What is the latest music you downloaded, what resolution and from where?

Posted by: Stevee_S on 13 January 2014

With more music being downloaded I thought it might be interesting to see what forum members are buying and from where. 

The news that HD Tracks are soon to open an online UK store means that more choice is going to be available to us. The variety and quality of downloadable music we can choose from is expanding, MP3 to 24bit studio Masters at 192kHz and beyond.

So what are you buying and downloading?

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by Bert Schurink

16/44 Qobuz

Qobuz deal 16/44

24/96 Qobuz deal

16/44 Qobuz

added the last one which was not part of the deal

24/96

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by Big Bill

Bert some people might consider this as 'bombing' the site.  I wish I had as much time as you to listen to music.

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by nap-ster

How about grouping your listens into one post rather than individually? That would make it a bit easier on the mailboxes of folk who have subscribed to the thread. Happy listening!

Originally Posted by nap-ster:

How about grouping your listens into one post rather than individually? That would make it a bit easier on the mailboxes of folk who have subscribed to the thread. Happy listening!

Or even starting a Bert thread!

There were a couple of posts about Who's Next latest mastering releases.  Whatever you do go for the bonus edition.  It is only slightly more expensive than the standard edition and ProStudio Masters are giving a 10% discount with code SESSIONS at t'moment.

As to the new edition - well simply put it is totally mind blowing, it is brilliant.

I now have this album on:

Vinyl: purchased a few days after its release and I have always loved it.

CD: not sure when this was mastered but boy does it sound dull, it's as dull as an Andre Rieu album and that is saying something.  Actually that is an exaggeration but does serve a purpose.

24/96: mind blowing... I already said that I think.  The original tracks sound wonderful, much more base than my Vinyl copy and sparkling top end and real rhythmic integrity - ie you can't stop stomping your feet and banging your hands.

The bonus tracks are brilliant too: 6 tracks recorded at New York Record Plant Session and 14 Live tracks. The live tracks are amazing and contain a superb My Generation - it's like being there.

Believe me the Bonus edition is worth the few extra sheckles!

Originally Posted by Big Bill:

Ok, got the point - will not bother you guys any further with my downloads.

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by hungryhalibut

I think it's just adding 14 at once that's the issue. The idea of sharing where good deals can be had is great.

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by Bart

There were a couple of posts about Who's Next latest mastering releases.  Whatever you do go for the bonus edition.  It is only slightly more expensive than the standard edition and ProStudio Masters are giving a 10% discount with code SESSIONS at t'moment.

As to the new edition - well simply put it is totally mind blowing, it is brilliant.

I now have this album on:

Vinyl: purchased a few days after its release and I have always loved it.

CD: not sure when this was mastered but boy does it sound dull, it's as dull as an Andre Rieu album and that is saying something.  Actually that is an exaggeration but does serve a purpose.

24/96: mind blowing... I already said that I think.  The original tracks sound wonderful, much more base than my Vinyl copy and sparkling top end and real rhythmic integrity - ie you can't stop stomping your feet and banging your hands.

The bonus tracks are brilliant too: 6 tracks recorded at New York Record Plant Session and 14 Live tracks. The live tracks are amazing and contain a superb My Generation - it's like being there.

Believe me the Bonus edition is worth the few extra sheckles!

Who's Next, from HDTracks . . . this is one of the few recent "deluxe" editions where I will likely listen to the 'bonus' material more than once.  So many of the recent re-re-re-re-releases of '70's rock include bonus material that is at best interesting to hear once.  These tracks are much better than the usual outtake oddities, however.

And it sounds WONDERFUL as well.

Originally Posted by Bert Schurink:

Ok, got the point - will not bother you guys any further with my downloads.

No Bert, don't do that and stop sulking!  It's just when you put up a couple of million it is all I see in my inbox.  Wendy Hurrel and Riz Lateef could be sending me emails begging me to go on dirty weekends with those two lovelies - the ultimate 3some!  But I might miss the email and then how would you feel Bert, I know I would never talk to you again!

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by garrybeardieman

Bart. I've been trying to download a 24 bit FLAC Who's Next from HighResAudio.com

it is unavailable due to "territorial restrictions". In fact, almost everything I've tried to get from HDtracks suffers the same fate and I've given up. I'm looking at ProStudioMasters now. Am I wasting my time trying to get there?

in fact, does anyone know how to get round these territorial restrictions without moving out of the UK?

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by Aleg
Originally Posted by garrybeardieman:

Bart. I've been trying to download a 24 bit FLAC Who's Next from HighResAudio.com

it is unavailable due to "territorial restrictions". In fact, almost everything I've tried to get from HDtracks suffers the same fate and I've given up. I'm looking at ProStudioMasters now. Am I wasting my time trying to get there?

in fact, does anyone know how to get round these territorial restrictions without moving out of the UK?

Use a VPN connection to a server in that country you want to buy from.

VyprVPN is good.

Hola addon for Chrome is good too, though not for all countries.

ProStudioMasters won't work as they require your credit card to be registered to a US or Canada address

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by Bart

Garry sorry I'm in the USA, so I don't have that issue.  Aleg's proposal is what most people do to get around the territorial restrictions; use a VPN / proxy service and designate your presence as being in the States.

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by Jeff Anderson
Originally Posted by Hungryhalibut:

I think it's just adding 14 at once that's the issue. The idea of sharing where good deals can be had is great.

How about 13 - would that be okay ?

Bye

Originally Posted by Aleg:

VyprVPN is good.

ProStudioMasters won't work as they require your credit card to be registered to a US or Canada address

Not true.  I purchased Who's Next Special & Let It Bleed yesterday from them with a Halifax credit card - no problems.  They ask for an address though and I ....................

Try Tor Porject too.

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by sjbabbey

Originally Posted by Jeff Anderson:
Originally Posted by Hungryhalibut:

How about 13 - would that be okay ?

Bye

No, that would be unlucky!  

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by garrybeardieman

Thanks for that folks......

Note if you use Tor Project you will need to add a line to the configuration file torrc

ExitNodes {US}, {CA}

This ensures that you will get an IP address in USA or Canada and that will work with HDTracks, ProStudio Masters does not seem to need this.

Posted on: 12 December 2014 by Nick Lees

VyprVPN is good.

Not true.  I purchased Who's Next Special & Let It Bleed yesterday from them with a Halifax credit card - no problems.  They ask for an address though and I ....................

Try Tor Porject too.

..and you what? I tried and couldn't enter a valid address! Tease

Posted on: 13 December 2014 by Bert Schurink

With the risk of being banned by some people I will create one post with my last buys of the year - I will definitely have a nice long Christmas holiday with a lot to explore (3 weeks of music)...

All downloaded from Qobuz

Posted on: 13 December 2014 by Bart

Supertramp, Crime of the Century, 24-192 from Acoustic Sounds.  The 40th Anniversary edition. 

Most fabulous.  I know I (we) have heard this album hundreds of times and owned many versions.  All I can say is that my Qute 2 / Dynaudio X12's have never sounded better. 

Will listen on the main system tomorrow sometime.

Posted on: 15 December 2014 by Big Bill
Originally Posted by Gary Shaw:

VyprVPN is good.

Try Tor Porject too.

..and you what? I tried and couldn't enter a valid address! Tease

Yup me too!  lie lie lie