Hi-Fi Corner

Hkmike18Posted: 27 November 2018Last Updated: 03 December 2018
Hello to all I walked into my Hong Kong naim dealer last week and found out they are having their yearly sale of demo items this week. What a mistake ???? I began looking at a pair of proac Response DT8 ( or maybe Studio 148 ) they are going to have on sale (price not announced yet) Any thoughts how this would pair with current system CD5X FLAT CAP NAD 150X NAC 122X No way to audition the speakers so a bit of leap of faith apart from positive advice from the staff there. Current speakers proac..
Atom/Iota/Kan StandsPosted: 02 December 2018Last Updated: 03 December 2018
My wife is badgering me for Christmas present suggestions and I am wondering about improving the quality of my commuting music (2 hours a day, 4 days per week, so quite a big chunk of listening time). At the moment I am using my iPhone/Tidal HiFi/basic earbuds, which is OK, but would getting proper 'cans' be a good idea/yield a big improvement, or would I also have to add a headphone amp (I looked at the Hugo but that seems quite expensive)? Also does anyone have any suggestions for the...
sjwPosted: 01 December 2018Last Updated: 03 December 2018
Some online advice for skipping records "You can get a clean record of the music by applying gentle pressure to the tone arm, which will push the needle deeper and the record might play through the skip. You can use a small weight or put your finger on it. This method should be employed if it’s your only option or it might damage the record.'
jarvicsevenPosted: 29 November 2018Last Updated: 02 December 2018
I'd like some advice about my desktop rig please, I'm using, iMac running Tidal Hi-Fi, as The Mac is a 2018 version it has no option to run an optical output anymore, so currently I'm forced to use a Behringer USB>Toslink optical output converter, which considering it was £15, seems less than ideal somehow, AudioQuest Cinnamon Toslink optical lead, would it be worthwhile replacing this with a Wireworld Supernova? Naim Atom, love this thing, very happy with it, Naim Nac A5 speaker cable...
Chris1977Posted: 30 November 2018Last Updated: 02 December 2018
First post here, after years lurking. I’m on the used market for a new amplifier for my Spendor A9 and I’m quite undecided about two options that would cost more or less the same: either a Supernait 2 or a NAC82 + a NAP200 in its mid-lifecycle version. The main source is a Teac UD-501 at the moment, but this could change in the future. Any opinion or advice would be much appreciated, since I have no chances to compare any of these options in my system. And of course, the main question is:...
AceonePosted: 28 November 2018Last Updated: 02 December 2018
Good evening everyone just been looking on flea bay and someone is selling a olive hicap it's been Dr can this be done on olive hicap .
PopeyePosted: 30 November 2018Last Updated: 01 December 2018
hi Guys any of you have any experience with the Townshend audio vibration dampening products and if they work well and make a difference for the money? cheers
mikeybabyPosted: 01 December 2018Last Updated: 01 December 2018
I have two Nait 5i-2 amplifiers that sound different. One is a 2008 build and the other is a 2010 build. They both sound great but they are different in presentation. The 2008 is punchier with more bass and treble but the newer Nait flows a bit better with a flatter sound and a slightly wider soundstage. I dont know which to keep. Did Naim change anything with the later Nait5i ?
ray sheldonPosted: 30 November 2018Last Updated: 01 December 2018
Hi all, Ive persuaded my mother to dip her toes into the Naim world ,whilst replacing her 25yr old Audiolab(unserviced) and old Arcam cd73 with a Unitilite. She's a pensioner and isn't interested in anything big or costly. CD is her only source, although she is aware that the Unitilite will give access to Internet radio, UPnP etc, though I doubt she'll rip her CD collection , but I might persuade that one day! Anyway, having just bought a new smaller house, floor standers or her current...
PPTPosted: 26 November 2018Last Updated: 01 December 2018
Hi all, I’m planning to move progressively from my Supernait 2 to pre amp NAC252 + power amp NAP300. As this upgrade requires a big investment I’m wondering if I can handle it in two steps. Is it feasible to introduce either the NAP300 using my Supernait 2 as pre-amp, or starting introducing the NAC252 as first upgrade using the Supernait 2 as power amp? Please help me in understanding whether one of the two approach can work to split the upgrade into 2 steps. PPT
HamiltonNZPosted: 30 November 2018Last Updated: 01 December 2018
I’m sorry all another question on stacking !!! All I would like your advice on is whether my NDX2 needs to be above my Core in my current stacking order. At present I have two HiCaps at the bottom of the stack. Followed by 250DR up above it. XPSDR above that, NDX2, Core and 282 on top. There is a lot said about having the 282 on the top shelf. In my view this is correct, but should the Core be below this or the NDX2? I know the simple answer is try it, but since thi has just been installed I...
