Hi-Fi Corner

NichPosted: 13 January 2019Last Updated: 14 January 2019
Just had my 72/hicap/140 serviced. Nothing unusual there? Maybe, but on sending them off to Class A through Cymbiosis I found they were only 6.5 years from previous service. I had previously had my Nait 1 serviced and returned (maybe 29 years since any attention!) to fill the gap while the main rig was away and was pleasantly (and profoundly) surprised with the resultant sound quality - in short (after an appropriate run in period of course) it trounced it the 72/hicap/140 on all sources. As...
Jo66Posted: 12 January 2019Last Updated: 13 January 2019
Hi all Naim experts, helpers... , a german DBL owner needs some advice. Some years ago I´ve catched second hand DBL speakers from England. I was looking for them because you can place them near the wall. When I was comparing them directly with my old speakers. The most impressive improvement was their capability to reproduce voices more natural and besides ohter benefits that they had a better low range. Then I had to move in a flat where I listened with partly active speakters (low range)...
HomeawayPosted: 12 January 2019Last Updated: 13 January 2019
Hello all. First time post but been hanging around a while. I am looking to try some new cables and have found some used Tellurium q graphite for less than half full original asking price. Apparently these used to be TQ’s flagship speaker cable. I realise they might be a bit of overkill for my system but the price is less than ultra blacks as we speak. Has anyone any history with these? for reference my system right now is..... nd5xs, Nait xs2, proac d20r, hi cap dr, sometitan audio power...
The Strat (Fender)Posted: 04 January 2019Last Updated: 13 January 2019
Okay I get it
911gt3rPosted: 13 January 2019Last Updated: 13 January 2019
Hi Folks. Have anybody had a dem of the above ingenious contraption, which has been patented and launched recently. As most of us have bass issues this could be the way to go due to their size, which would neatly make a pair blend in to virtually any listening environment very neatly. A pair of these in the corners behind the speakers equals the effect of 3 cubic mtrs of conventional bass trapping and the price of a box upgrade roughly £4 K. Anyone? ATB Peter
benjyPosted: 07 January 2019Last Updated: 13 January 2019
I know that their are lots of Dynaudio fans on this board and plenty of ppl. looking for speakers. Just saw an ad earlier today and checked Dynaudio's web-site. A new line of speakers is coming in February called "evoke". No pricing or where it stands in their own line-up. Looks like they are still rear ported (single large port) so probably need plenty of room from back wall. Would definitely like to hear them.
perizoquiPosted: 10 January 2019Last Updated: 13 January 2019
Dear forum colleagues, A couple years back I fell into this whole Naim thing after hearing a Nova at an audio show paired with my Focal Sopra II speakers. Fully intending to buy a Nova, I came here for advice and ended up buying a NAP 300DR several months later. For the source I couldn't decide between the 272 I auditioned and loved, and the Nova's ability to play the latest file formats and so on (i.e. both airplay and roon). So I got neither, and bought a used Classé streaming preamp as a...
Stephen packerPosted: 12 January 2019Last Updated: 13 January 2019
Richard, you were kind enough to help me establish the date for a few pieces of equipment I had acquired and I wonder if you could cast your eye over these two? I've just picked up a NAC12S and NAP120. The 12S is S/N 0507, - Is marked 'gram' for the phono input (and this is a DIN plug, not phono or BNC). - The volume and balance pots are 'open' types- not fully encapsulated. - The boards on it have the 'knife edge' connectors: - 2 x NA112 Iss. 3 - 2 x NA114 Iss. 3 - 2 x NA116 Iss. 3 (I think...
JeredHPosted: 25 November 2018Last Updated: 13 January 2019
I'm new here, and I've been out of the game for 20 years and just bought myself a new soundsystem! I'm posting to share my listening experience, and hopefully get some usable advice from the forums. The process started with a sizable renovation of my listening room, which I call the "Treehouse". Last week I had electrician install two brand new 20A dedicated circuits (with new house ground to earth), and two Hubbell duplexes. All equipment is less than 1 year old, and the original owner took...
nigelbPosted: 21 November 2018Last Updated: 12 January 2019
I was pretty sure I knew the answer to this one, given all the praise the ND555 has been rightly receiving, and, after all, I have always been a source first bloke. Well it turns out I know nothing! Thinking it was time to move to the new streaming platform and take advantage of possibly one of the best streamers ever made, I was keen to hear the ND555 at home but, due to the steep incline in costs for future upgrades, any upgrading now will need to be done in stages. That means the ND555...
BartPosted: 04 January 2019Last Updated: 12 January 2019
I really wasn't going to get one . . . but . . . my wife miraculously recovered about 30 lp's from her youth. They are in great shape actually. (They were with her ex, and she assumed long gone, but her daughter found them in his basement and grabbed them. ) Original pressings of Beatles albums, etc. I don't see us going DEEP into vinyl; she really wants to listen to her old lp's and so I think she should. And who knows what else we'll find from time to time, etc. Mounting: A wall shelf is a...
BartPosted: 11 January 2019Last Updated: 12 January 2019
I've read the FAQ about why Naim have chosen DIN over RCA. But Rega have not. So my question is, should I expect better results connecting my yet-to-arrive Rega Aria to my 252 via an RCA-DIN interconnect vs. RCA-RCA? Have the benefits of DIN been "lost" because of RCA at the Rega end??
