save Villa from oblivion in ‘68, stropped off to Birmingham City and then Wolves while we won the League and European Cup, came back and relegated us, appointed a string of very good managers that brought us success, made a fortune from us, gave a serious chunk of that to charity, and gave us one of the few chuckles of recent years:

Has a claim to have invented the modern package holiday, and (far more dubiously) the bicycle kick (yes he really did claim that).

For good or ill, he’s earned his rest.

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Bob the Builder

Another decent win for Arsenal at the weekend. After loosing to both Man City and Chelsea in the first two games of the season I’m looking forward to facing Liverpool in a couple of weeks as it will say more about Unai Emery’s influence than winning 5-1 at Fulham no disrespect to them but it is against the better sides that you see how far you have come. 

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by wenger2015
Bob the Builder posted:

Another decent win for Arsenal at the weekend. After loosing to both Man City and Chelsea in the first two games of the season I’m looking forward to facing Liverpool in a couple of weeks as it will say more about Unai Emery’s influence than winning 5-1 at Fulham no disrespect to them but it is against the better sides that you see how far you have come. 

If we can tighten up defensively we could have the basis of a really strong team..... 

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by Bob the Builder
wenger2015 posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

If we can tighten up defensively we could have the basis of a really strong team..... 

Yes 100% right and perhaps the reason why Ramsey might go is to fund the buying of more defensive players although I would be sad to see Aaron go he has never fulfilled his potential at Arsenal for what ever reason flashes of brilliance followed by injury or inconsistencies but still I would keep him. 

Lacazette is absolutely thriving under Emery and seems to be developing a real bond both on and off the pitch with Aubameyang who looks like he has been with us for ever and is an Arsenal player right down to his boots which is fantastic. 

One or two defensive signings of the right caliber and this side could be a frightening proposition to play against. 

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by MDS

First time this season I've watched Arsenal on TV for a full game was against Fulham last Sunday.  I was surprised at how confident and organised they looked going forward. I thought the new manager would take longer to re-set things. Hard to judge the effectiveness of their defence as Fulham didn't pose much of a threat.

Given the Gunners resurgence I'm a bit surprised that Ramsey seems set to leave. He's now getting game time and is looking effective.  It looks like wages are the stumbling block. Given his fitness record I suppose there's some nervousness in the club but I would have thought that could be covered by gearing some of the contract to appearances. In any event, won't any new recruit of a calibre to replace him demand a high wage?  

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by wenger2015

I have always been a fan of Ramsey, I still think he has a lot to offer.....it would be a shame to see him go

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by Mike Hughes

Wonderful team goal. Sublime from start to end. If only he could do that for Wales in more than the one tournament. Repeatedly awful in qualifying games.

In other news, on non-league day both Salford and Harrogate get post 90th minute goals to bail themselves out and prevent Wrexham AFC going top.

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by MDS

Watched on iFollow my lot grind out a 1-0 win against a very cautious but well-organised Fleetwood Town this afternoon.  Unbelievably, we are now six points clear at the top of League One.  Heady days but, to be honest, in most games we've just done 'enough'.  Not complaining though. PUP    

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by wenger2015
MDS posted:

Watched on iFollow my lot grind out a 1-0 win against a very cautious but well-organised Fleetwood Town this afternoon.  Unbelievably, we are now six points clear at the top of League One.  Heady days but, to be honest, in most games we've just done 'enough'.  Not complaining though. PUP    

If it was  Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal ect  the pundits would say ‘sign of a good team’.... best of luck for the rest of the season 

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by MDS

Thank you, wenger2015. You are indeed a generous man.  

Posted on: 20 October 2018 by Kevin-W

Bah! Beaten by the filth!