FizzyhairPosted: 29 November 2018Last Updated: 30 November 2018
Am i the only one who thinks that its a bit rubbish that the remote handsets naim put out are so cheap and nasty? I know many manufacturers do it. Sony put out some horrible remotes with high end tvs. But when you unbox a 3 grand Amplifier from one of the UKs most revered audio brands, you dont expect a remote that looks like it shipped with a £20 Bush DVD player lol. To be fair it sounds like every penny of the budget went into the amp. Very very nice indeed. :-D
AceonePosted: 29 November 2018Last Updated: 30 November 2018
Hi can someone tell me which is the best input to plug my linn streamer in to the nac 82 plz.
AceonePosted: 30 November 2018Last Updated: 30 November 2018
Hi I've connected nac 82 up to hicap2 then to nap 250dr and iam getting very faint music coming out of speakers when I turn it up plz can anybody help me .
john sPosted: 28 November 2018Last Updated: 30 November 2018
I've been moving my Ovator 400's to allow some new windows to be fitted and I'm thinking about changing things when they go back. Currently the spikes go through a fairly thick carpet and underlay into a concrete floor. I can adjust them so that the bases of the speakers are (just) above the carpet pile but levelling the speakers is really difficult as the holes in the spikes used for adjustment disappear into the carpet pile. So I've been wondering about standing the spikes in carpet...
Mike SullivanPosted: 04 October 2018Last Updated: 30 November 2018
For some us, listening has to accommodate family life. Rather than a dedicated listening room, our systems go into our living spaces, but we benefit from proximity to the coffee machine and a view and sharing is caring! Here's our system view (the second system is in a media room without a view):
DocvPosted: 14 November 2018Last Updated: 30 November 2018
I’m planning for new speaker cable to connect my olive 52/250 to my KEF Reference II (c2000 vintage). Currently using the cable I obtained when I purchased the speakers...QED silver anniversary: it’s biwired and I want to go back to single wire so I will also need a “jumper”. Thank you for advice/ suggestions.
PopeyePosted: 22 November 2018Last Updated: 30 November 2018
Thoughts on what Naim are likely to be developing next ????
DocvPosted: 04 October 2018Last Updated: 30 November 2018
I have an friendly electrician lined up to fit a dedicated spur for my hifi. Could someone please send a fact sheet or link with recommendations for the cable gauge and fittings which I can pass to the chap. The consumer unit is already there. Should I get 2 spurs? Thank you
PopeyePosted: 28 November 2018Last Updated: 29 November 2018
Hi guys reading the threads lately got me thinking about my upgrade path and how I should probably go. Ultimately I would love to improve on what I have which currently is an NDX/Supernait2. Ultimately I don’t want more than 4 boxes. What is the logical journey I should take. Min my mind I think XPS Dr for NDX then NDX2 eventually. HIcap DR on Supernait2 = nice 4 box system. I have demoed all the options above and I didn’t find much difference with the XPS DR added to the NDX nor much...
eazyryderPosted: 29 November 2018Last Updated: 29 November 2018
Since acquiring my qutest dac I now have the issue of what way to connect it to my novafidelity x12 source, previously I had been using a normal chord digital 75ohm coaxial rca cable, from the novafidelity digital output to my previous hugo coaxial digital input. My novafidelity x12 only supports either rca coaxial or toslink digital outputs. Would I be better to look for a quality toslink to toslink or would an rca to bnc interconnect be the better choice?
SnellersPosted: 29 November 2018Last Updated: 29 November 2018
hi everyone, I’ve had my muso for a couple of years now, as a deliberate toe in the water. I’m now ready to take my first tentative step into a streamer and speakers set up and wondered if there was anyone willing to stick their neck out for me and offer a clear answer on something. I’ve narrowed my choice down to either a Uniqute 2 or a unitilite. I mainly stream my music (hence the muso) so the CD is just luxury. I’ll want to pair with my muso as well. I’ve bought some new b&w 685 s2s...
PopeyePosted: 29 November 2018Last Updated: 29 November 2018
Hi guys. Finished work early and was tinkering. Checked the system plugs and couldn’t believe how much they were tarnished. Have given them a good clean and now lovely and shiny. Made me give all the cabling a good in/out on all leads. Just a heads up and worth a check from time to time! cheers
DynFan160Posted: 26 November 2018Last Updated: 29 November 2018
I read a recent "best amplifiers of 2018" article, which listed the SN2 in its top 10 as still one of the best amps, especially integrated amps, available. The biggest "con" they listed is that it's getting a bit long in the tooth for the price. This leads me to pose the question: whether it comes in 2019, 2020, or whenever, what do you think the SN3 should be / what's on your wish list for it to be? Does NAIM offer room correction? I personally subscribe to the KISS method: those looking...
rackkitPosted: 24 November 2018Last Updated: 28 November 2018
Both via some currrent Black Friday deals. No idea how better the Naim is v the Apple. What would the forum go for?