What DVD have you just watched?

Posted by: u5227470736789439 on 27 November 2005

Just about to watch the secong half of 'The Odessa File.'

All the best from Fredrik
Posted on: 18 April 2006 by rackkit
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Meredith:
"Man on Fire" - Tony Scott. What a talentless director he continues to be.

True dross.

I enjoyed that one. Frown
Posted on: 19 April 2006 by Roy Donaldson
John Legend - Live at the House of Blues.

and what's even better is that I'll be staying at the hotel (Mondrian) next door to it in Los Angeles in a few weeks time !
Posted on: 20 April 2006 by Chris Kelly
"Where the Truth Lies" with Colin Firth and Kevin Bacon, an above average whodunnit.
Posted on: 20 April 2006 by Richard Dane
A few films that were spun on the DVD5 over the last week:

King Kong: A bit of a curiosity this one. Engrossing, at times thrilling, great picture but maybe a bit too long. It could easily have been edited down by half an hour or so and been a much better film for it...

Memoirs of a Geisha: Despite luke-warm reviews, I really enjoyed this one. Beautifully filmed.

Guarding Tess: An older film but one that was recommended to me. The copy I was leant was only 4:3 and a pretty ropey transfer but despite that, a real surprise. OK, I confess, I like Shirley Maclaine and Nicolas Cage which helps a great deal. Not life changing but pleasantly enjoyable light comedy...
Posted on: 20 April 2006 by Tuan
quote:
Originally posted by Chris West NANA:
Firstly... Thin Red Line was meant to say Walk the Line (story of Johnny Cash) in my earlier post - oops!

Yes Adrian, an n-Sub set up for very lowest bass does a great LFE (Low Frequency Effects) job when the DBLS's are used for HT. Those effects piped through the Sub channel that are intended to be felt, really have an extraordinary impact... and combined with the low distortion high SPL capabilty of DBL's the results can only be described as stunning! (note: not just loud)

Nothing else I've heard anywhere comes even close ...in terms of realism.

Did you really watch the movie or just testing the equipment? This looks like a HiFi review of the Naim speaker lines Big Grin (and from a Naim distributor. How unique!)
Posted on: 20 April 2006 by Stuart M
"Kinky Boots" - Worth a watch.
Oh yes, one more... OK, two....

The Business - oh no, he groans, not another british gangster flick.... Well, actually it's better than that. A lot better! Unashamedly a "bloke" film but even my girlfriend enjoyed this one so it must have done something right. Wonderful period (80's) attire and location (costa Del Sol)... remember shell-suits??

Transporter 2 - I rather enjoyed the original. I have even used the intro as a demo piece for the DVD5 and n-Vi. As for the sequel... utter bilge! All you need to see is on the cover...

Tuan, I'm not sure the point of your post... You never got back to me about Montreal.. Did you make it?
Posted on: 20 April 2006 by JonR
Richard,

Whilst you're about did you happen to catch my question to you in the 'N-Vi Crashing Again..' thread, as I would be most interested in your response.

Many thanks.

Jon
Hi Jon,

regarding the length of soak on complex AV products, we are always reviewing this but a resonable line must be drawn somewhere otherwise lead times will be unacceptably long. If an issue arises after a much longer period of time than the intense 48 hours of switching that all our equipment endures then that is bad news but exceptionally rare. If anything is going to go catastrophically wrong it should do so during the 48 hours of soak. In the case of the affected n-Vi's it was exceptional circumstances and I am informed that the problem is solved but checks continue on 30 units in constant use for one more week just to be sure.

OK, apologies for thread hijack...

Richard
Posted on: 20 April 2006 by Roy Donaldson
Faithless Live. Stunning concert on the DTS track again.

Improved all the more with my new 250 doing front L/R work !

Roy.
Posted on: 20 April 2006 by Mr Underhill
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Dane:
King Kong: A bit of a curiosity this one. Engrossing, at times thrilling, great picture but maybe a bit too long. It could easily have been edited down by half an hour or so and been a much better film for it...

I agree, but it has some great moments. I especially remember the T-Rex fight, hysterically funny.

