Football season 2018/19

Posted by: Kevin-W on 15 July 2018

Now the World Cup's over, it's time to turn our attention to the domestic leagues in the UK, Europe, South America and elsewhere...

So here's a thread for all matters pertaining to the 2018/19 season - whether you follow one of the giants like Barca, Real, Juve, Man City or Corinthians; or a non-league side.

All are welcome - and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Bob the Builder

And to be clear I'd be an idiot to exchange one trophy for three to go unbeaten of course I'd rather a treble.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Daveas
Bob the Builder posted:
Daveas posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
Daveas posted:

Call me pedantic.  Arsenal had a great team in Season 2003/4. They had a fine season, Unbeaten in the league - yes (although they drew 12 games, (thats nearly a 1/3) but they lost to Chelsea in the Champions League, Middlesbrough twice in the League Cup and To Manchester United in the FA Cup.  Invisibility may have helped but they weren't invincible.

It is ancient history of course but to go unbeaten through an entire Premier League season is an achievement that will  never be repeated,  the amount of draws doesn't come into it and the League Cup, FA Cup and the Champions League are not Premier League matches they are cup games.

So they were invincible in the Premier League because they were unbeaten and if you need a reminder of how difficult it is Fergie's treble winning side couldn't do it and as good as the current Man City side is they have not and will not be able to do it because the league is much, much more difficult now and much more competative which is exactly why it will not be repeated.

It may well never be repeated and I'm not knocking Arsenal's achievement, its semantics. You're either invincible or you're not, It would be interesting to see whether others would prefer their teams to 'do the treble' or go through a league season unbeaten.

Hold on a minute I didn't say I'd prefer my team to go unbeaten than win a treble are you one of those really annoying people that keeps changing the parameters of a discussion to prove your original but different point your not a politician are you Dave? 

Annoying  yes. Politician No.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by ynwa250505

Heard a strong rumour that West Ham are interested in signing Mohammad Daddoggi from FC Bruge. The director of football contacted Bruge and asked how much is Daddoggi in the window ...

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by MDS

Well, if you're going to nick a game 1-0, scoring in the 95th minute is probably the best way to do it.  Delia's Canaries couldn't hack it against Jackett.    

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Bruce Woodhouse

Is there anyone else who thinks Man City could have eased back a bit and given burton a little respect and dignity last night? Maybe they will field their youth team in the second leg and keep the aggregate manageable.

I recall Bradford City getting to the final a few years ago after a fantastic run and although soundly beaten they were clapped off the pitch by a Swansea guard of honour when they collected their runners-up medals. Would City be so classy?

Bruce

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by MDS

Actually, Bruce, I thought Man City showed Burton a good deal of respect in picking such a strong team to play them. I'm sure the Burton players will have appreciated that and will recount the experience many times over the rest of their lifetimes. Far better than coming up against some kids from the academy and some reserves, as some of the bigger teams fielded in last weekend's 3rd Round of the FA Cup. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Bruce Woodhouse

MDS

A different perspective, not really thought of it that way. Thanks.

Bruce

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Tabby cat
MDS posted:

Actually, Bruce, I thought Man City showed Burton a good deal of respect in picking such a strong team to play them. I'm sure the Burton players will have appreciated that and will recount the experience many times over the rest of their lifetimes. Far better than coming up against some kids from the academy and some reserves, as some of the bigger teams fielded in last weekend's 3rd Round of the FA Cup. 

Mike,

I would have thought at half time in the dressing room Pep would have been demanding more goals from the squad and they didn't disappoint.Can't for one minute think Pep would be saying ease back show them respect ! This is sport and results matter.I watched the game and it was a joy the way the midfield where running circles round them.KDB is getting sharper now and Mendy should be back next month.Looking forward to how the Prem fight with Liverpool plays out.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Bob the Builder
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Is there anyone else who thinks Man City could have eased back a bit and given burton a little respect and dignity last night? Maybe they will field their youth team in the second leg and keep the aggregate manageable.

I recall Bradford City getting to the final a few years ago after a fantastic run and although soundly beaten they were clapped off the pitch by a Swansea guard of honour when they collected their runners-up medals. Would City be so classy?

Bruce

Bruce 

I agree wholeheartedly Man City could have eased back a bit there. 

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Christopher_M

I am very, very proud of my Saints this afternoon after a 2-1 win, away at Leicester. That after going one up, having a man sent off, then scoring another, ok, conceding one in the scond half but holding on for the three points. This is not the Southampton I know!  :-)

Elsewhere I hear Kevin's lot won too....

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Suzy Wong
Christopher_M posted:

I am very, very proud of my Saints this afternoon after a 2-1 win, away at Leicester. That after going one up, having a man sent off, then scoring another, ok, conceding one in the scond half but holding on for the three points. This is not the Southampton I know!  :-)

I might just watch MOTD tonight

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by MDS
Suzy Wong posted:
Christopher_M posted:

A big, big result. Especially with 10 men for the second half.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Suzy Wong
MDS posted:
Suzy Wong posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Quite! I was listening in the car on the way back from B&Q when the Foxes “pulled one back”. Inevitably my thoughts were “Here we go again”........

BTW Mike, what went wrong with the Blues?

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by MDS
Suzy Wong posted:
MDS posted:
Suzy Wong posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Quite! I was listening in the car on the way back from B&Q when the Foxes “pulled one back”. Inevitably my thoughts were “Here we go again”........

BTW Mike, what went wrong with the Blues?

We were toothless up front today. I'm hoping Jackett secures a strong centre forward in the transfer window. Only consolation is Luton and Sunderland drawing so our lead has only reduced by 1 point to four.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by PaulM160

after losing our manager to Stoke this week & with Micky Harford in charge i would certainly take the point we got against Sunderland (and Nathan Jones is now probably realising the job he has sorting Stoke). Sounds like we gave a it a real go according to the stats - see you later in the month Mike!

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by MDS
PaulM160 posted:

after losing our manager to Stoke this week & with Micky Harford in charge i would certainly take the point we got against Sunderland (and Nathan Jones is now probably realising the job he has sorting Stoke). Sounds like we gave a it a real go according to the stats - see you later in the month Mike!

Yes, Paul. A season ticket holder fan of Luton fan I work with says fans were devastated by the loss of Jones and he was a bit down at the prospect of playing Sunderland immediately so I agree it's a very good point.  We're all going into that part of the season where the nerves start to jangle.  Certainly mine are. 

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Kevin-W

Great performance yesterday by the mighty Irons, snuffing out a largely toothless Arsenal. Rice and Anderson superb, Nasri looks like he has real potential. In Pellers we trust!