System Pics 2018

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 17 December 2017

Welcome to System Pics 2018.

To start things off, here are a couple of pictures of my setup. There have been some big changes over the past year; a 300 and a 555PS, and some extra shelves to accommodate them. 

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by Mike-B

I believe the paste direct facility was opened up for beta testers only.      

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by Filipe

When pasting cover art into the “What are you Listening to.....” thread I try to find one that doesn’t paste as a link. Never understood why it works on some but not others. Most big sites copy as links presumably for copyright reasons. With the Core and UnitiServe this does not seem to be a problem suggesting that the destination of the paste needs to recognise that it has a link which it must use to transfer the image. This suggests that the forum software could be made a bit smarter like other ‘fora’.

Phil

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by james n
Max_B posted:

Nicely done Max. My sort of system and the Ovators really suit the room. 

James

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by Massimo Bertola

Thanks. It only took two pairs (it took four CDX2 and three SN) to realize they were the proper choice. Less than this wouldn't be enough, more than this would – presently – be a source of complexity and uncertainty. 

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by yeti42

The top shelf looks ready for a coffee cup or vase of flowers, it that why the ps are relegated to the floor or do they just work better there?

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by GraemeH

Tab 10 Keep taking the Tablettes. G

yeti42 posted:

The top shelf looks ready for a coffee cup or vase of flowers, it that why the ps are relegated to the floor or do they just work better there?

It's a good question. I am also aware that leaving an empty shelf between the two boxes, etc, but we simply liked a clean top.... For now.

yeti, I've thought about it. I know that the most sensible thing would perhaps be placing the CDX2 on the top shelf, the two PSUs in the middle and the SN on the bottom shelf; in absolute honesty, I had first decided to keep the Naim pair alone, and have a free top shelf for a picture, a cup of coffee, a turntable, or nothing; but I wanted it to be exactly like the others.

When I fell prey of the usual 'empty psu socket' itch, I took two decisions at the same time: to try the Israeli ones, and to try them because they would fit under the lower shelf. For their size and for their sound. Now I realize that with €160 more I could have bought a fourth Guizu shelf and add an XPS and some other *cap: but, again in all honesty, the two Israeli PSUs costed me like a used Naim XPS, and my system seems happy and musical none the less. I don't feel any uneasiness because I keep the two PSUs on the floor, and the man who made them, who has seen the picture, didn't object to their placement... So, all happy.

Graeme,

your profile speaks of TQ, but the shadow of the speaker cables whispers Nordost...

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by GraemeH
Max_B posted:

Graeme,

your profile speaks of TQ, but the shadow of the speaker cables whispers Nordost...

Ha!  Many years ago I had Nordost in a TagMclaren system but that’s definitely TQB in the shadows!

G

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by HiFiman

Added some colour 

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by WilcoFT
Mike-B posted:
vintageaxeman posted:
Vincé 2 posted:

That's really beautiful, Vincenzo. Thank you.

Beauty is obviously very much in the eye of the beholder,  OK for what it is its very nicely done,  but why,  with an NDX I couldn't wait to get my floor & wall space reclaimed.   

Some of us like to see our music, even if the digital stuff is stored on a hard drive which is used for playback.  But my stuff isn't in my living room, so I understand the appeal of less clutter if it's a multi-use room. 

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by Haim Ronen
Max_B posted:

As of 11:38, December 28, 2017. The CDX2, originally from 2002, has been recently completely re-built and brought to 2017 specs. As for the rest, well, sorry but it sounds really good. Speaker wires are NAC A5. IC is Vertere Pulse D-Fi. M.

Max,

Your star-studded configuration looks optimal. It must sound as great as it looks. Time now for Mr. Arthur Moreira Lima to have his say.

H.

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by Bob the Builder

I just don't get the digital library thing it sounds inferior and looks inferior.

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by Eloise
Bob the Builder posted:

I just don't get the digital library thing it sounds inferior and looks inferior.

Assuming you are talking about NAS to streamer vs CDs that’s just rubbish.  It’s the same data... there are many good reasons why NAS storage actually can sound better than playing a CD (mostly due to assured reading of the data on a CD vs real time reading and error correction).

Of course a particular CD player may be better than a particular streamer, but that’s not “proof” that CD generally is better than digital library / streaming.

And “looks” are in the eye of the beholder.

Anyway off topic...

HiFiman posted:

Looks good Max very warm and welcoming and I bet it sounds great 

Thanks! Yes, it sounds great now. I'm glad it looks welcoming: anyone passing near Milano and able to contact me would be welcome.

M

Haim Ronen posted:

Your star-studded configuration looks optimal. It must sound as great as it looks. Time now for Mr. Arthur Moreira Lima to have his say.

H.

H.,

star-studded made me smile. Yes, it sounds good, indeed. And these days Mr. Moreira Lima (his Chopin and his Ernesto Nazareth) are really keeping perfect music company. But this

has been this Christmas's revelation. Perfect for putting the mind and the heart in harmony. Even for me.

M.

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by DrMark
Max_B posted:

As of 11:38, December 28, 2017. The CDX2, originally from 2002, has been recently completely re-built and brought to 2017 specs. As for the rest, well, sorry but it sounds really good. Speaker wires are NAC A5. IC is Vertere Pulse D-Fi. M.

Sai cosa provo per questa stanza ... e le persone dentro - buon anno nuovo!

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by Bob the Builder
Eloise posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

Assuming you are talking about NAS to streamer vs CDs that’s just rubbish.  It’s the same data... there are many good reasons why NAS storage actually can sound better than playing a CD (mostly due to assured reading of the data on a CD vs real time reading and error correction).

Of course a particular CD player may be better than a particular streamer, but that’s not “proof” that CD generally is better than digital library / streaming.

Anyway off topic...

I don't own a single CD or a CDP but would choose that over a Nas  based system if I was forced to choose.

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by nigelb
Bob the Builder posted:
Eloise posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

Anyway off topic...

I don't own a single CD or a CDP but would choose that over a Nas  based system if I was forced to choose.

Surely you made your choice some time ago.

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by Sloop John B
Bob the Builder posted:

Bob the Builder posted:

As Spock often said “fascinating “. 

.sjb

Posted on: 28 December 2017 by Olly
Max_B posted:

Max

I'd like to hear your story on the re-build of your CDX2 to 2017 spec (I searched but I don't think you've posted).  What brought this about, what changes were made to your player and what do you find they have done to the sound?

Thanks 

Olly

Posted on: 29 December 2017 by Bob the Builder
Sloop John B posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

Bob the Builder posted:

.sjb

We can't all be intellectual power houses  some of us are just ordinary, boring everyday people.  That is why I leave the weightier subjects  to those like yourself who are capable of quoting from  Star Trek at will and who of course are obviously less boring and more facinating than me.

Posted on: 29 December 2017 by james n

Pictures chaps, pictures...

Posted on: 29 December 2017 by Atherton
Sloop John B posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

Bob the Builder posted:

.sjb

I recently heard a lovely phrase that springs to mind...social hand grenade.