Martin
Posted on: 20 April 2006 by Stuart M
Mrs Henderson Presents - Very english but a bit slow. Worth it for Dame Judy
Posted on: 21 April 2006 by Richard Dane
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart M:
Mrs Henderson Presents - Very english but a bit slow. Worth it for Dame Judy

Yes, another vote for this one and I agree, Judy Dench really steals the show...
Posted on: 21 April 2006 by JonR
Hi Richard,

I appreciate you getting back to me. I accept a balance has to be struck between lead times and testing, and to a large extent I am reassured! Thanks for your explanation.

Regards,

Jon
Posted on: 21 April 2006 by Polarbear
Dave Gimour live in concert - excellent!
Posted on: 21 April 2006 by Mr Underhill
quote:
Originally posted by Polarbear:
Dave Gimour live in concert - excellent!

Yep. Bought it on my way home and couldn't agree more!

Thanks,

Martin
Posted on: 22 April 2006 by Roy Donaldson
Trivial Pursuit DVD game....(not through choice)

and it all worked great !!!
Posted on: 22 April 2006 by olrac
The Dave Gilmour DVD is indeed very good! Much foot tapping!

I just watched the newish Q.T. movie "Hostel"...Pretty gory...don't watch this whilst eating your dinner like I did!

Paul.
Posted on: 23 April 2006 by Chris West
Tuan,

Both watch and test at the time :-)

At home by the way in this case ...and dont forget we (NaimUSA - an independent company) can be enthused naim customers as well as naim vendors. There has to be some benefit to doing this (work) right?

Also it's commonly expected that because DBL's have 15" bass drivers that a Sub is superfluous. I would argue that it makes sense in the case of LFE on home cinema at least... as can be demonstrated (in a single family dwelling!).

Again, I must point out that it's not just a case of SPL (Sound Pressure Level)...that's easily done with relatively cheap gear...but convincing realism that is far better than you can experience in a theatre or in most ad-hoc home cinema audio systems. It surprises me to an extent how good (and bad) the sound engineering can be on movie sound tracks. Explosions for example...all too common demo material for most "loud TV"... can be good (convincing and actually dramatic) or bad (video game like and same old yawners).

Equally important by the way, is the employ of an Axess or better still Axent center channel with ideally NAPV 145.

Anyways I digress...back to topic.

Last friday night = Spinal Tap ;-)
Posted on: 23 April 2006 by Mr Underhill
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Meredith:
Cronenberg no longer seems interesting - just mainstream mundanity. A pity.

With Cronenberg I have found his films, on the whole, more disturbing than entertaining; this is not a criticism.

Spoiler Warning*****

I was disappointed as, from reviews, I was expecting to see a study of the effect that violence had on a normal guy placed in abnormal circumstances. In fact the title refers to the main protagonist.

What we have, in effect, is a mister violence superman.

Spoiler End******

However, I think Mr C. does seem to try to balance something more mainstream, such as HoV and Existenz, against his more usual fair. I suspect that, like Terry G., he has to pay his dues to get funding for his more off the wall projects.

I'd wait for his next couple fo films before writing him off.
Posted on: 23 April 2006 by AV@naim
Bill Hicks: "Sane Man"

The tears are still rolling....
Posted on: 23 April 2006 by PJT
All 6 disks of the LOTR extended...

No wonder I feel like cr*p at work today, switching off at 3:00am! Eek
Posted on: 26 April 2006 by HiDefBob
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Dane:
A few films that were spun on the DVD5 over the last week:

Memoirs of a Geisha: Despite luke-warm reviews, I really enjoyed this one. Beautifully filmed.

I agree. I enjoyed it too. Deserving of its Oscar for cinematography!
Posted on: 26 April 2006 by HiDefBob
Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story.

There are not too many good family movies available these days, but this is one that I would highly recommend! Another fine performance by Dakota Fanning ... she is amazing.
Posted on: 26 April 2006 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Underhill:
I'd wait for his next couple fo films before writing him off.

Agreed - his attempt at Crash was always going to flounder against the book. I had wondered .. if anyone could. But it wasn't to be.