Hi-Fi Corner

ctPosted: 22 November 2018Last Updated: 24 November 2018
I'm currently running CDX2>NAC72>HICAP>NAP180>SBL and am very happy with the results however as I already have a second, recently serviced, NAP180 I have just managed to source a pre-loved SNAXO242 in order to try the SBLs in active mode. Whilst trying to get to grips with the connection guides I'm afraid I may have either misunderstood the requirements for the equipment I need to have in order to achieve this or cannot find the correct wiring diagram so would be grateful of any...
Re-KidPosted: 29 October 2018Last Updated: 24 November 2018
Could any pro friends provide me some advice before purchasing? My room is about 40 sqm. I prefer vocal, pop, rock and some electronic and have some CDs. While being a serious music lover but a completed rookie of HiFi universe, I happened to read an artical about Uniti series and began to pay so heavy interest in it. To my mind, Uniti presents a much easier way to enter the HiFi world and provides a much convenient source of internet which shall stride on in near future. Now I have these...
eazyryderPosted: 11 November 2018Last Updated: 24 November 2018
Was wondering, from owners with naim amplification into the atc scm11s, and before I actually go ahead and audition the ATCs myself. Is the hype surrounding these speakers justified? What should I expect, and what genre music are they most suited to? Would a nait xs2 have enough oomph under the bonnet or do the atcs require substantial amplification to really get the absolute best from them? My current speakers are AE reference 1s and I am really happy with them but having read so many...
ricsimasPosted: 22 November 2018Last Updated: 23 November 2018
Hi everyone, For the past month or so my Olive system has started making a weird crackling noise when by itself. If I give it a bit of time or turn everything off, it goes away, only to appear again in a couple of days. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? Everything was serviced in the last 4 years at most: 72/SC/135s.
ursus262Posted: 22 November 2018Last Updated: 23 November 2018
Good evening all I have a CD that has a noticeable deep scratch close to the outer edge. Unsurprisingly I can't play most of the last track on the album. Does anyone have any tip for remedying this? Dave
HélènePosted: 23 November 2018Last Updated: 23 November 2018
Hi Charlie, I am from Montreal, Canada and 4 years ago I knew nothing about sound systems and Naim. Went to a dealer to buy a TV who was selling Naim products. Started with a DAC and now I am in the 500 series, with amp, preamp ect. Got hooked very early and very fast. Now, I read a lot about the 555 streamer ( I have an NDS with a 555PS on it) but just cannot imagine how it could be so much better, waiting for a sample to come in the store to listen to it. Can this prodcut really be NIrvana...
amedenPosted: 25 September 2018Last Updated: 23 November 2018
Its coming up to the 5th anniversary of enjoying the wonderful SL2's Following a couple of system upgrades I think it could be time to have a look round at/listen to some of the latest speaker offerings out there...and maybe replace the SL2's... So, plan is to draw up a shortlist to audition of 5-6 speakers/brands...and listen to them in October Reading through the forum, talking to some dealers, and previous listenings, I currently have the following to consider- Focal Kanta 2 and/or 3...
trunkmonkeyPosted: 13 July 2018Last Updated: 23 November 2018
Looking for views on the strengths of Naim amps, particularly compared to Linn. I've been a Linn owner for decades. I'm not unhappy but am curious what Naim does better. I'm not getting any younger so was thinking of buying a used Supernait 2 to compare in my own time without any pressure. Are there types of music that highlight the benefits? Have Naim strengths shifted over time?
K.SulekPosted: 22 November 2018Last Updated: 23 November 2018
Hello I own Naim setup consisting of Nait XS + Flatcap XS + Cd5i and Naca5. My speakers are Dali Grand Coupe, which Nait XS is struggling to drive properly, I am guessing. They sound too slow and veiled to my ears, also somehow too polite. I don't know if its amps fault (too weak) or Dali's just sound like that, being very warm and relaxed speakers. As a remedy I've been offered PMC DB1 Gold. My room is aprox. 17m2 (3,5mx4,5m) What can I expect from PMC's ? Will the bass disappoint me...
Rbt1Posted: 21 November 2018Last Updated: 23 November 2018
Maybe someone has tried or knows if it possible. I have the possiblity to borrow a pair of TP mb100. My Naim amp is a SN2 is it possible to bypass the amp in the SN2 and use only the pre section with the MB100s? I would like to know the sound, I am very happy with my kit now but it just to try.
W12Posted: 20 November 2018Last Updated: 23 November 2018
morning all, i recently bought a naim 200 (services last year) and a naim 272. I set up last week and it hummed quite badly and only worked out of 1 channel. I ordered some naim speaker cable and speaker plugs which have arrived and now there is no humming, but it’s still only working through one channel. Could this be either the 200 or 272? any help is as always much appreciated
BezbPosted: 20 November 2018Last Updated: 22 November 2018
Friends, the topic is not new but I have three options and intrested in your opinions: Now I have got nice Mu-So box but want to grow. Unity Atom seems to be a good choice. And what speakers for them? Now in my list I have Harbeth P3ESR, ProAc Response 1SC (now new) and Opera Prima. First two I heard with Atom. Liked ProAc more. More clear sound, more details, more bass. But the dealer says I will soon understand that Harbeth would be better :-) Opera Prima I heard not with Naim but like...
iliriaPosted: 11 November 2018Last Updated: 22 November 2018
I have noticed that the brand is hardly ever mentioned in these forums despite being amongst the top British hifi brands. Is the rivalry with Naim so fierce? It is funny because even as I am writing this post, in my brain I can hear that tense music that you hear in Western films when everything goes quiet before a shootout. I'm just curious if their products are good enough to match their prices? I am aware of the reputation of the LP12 but what about the rest? Majik speakers any good? And...