Jonas OlofssonPosted: 12 January 2019Last Updated: 12 January 2019
6 months later, almost 25 years after buying my first CDI-72-140, I have to say that the ND555 is a true game changer. I have owned or used more or less everything built by Naim (almost but not all) and the pleasure this device have give me so far is...outstanding! Its like the first CDS, or 52, or SBL active, its just a great piece of audio equipment. I listened more now then ever, the and chose live recordings, which I always hated, as much as possible. It’s like that article I read from...
dave marshallPosted: 05 December 2018Last Updated: 12 January 2019
Oh dear, communication today from my ever friendly dealer, to the effect that he will have available, next Spring, a new 500 DR , and guess what, his initial offer, to include a trade in on my 300 DR is, at the very least, interesting. Here's the thing though; I'm extremely happy with my present power amp, particularly with the recent introduction of an ND 555. I'll obviously demo the 500 at home, but I am aware that there's a few folks on here who have done the comparison, and have...
mpwPosted: 08 January 2019Last Updated: 12 January 2019
Hello My turntable is the only source right now and its connected to the TUNER input on the Naim SN2 via a phono stage After playing about 3 records - the TUNER light sometimes flashes and goes away and i cannot hear the record and then after few seconds the TUNER light comes back ON and i can hear the record play Today i also saw the CD input light flash for a few seconds.. I switched off everything I saw the instruction manual and it reads TUNER light flashing - over current CD light...
BartPosted: 31 October 2018Last Updated: 12 January 2019
I got to listen to the A3's ($9800 +/-) for about an hour yesterday. Setup at my dealer's very acoustically perfect (meaning, "dead") room was Uniti Nova / 250DR. The Nova was the only pre-amp they had that could connect to the 250; they don't stock much Naim. I used their library via Roon, and I brought a usb stick (into front panel of Nova) with my usual test listen tracks. My current speakers are Devore Nines. The presentation by the A3's could not be more different than the Nines.
Bert SchurinkPosted: 03 June 2018Last Updated: 12 January 2019
I was brave today and pulled the trigger on a warehouse deal of Amazon with a discount of 1100 euros on this magnificent toy. I am still a bit scared as I don’t know what to expect, how well will it look - why exactly has the device been discounted, it talks about some visual thing on the device...., so let’s see if I will get remorse. Potentially this might not be the end of the mobile story as I might also upgrade my Shure SE846 with a Silverdragon Cable or even to upgrade to a Shure...
eazyryderPosted: 11 January 2019Last Updated: 12 January 2019
I have had an offer on a second hand Chord Signature digital coaxial RCA to BNC 1m cable. Cable is in a good condition visually but I am guessing this model chord is quite a few years old. Does anyone know or have any experience of this chord coaxial? What sound should I expect, and is this cable any good? Any help would be great before I dare take the plunge.
steveaxePosted: 06 January 2019Last Updated: 12 January 2019
My system consists of HDX-SSD, NAC 202, NAP 200, Ovator S400 and Chord Mojo with Apple Express for streaming. I want to add top quality streaming, and am considering these options: 1. Keep NAC 202, NAP 200, Ovator S400 and add ND5 XS2 2. Trade-in NAC 202, NAP 200, keep Ovator S400, and replace with Uniti Nova Any thoughts on what is the best option ? And is it worth keeping the HDX-SSD at all in either of these options ?
kdl6769Posted: 11 January 2019Last Updated: 12 January 2019
I am thinking about getting some Tellurium Q Black to connect my Uniti Nova to a pair of Linn speakers, but I have never seen this cable in the flesh and don't have a sense of how bulky it is. On spousal instructions I am replacing some old and very heavy duty Linn cable and would like to find something that is easier on the eye and more discreet. Wondered if anyone who has the stuff could advise if TQ falls into that category. Thanks.
GuinnlessPosted: 11 January 2019Last Updated: 12 January 2019
Does this setup have a compromised ground with signal only running through one Hicap?
Kevin-WPosted: 10 January 2019Last Updated: 12 January 2019
Hi all In my NAC 72 I have MC boards (323s of some sort I think - I need to have a look), feeding a Linn Klyde cart. At some stage later this year I mean to move to a Krystal. My question is, should I get an external phono stage? I'm guessing that most will offer an improvement on the boards - but at what price point? If, say, I've only got £150-£200 to spend, will that offer an audible improvement over what I've got? Or should I just stick with the status quo for now and wait until I can...
KhanPosted: 10 January 2019Last Updated: 11 January 2019
Hi guys, it’s 2019 and I’m on my third Naim setup which is now complete. Through the years I’ve always partnered a different NAC pre to the NAP power amps so I’ve lost sight of where each of NAPs would stand in terms of tone i.e warm or bright. Although I don’t regard any Naim amplifier to be overly bright or warm there is a tone scale nevertheless. So in order of systems. NAC 82 - NAP 300 my first real taste of the Naim sound. And boy was I in for a treat. My speakers at the time were...
skyebridgePosted: 06 January 2019Last Updated: 11 January 2019
I'm about to start using a Garrard 401 + SME-II with Goldring 1012GX MC into a Nac282. Will the deck's RCA plugs go stright into RCA2 on the pre-amp? Or do Ineed a Stageline/Prefix intermediate setup? Thanks for feedback.
EmrePosted: 11 January 2019Last Updated: 11 January 2019
Hello A small question to all friends in the forum can I connect both din to pre and rca to headphone amp and use both ?