Football season 2018/19

Posted by: Kevin-W on 15 July 2018

Now the World Cup's over, it's time to turn our attention to the domestic leagues in the UK, Europe, South America and elsewhere...

So here's a thread for all matters pertaining to the 2018/19 season - whether you follow one of the giants like Barca, Real, Juve, Man City or Corinthians; or a non-league side.

All are welcome - and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Bob the Builder

Fantastic match at the Emirates yesterday evening I thought that Arsenal were the better more aggressive team but the result was the right one in the end although I'm not getting too excited as dropping 4 points in less than a week isn't great. This was the match where the wheels were meant to come off of Unai Emery's new Arsenal team and Liverpool were going to embarrass us with their attacking genius it was though James Milner who scored and the Arsenal midfield and defence kept Salah, Mane and Firmino quiet for the most part.

Again the little Uruguayan Lucas Torreirar was fantastic and has to be the bargain buy of the year I think he and Guendouzi could form the type of midfield partnership that we have lacked at this club since Petit and Viera.

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Christopher_M

Just so long as my Saints can keep it down to single figures at the Etihad this afternoon.

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by MDS
Bob the Builder posted:

Fantastic match at the Emirates yesterday evening I thought that Arsenal were the better more aggressive team but the result was the right one in the end although I'm not getting too excited as dropping 4 points in less than a week isn't great. This was the match where the wheels were meant to come off of Unai Emery's new Arsenal team and Liverpool were going to embarrass us with their attacking genius it was though James Milner who scored and the Arsenal midfield and defence kept Salah, Mane and Firmino quiet for the most part.

Again the little Uruguayan Lucas Torreirar was fantastic and has to be the bargain buy of the year I think he and Guendouzi could form the type of midfield partnership that we have lacked at this club since Petit and Viera.

It was an entertaining game. Just as well for the Gunners that VAR is not in use in the PL as Liverpool's early 'goal' ruled out for off-side looked legitimate on the replays.  

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Tabby cat

Congratulations Kev,

Great display from the Hammers with Burnley and they looked really hungry.Well pleased you have got Pellegrini....top bloke.Looking forward to the 3 p.m visit of the Saints.Can't see anything but a City win and top of the table.

https://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2018/05/22/08/westhampellegrini2205d.jpg

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/football/2016/05/09/97357713_epa05295275_Manchester_Citys_supporters_hold_banner_with_the_image_of_the_team_manager_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqeo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg?imwidth=450

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Suzy Wong
Christopher_M posted:

Just so long as my Saints can keep it down to single figures at the Etihad this afternoon.

Yeah, anything less than 0-5 to City and we’ll claim it as a “moral victory” 

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Christopher_M
Suzy Wong posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Yeah, anything less than 0-5 to City and we’ll claim it as a “moral victory” 

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Bob the Builder
MDS posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

It was an entertaining game. Just as well for the Gunners that VAR is not in use in the PL as Liverpool's early 'goal' ruled out for off-side looked legitimate on the replays.  

Well that equals out the Saha dive from last week that cost us two points and VAR or not the doom and gloom merchants predicted that Liverpool would over run and embarrass our weak defence and though it will pain many amongst you and also the pundits who declared that Unai Emery could not turn this club around with a budget of just £50,000,000. I take absolute pleasure in saying that Unai has made a believer out of me and has won me round completely.

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by MDS
Bob the Builder posted:
MDS posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

Well that equals out the Saha dive from last week that cost us two points and VAR or not the doom and gloom merchants predicted that Liverpool would over run and embarrass our weak defence and though it will pain many amongst you and also the pundits who declared that Unai Emery could not turn this club around with a budget of just £50,000,000. I take absolute pleasure in saying that Unai has made a believer out of me and has won me round completely.

As a neutral, it's nice to see the Gunners beginning to punch their weight again. I didn't think Emery would make anything like as good a start as he has.  I thought there would be a big rebuilding job after Wenger and that it would take a couple of seasons to achieve it.    

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by wenger2015

I have not had the opportunity to see the game yet, had visitors all weekend....

the papers seem to suggest a draw was a fair result....

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Tabby cat

Well pleased City are top of the league and opened for now a 2 point gap over Liverpool. 67 % possession and running riot with the Saints.Man of the match Raheem Stirling.Champions League next Wednesday at home to Shakhtar Donetsk

https://e2.365dm.com/18/11/768x432/skysports-raheem-sterling-kyle-walker_4476150.jpg?20181104163418

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/31FC/production/_104169721_gettyimages-1057275400.jpg

Posted on: 05 November 2018 by wenger2015

It seems Mark Hughes is under pressure to keep his job......

Gordon Strachan being suggested as his replacement??

Posted on: 05 November 2018 by MDS
wenger2015 posted:

Would be harsh if he were judged on yesterday's heavy defeat.  What did the Saints' board expect playing away at the best team in the PL?

That said wee Gordon would likely be a popular appointment among Saints fans.   

Posted on: 05 November 2018 by wenger2015
MDS posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Would be harsh if he were judged on yesterday's heavy defeat.  What did the Saints' board expect playing away at the best team in the PL?

That said wee Gordon would likely be a popular appointment among Saints fans.   

It’s a very embarrassing result for the Saints.... even bearing in mind it’s against a top side 

Posted on: 05 November 2018 by thebigfredc

You really don't want Strachan.

He took over from Southgate at Boro and wreaked havoc that took his successor Tony Mowbray 3 years to correct. In short, he spent all the parachute payments money on sub-standard, even for the Championship, players from Scotland and had us playing Wimbledon 1980s style football.

I think he's been a disaster at Scotland too. Don't make the mistake of thinking a great player and former fans favourite makes for a good manager - not in this case anyway.

Ray

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by MDS

Tremendous result for Utd away at Juve tonight. Not remotely deserved on the balance of play over the full 90 mins but credit Mourinho for his decisive substitutions.  United's winner definitely due to the Arsenal-reject keeper.  

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by wenger2015
MDS posted:

Tremendous result for Utd away at Juve tonight. Not remotely deserved on the balance of play over the full 90 mins but credit Mourinho for his decisive substitutions.  United's winner definitely due to the Arsenal-reject keeper.  

I think Mourinho’s luck continues to change for the better..... totally undeserving.....

but Juventus missed a hatful of chances to finish the game off.... they paid the price 

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Matteo

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by MDS
Matteo posted:

He does like to be the centre of attention.

Every Inter supporter loves Josè and hates Rubentus (rubare = to steal)

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Tabby cat

Fabulous City display last night with Shakhtar Donetsk.Shame about Stirlings penalty which should never have been but if the ref was happy to give it.Looking foward to the derby with the Rags this Sunday at ours.Should be a tasty game

https://e2.365dm.com/18/11/768x432/skysports-raheem-sterling-man-city_4479699.jpg?20181107214030

I'll watch the game on Sky

Good luck

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by Mike Hughes

Second round of the FA Cup for the 1st time in 4 years or so. We’re proving remarkably competent this season. 

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by Christopher_M

After the Mancs derby, one of the top comments on the Beeb's HYS:

"For fans travelling by road:
M62->M6 busy, M6 busy in Staffordshire and Birmingham, M1 busy near Milton Keynes.

For Man City fans, local buses running a good service."

:-)))

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by wenger2015

Good win for city and well deserved 

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by Tabby cat

Chris,

Your joke made me smile.

Just got back from the Windsor HiFi show so missed all the game and didn't know the result but saw it on the net by mistake as I was looking forward to match of the day (still am).

Well happy tonight.

https://e2.365dm.com/18/11/768x432/skysports-david-silva-manchester-city_4484337.jpg?20181111165432