MangoMonkeyPosted: 20 November 2018Last Updated: 22 November 2018
anyone had a chance to compare the Wilson audio Sabrina with kudos titans 606s/707s? These seem to be roughly the same price in the US.
PopeyePosted: 21 November 2018Last Updated: 22 November 2018
I definitely find an improvement in my system and it’s musicality later on in the evening at about 10pm onwards. I have my system on its own 10mm supply but this just goes to show how the cleanliness of the incoming power supply has a huge effect on ones system.
TerrysmiPosted: 22 November 2018Last Updated: 22 November 2018
Hi I have an NDX2 and a Michell Gyro Dec going into a 252. I would like to use a DAC v-1 on the system just as a headphone amp. What's the best way to connect please and what cable do I need. Regards Terry Smith
Do Do Ron RonPosted: 21 November 2018Last Updated: 22 November 2018
What's the most cost-effective preloved power upgrade for an original Naim Uniti? I know Naim recommends the NAP200, but that's out of my price range. So Is it worth considering a 150X or 155X, for example, or even a NAP100? Cheers.
lyndonPosted: 21 November 2018Last Updated: 21 November 2018
Anyone with any experience & thoughts with this ? Having recently done some major upgrades to the TT, part of that included an Etna as this has a substantially higher output than the Kandid I started think about the superline E OR is this the only option ? the superline with the super cyro Z air plugs & SC/DR admittedly makes a good noise, but now in keeping with the source first principle I'm now looking for something special So Ive got the Master Groove, it will go back to Wales in...
JoexNaimPosted: 20 November 2018Last Updated: 21 November 2018
What would be the correct way to connect for best vinyl sound? Can you use the HiCap DR to run both Supernait 2 and Stageline like a Flatcap XS? I’m presuming not, so would I get best sound running Supernait 2 with the HiCap or the Stageline with it leaving the Supernait bare?
patoperroPosted: 13 November 2018Last Updated: 21 November 2018
I bought a used NAP200 that occasionally trips the circuit breaker when switched on. Not only that but it puts quite a pop through my speakers. It is definitely no longer under warranty (Serial No.: 251614) and I want to put in a soft-start circuit (DIYaudio) to stop the inrush current from doing any permanent damage. Question is, how do I open the thing. There are 5 hex screws in the base. I can assume the one standing off on its own is the large transformer. Could someone help me out here?
Daniel H.Posted: 08 September 2018Last Updated: 21 November 2018
Former Harbeth owners; how long did you own your Harbeths? Current Harbeth owners; how long have you owned your Harbeths? I am in the process of buying new speakers. I plan on demoing the Harbeth 30.1. I have done a lot of research on the Harbeths (and other speakers). I've noticed a lot of people have owned Harbeths, and a lot of new Harbeth owners love their Harbeths during the first few weeks or months of ownership. I have also noticed that there are a lot of Harbeths that come up for...
drawtheline55Posted: 19 November 2018Last Updated: 21 November 2018
Hello, I have seen some posts on this and I know it may be a little funky, but currently using a supernait.hicapdr into B&W bookshelf speakers, sounds very nice. I have a 282 coming in about a yr old and want to use the power amp section of the supernait. I assume I go out of the 282 into the hicapdr and out of the hicapdr into the power amp in on the supernait. If this is wrong please correct me. My other question is....someone posted this "You would need a hicap for the 282. At this...
JohnboyPosted: 16 November 2018Last Updated: 21 November 2018
Just a simple question, I am looking to buy a NAC202 to go with my NAP200. The question is, is it a requirement to buy the NAPSC for the remote volume control to function from the NARCOM remote? Or will the volume control function without one? Thanks in advance. John
HIFIQUESTPosted: 20 November 2018Last Updated: 21 November 2018
Hi Guys Looking for some help in making a decision with loudspeakers that would complement my Naim equipment. I have a Naim Nac N272 processor powered by a 250DR amplifier connected to NAC A5 speaker cables. My list of speaker considerations are: 1) Spendor D9 2) Proac D48r 3) Focal 1038 be My room size is 16’ wide. 26’deep. 8’high. My music interest are varied and I do enjoy playing loud at times. I listened to the D7’s which sounded great but don’t think they will provide enough bass for...
wildoPosted: 21 November 2018Last Updated: 21 November 2018
I just bought a supernait v1, I use a mini mac to place music normally with all my equipment with Audirvana by Digital Optical cable, the problem is that it does not give me the option in audirvana to play by the optical cable superuniti, to someone Has this happened? Where can I get the supernait v1 manual? is it in Spanish?